Taking a peek at Peppers’ Packers deal

Getty Images

As we break down more deals that were advertised to be something more than they really are, more and more league insiders are pointing out other deals that have had puffed values.

The most common deal mentioned is the contract signed by Packers defensive lineman Julius Peppers.  But there really wasn’t any puffing by Peppers’ agent, Carl Carey.

Carey accurately described the contract as having a mere $7.5 million in guaranteed money and being worth up to $30 million over three years.  However, many have glossed over the “up to,” assuming it’s a straight $10 million per year contract.

Here are the actual numbers.  As Carey initially said, there’s only $7.5 million in guaranteed money, and all of it was earned on the sixth day of the 2014 league year — two days after the contract was signed.  Another $1 million (which isn’t actually guaranteed but as a practical matter is) will be paid in 2014 base salary.

If the Packers decide to keep Peppers for 2015, he’ll earn a base salary of $8.5 million, a workout bonus of $500,000, and per-game roster bonuses that max out at $500,000, if he suits up for every game.

For 2016, the base salary is $7 million with another $500,000 workout bonus and another set of per-game roster bonuses maxing out at $500,000.

That’s a three-year haul of $25 million with another $1 million based on how many games he plays in 2015 and 2016.  Escalators can push another $2 million into 2015 and into 2016.

In an era where fewer and fewer multi-year deals are honored by the teams that sign them, Peppers’ deal really could be only a one-year arrangement, worth $8.5 million.  Whether Peppers is a Packer in 2015 will depend largely on how he plays in 2014.

47 responses to “Taking a peek at Peppers’ Packers deal

1. Meanwhile, the Vikings still gave $20 million guaranteed to a guy who apparently wasn’t even good enough to start on the terrible Vikings defense.

SkoLOL.

2. ariani1985 says:
    Mar 30, 2014 7:05 PM

Worst GM in all of sports
    —————————-
    Apparently you’ve forgotten about the Cowboys’ GM.

3. State of the NFL these days: Great players near the end of their careers must perform or they don’t get paid. Kevin Williams, a top DT for a decade is out of work at 32. Owners have it great, they no longer pay rookies exorbitant salaries based on potential and only have to pay big money to a few key veterans that perform.

The owners keep building billion dollar stadiums, charge season ticket seat licenses to pay for their share of the construction costs and cater to corporations who can afford luxury boxes. The commissioner is slowly converting the game into the National touch Football League (NTFL), and oh, my Vikings are still bottom dwellers. At least the draft coming and we can dream of contending for a while.

4. khmer379 says:
    Mar 30, 2014 1:37 PM
    Bears fan act like Allen is going to take them to the SuperBowl and win it lol get real as long as cutler is your QB it ain’t happening #Facts

____________________________________

Obviously having deep resentment towards the Bears, you are the first person to utter: Allen = Suberbowl = win SB. Not a single Bears fan has said such things on any of these Peppers or Allen articles that I’ve seen, but you just did….J/S #Facts

5. Yeah… Thompson is terrible. McCarthy is terrible. Every player on the team is terrible. And even with all that going against them, they have STILL absolutely owned the division for quite a few years now and they will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

I almost feel bad for the rest of the division… right up until their “fans” start with the yapping.

6. The Packers can point back to world championship just a few years ago. How far back do you have to point vikesarethebest? Oh that’s right, never! Skol. Ice fishing. Skol.

7. Well, “suiting up” isn’t a meaningful action point because Pappers does that easily – and then produces no statistics of worth. We’ve seen way too much of that in Chicago. If the Packers were smart they would have required tackles, hurries etc. for the game bonus to be triggered.

8. What’s the deal with Ariani1985? Based on the 85 I’m guessing your either a Bears fan or about 29yrs. old(long time to go w/o Sb win). More obsessed with hating the Packers then liking your own team(which I don’t even know, I’m just guessing?) shock me once with something insightful about the article.

9. We keep hearing differing stories on this deal. I heard the Packers would have to pay Peppers $15 million in 2015 and if they cut him absorb $5 million in dead cap space. All I know is that we have Peppers for 1 year and I hope he plays like hell.

10. ah, be nice. if it weren’t for ..1985 and pftpoet, we packer fans wouldn’t have anyone to laugh at. keep ’em comin’ ariani… you are HIlarious!!

11. Zinjagirl. ….I forgot more about this sport than you will ever know. I think that ending to that fabulous 15-1 season is still giving you nightmares. ..remind me how that went?

12. What is with all the Cutler hate? He did his job last year, had the Packers beat and the Bears in the playoffs with a couple minutes left in the game. Does he need to play on defense as well to satisfy you meathead haters?

13. ariani1985 says:
    Mar 30, 2014 10:07 PM

it went with the pack winning the division…

something all vike fans like to brag about their franchise doing

0-4

14. imnotsorryisaidthat says:
    Mar 30, 2014 7:17 PM

“he is no reggie white”
    ————————————————–

There are not many who are/were greater. One of the best DL I’ve had the pleasure of watching. I’m not a Packer or Eagles’ fan.

15. ariani1985 says:
    Mar 30, 2014 10:07 PM
    ______________

Well Morten Anderson kicked a 38 yard FG in OT. In what is known as the “Take a Knee Game,” and the Vikings not being afraid to make history became the first team in the NFL to win 15 or more games and not win the SB.

Which doesn’t surprise many people, because the Vikings couldn’t win one in their 50 plus years as a franchise.

That season still haunts Cris Carter today.

16. packersgreenbay says: Mar 30, 2014 8:57 PM

The ’85’ is the year he was born, no doubt. And he just throws stuff at the wall to see what sticks. Typical Viking troll…

17. What is painfully obvious is ‘rational thoughts’ are not possible when discussing this Division….it’s a surprise any of them win a game, ever.

18. Packers defense should be solid this year… Matthews, Peppers, Daniels, Raji back at NT, Datone Jones should improve, Perry… now draft Calvin Pryor and Chris Borland.

19. “If Cutler stays healthy he will have a better year than Aaron Rodgers.”

Is there some new rookie phenom QB named Cutler who’s going to silently burst onto the scene or something?

20. Speaking of “puffed values”….if Peppers earns all that extra money over the coming year(s) — which I’m betting he won’t, because he only plays when he feels like it — I’m sure Rodgers can help the team out by cutting a little out of his enormous salary, right?

Unless he makes some dumb, arrogant, taunting and condescending PROMISE to pay it tosomeone else instead (and puts it in writing, in public), only to welch on it later, like a spineless coward.

I mean, someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t Rodgers still owe that one guy his salary after losing the wager that Ryan Braun, Aaron’s ‘very special friend’ was completely drug-free?

Remember: hashtag “exonerated” and all that?

And while we’re on the topic – didn’t Rodgers ALSO fail to honor his bet with one of the singers from Boyz II Men (that he would wear a 49ers jersey for a week, if the Niners beat the Pack?)

Look, I have no horse in the this race. I hope Peppers plays just as constently for the Pack as he did for the Bears. *snicker*
    And I’m no Brewers fan…I’m not the guy Aaron actually owes his salary to (or bet your cheesecurds, I’d be in court!)…and I hate the music of Boyz II Men, and I’m definitely no Niners fan.

I just can’t believe someone as prominent and looked-up-to as Rodgers can have such an obvious moral failing – and be such an utter failure in what most of us know what it means to be MAN (what did Scarface say about a man and his “word”?)- and yet Rodgers continues to get a free pass from the fanbase and the media?

Wow.

If that were Cutler, for one example, the media would’ve given him a complete evisceration by now. Total character assassination. Heck, that poor guy gets crucified over the dumbest stuff…and yet carries on in spite of it.

Maybe the media (insiders, those who know him best) just know that Aaron’s WAY too…ahem, “sensitive” to be able to take that kind of criticism?

Anyway, all this does go back to Peppers and the idea of “puffed values” (or in Rodgers’ case – a lack of values). It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

21. After reading some of the posts I now realize that the Viking fans have a championship to celebrate….they are “Champions of Selective Memories.” It’s like bragging about stuff that hasn’t happened yet…..but in reverse. True Champions. Be Proud.

22. “Correct you if you’re wrong????” I am at a loss where to begin or when to end. I’ll do the next best thing;

You’re wrong.