NFL hasn’t determined site of 2017 Pro Bowl

Drew Brees, Eli Manning, Larry Fitzgerald AP

No one cares all that much about the Pro Bowl.  Even fewer care about where it’s played.

The NFL cares, and after four straight years back in Hawaii after a one-year detour to Miami, the league seems to be intent on playing the game in the mainland whenever the game is played in a warm-weather city.

After Super Bowls in Dallas, Indianapolis, New Orleans, and New York, the Pro Bowl returns to the contiguous 48 when the Super Bowl is played in Arizona.  Then, the Pro Bowl goes back to Hawaii in the year the Super Bowl will be played in San Francisco.

According to the Honolulu Advertiser, the next Super Bowl in Houston also may host the Pro Bowl.  For now, it’s not determined.

The next year, the Super Bowl will be played in Minneapolis, Indianapolis, or New Orleans, which virtually guarantees the Pro Bowl will be played that year in Hawaii.

Per the report, the NFL has told the powers-that-be in Houston to be ready to host the 2017 Pro Bowl.  Which could be aimed at squeezing the powers-that-be in Hawaii into giving the NFL a better deal.

For the players, the better deal always comes from playing the game in Hawaii.  They weren’t happy about playing in Miami, primarily because they strongly prefer going to Hawaii, which gives them a considerable buffer from fans and most of the media.  At their own hotel without prying eyes and iPhones, the players can relax and not worry about their exploits ending up, well, here.

You can’t blame us for that.  Player exploits in the week leading up to the Pro Bowl would be far more interesting than the game itself.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
26 Responses to “NFL hasn’t determined site of 2017 Pro Bowl”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Apr 11, 2014 8:32 PM

If it’s not played in outer space then just play wherever. These terrestrial-based locations are so mundane.

And the stadium would seat exactly the number of people that can afford to pay for the ride and help subsidize the field deployment, but this is more of a TV spectacle anyway so you don’t need a big crowd, just some nice camera placement. And no weather concerns as long as there aren’t any mistakes in the engineering or construction.

2. jollyjoker2 says: Apr 11, 2014 8:33 PM

does anyone watch this?

3. MichaelEdits says: Apr 11, 2014 8:40 PM

Ship it off to one of those cities that they want to give an NFL team to but that no fan cares about, like London or Los Angeles. The players won’t like it, but so what?

4. chawk12thman says: Apr 11, 2014 8:53 PM

The fodder when the pro bowl is in the same local as the SB is much higher. It makes sense from a reporter/blogger point of view. Hawaii makes more sense to the pro bowl player/family for the earned vacation..

I can’t afford to travel so neither does much for me.

5. nyyjetsknicks says: Apr 11, 2014 8:53 PM

I want to go to Houston, said no one ever.

6. dolphinfan17 says: Apr 11, 2014 9:04 PM

Who cares? Its far away

7. briang123 says: Apr 11, 2014 9:45 PM

I watch the Pro Bowl every year. That’s because I have bet on it. I mean, if gambling were legal I might.

8. raiderapologist says: Apr 11, 2014 9:58 PM

The 2017 Pro Bowl could be the 2007 Pro Bowl. Nobody cared then, either.

9. jollyjoker2 says: Apr 11, 2014 10:08 PM

have it in the same city the day before the SB and charge a higher package rate for tickets. .like 5 k a piece or something. ..I like the Chawk Idea!

10. jprcox says: Apr 11, 2014 10:42 PM

Why is the NFL giving so much attention to a game that cannot be “enhanced” unless they want to somehow get players to actually play.

The fact the Pro-Bowl is in Hawaii and the fact there isn’t much on that particular weekend are primary reasons I watch this game 2 of 5 years.

However, I do like the Pro-Bowl being there in general. It is what it is.

11. Pittsburgh Steelers says: Apr 11, 2014 11:20 PM

Two words: skills competitions.

12. chargersdiehard says: Apr 11, 2014 11:48 PM

Have it in Oakland, that way fans up there can see some good players play.

13. charlie2254 says: Apr 11, 2014 11:50 PM

Chip Kelly is the smartest coach in the NFL

14. jedimasterbates says: Apr 11, 2014 11:55 PM

I really wish Goodell and co. would stop messing with the Pro Bowl (and everything else). I enjoy the Pro Bowl, it should be in Hawaii every year, one week AFTER the SB. It’s cool to see every team represented, and I’m sure a lot of those guys on the SB teams miss going out to Hawaii and have some fun after the massive hype of the SB. The Pro Bowl is a fun way to say goodbye to the season.

15. 1harrypairatesties says: Apr 12, 2014 12:16 AM

The players have made the Pro Bowl a joke. It’s not even worth watching. I don’t even care who makes the teams anymore. I say do away with it completely.

16. campcouch says: Apr 12, 2014 12:20 AM

I found the last Pro Bowl entertaining. I could do without Deion Sanders running his mouth or Jerry Rice trying to talk smack,but the players actually seemed interested. Not everyone hated it,and if you do,then no one is forcing you to watch or attend. I like seeing how a star QB would use a star WR from another team or if players are a product of system or actually good athletes. But I like watching football,from high school to pros,so I’m a bi biased.

17. natelan69 says: Apr 12, 2014 1:03 AM

Should always be Honolulu, as a reward to the players for spectacular play.

18. chmura97 says: Apr 12, 2014 6:12 AM

Who cares have it in green bay, they have nothing going on!

19. TheWizard says: Apr 12, 2014 7:26 AM

Buffalo !

20. graphis56 says: Apr 12, 2014 7:55 AM

This is typical NFL behavior. Float the idea out to the public that you’re not holding the game in Hawaii anymore (anonymously), then wait for the response.

Hey, NFL decision makers, NOBODY WATCHES THIS GAME. It’s a reward to the best players and their families and it should stay in Hawaii.

Hey (insert all pro name here.), you’re going to Houston! Here’s an idea. Give “Pro-Bowlers” a plack or a statue and $250,000 each. That’s how you say thank you. But that’s not how you say “Revenue”.

21. bostonfrogs says: Apr 12, 2014 9:39 AM

May I suggest Centralia, Pennsylvania? Perfect locale that would be right on par with the level of attention this game garners every year.

22. filthymcnasty1 says: Apr 12, 2014 9:41 AM

This game is important because it allows a couple of Vikings to participate in the postseason.

23. hollymolley says: Apr 12, 2014 10:29 AM

I can’t remember ever watching the Pro Bowl. We do watch games thru out the season, but have no interest in the Pro Bowl. And now with the FIX of that san fran game we will have to rethink the NFL entirely.

24. hehateme1 says: Apr 12, 2014 12:26 PM

Oh bummer. Well please hurry up and tell us as soon as you find out.

25. rcali says: Apr 12, 2014 2:09 PM

I gamble on it but usually don’t watch it. I really have to be out at a bar to accidentally see much of it. P.S. Don’t tell the GODdell complex that we bet on it. At least not until the NFL finds an actual way to directly profit from it. Once this happens they’ll be more betting stands at NFL stadiums then beer stands.

26. raiderapologist says: Apr 12, 2014 3:18 PM

They should play it in San Diego. The weather is always nice, and the residents aren’t interested in football. It’s the perfect fit for an uninteresting event.