Barkevious Mingo trying to gain weight, “psyched” to play for Mike Pettine

Barkevious Mingo AP

For most people, the inability to put on weight despite eating pizzas loaded with fattening toppings would be an enjoyable trait to have.

For Browns linebacker Barkevious Mingo, though, it is a problem. The Browns want Mingo, who was listed at 240 pounds in his rookie season, to be heavier when the 2014 season gets underway and Mingo is doing his best to give them what they want. He told the Browns website that he frequented a pizza parlor in his hometown before reporting back to work with Cleveland and often ordered a pie topped with Canadian bacon, bacon, sausage, Andouille sausage, and jalapeños, but gaining weight remains problematic.

“It’s been really hard because I still burn it off; I can eat what I want,” Mingo said.

If Mingo can get himself beefy enough for the Browns’ liking, he should have a prominent role in new coach Mike Pettine’s defense. Pettine helped the Bills to 57 sacks as their defensive coordinator last season and Mingo, who had five sacks as a rookie, was drafted to get after quarterbacks, which makes it no surprise to learn that he’s “psyched” to play for Pettine this season.

And the Browns will be psyched if some of those pizzas start showing up when Mingo steps onto the scale this offseason.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
31 Responses to “Barkevious Mingo trying to gain weight, “psyched” to play for Mike Pettine”
  1. datageek94 says: Apr 8, 2014 5:18 PM

I’m jealous. I merely think about eating something, I put on weight. Still, you gotta admit – he’s got the greatest name ever for a Cleveland Brown.

2. hoopieguy says: Apr 8, 2014 5:31 PM

I sure hope this guy is pumped. He was a major under achiever for us last year. I hope Pettine coaches him up

3. kwjsb says: Apr 8, 2014 5:31 PM

Personally, I am glad he has that metabolism, remember a guy named Mel Turpin? Cavs told him he needed to put on weight to develop a NBA body.
    Unfortunately he did it all at McDonalds and the thing he developed was a new Nickname…. Fatz Turpin

4. calhounlambeau says: Apr 8, 2014 5:34 PM

He’s just going to get hurt. When you tell a naturally thin player to put on weight quickly their body isn’t used to it and they get hurt. Happens to nearly everyone who does it. Hopefully I’m wrong. I see these stories every off-season and I just shake my head every time.

5. buckybadger says: Apr 8, 2014 5:51 PM

Eating Pizzas is a very dumb way to try to gain muscle weight. Get a trainer.

6. meatcarroll says: Apr 8, 2014 5:55 PM

You are now aware that Barkevious Mingo literally has a brother named Hughtavious. Awesome.

7. drewbreezy2 says: Apr 8, 2014 5:58 PM

I’d rather see him gradually put on the weight and let his body and conditioning get used to the extra weight over time, if he puts it on too quickly that could be trouble. The kid is quick and strong as is, lets get working on his pass rushing moves first, there was a reason he started with 3 games and 3 sacks. He was predicable once teams got some film on him, the film don’t lie…

8. ravenswhat says: Apr 8, 2014 5:59 PM

I’m pretty sure adding fat is not what they have in mind.

9. 4512dawg4512 says: Apr 8, 2014 6:04 PM

Eating like that in attempt to put on/maintain weight is very hard on the body.

10. Matt dog from C-town says: Apr 8, 2014 6:08 PM

You would think at the NFL level , he would have a better plan for putting on weight.

11. SeattleJones says: Apr 8, 2014 6:08 PM

Super Bowl Champs!!! Seattle Seahawks 56- Cleveland Browns (yes it’ll happen) 3!!! Dangeruss 5 Td Passes Percy 4 TD receptions, Beast Mode 204 Yds!!! DYNASTY!!

12. prosportswashington says: Apr 8, 2014 6:16 PM

I think it is possible that he may have been kidding about how he is trying to gain weight. I am fairly sure that an NFL player is aware of how to “bulk up”

13. bigezbob says: Apr 8, 2014 6:20 PM

It’s the Jalepenos!!!!!!!!
    Cut them out-then again it will affect his reading time…

14. Big Ant TV says: Apr 8, 2014 6:21 PM

mingo dont overdue it bro but we need ya sacks

15. Pittsburgh Steelers says: Apr 8, 2014 6:44 PM

Mingo + Kruger = 9.5 sacks last year.

#beastmode

16. craniator says: Apr 8, 2014 6:48 PM

This guy sounds like me.

17. dubblelznhell says: Apr 8, 2014 6:49 PM

No doubt. He should be drinking protein shakes with creatine and andro lol. But seriously, any legal supplements plus more intensive work out regimens will bulk him up more than just eating pizza lolol

18. craniator says: Apr 8, 2014 6:50 PM

. . . in terms of being able to eat whatever he wants , not of playing for Mike Pettine . . . although if they wanted me to play on special teams or something , I wouldn’t necessarily be opposed to that.

19. jetsforlife says: Apr 8, 2014 6:52 PM

Maybe he should eat pizzas w/ burleson, I’m sure he’ll receive a crash course then!

20. trollaikman8 says: Apr 8, 2014 7:16 PM

Tell him to talk to Lamarr Woodley about gaining weight (and getting slow).

21. usmutts says: Apr 8, 2014 7:27 PM

Get stronger. Stay fast. Learn your trade. The weight will come.

22. 100uv says: Apr 8, 2014 7:28 PM

If they want him to be fat, then eating pizza everyday won’t be a problem. But to gain weight properly, go see the team nutritionist, get to the gym, that way probably he will look healthier and last longer for his career’s sake.

23. dthiggindawg says: Apr 8, 2014 7:46 PM

Need not worry! The Browns Trainers are very capable of bulking up players through a set diet and workout plan. I personally watched as my friend (a former browns defensive tackle) put on 30-40 lbs between camps and the first game of the season. The hardest part is keeping the weight on!

24. barkinatbirdsinseattle says: Apr 8, 2014 7:55 PM

MINGO SMASH!! NOT AARON CURRY!!!

25. boltjolt says: Apr 8, 2014 8:11 PM

The biggest reason I didn’t like him as a 3-4 OLB for my Bolts…..serverely undersized and thought he wouldn’t be able to bulk up and keep it on.

26. rajbais says: Apr 8, 2014 8:17 PM

Aaron Maybin 2.0???

Maybin tried to gain weight and every time he did he did nothing.

Either you have to play at your current weight or build it up over time. Doing it too soon might make him unathletic.

27. tanstewie says: Apr 8, 2014 8:33 PM

Ask the cafeteria lady what the walrus mike holmgren ate while there. Should add 20lbs in a week

28. ballboy48 says: Apr 8, 2014 8:40 PM

Uhhh…SeattleJones…it won’t happen because Cleveland doesn’t play Seattle. #fairweatherseahawkfan

29. bigtime1957 says: Apr 9, 2014 4:40 AM

sad another first round bust, and I really believe they will have a bad draft this year again, and before you call me names, just remember I have facts to back up my claims all you have is blind hope,

30. digitalsasquatch says: Apr 9, 2014 10:27 AM

Hire a nutritionist; hire a trainer.

31. oldcracker says: Apr 9, 2014 4:48 PM

Some weight will come on with age. However, for the time being, and the sake of your career, see an MD get a sensible plan set up. Browns team doctor and trainers can then work with that plan.

If you add just fat, you’ll slow up your reaction time and just get hurt….your responsibility. If the Browns staff sets you up and you get hurt…their responsibility.