David Wilson expects to be cleared for OTAs

David Wilson AP

Giants running back David Wilson isn’t afraid to get back on the field. If anything, he’s eager.

After having neck surgery in January, Wilson said he’s feeling good, and is hoping to be cleared to return to OTAs later this spring.

“For sure,” he said, via Conor Orr of the Newark Star-Ledger. “I expect to. I want to.”

Wilson said he didn’t feel any pain in his neck, and is waiting for X-rays to confirm that his spinal cord fusion surgery was successful. He insisted he was ahead of schedule, and wasn’t concerned about the risk of coming back.

“I never had pain from the injury, even the day after it happened; the moment after it happened,” Wilson said. “I’m in the locker room telling the coaches, ‘let me go back out there, I don’t feel anything.’ I sneaked out onto the field and was removed. Because I didn’t have any pain.”

As much as the Giants might hope he’s right, they were also smart to bring Rashad Jennings in for cover, in case the clearance Wilson suggests is coming soon doesn’t.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “David Wilson expects to be cleared for OTAs”
  1. dwinsgames says: Apr 22, 2014 3:45 PM

They needed Jennings or someone else anyway. Wilson looked mediocre at best for us even when he did hold on to the ball.

2. doe22us says: Apr 22, 2014 3:49 PM

Well, now that his neck is ok, good that it is. In all fairness what a fantasy bust. Good luck to whomever drafts him.

3. joejgibbs says: Apr 22, 2014 4:11 PM

Giants had serious O line issues last year. It’s not fair to give up on him yet or put the ineffectiveness of the running game on him alone. The O line was the far bigger problem.

4. justinstuckrule says: Apr 22, 2014 4:23 PM

I can’t even recognize my Giants any more. The new QB was supposed to be Nassib but now it’s Josh Freeman.

With Will Hill gone, the defense has a huge hole that can’t be filled. No Linval Joseph, no Keith Rivers, no Will Hill, no Terrell Thomas. Looks like 5 wins would be a good season.

Hopefully they will be better by 2017.

5. mikejune says: Apr 22, 2014 4:45 PM

“No Linval Joseph, no Keith Rivers, no Will Hill, no Terrell Thomas.”

Yes, they will be missing the All-Pro caliber performances of that bunch.

Hopefully Wilson can get healthy and learn to hold on to the ball. When he can do that, he is a home-run waiting to happen. But the fumbles are too much,

6. newjerseygiants says: Apr 22, 2014 4:54 PM

Wilson could turn out to be great. You just never know. I think the Giants need to use him more for little dump passes over the middle, etc and let this fast kid fake out some defenders and break some big ones.

7. justintuckrule says: Apr 22, 2014 5:15 PM

We’ll be fine once fixed the o-line.

8. ragnarthemagnificent says: Apr 22, 2014 5:19 PM

This dude will be lucky if he ever plays another down in the NFL. On a list of NFL Rb’s he would be dead last. No punch, no strength, no finesse, no burst and fumble-itis. Giants will draft an RB that supplants him before the season begins.

9. kd75 says: Apr 22, 2014 5:38 PM

Wilson is a strike out or a home run type of RB.

Give him a clear path to the defensive backfield and he is gone for 6. Nobody can catch him.

But if you can jam him up at the line it is a three yard loss.

10. hakunamangata says: Apr 22, 2014 5:41 PM

I expected him to be more useful than a cheeseburger last season, but guess we’re both in for disappointments.

11. wishingtonredslur says: Apr 22, 2014 6:04 PM

Will Hill isn’t gone and he was hardly a face of the franchise anyway.

12. louiedogg16 says: Apr 22, 2014 6:12 PM

David Wilson = one of the reasons I finished in third and not first in fantasy football, along with Richardson and Amendola. You just can’t trust him with the football.

13. gofor2with3pointlead says: Apr 22, 2014 6:46 PM

I actually, as opposed to fantasy, wanted the Buc’s to take Wilson over Martin. Martin has worked out fine for the Buc’s but I don’t think the jury is out on Wilson. He needed to be coached not benched and woefully under used. He needed to play that rookie season to acclimate to the NFL. For Christ’s sake he fumbled the one time in 2012 but he was in Coughlin’s doghouse until week 14, December 9, 2012, Wilson set the New York Giants team record for all-purpose yards in a single game when he accumulated 327 all-purpose yards in a 52-27. I can hear Coughlin now “who knew”.

14. pologroundsvet says: Apr 22, 2014 10:04 PM

Hopefully they will be better by 2017.

See above for the definition of pessimist.