d1128197161613b8d3397e34d4563b1e AP

The Jets are scheduled to head to SUNY Cortland for training camp again this summer, but more than 2,500 people have signed a petition in an attempt to keep quarterback Michael Vick from joining them.

Posted on change.org, the petition calls on SUNY Cortland president Erik J. Bitterbaum to bar Vick from stepping foot on campus as a result of his conviction on charges related to dogfighting. Vick served 19 months in prison after the conviction in 2007, halting his playing career and eventually leading him to sign with the Eagles once he had completed his sentence.

“If we welcome Vick onto our campus, we are complicit in his crimes. We are sending the message that, for money and publicity, we will turn a blind eye to the horrors of dogfighting. I don’t want to be that person, and I don’t want SUNY Cortland to abandon its principles so easily,” the petition reads.

The Jets declined to comment when reached by the New York Daily News, although it is hard to imagine that they’d go up to Cortland to train with one of their players barred from participating in camp. The school did not respond to a request for comment.

Permalink 73 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
73 Responses to “Petition started to keep Vick from attending Jets training camp at SUNY Cortland”
  1. buddysguys says: Apr 8, 2014 8:03 AM

get over it people, this may have worked when he made his comeback to NFL but seriously 6 years later?

Little late to the show.

2. dankinator says: Apr 8, 2014 8:03 AM

People are so petty. Let it go. He’s served his time and went above and beyond to try to right a wrong.

And I bet most of the idiots that signed this have no problem eating a big ole burger or steak, after the cows went through even worse abuse. Hypocrites.

3. johnripon says: Apr 8, 2014 8:04 AM

Oh please. Vick did his time and paid for his crime. He was a model citizen in Philadelphia. Move on people!

4. reed20fence says: Apr 8, 2014 8:04 AM

Oh puh-leez. I love my pets but this is just beyond dumb.

5. pabrownsfan says: Apr 8, 2014 8:04 AM

What a bunch of complete tools.

6. xinellum says: Apr 8, 2014 8:07 AM

SUNY gets an influx of people and money and if they don’t want Vick, pull the whole training camp and move it to somewhere that they appreciate the money. Vick has done his time, has been a model citizen, has done work to raise funds for animal awareness and people need to get a life. Pull the money and the Jets from SUNY and you will hear a lot more from people who stand to lose big time. This is where the community needs to police itself and make those who complain suffer as well.

7. dmg662014 says: Apr 8, 2014 8:07 AM

No problem with wife beaters, drunk drivers, thieves, racists or PED users, just dog fighting. Strange.

8. tomcous says: Apr 8, 2014 8:08 AM

Dog fighting is atrocious! … Continuing to badger someone years after he was both incarcerated and has re-entered into society is also atrocious!

I’m not a Vick fan, but I do know several “Good-People” who have done “Bad-Things”. That happens!

Ask for Vick to speak out against his past or leave the situation alone. Going beyond that is pure harassment!

9. truthfactory says: Apr 8, 2014 8:08 AM

——

I wouldn’t want to be the person that cant see past a mans former mistakes. By all accounts, Vick genuinely appears to be a changed and remorseful man. This is the most important part of the story in my opinion. If he was just going through the motions and putting on a show for everyone, then I would understand not forgiving him.

But if someone goes through all this and does his time and has become a better person because of it, then I do believe people should be able to forgive. I’m sure anyone who is still holding on to this would not want to be forever judged on some stupid actions you did while in your youth, so why do that to someone else?

10. mustbechris says: Apr 8, 2014 8:08 AM

College kids are so cute when they’re mad

11. spasticpickle says: Apr 8, 2014 8:08 AM

Good thing Kellen Winslow isn’t on the Jets anymore… That would have been an awkward petition…

12. babych99 says: Apr 8, 2014 8:08 AM

The dude paid his dues, did his time, let it go people.

13. koufaxmitzvah says: Apr 8, 2014 8:09 AM

All of my dogs have been awesome pets. I have a soft spot for a pooch who just wants to do well by his/her Master. To protect the family, and to patiently wait for a chance to eat a morsel that falls from my plate. Mike Vick did his time. Mike Vick has shown remorse. Mike Vick has changed.

14. olcap says: Apr 8, 2014 8:09 AM

The school will make its point whether the Jets and Vick like it or not. Simply by protesting Vick being there, they make it clear that they do not believe he was punished for the crimes he committed, but was never tried on due to a lame prosecutor.

15. uncommon1 says: Apr 8, 2014 8:10 AM

I like dogs and I hate what Mike Vick did. That said, he was punished. He served his time. The American Criminal Justice System is built around the idea that people can be “rehabilitated” and return as a functioning part of society. Let the man work.

16. lightcleric says: Apr 8, 2014 8:10 AM

The man served his jail time. It was a horrible crime, but he’s done everything he can to repent and has been a good citizen and teammate since. Let him have his second chance.

17. enochmh2 says: Apr 8, 2014 8:12 AM

I’m not advocating what vick did at all but come on people,he did his time in jail and I highly doubt he’s done it since then. Let the guy play his football

18. harbor6261 says: Apr 8, 2014 8:12 AM

Come on dawg, let it go!

19. jocyn says: Apr 8, 2014 8:17 AM

Anyone who’s ever been to Cortland, NY will understand. Doesn’t matter what it is.. natural gas drilling, Vick, you name it… they oppose it.

20. thefirstsmilergrogan says: Apr 8, 2014 8:17 AM

while not doubting the sincerity of the effort, perhaps they should uphold cortland’s other principle that says when someone has been released after serving a prison sentence, they have paid for their crime and deserve another chance…

21. bigshea24 says: Apr 8, 2014 8:20 AM

This is utterly ridiculous. The man spent 19 months IN JAIL for his crime. Many people have been punished far less for far worse. He’s on the Jets now; if you choose to not support the team due to Vick’s past, that is your prerogative. But it doesn’t make anyone that wants to support Vick and the Jets “complicit” in any crime or viewed as accepting of dogfighting. SUNY Cortland should focus on educating its students and cashing those checks from the Jets.

22. adebessi says: Apr 8, 2014 8:20 AM

Vick has been a superb role model since returning to the league after his prison stint. These people need to get a life. They put more value on life of animals than humans.

23. drdoom82 says: Apr 8, 2014 8:21 AM

Let it go dang, he did two years in prison, lost everything. If you don’t like it don’t watch the jets.

24. kordogg says: Apr 8, 2014 8:23 AM

I don’t even understand why he was incarcerated. Sorry to say but a dogs life is less valued than a humans life. He wasn’t staging toddler fight clubs. Animal abuse is awful but what if he was making Iguanas fight to the death? A very small segment of the population own reptiles, and a lot of people own and cherish dogs. It just depends on the animal. Got ya.

25. gashmr says: Apr 8, 2014 8:28 AM

He paid his debt. This is an example of when is enough punishment enough. This is America and he has the right of any human to be employed. You may not like him or what he did but he’s piad for it under the law.

26. kashiftheillest says: Apr 8, 2014 8:30 AM

This is sad. How do they expect people to change if they keep treating them like a criminal. And wasn’t the government at one time trying to extinct pit bull? Either way the man did his time. Now let him do his job.

27. rjmarrella says: Apr 8, 2014 8:31 AM

I started a petition too. No more idiots allowed in decision making positions….

28. wabbitslayer says: Apr 8, 2014 8:31 AM

They can hold camp in my backyard. For the money the Jets are paying, I’ll turn a blind eye to whatever the players want to do.

29. catfish252 says: Apr 8, 2014 8:33 AM

I can’t believe they found 2500 narrow-minded little people to sign that petition. Since his arrest and release from jail, Michael has performed PSA’s for the ASPCA, has been allowed, by the court, to own dogs again, speaks out at events against the things he did, helps educate children about his misdeeds. This was almost 8 years ago – don’t you think it’s about time to let the anger go?

30. gbmickey says: Apr 8, 2014 8:43 AM

No one is saying he didn’t serve his time they just don’t want to be associated with him as many of you don’t want to associate yourself with an ex convict. So tell me people just because someone serves their time for rape, aggravated assault, robbery, child abuse, etc you would just as easily forgive and forget and you would befriend him or just accept them living next door? I imagine PETA is behind this but what he did was heinous and it was all for fun. Someone like that is not normal. Lastly I do not condone the other crimes players have committed and are in the league playing. I wouldn’t mind seeing the NFL clean itself up a bit.

31. dollarbill247 says: Apr 8, 2014 8:45 AM

This is ridiculous. He served his time.

32. bnn52 says: Apr 8, 2014 8:50 AM

The pettition coming from a Campus who riots after a DIII football win over Ithaca college, probably one of the biggest drug and party schools in the northeast? Clean up your own issues before you judge the past of a person who has done everything and anything he can to make good on the mistakes he has made in the past. I gurantee you a lot worse things happen at SUNY Cortland on a weekly basis. Get over it people.

33. 2difshoe says: Apr 8, 2014 8:51 AM

I’m sure not one of the residents of SUNY have a child who’s committed a crime and not been welcome back into the community.

Dog fighting is atrocious, but Vick served his time, he actually rehabilitated. Give the man a chance!

34. noringsforvikings says: Apr 8, 2014 8:51 AM

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

35. barelylegal18 says: Apr 8, 2014 8:55 AM

Apparently these people have never done wrong in their life, people need to move on from his past and recognize him as their quarterback. I guarantee if the Jets score those people will be sitting in their pressboxes cheering for him. To hold a grudge almost ten years afterwards…people move on! Its in the past if you don’t want him to practice with his teammates at Suny Cortland then don’t watch football because thats what this is all about and if you don’t want him there then why should they want you to watch. Get over yourself and watch your own bobber! SKOL VIKES!

36. dynaco says: Apr 8, 2014 8:57 AM

You’ll never see a felon protest here in Foxboro, because #WEGOTREVIS.

37. fleaman1381 says: Apr 8, 2014 9:06 AM

Seriously? The guy lost millions, spent time in prison, and had to work his way back to where he is. He speaks out against what he did and truly seems remorseful. I hate what he did, but I forgive him (like he needs my forgiveness). And honestly, I was indifferent towards Vick before, but people still going after him for this makes me cheer for him. Let sleeping dogs lie. Pun intended.

38. athwartships says: Apr 8, 2014 9:10 AM

Do these people also throw rocks at people in recovery from drug and alcohol abuse?

I read, there are 2500 people in SUNY or friends of residents who don’t believe in our justice system. Conviction of a crime, served his sentance, cleaned up his life and got back in the game with nominal success.

Get Over Yourselves.

39. dukeearl says: Apr 8, 2014 9:12 AM

I sincerely doubt he is rehabilitated. He would do it again if he thought he would not be caught.

40. ppletr says: Apr 8, 2014 9:17 AM

I doubt PETA is involved at all. Vick has been a spokesperson for them and they have supported his rehab. Just a bunch of PC indoctrinated immature useful idiots protesting.
    Concentrate on your studdies so you can make your way in the real world after you leave the Ivory Tower…………………..

41. jimjets says: Apr 8, 2014 9:18 AM

good to see the responses here – the only rational idea is that he paid his debt, and he deserves and has earned a second chance.

I don’t like dogs, I love dogs…but he learned his lesson and has done a lot of good for animals and animal lovers since his transgressions –
    he was also brought up in that filthy world.

i never liked him as a player before, I’ll never forget when he had won one playoff game and went on TV and said I’m as good as brady and manning.

I think he’s changed, he was a good man in Philly.

go vick…go jets

42. fordmandalay says: Apr 8, 2014 9:21 AM

Okay, I’m certainly no Vick fan, but this is ridiculous. It’s not only a violation of his rights, but where do you stop with this? Are all other visitors, students and faculty with convictions barred from SUNY? Do you draw the line at misdemeanors being okay, or is it a blanket ban? I’m pretty sure there are members of the Jets with drug-related records, are they allowed in? Clearly no-one thought this through.

43. nygmann says: Apr 8, 2014 9:27 AM

If anything ban him from the training camp because I hate to say it…. he’s not that good of a player!

44. settaz says: Apr 8, 2014 9:27 AM

These people are ridiculous. They are judging someone when nobody is perfect and everyone makes mistakes. The conduct Vick showed in Philadelphia was great and he’s gained my respect for how much he’s changed.

45. moeman79 says: Apr 8, 2014 9:35 AM

Ge over it. He payed his time and money, way more than he should have. You just come off as small petty people now.

46. baily67 says: Apr 8, 2014 10:26 AM

huge dog lover, I signed, proud of it.

47. 700levelvet says: Apr 8, 2014 10:26 AM

He only stopped cause he got busted.. Simple as that… He’s just doing what he has to do to continue to get paid. He has no conscience, just a bank account…

48. theageofquarrel says: Apr 8, 2014 10:28 AM

I can’t wait until Vick retires and he does it again. Then we can say Told Ya So.

49. 700levelvet says: Apr 8, 2014 10:29 AM

He only stopped cause he got busted or would still be doing it today…Fact

50. raiderspy1 says: Apr 8, 2014 10:32 AM

Read a newspaper or check the internet folks, the man did his time, its over. Stop wasting everybodies time and get on with your life, the past is the past. Im telling the enviromentalist, you guys are wasting paper.

51. nflfolly says: Apr 8, 2014 10:34 AM

NFL the only place convicted felons are embraced.
    Vick should not be allowed back in the NFL because this sets an example for the youth.
    Bottom line Vick is dumb as a doornail and has been a failure everywhere.

52. mikejune says: Apr 8, 2014 10:34 AM

I love dogs, I have two. I don’t like Mike Vick and he’s a terrible, overrated QB (is he really an upgrade over Sanchez?)…but went through due process and served his time. Let the man live.

53. chaseutley says: Apr 8, 2014 10:38 AM

Hear that, America? It’s the sound of Michael Vick turning the corner Perpetrator Boulevard on to Victim Street?

54. cavbmosno1 says: Apr 8, 2014 10:50 AM

My thoughts on this are that everyone keeps saying he’s served his time…. I just wonder, if that was your child, your mother, someone you loved very much that he did those horrible things to, would you still feel the same way? I understand that people should forgive, but I also know that some people are saying that these petitioners are putting the lives of animals before the lives of people, and as well they should! Dogs are truly loving souls who love unconditionally, no matter what kind of person you are, sometimes to their own detriment. People definitely are not, and yet many believe that people are above animals.

55. dstroi says: Apr 8, 2014 10:53 AM

Do any of you comprehend dog fighting Vs. how he and others executed these dogs? Dog fighting is one thing but hanging and electrocuting animals takes a certain type of human being who isn’t quite wired correctly. Did he pay his dues? Yes! Is he a model citizen or reformed? Who knows! I don’t know the guy personally, only how he portrays himself in front of a camera. I hope he is a better man but thats not my concern. People judge people every day on their actions so I cannot do the same with Michael Vick. Lord knows I am not perfect so I wish the man the best, however, don’t judge others for how they interpret their freedom to justify what they believe in. Let me ask everyone this: Do you people care about the other ex-cons that did either equal to or more than heinous crimes who get out of prison and cannot make a dime because their course of action prohibits them otherwise? Michael Vick did a crime, paid for it financially and lost his freedom for almost two years, however, my only conundrum is this – Michael Vick was given the opportunity to come back to the NFL, make millions of dollars again (knowing to pay back debts and legal fees) and get his life squared away to only make more millions on top of that. Why is this not good or the same protocol for others who paid their dues? If I get arrested today for doing the same crime that Michael Vick did, my company is not going to hire me back after I paid my dues. Lets be honest. I would most likely be flipping burgers at McDonald’s because no one is going to hire an ex-convict especially to the degree of the crimes committed. Other than that issue, I agree with most of you. He did his time, let the man be a better product of society and live his life!

56. cybersqueak says: Apr 8, 2014 10:54 AM

Mike, this is what happens when you sign with the Jets. I hope you’re ready for the circus.

57. nonetruerthanblue says: Apr 8, 2014 11:07 AM

Keep it classy, SUNY Cortland.

58. rcali says: Apr 8, 2014 11:19 AM

Wow, lot of support for a despicable felon. Con
    Vick only paid his debt to the government, not society, let’s not let the two get intertwined.

59. iamedreed says: Apr 8, 2014 11:24 AM

id just like to point out the difference in treatment that mike vick got for dogfighting and donte stallworth got for actually killing a man while driving drunk

and if SUNY doesn’t want the Jets to come, don’t invite them, and then see how many local business owners flip out at the lost revenue the Jets training camp brings during the summer

60. psauer4 says: Apr 8, 2014 11:29 AM

Ridiculous. I absolutely love my dog, but what happened to forgiveness?

61. phillyphannnn83 says: Apr 8, 2014 11:56 AM

And by submitting that submission they’re also saying they don’t support rehabilitation, repentance, growth, nor maturity.

62. charmcitychampions says: Apr 8, 2014 12:00 PM

Forgive. Don’t forget. This is a country of second chances, but the slate does not get wiped clean. He has to carry this baggage with him the rest of his life and deservedly so. He is a total piece of human garbage. Should he be allowed a second chance, absolutely. But he has zero slack and needs to accept that people will always hate him for what he has done.

There is a registered sex offender convicted of crimes against children now living relatively close in my area. Should his slate be wiped clean as well or should he have to carry the burden of his past with him always. Should his second chance come with a ton of restrictions? Of course. Same goes (to a lesser degree obviously) for Vick.

63. bbmadface says: Apr 8, 2014 12:19 PM

what a bunch of whiners. grow up

64. jetfanfolife says: Apr 8, 2014 12:49 PM

Some of you don’t remember this but I do. He got benched last year…Not for one, two or three games, but for the ENTIRE season.

Mike Vick SUCKS!

65. gridirondre says: Apr 8, 2014 1:22 PM

At what point does a person’s time served come in to play. We are talking over 7 years ago? How long is he going to be judged on his past actions? What’s the point of the prison system if you go and rehabilitate yourself but yet you’re still judged? Get over it

66. sonopazzo6 says: Apr 8, 2014 1:40 PM

……and another thing! I am a proud owner of two Michael Vick jerseys and my dog loves them!!!

67. smackingfools says: Apr 8, 2014 3:14 PM

Protest Michael Vick but could care less what the government is doing to people. Only in America!

68. bbbmf says: Apr 8, 2014 4:31 PM

I guess everyone at SUNY Courtland is squeaky clean huh?

69. sm407240 says: Apr 8, 2014 4:42 PM

The jets should take a strong position against this asinine petition and immediately cancel the proposed training camp. Period. Make these 2500 people responsible to their peers…. make them put there money where their mouths are.

70. nyjalleffingday says: Apr 8, 2014 5:49 PM

The Jets brought 5.5 million dollars and 35,000 people to Cortland in 2012.

Yeah, I’m sure this petition will be WILDLY successful.

71. mogogo1 says: Apr 8, 2014 6:57 PM

Nobody who’d be influenced by the petition would have attended training camp any way. I’m not even clear on who exactly the petition is supposed to be to. Nobody could legally keep him from attending. The idea is the Jets would bar him from camp? And then there’d have to be a petition to keep him from playing in preseason, I suppose?

72. animalkindness says: Apr 9, 2014 2:18 PM

Look , I understand this is football and that is all that most of you care about. But if you read the account, the trial account, of what he did to each of these dogs you will be horrified. Paid his time? Sorry, but 19 months is not enough and, and, while he was killing these dogs he raked in a hefty profit.

I only watch the Eagles play so that I can see him get pounded into the ground. Now I hope the Jets throw him out there and he gets pounded again and again.

Pay back is a….well you know.

73. nevadasucks says: Apr 10, 2014 10:17 PM

Good on Cortland for taking a stand. Vick is neither a good human being nor a good football player, so this idiotic defense of him is mindboggling to me. Anyone that can inflict that degree of pain, suffering, and terror on another living thing, regardless of species, has something deeply wrong with them that a short stint in prison can’t fix. You can’t rehabilitate a sociopath.