Andre Roberts waiting to see how things shake out in Redskins receiving corps

96ed381f8cb439fa4fd7a69e358fe8e7 Getty Images

When wide receiver Andre Roberts signed with the Redskins in March, he admitted to feeling frustrated at times with the Cardinals in 2013.

The source of the frustration was the limited opportunities that came his way as a third receiver behind Larry Fitzgerald and Michael Floyd. Roberts thought he had found a better spot in Washington as a running mate for Pierre Garçon and tight end Jordan Reed, but then the Redskins signed DeSean Jackson and now the landscape looks very different.

Roberts isn’t sure exactly how things will shake out once Washington gets on the field, but he knows it won’t be what he envisioned when he agreed to the deal.

“That’s how the league is, that’s how the league works,” Roberts said on ESPN 980. “Going into my situation, I wanted to be the No. 2 receiver. But I still don’t know how it’s going to work out. Obviously, when you look at how much money is being made each guy, you’d think that’s going to be [the] No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3.”

The Redskins should be passing the ball plenty next season with Jackson and head coach Jay Gruden aboard, although Roberts probably will be in line for fewer targets than he expected upon signing with the team. Roberts also said he expects to be handling the ball on punt and kick returns as well, so he should still have a significant role on the team in 2014 even after Jackson took over the top rung on the depth chart.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
25 Responses to “Andre Roberts waiting to see how things shake out in Redskins receiving corps”
  1. skinsrock says: Apr 11, 2014 11:25 AM

Andre Roberts might not get as many touches as he likes… but… I bet he ends up with more yards receiving than he ever had with the Cardinals in a season… D Jax should open up the field & there should be a lot more yards after the catch available for the intermediate stuff.

2. jirehj says: Apr 11, 2014 11:29 AM

I feel bad for Andre especially as a Cards fan. But reality is… He’s not a true compliment to number 1 receivers.

3. rebelsrevelations says: Apr 11, 2014 11:45 AM

Someone should tell Andre to lighten up! He hasn’t even been here long enough for a cup of coffee, and he’s already stressing his role?!
    Gruden is coaching, dude! You’ll get plenty of work! Just take advantage of your opportunities, and you’ll be very happy with your role! In other words, just do your job! Or, send me your check and I’ll do it!

4. redskinfansince82 says: Apr 11, 2014 11:52 AM

Well wait till somebody goes down with an injury. He will have a good year and get more exposure when Skins make playoffs. Just do you part homie and let the rest take care of itself.

5. charge1 says: Apr 11, 2014 11:54 AM

Put him in the slot and have 3 burners on the field.

6. fundamentals425 says: Apr 11, 2014 12:04 PM

He was answering a question honesty, but I would have liked to hear him say I’m gonna work hard to show them #2 isn’t just about salary. I like leonard hankerson/moss in the slot more anyway.

7. bll611 says: Apr 11, 2014 12:09 PM

No one can make you a #2 receiver but yourself. Man up Andre and let’s make a good run at this season!!! HAIL

8. eagles83 says: Apr 11, 2014 12:19 PM

lolskins

9. baddegg says: Apr 11, 2014 12:25 PM

He should be happy there are other weapons on the field. With everyone covering Garcon and Jackson, he will have opportunities to get open and haul in a good number of catches.

10. logicailvoicesays says: Apr 11, 2014 12:25 PM

When the best offensive mind of his generation becomes the head coach of the best franchise in NFL history, with a QB who is the best athlete in history, everyone wants to join the team. #TheRedskinsareunstoppable

11. janvanflac says: Apr 11, 2014 12:33 PM

don’t worry when Djacc gets suspended for conduct detrimental to the team you’ll get plenty of playing time….

12. tavisteelersfan says: Apr 11, 2014 12:42 PM

Why not trade Andre for a LB or something? No need for his calibre and cap hit as number 3, and he does not want to be a number 3. I think there are teams, especially after the Draft, that would see him as a very good number 2. Some of those may have a defensive player the RedSkins need. For instance, the Carolina Panthers???

13. ariani1985 says: Apr 11, 2014 12:49 PM

Does he have a logo?

14. trollaikman8 says: Apr 11, 2014 12:49 PM

Redskins just have a bunch of #2 WR’s anyway.

15. dctillidie says: Apr 11, 2014 12:54 PM

Roberts and Jackson were great pickups! Now there’s no more excuses for RG3! Let’s have a great season! #HTTR

16. blackqbwhiterb says: Apr 11, 2014 12:59 PM

YOU make yourself the #2, or even #1, reciever, on ANY team you’re on….. In the NFL, I think you will eventually rise or sink to the level you belong at. Salary means nothing, it’s all determined by performance on the field. Ask Rod Smith, Kurt Warner, etc. if you have the ability, you’ll get an opportunity

17. johnnyprc says: Apr 11, 2014 1:11 PM

In today’s NFL, I think the slot receiver may be more important than the #1 or #2. Percy Harvin, Welker, on and on… (in some offenses)

Notice when Welker came in, Decker remained #2 – even though Welker is much better receiver.

For a WR like Roberts to not understand that is more worrying than his comments.

18. seahawkshurtpeople says: Apr 11, 2014 1:12 PM

You know this team filled with me first egos like RGMe, MeAngelo Hall, MeShawn and now MeDre Roberts is gonna explode like a supernova.

It’s just a matter of time.

I can’t wait until it all falls apart while I gleefully clap my hands, stomp my feet and laugh at their foolishness.

Tick..tick…tick…tick…tick…

19. discountdoublecheck says: Apr 11, 2014 1:14 PM

Andre should be ecstatic…not only did he get paid…but playing behind Garcon, Jackson and Reed (not to mention Morris getting his 20 or so touches) will almost certainly leave him 1 on 1 each time vs. Johnny Nobody. If RG3 stays upright and healthy this year…that offense is going to be nasty.

20. bigballzchipkelly says: Apr 11, 2014 1:24 PM

I know skins fans all claimed you were s solid number two when you signed and now all of a sudden they realize you are nothing special. It sucks but they will be turning on jaccpot soon enough though. The real question is why would you sign with a team that has no oline, QB or defense? You.know the important positions that win in the NFL.

21. steelerben says: Apr 11, 2014 1:27 PM

I’m sure that Roberts will have more success with the Redskins and Desean Jackson than he did in Arizona with Larry Fitzgerald. It isn’t like teams ever rolled coverage to #11.

22. blackandbluedivision says: Apr 11, 2014 1:54 PM

He’ll be lucky to still be on the team by this time next year.

23. teek77 says: Apr 11, 2014 1:59 PM

If the Skins need another running back, I’m sure the Panthers would be open to a trade. Andre could be a #1 receiver for them.

24. watchdawg1103 says: Apr 11, 2014 4:27 PM

As much as I hate the Redskins, I think he will be just fine. He put up 64 receptions in 2012 with a less talented QB throwing. He will more than likely be the Skins version of Wes Welker as a slot man who will see plenty of check downs and his own plays called. Jackson will open up plenty of room for him.

25. skins1970 says: Apr 11, 2014 11:07 PM

I really can’t wait for the Seahawks to go back to being irrelevant they were much more likeable during the Jim Zorn, Steve Largent and Curt Warners days.