Brandin Cooks: I can do it like DeSean Jackson and do it better

d74cfcc3c240cdeb914f67994f6ae97e Getty Images

Now that DeSean Jackson is officially a member of the Redskins, one of the questions to ponder is what the Eagles will do to replace his production in their offense.

The arrival of Darren Sproles in a trade with the Saints and the return of Jeremy Maclin from a torn ACL should both be part of the plan, but the team will also have a chance to address the receiver position during the draft. Adam Caplan of ESPN reports that Texas A&M’s Mike Evans is on the radar, although Philly would likely have to trade up to land him, along with Oregon State’s Brandin Cooks.

At 5-10 and 189 pounds, Cooks has a similar frame to Jackson and he’s expected to come off the board somewhere around the 22nd overall pick owned by the Eagles. Should Philly decide to go in that direction, Cooks says they’ll be getting what they lost in Jackson and more.

“His game is unbelievable,” Cooks said, via Jimmy Kempski of Philly.com. “The man can blow the top off, catch the deep routes, catch the underneath routes, produce in the return game. He’s just special. He’s a freak. I definitely admire his game. Maybe Chip Kelly is looking to take another speedy receiver in that first round, and that could be me. Who knows? And if that’s the case, a lot of people will wonder ‘Can he do it like DeSean Jackson?’ In my opinion, I can do it like him and do it better.”

Clemson’s Sammy Watkins is widely regarded as the top receiver in the draft with Evans also expected to go early in the first round. Cooks, USC’s Marqise Lee and LSU’s Odell Beckham are the next three receivers on most lists and the Eagles should have a chance to grab one of them to help fill the void left by Jackson once May rolls around.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Draft, Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Brandin Cooks: I can do it like DeSean Jackson and do it better”
  1. kcflake says: Apr 3, 2014 11:38 AM

B Cooks Numbers are Freakish. Hope My Chiefs have a chance to bring him on board. Would totally open the Chiefs offense to have a supreme deep threat.

2. hanspard says: Apr 3, 2014 11:46 AM

I tend to agree. This guy is going to go later than he should because he isn’t tall, but he’s the real deal.

3. valentino8100 says: Apr 3, 2014 11:53 AM

How many downs has he played in the NFL?

4. therealtrenches says: Apr 3, 2014 12:03 PM

I think Chip will opt for someone with more size.

5. buddysguys says: Apr 3, 2014 12:06 PM

Benjamin for FL ST should not be overlooked along Martavius Bryant

6. cardiovascularendurance says: Apr 3, 2014 12:09 PM

Would love this guy, but the Eagles need a Safety so badly I think they’re going to have to pass.

7. ejm845 says: Apr 3, 2014 12:13 PM

Chiefs have no chance at cooks cause they pick after birds

8. birdzflyinhigh says: Apr 3, 2014 12:14 PM

Chip Kelley seems to be more interested in bigger WRs, I could be wrong, but I think Kelvin Benjamin from FSU is who Chip is really targeting (assuming he takes a 1st rd WR).

9. bmore44 says: Apr 3, 2014 12:17 PM

Ravens !

10. phillyshouldsignmaclin says: Apr 3, 2014 12:20 PM

We want Pryor

11. n0hopeleft says: Apr 3, 2014 12:31 PM

Too bad the Giants pick before the Eagles, and a WR on the outside is a need. Putting Cruz back in the slot = problems for the rest of the NFC East.

12. eagles92 says: Apr 3, 2014 1:01 PM

Mark my words the eagles probably won’t draft him but he will be the real deal in the NFL this guy has boat loads of talent. He is fast and he is strong. He is willing blocker and he put up 225 16 times thats not bad at all from the WR position. And this guys run after the catch ability is unreal.

13. haaaaasoooooo says: Apr 3, 2014 1:33 PM

I really think the steagles should go for a bigger WR/TE in the first rd. If Hingle Mckringleberry falls to them, they should grab him. I hear he has 4.3 speed, and we all know what that means!

14. bpjensen says: Apr 3, 2014 1:45 PM

Gotta love humility.

15. 10and46httr says: Apr 3, 2014 2:33 PM

Good luck kid? The Eagles just got rid of a guy cause Chip Kelly thought his mouth over shadowed his offense. Not a good way to go about becoming Chip Kelly’s offensive go to guy.

16. thefirstsmilergrogan says: Apr 3, 2014 3:05 PM

chip has seen him play up close. he brings all the same attributes as desean. my guess is would be another speedy piece on the offensive side of the ball and as a mid first-round pick won’t break the bank. the only real question is does chip want him and would they have to move up a couple spots to get him….

17. greymares says: Apr 3, 2014 3:12 PM

people saying the Eagles will draft a safety are correct but if Pryor or Clinton are gone they can wait until rd. 3. If they go receiver there are 4 or 5 guys with the same skill sets.

18. bigjayoakersonfan says: Apr 3, 2014 11:21 PM

This cat is like a human joy-stick. He has tremendous change-of-direction skills and is a threat every time he touches the ball.

Reminds me a bit of Dante Hall-the old Chiefs return man.

19. rogerrodgers says: Apr 5, 2014 3:06 AM