Chris Johnson: I’m looking forward to the next chapter

12fc3944c0e705ad8d4107e96060c4ba Getty Images

Running back Chris Johnson’s time with the Titans came to an end on Friday after one 2,000-yard season and 7,965 yards over six years overall.

The end of the line came largely because the contract Johnson signed before the 2011 season was set to pay him $8 million, far more than his production over the last four years warranted. Johnson didn’t harp on the end of his time in Tennessee in a statement he released on Friday afternoon, choosing to focus on thanking the Titans while looking ahead to future opportunities instead.

“I’d like to thank all of my teammates, the fans, the staff and the coaches who have supported me throughout my journey with the Titans,” Johnson said. “I have grown so much as an individual and as teammate over the past few years, and I am excited about the opportunity to bring my experience and talents to a new organization. I’m looking forward to the next chapter and can’t wait to contribute to my new team.”

There have been various reports of interest from teams like the Jets, Dolphins and Cowboys, while PFT’s Michael Wikening put together a list of potential suitors that numbers 19 teams. We should start to get a better idea of which of those teams (or one that didn’t make the list) Johnson will be joining in the next few days.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans
23 Responses to “Chris Johnson: I’m looking forward to the next chapter”
  1. grimreaper12 says: Apr 4, 2014 4:53 PM

Enjoy seven in the box because nobody is afraid of Geno, Vick, or Decker.
    #WEGOTREVIS

2. thepftpoet says: Apr 4, 2014 4:54 PM

The next chapter in the NFL =

Cordarelle Patterson winning MVP
    Captain Munnerlyn winning Defensive Player of the Year
    Mike Zimmer coach of the year.
    Adrian Peterson winning Super Bowl MVP.
    And capping it all off with us hoisting the Lombardi trophy.

3. captainwisdom8888 says: Apr 4, 2014 4:57 PM

I can definitely see this guy in Miami. Other than that…maybe Cleveland or Arizona.

4. Corey Jeppesen says: Apr 4, 2014 4:58 PM

How do you leave off the interested team, THE BILLS. Always looked over here. The were in trade talks with the Titans. Spiller and Fred Jackson are FA’s after next season. CJ2K would be a nice HB moving forward.

5. trubroncfan07 says: Apr 4, 2014 5:09 PM

Come to Denver and he won’t be having anyone stack the box.

6. ErinAndrewsStopCallingMe says: Apr 4, 2014 5:12 PM

Yes I’m sure “he” released that statement. The dude can’t even speak anything close to a comprehensible language.

7. nofaceangler718 says: Apr 4, 2014 5:17 PM

overrated. Not that I care about the Jets anymore now that they signed Vick, but if they sign him it should be to a 2 or 3 yr contract for 5 mil a yr tops. If they can’t get him for that then let him go somewhere else. RBs don’t matter in the NFL anymore and you are better having 3 different guys who each have a different skill set for 1-4mil each than having a “star” rb who costs more than 5. Also, this guy is way past his prime and, except for the 2 games a yr where he busts off a 60+yard run, won’t make much of a difference on any of these teams.

8. hungbob says: Apr 4, 2014 5:30 PM

Johnson said he would not take a pay cut for the Titans but the piece of crap will have to take a pay cut to sign with any team in the league. No one is going to pay him 8 mil a year, the high of what a RB is getting now is 3.5 mil a year.

9. drunkwino says: Apr 4, 2014 5:38 PM

Next chapter? Dude, your last chapter was the epilogue.

10. bennyb82 says: Apr 4, 2014 5:44 PM

Hopefully this chapter is more numbers and less words.

11. thegreatgabbert says: Apr 4, 2014 5:55 PM

After much consideration Chris has decided to call it Chapter Two.

12. intelligent cement says: Apr 4, 2014 5:57 PM

I’d pay to hear him say that press release out loud.

13. floratiotime says: Apr 4, 2014 6:18 PM

Bagging groceries.

14. tennesseetitan78 says: Apr 4, 2014 6:28 PM

Thanks for the memories CJ, wish u the best!!!

15. trollaikman8 says: Apr 4, 2014 7:04 PM

Stay away from them scrip clubs or you’ll be filing for Chapter 11….

-Adam Jones

16. EJ says: Apr 4, 2014 8:08 PM

CJ Spiller and Chris Johnson as a 1-2 punch up in Buffalo? CJ + CJ, Wanna talk about speed? Teams would have to stack the box with those two in the backfield, which would open up the passing game for EJ and let him develop into the QB the team knows he can be. The only big negative about bringing him to Buffalo would be the fact that they would probably cut Fred Jackson, which wouldn’t make many fans in Buffalo like the move. I believe picking up Chris Johnson would be interesting, but I like Fred Jackson and what he brings to the table(Power running with finesse, Stiff arms from hell, major player in the passing game and great teammate/captain), so if it were up to me, which it’s not, I would say no. Keep the Bills backfield the way it is Whaley.

17. thegreatgabbert says: Apr 4, 2014 8:16 PM

After listening to Chris talk it comes as no great surprise that it took him six years to get through the first chapter.

18. texansfalcons says: Apr 4, 2014 8:36 PM

If only he had a better attitude.

19. arcuesta730 says: Apr 4, 2014 8:50 PM

I hope DENVER makes a concerted effort to bring Johnson into the fold. If Moreno amassed the season stats that he did facing 5 and 6 man fronts, imagine the numbers CJ can put up. And contrary to popular notion, Johnson is a pretty good pass blocker in the backfield, as rated by PFF….how else would he be the 3 down back that he’s been his entire career.
    A Manning / Johnson combo in the backfield would be virtually unstoppable.

20. johnniemayes says: Apr 4, 2014 10:45 PM

Broncos should go after CJ if there’s even a hint of interest from the Patriots. IF the Broncos don’t go after him it says they’re going all in with Ronnie Hillman which is very scary.

21. djshnooks says: Apr 4, 2014 11:07 PM

If the Bills got Johnson, it would be to trade Spiller before the 2015 draft.

Fred Jackson will retire a Buffalo Bill. He does what is best for the team and *IF* they kept both CJ’s, Fred would mentor them both and remain the captain. He is a team first guy. He’s a leader. He loves the city and team…and he just wants to win.

But again, this is all about trade pieces…and Spiller would fetch a lot.

22. jeffblast36 says: Apr 5, 2014 8:38 AM

Can’t wait for him to talk to the press if jets sign him. Will he show them he is ready for NY ? I think not . Just wait for those post game interviews . You fans will love them.

23. mysterytonite says: Apr 5, 2014 10:05 AM

“I’m looking forward to the next chapter.”

By that you mean a pay cut? I guarantee this guy takes 2 months to sign due to his delusional and overvalued ego. Going from 8 million to 3.5 million is going to sting. Someone is going to be SAL…..TAY….