Darqueze Dennard says workout for Lions went real well

Darqueze Dennard, Mike McHugh AP

NFL teams can never find enough cornerbacks, which makes it easy to understand why Darqueze Dennard is generating so much interest around the league right now.

Dennard is one of the top cornerbacks in this year’s draft class and has the list of meetings to back up the expectation that he’ll go in the first round. One of the teams that was interested in taking a look was the Lions, who made the short trip to watch Dennard in a private workout last month. Dennard said the workout “went real well” and that he got good feedback from the team, although he knows that words don’t mean much this time of year.

“People say yeah this guy’s going to pick you and that guy, or you hear a lot of players saying I think this team’s going to pick me or this team,” Dennard said, via the Detroit Free Press. “For me, honestly, it’s a toss up. I really don’t know. Everybody says they like me but we’ll find out who really likes me on draft day.”

The Lions could use help at corner and are also expected to meet with Kyle Fuller of Virginia Tech on Monday. Dennard, Fuller and Justin Gilbert of Oklahoma State are usually mentioned as the top tier of corners for May’s draft. The Lions may wind up with their choice of all three if they remain with the 10th overall pick, although it’s far from certain they’ll do that or pick a corner if they do.

Dennard has met with the Rams and Steelers and is slated to meet with the Jets and Bengals this week.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Darqueze Dennard says workout for Lions went real well”
  1. jamezz23 says: Apr 13, 2014 11:33 AM

If we select a corner in the first, which I’d never do personally, you have to go with dennard, I got the pleasure to watch him play every game this year, and its no contest, hes the best corner in this draft

Go blue

2. steelerdeathstar says: Apr 13, 2014 12:11 PM

Well, Justin Gilbert is pretty much considered the best all-round corner in the draft, but Dennard is plenty good. A lot of teams looking for good CB’s are in luck this year.

3. MedicFL1 says: Apr 13, 2014 12:23 PM

Sorely needed in the JETS secondary, we’ll see come the draft.

4. ghostfacenoah says: Apr 13, 2014 12:31 PM

Dennard would be a perfect fit on the Lions. He’s a tough player, played college ball in Michigan, has good size at 5’11, 200, great explosiveness and pretty good speed. He’d step in and immediately be their best secondary player.

5. themagicman1223 says: Apr 13, 2014 12:52 PM

Gilbert is the most athletic corner in the draft, but Dennard is a much better cover corner. Gilbert could be Patrick Peterson lite.

6. lionsdraftguy says: Apr 13, 2014 1:19 PM

Dennard wont go to the Lions. Mark my word.

7. believeland2014 says: Apr 13, 2014 1:32 PM

The Lions are going to trade up and get Sammy Watkins. JUST WATCH!

8. tdubdizzle says: Apr 13, 2014 1:40 PM

I hope the Raiders get him but he would fit really well with the Lions. They need a tough stout corner.

9. deltaoracle says: Apr 13, 2014 4:10 PM

Grabs and holds a lot; I’m sure Seattle has a high grade on him. Some shoulder and concussion problems.

10. canetic says: Apr 13, 2014 4:26 PM

“Went real well” means he had a poor enough workout to guarantee himself that he won’t have to play in Detroit