After talking to Sapp, McCoy knows the pressure’s on him

Gerald McCoy AP

Gerald McCoy promised yesterday that he wouldn’t let a contract issue keep him from training camp.

That’s in large part because he’s looking to replicate the work done by a Hall of Famer.

McCoy said a recent conversation with former Buccaneers defensive tackle Warren Sapp had him excited about the prospects for himself and the team under new coach Lovie Smith.

“I talked to Sapp the other day, and I told him, ‘I can see now why you loved this defense so much,’’’ McCoy said, via Roy Cummings of the Tampa Tribune. “I said, ‘This is going to be fun,’ and he said, ‘Well, it’s not going to be easy, because you have a lot of work ahead of you. You have a lot of responsibility as the under tackle.’

“What he meant was, this defense is going to run how I run, so I have a lot of responsibility. I’m going to see most of the one on ones. And when you depend on four guys to get to the quarterback the way we will and the under tackle is supposed to be the key guy, well, I have to get there. But I’m still excited about it.’’

McCoy began to show some Sapp-ish tendencies (the good, on-field kind) last season, when he had 9.0 sacks and earned All-Pro honors. Now, he’s looking to lead a turnaround for the Bucs, getting them back to the old ways.

“First day we got started here, I pulled the whole defense together before we even started to stretch or anything and told them we have to have a different type of mind set this year,’’ McCoy said. “I told them that if this team is going to get to where we want to be, then (just like) the Buccaneers teams of the past, we have to be known for having a great defense.’’

If McCoy can have the kind of sustained success Sapp had in Tampa, the chances of that are a lot better.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
11 Responses to “After talking to Sapp, McCoy knows the pressure’s on him”
  1. thegregwitul says: Apr 16, 2014 9:52 AM

McCoy is a class act, on and off the field. The Bucs need to work that contract extension out ASAP, as the team has a chance to have Sapp and Brooks part two in McCoy and Lavonte David.

2. lks311 says: Apr 16, 2014 10:02 AM

Warren Sapp likes anybody that kisses his a…uhh, ring. McCoy, a fun loving, hardworking athlete that respects his elders, fits that mold perfectly.

3. jcmeyer10 says: Apr 16, 2014 10:14 AM

I really like McCoy. Seems to know the fine line between being honest without pissing people off.

Rare quality these days. You either get too brash or too canned.

4. gofor2with3pointlead says: Apr 16, 2014 10:32 AM

Get your official NFL merchandise before it’s to late.

5. bearshaterseverywhere says: Apr 16, 2014 10:34 AM

Sapp is the worst person to talk to. He is largely overrated and a big mouth. He also is a worse NFL analyst. This guy is now forever cursed….

6. shogunassasin30 says: Apr 16, 2014 10:45 AM

bearshaterseverywhere says:
    Apr 16, 2014 10:34 AM
    __________________________________

Like him or not but 99 had a 5-6yr run in Tampa where he may have been the most dominant Defensive Tackle of all time. You can do worse than soliciting advice from Sapp when it comes to football related stuff

7. bucfanforlife says: Apr 16, 2014 11:19 AM

99 was the engine don’t ever let your hate blind you, maybe not the nicest guy, but have met him a few times always was generous and nice, my family and I have been to many road and home games in the last 18 years, the family jokes about the hate on sapp,but the one guy who never seemed to appreciate the fans after the game was brooks, never have we seen the guy autograph or stop and chit chat with the fans, but everyone even key and sim would sign and shake a few hands

8. gripless says: Apr 16, 2014 11:22 AM

With all this great advice and mentoring, did Sapp inform him as to how to manage his finances as well!?

9. mrright1963 says: Apr 16, 2014 11:49 AM

did sapp tell him how to avoid taking cheap shots or give them on the field? did he tell him how to take a
    money management class and use what he learns?

10. cshearing says: Apr 16, 2014 11:58 AM

@bearshaterseverywhere: Sapp may well be a bigmouth and at times an idiot, but he was a great DT that knows that part of the game very well.

11. blackandbluedivision says: Apr 16, 2014 12:41 PM

bearshaterseverywhere says:
    Apr 16, 2014 10:34 AM

__________________________________

You can’t call a Pro Football Hall of Famer overrated. You may not like the guy. Fine. But, you have to respect his status as a Hall of Famer and what he’s done for the game. Far from overrated.

There are a lot of players I don’t like as a player (one Brett Lorenzo Favre comes to mind). But, I respect what they’ve done for the game.