Matthew Stafford: No one puts more pressure on me than I do

Detroit Lions v Tennessee Titans Getty Images

The poor second half turned in by Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford last year, which led to questions about how to get him back on track for coach Jim Caldwell and offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi after they were hired by the team.

Some of the answers offered include working on footwork and other fundamentals, although Mike Ditka also chimed in to say that Stafford’s penchant for wearing his hat backwards detracted from his ability to make every throw. Assuming all can’t be fixed by simply rotating his cap 180 degrees, Stafford will spend the offseason sharpening up his game and said Thursday that he’ll be picking both coaches brains in an attempt to get the kind of consistency that was missing last year.

The Lions also added Golden Tate to give them a strong complement for Calvin Johnson at receiver and they’re reportedly mulling a trade up in the first round for Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins, both of which suggest they don’t place all the blame on Stafford’s shoulders. Still, Stafford knows the way things go in a league that almost always comes down to quarterbacks.

“In the NFL, if your quarterback plays really well, your team plays pretty well, and I understand that,” Stafford said, via the team’s website. “We’re no different than any team, so the better I play, the better we’re going to play as a team. Common theory says that. Nobody puts more pressure on me than I do. I want to be as good as I can possibly be and not for myself, but to help this team win. That’s the number one goal.”

Stafford understands the nature of the task ahead of him, now he and the Lions just have to do the winning that will quiet many of the concerns about both quarterback and team.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
32 Responses to “Matthew Stafford: No one puts more pressure on me than I do”
  1. citizenstrange says: Apr 10, 2014 2:52 PM

Winning is everything and talk is nothing. Just ask Rex Ryan and Chris Johnson.

2. thepftpoet says: Apr 10, 2014 2:55 PM

Top 4 Quarterbacks in the NFC North :

1. Aaron Rodgers – Packers
    2. Teddy Bridgewater – Vikings
    3. Matthew Stafford – Lions
    4. Jay Cutler – Bears

3. 12brichandfamous says: Apr 10, 2014 2:57 PM

He needs to improve accuracy. Too many high, jump balls are getting his receivers into awkward positions where they get hammered by defenders or they land awkwardly. He’s the reason there’s been so many receiver injuries the past two seasons.

4. aldavisfortytime says: Apr 10, 2014 2:58 PM

Nobody makes me bleed my own blood.

5. thestrategyexpert says: Apr 10, 2014 2:58 PM

That winning part is the only thing we have been missing, so sounds good, let’s actually do it this time! It would make my job a helluva lot easier if I don’t have to spend so much time explaining why we lost.

6. staffordsyear says: Apr 10, 2014 2:58 PM

Coach Caldwell will get him turned around, just needs some tweaking, he was having a pro bowl season last year before the second half begun. And lets not forget hes only 26.

7. dtownsportslions says: Apr 10, 2014 3:00 PM

There is a lot of pressure on Matt. Right now he’s basically a glorified Tony Romo. Puts up good stats, throws for a ton of yards but turns the ball over in crucial situations. I hope he can find some consistency with Lombardi’s offense. Prepare the same way every week, one game at a time. That’s what hopefully Caldwell will bring to Matt is a consistent approach to doing his job (which he can be very good at sometimes).

8. harveyredman says: Apr 10, 2014 3:02 PM

Poor man’s Jay Cutler, IMO.

Never done squat in the league but gets paid like an elite QB for “potential”.

Both QB’s fold in the clutch.

9. crubenst says: Apr 10, 2014 3:08 PM

Translation: “I wanna win but don’t think I’m gonna give up my summer vacation to work on mechanics.”
    - Loser.

10. weepingjebus says: Apr 10, 2014 3:08 PM

Bankrupt union town, broken team. One of the most interesting things in life is how socialist sports teams are always terrible, which is weird given how teamwork is the one thing they’re supposed to be good at.

11. radiofriendly420 says: Apr 10, 2014 3:10 PM

Lions fans got your back, Stafford. Keep working hard, keep putting pressure on yourself while ignoring the naysayers and keep leading the team the way you do.

GooooooooOOOO Lions

12. gofor2with3pointlead says: Apr 10, 2014 3:12 PM

I like Stafford, but he can’t play a lick in the snow. That game against Philly was a complete disaster.

13. flickaboogie says: Apr 10, 2014 3:18 PM

I agree with Ditka, turn that hat around and get to work.

14. jacobmcbride1 says: Apr 10, 2014 3:18 PM

If Stafford works on his footwork he will be special, he is just so sloppy because he thinks having one of the strongest arms ever is enough to get by, I am confident the dynamic trio of Caldwell, Lombardi, and Cooter will fix him.

15. TheWizard says: Apr 10, 2014 3:22 PM

Colin agrees with Ditka.

Hat on backwards guy isn’t who I want leading my franchise for a decade.

16. ragnarthegreat says: Apr 10, 2014 3:25 PM

Jared Allen put quite a bit of pressure on him!

17. grimreaper12 says: Apr 10, 2014 3:37 PM

Stafford’s record against winning teams is pathetic.

18. redandgoldhitman52 says: Apr 10, 2014 3:54 PM

stafford = garbage
    nfc north= garbage

19. heisthejuan says: Apr 10, 2014 3:56 PM

I think Mark Sanchez has said similar things about his own work ethic in the past.

20. redandgoldhitman52 says: Apr 10, 2014 3:59 PM

how many playoff games has stafford won? whats his yearly salary?

21. doe22us says: Apr 10, 2014 4:04 PM

That interception against the Ravens tho.. dude looked cross-eyed and lost, it was like he wasnt even on the field.

22. patriots87 says: Apr 10, 2014 4:22 PM

yes, a head of that size must apply a great deal of pressure

23. mortwannabe says: Apr 10, 2014 4:34 PM

Only one NFL HC could make him great and he is with the Bears. Marc Trestman will be the next Bill Walsh.

24. fdugrad says: Apr 10, 2014 4:42 PM

The only time YOU put pressure on yourself is when you try to fasten your belt around your fat stomach. ANY pro who is overweight while attempting to convince others that he is driven is simply talking to hear his head roar. He has nutritionists, world class trainers and facilities and PLENTY of time to work diligently on conditioning, and he clearly doesn’t even do this. PRESSURE…in addition to doughnuts, he is simply full of it. Lastly, a QB who continues to demonstrate such poor fundamentals over the years is kidding no one but himself when he talks about self-imposed pressure.

25. touchdownroddywhite says: Apr 10, 2014 4:42 PM

If the league comes down to who has the better quarterback, why was Seattle such a decisive winner in the SB?

26. cheddarisbeddar says: Apr 10, 2014 5:31 PM

So, he’s basically saying that NO one puts pressure on him.

27. detdominance says: Apr 10, 2014 6:19 PM

He better lead us to a Super Bowl next year. I expect perfection Matthew.

28. golions1 says: Apr 10, 2014 7:26 PM

Nobody puts baby in a corner.

29. dtownsportslions says: Apr 10, 2014 8:21 PM

No QB plays well in a blizzard

30. jollyjoker2 says: Apr 10, 2014 10:45 PM

potential… ha ha. 3 years in the NFL or its not for long. Get it right or get packing.

31. outerspace24 says: Apr 11, 2014 1:28 AM

Stafford: This is your year to prove it. If not the Lions will be drafting your replacement soon. Good luck.

32. getatmeplease says: Apr 11, 2014 11:12 AM

Gotta love the haters here. He has Calvin Johnson and that’s it.

2nd most yards for Lions players each year (Calvin is obviously first):

13 – Joique Bell, RB
    12 – Brandon Pettigrew, TE
    11 – Brandon Pettigrew, TE

Give the kid a legitimate number 2 wide receiver (hopefully that is Tate) and let’s see how he does. Nate Burleson, Titus Young, and Kris Durham are the problem.