Brandon Spikes is ready to back up his trash talk

Brandon Spikes AP

New Bills linebacker wasn’t backing down from his inflammatory comments about the Patriots, and he backed up his words by doing something he didn’t do last year.

Spikes showed up for the first day of the Bills’ voluntary workouts, proud to back up his big talk about his old team.

“Everybody got a theme. You gotta respect that,” Spikes said, via Mike Rodak of ESPN.com. “I got a big mouth, I talk a lot of trash. I feel like I can back it up. … If I can get in a guy’s head, I’ll take advantage of it. . . .

“You’ve seen a lot of the greats do it, with Floyd [Mayweather] and [Muhammad] Ali. I’m not saying on their level, but hey they personally might use it the same way. For me, it just gives me that edge.”

The Bills could stand a little edge, after taking beatings in the division on a regular basis. So that might be why coach Doug Marrone was on board with the decision to bring Spikes in on a one-year deal.

“I like his personality,” Marrone said. I have no issues at all with his personality. . . .

“I don’t have any issues when players say what they believe and what they really feel is in their hearts. As long as its being productive, productive for the team.”

Of course, if Spikes can help the Bills beat the Patriots more than once a decade, such talk might seem more substantive.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Brandon Spikes is ready to back up his trash talk”
  1. rc33 says: Apr 22, 2014 2:33 PM

What difference does it make?
    Trump wants to buy the team and the Buffalo Jills are suing the Buffalo Bills.
    All is lost…

2. foofooface says: Apr 22, 2014 2:40 PM

if Trump buys em he’ll be Jerry 2.0….
    damn he sucked on the 30 for 30 ‘Small Potatoes’

3. keepongronking says: Apr 22, 2014 2:43 PM

Brady and Belichick will be licking thier chops at the prospect of throwing Spikes’ way.

4. 6ball says: Apr 22, 2014 2:45 PM

Couldn’t cover a book.

5. ampats says: Apr 22, 2014 2:51 PM

Patriots fans would love to see Spikes on the field on third down and any passing situation as anyone who has seen him play knows he is a liability as he can’t cover a lamp.

If it snows on the day of the game, Spikes won’t be there either.

6. bushwoodcc says: Apr 22, 2014 2:56 PM

The Bills are planning a new defensive scheme with Spikes on the team.

Let’s just say it involves a lot of over top Safety help for a certain inside Linebacker.

7. harrisonhits2 says: Apr 22, 2014 2:57 PM

Lol at a 2nd rate player comparing himself to Mayweather and Ali.

8. doe22us says: Apr 22, 2014 3:04 PM

So you are saying EJ can outduel Tom Brady.. great, I actually dont recall the last time the Bills beat let alone swept the Patriots. He seems like a clown. If he were that good he would have been retained by the Pats and signed a lucrative deal. The problem with the NFL is that too many marginal players are spouting off. I blame the media and social media for that. Scrubs shouldnt be heard from period.

9. bullcharger says: Apr 22, 2014 3:18 PM

Saying he want’s to beat the Patriots isn’t exactly trash talk. It’s pretty obviously the goal of his whole team to beat their opponents.

While it wasn’t the typical politically correct drivel that players spout, Spikes didn’t really say anything that would hurt his team.

I think I’d be much more worried if he thought he would lose to the Patriots.

10. patriottony says: Apr 22, 2014 3:39 PM

The Outstandng Bills (LMAO) have not swept the patriot in this CENTURY,,,LET ME SAY that again,,,in this CENTURY!. The bills have won 2 out of the last twenty games against the PATRIOTS. Brandon, you know better, if you were worth a damn, you would still be on the patriots. But if any of you bloggers want to prove me wrong, let me know.
    How many teams in the NFL get taken to court by the freaking sideline gals? REALLY????

11. anujsingh83 says: Apr 22, 2014 3:51 PM

He’s a run stuffing LB, he’ll obviously be off the field when passing downs occur. As patriots fans/worshippers, you people ought to know that.

12. dac458 says: Apr 22, 2014 4:26 PM

Did he just compare himself to Ali and Mayweather….all I have to say is Baaaaahhhaaaaaa!!!

Haven’t laughed that good in a while! Keep up the hilarious comments two down backer.

13. bigbadbills says: Apr 22, 2014 4:32 PM

I love all the Pats fans talking like they follo them before 2001. The pats will always be the laughing stock of the NFL. And their brief success is easily discredited because they cheated and all. Before all you whinny nancy boys start saying everyone does it (which they dont) answer one question for me. Why did the NFL destroy the tapes? The Pats will be CT bound before the Bills ever move.

14. red26sox says: Apr 22, 2014 5:55 PM

Patriots all time winning percentage (including the AFL days and playoffs) = 0.542, Bills all time winning percentage = 0.464. The Bills had a good run in the early 90s but mostly they have sucked. The Pats were good in the late 70s, mid 80s, mid to late 90s, and during the Brady era. BTW the Pats have more NFL playoff wins than the Jets and Bills combined.

15. marima07 says: Apr 22, 2014 6:35 PM

Pats fans weren’t ticked off with Spikes’ new-found freedom on Twitter to trash talk about beating his old team, it was when he turned on the fans that ticked them off — the same fans who supported him while he was here.

16. surfinbird1 says: Apr 22, 2014 6:56 PM

I’m 100% sure he would still be in New England if Bill thought enough of him to offer him a contract.

17. buzzardmeat101 says: Apr 23, 2014 9:51 AM

bigbadbills says:
    Apr 22, 2014 4:32 PM
    The Bills haven’t played well as a team in a very long time, QB issues and piss poor defensive schemes along with a crumbling stadium, jealousy is obvious and if you think the Pats are going anywhere you are as delusional as Spikes. Jeremy Jacobs will buy the team and manage them into oblivion forcing a move to Toronto where his base of operations for the lucrative concession business is located and get a shiney new stadium. I hope you enjoy listening to Spikes comparing himself to Mayweather and Ali because it’s going to be the most entertainment from the Bills orginization for quite a while to come and when the snow starts falling in August be prepared for the dancin fool to miss or just blow off practices and meetings. He may have had a very talanted cousin play and he’s been trying to live up to that but the man is locker room poison and a general POS as a player and person so GOOD LUCK with all the jabs at the Pats and Spygate thingy and in the imortal words of Yoesemity Sam GAFAW and HARDEEHARHAR silly rabbit!!!
    Oh by the way I’ve been a Pats follower my whole life and I’m old enough to retire and collect a pension while I’m sure you’re still waiting for your first sniff of a vag that ain’t yours!!!

18. robertocfg says: Apr 23, 2014 11:53 AM

As a Pats fan, it’s great that Spikes speaks up his mind. But seriously, “If I can get in a guy’s head, I’ll take advantage of it. . .”???

Come on, Brandon. You’re not getting in anyone’s head with those comments. If anything, Brady, Belichick and McDaniel’s are having a meeting right now, brainstorming on the many ways they will make you look like a fool, laughing histerically with every new idea.

You spent four years here. One would think that by now you would know better than providing bulletin board material to Bill. That, of course, if you had the smarts.

19. rahavort says: Apr 23, 2014 12:36 PM

If he’s ready to back his talk up by injuring his knee and being on IR again then he is probably right!

20. denverwally says: Apr 23, 2014 3:20 PM

Brandon, talk is cheap. If you were worth a damn you would still be in a Pats uniform. You’re just pissed they didn’t want you back. Deal with it.