Glazer returns to duty after serious health scare

Glazer Getty Images

Many of you have noticed that FOX’s Jay Glazer hasn’t been around much lately.  He has a very good reason for that.

On the first day of free agency, Glazer nearly died.

He appeared earlier today on The Dan Patrick Show to discuss the serious health scare that resulted from outpatient surgery.  Glazer separately explained the situation by phone to PFT.

“I went in for a routine back deal,” Glazer said.  “Nothing big.  Dissolving a piece of a disc that broke.  Something that was real easy took a turn.”

After being given anesthesia, Glazer vomited into the face cradle.  The stomach contents ended up in his lungs, and the acid burned the tissue.

Glazer started convulsing, and the doctors revived him.  He was rushed to a local hospital, where he spent four days recovering from aspiration double pneumonia.

He didn’t realize the gravity of the situation at the time.  Once Glazer was out of the woods, doctors explained that the outcome could have been much more dire.

“It could go one of two ways,” Glazer said, “and for a while I was going the wrong way.”

He has struggled for more than a month to get healthy.  The damage to his lungs has caused Glazer to have good days followed by setbacks.  He wanted to attend the league meetings in Orlando, but the flight would have required the use of an oxygen tank.  Doctors also feared that his oxygen levels could plummet at altitude, and that he could have a heart attack.

Even now, Glazer is far from 100 percent.  As his heart works harder to pump oxygenated blood from his lungs, his resting pulse rate has been 115.

Still, he’s going to attempt to work this weekend for FOX, returning to action for UFC coverage.  He has yet to be able to return to his MMA training business, to the disappointment of NFL players like Kyle Long, Chris Long, and Jared Allen — and draft hopefuls like UCLA linebacker Anthony Barr and UCLA defensive end Cassius Marsh.

Last week, Glazer was scheduled to work out with Barr, but Glazer decided he should wait.  Glazer instead tried nine minutes of shadow boxing instead.  His oxygen level dropped, his heart rate went up, and Glazer ended up in his doctor’s office once again.

Glazer hopes to return to his NFL duties soon, making calls and chasing scoops and attending next month’s draft in New York City.

I look forward to seeing him there, and to having him do one of his typical Glazer things, like stick a thumb into my throat or lift me off the ground or put me in a headlock.  Even during the worst days of his ordeal, Glazer was still doing Glazer things.

“I wanted candy,” he said of his hospital stay.  “I unhooked myself, and I told the nurse I was talking a walk.  I convinced the guys who were with me to take me downstairs to the gift shop.  I went in and bought $230 worth of chocolate.  In my gown with my ass hanging out.

“To this day I have no idea what happened with the $230 worth of chocolate.”

So if you were wondering where Glazer has been, now you know.  And the next time you’re trying to fight off a craving for chocolate, think of Glazer in his hospital gown, with his ass hanging out.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
28 Responses to “Glazer returns to duty after serious health scare”
  1. chad504boy says: Apr 16, 2014 2:03 PM

Get Better Jay, We’re praying for you. #WhoDatNation

2. MedicFL1 says: Apr 16, 2014 2:05 PM

If you don’t watch your health today, there won’t be a tomorrow.
    Worry about yourself first and your job second!

3. nfl4days says: Apr 16, 2014 2:07 PM

Hoping for a full recovery! Nobody does it better than Jay.

4. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Apr 16, 2014 2:09 PM

The Glaze is awesome — always loved that guy. It’s absolutely unbelievable to hear he’s been in a really really tough spot.

Man, healthy spirited little guy the Glaze is — that really makes you think.

Maybe they oughtta re-think that face cradle thing a little bit.

5. thestrategyexpert says: Apr 16, 2014 2:10 PM

Life likes a box of chocolates, get well soon!

6. deflateddome says: Apr 16, 2014 2:10 PM

Get better Jay…and well…get some more Chocolate when you are up to it again..))

7. crubenst says: Apr 16, 2014 2:13 PM

Best wishes to Jay. Unfortunately (especially by the chocolate story) he probably doesn’t listen well to his doctors when it comes to not eating. They tell you not to eat before surgery for a reason… so you don’t throw up into your lungs when you go under anesthesia. So its great to see him better and joking around, but eating against doctors orders is not a joking matter.

8. usmutts says: Apr 16, 2014 2:13 PM

Vomiting during general anesthesia usually indicates that the patient did not follow instructions not to eat or drink for a given number of hours before surgery, like after midnight. Either he didn’t follow instructions or the instructions weren’t given.

Either way, he sure is lucky.

9. roadtrip3500 says: Apr 16, 2014 2:15 PM

Jay is one of the good guys in football media… he doesn’t have that “my network only” mentality – if he has news, he shares it with everyone. Take your time and heal, JG.

10. thegreatgabbert says: Apr 16, 2014 2:20 PM

Glazer returns after a health scare. He scared the hell out of health workers for a month.

11. nflofficeadmin says: Apr 16, 2014 2:33 PM

Hang in there little buddy.

12. prspicacious says: Apr 16, 2014 2:34 PM

Good dude. Smart dude. Funny dude.

Glad to read he’s on the mend.

13. Getoffmylawn! says: Apr 16, 2014 2:35 PM

Get well soon. Looking forward to your scoops on the coming season. Great Guy.

14. bobzilla1001 says: Apr 16, 2014 2:37 PM

Wow!!!
    No such thing as “routine” or “minor” surgery.
    And $250 worth of candy from a hospital gift shop is the equivalent of three or four Snicker bars.

15. logicailvoicesays says: Apr 16, 2014 2:39 PM

Glazer is tough enough to be a Redskin.

16. tremoluxman says: Apr 16, 2014 2:40 PM

Last month, I had a sinus infection that turned into a chest cold. That turned into pneumonia after a week. My wife called 911 on a Monday morning. The paramedics and cops showed up, put me on the gurney and I passed out before they got me loaded. Rushed into the ER with acute respiratory failure and spent 7 days in the ICU. Pumped me full of antibiotics for the pneumonia and a bad UTI. Went home with the O2 rig and got off it 3-4 days later. It’s been 3 weeks and I’m still not 100%. Pneumonia is nasty stuff. The doctor said it’s like a tornado. The destruction is over quickly, but the after-effects take much longer to resolve.

Stay healthy, my friends.

17. doctorrustbelt says: Apr 16, 2014 2:53 PM

Sure… jay glazer is a terrible interviewer (SEE: richie incognito) and a dirtbag… but… I don’t want him to die.

18. cowboylover says: Apr 16, 2014 2:59 PM

Glad to hear he’s doing much better–got a little dicey for awhile. Love to see him on FOX.

19. exboomer says: Apr 16, 2014 3:33 PM

Didn’t anyone tell him he couldn’t eat for 12 hrs before his surgery? It sounds like no one did.

20. jjackwagon says: Apr 16, 2014 3:34 PM

Glad to here he is okay, just not sure when NFL sportscasters became newsworthy in their own right.

21. dontbugmeonsundays says: Apr 16, 2014 3:37 PM

Jay is the type of guy you wanna drink a brew with. Seems like a cool laid back down to earth type of guy. Wish him all the best!

22. lennymoorerules says: Apr 16, 2014 3:47 PM

Jay-you are one of the good guys-please get well and stay that way!

23. pjgrannan says: Apr 16, 2014 3:51 PM

Pneumonia is very serious stuff. It can go bad quickly. Unfortunately I have personal knowledge of how bad, how quickly. My wife went into the hospital at the end of January with pneumonia (we thought it was the cough that had been going around at the beginning of the year and a dr had diagnosed bronchitis). That night she was transferred to ICU. After three weeks on a ventilator she passed away far too young. So take it seriously !

24. weepingjebus says: Apr 16, 2014 3:55 PM

Get well soon! Hopefully it is not chronic now.

25. jdphx says: Apr 16, 2014 4:24 PM

Get well Jay…

Maybe you need to consider borrowing the
    Madden Cruiser for awhile?

26. oxycode30 says: Apr 16, 2014 4:33 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if his lung functions never return to pre-pneumonia levels and his MMA training days are over. But time will tell. Get well little fella’ and next time when the doc says you need to fast before surgery that means you don’t eat.

27. ripitupsports says: Apr 16, 2014 5:00 PM

Jay Glazer is the quintessential meat head (I say that in general, not as an outcome of this story), there is obviously something missing from this story that would indicate he did not follow instructions to pre-surgery. I think he is an idiot on TV, just wants to be the tough guy who is in the know, but offers very little knowledge of the game of football. His Affliction attire is about as tool-ish as it gets. I often wonder how he even got that job in the first place.

Having said all that, hope you recover, nobody should suffer lifelong effects of a routine scope of disc debris. Good luck man.

28. kev86 says: Apr 16, 2014 6:19 PM

Health is your wealth. Crazy story. Glad he is getting better.