NFL to release preseason schedule on Wednesday

New York Giants v New England Patriots Getty Images

The NFL will release the 2014 preseason schedule at 3:15 p.m. Eastern on Wednesday, the league announced today.

Typically, 30-of-32 NFL teams play four preseason games, with the two clubs selected for the season-opening Hall of Fame game playing five exhibition contests. The Bills and Giants will meet in the 2014 Hall of Fame game on August 3 in Canton, Ohio.

This summer, the NFL will experiment with longer extra points in the first two weeks of the preseason.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
17 Responses to “NFL to release preseason schedule on Wednesday”
  1. watermelon1 says: Apr 9, 2014 11:17 AM

Release the whole thing, jerks.

2. joeflaccoallday says: Apr 9, 2014 11:20 AM

Lol at the Tebow pic.

3. ninerboi says: Apr 9, 2014 11:20 AM

Football is almost back!! It will be interesting to see the strategy regarding the extra point experiment.

Will teams just go for two instead? What will happen if/when a team misses the extra point? More onside kicks? More risky plays to get that point back?!? AAAAHHHHHH!!!

4. geezohman says: Apr 9, 2014 11:38 AM

one step at a time, Rome wasnt built in a day, Preseason schedule release is fine, patience is a virtue. Next thing you know football players will be tweeting this stuff

5. jgedgar70 says: Apr 9, 2014 11:40 AM

It’s only interesting in the fact that it tells us which 2 weeks our team is playing at home. Since my office is right across the street from Bank of America stadium, the release of the Panthers preseason schedule tells me which 2 days I get to leave wok early. Preseason wins were important when we were coming off the 1-15 and 2-14 seasons, but other than that, not really that important.

As for the extra point experiment, I’ll wait for the blooper film to come out. I’m sure it will be full.

6. dryzzt23 says: Apr 9, 2014 11:46 AM

Now my life is complete lol.

7. steelerchicken says: Apr 9, 2014 11:51 AM

I cannot wait!!!

8. kosarkid says: Apr 9, 2014 11:52 AM

Love how the NFL makes an event out of everything they do. Pretty soon they’ll be having an hour special for the preseason schedule release and a two hour special for the regular season release… along with a contest where the winner has to pick the correct schedule to win a trip to the superbowl.

9. trollhammer20 says: Apr 9, 2014 12:00 PM

Some say the preseason isn’t important and won’t tell you anything about the season.

The first preseason game Seattle fans went to last year saw the Seahawks beat the Broncos, 40-10.

And then at the end of the season…well, it was even worse…so maybe those people are right after all…

10. 87hollywoodhorn says: Apr 9, 2014 12:06 PM

I love preseason football. I hate the idea of taking those games away.
    I like going to them cuz as a nonticket holder the resale price is cheap. I love watching them on tv cuz I like to watch training camp competition take place. And I know they are valuable to the team for that very reason, talent evaluation.

11. southpaw2k says: Apr 9, 2014 12:31 PM

@ trollhammer

The Detroit Lions went 4-0 in the preseason in 2008.

That should tell you everything you need to know about why the preseason is never a gauge of what to expect from a team during the regular season.

12. blamatina says: Apr 9, 2014 12:43 PM

When it comes to preseason; it’s all about who wins the first half, not who wins the game

13. Frazier28/7 says: Apr 9, 2014 12:46 PM

I’d pay full price to go to a preseason game… in May.

Four more months until football makes me a sad panda.

Viking fans are extremely excited though for the first preseason game under the bright lights at tcf bank stadium! You’ll be able to look up and see the sky and not a teflon roof that may or may not collapse if it snows too much!

14. iamkillerfin says: Apr 9, 2014 12:59 PM

This is IDIOT Goodell’s doing every year just more B/S hoops that he makes us fans wait for & it gets old!!!

15. chawk12thman says: Apr 9, 2014 1:05 PM

The NFL does an outstanding job of keeping the Shield in front of the fans to get them through the off season. Getting the pre-season schedule is a reminder that the season is coming……..

16. samphilvista82 says: Apr 9, 2014 1:21 PM

Tim still hasn’t released that pass.

17. schmitty2 says: Apr 9, 2014 2:01 PM

Aww the good ol pre-season. The only time you can go to a game and still have to pay 10 bucks a beer to watch a 50 yard td from a Rb from a D-III school that will be lucky to make the practice squad.