Doug Marrone recently had cancerous mole removed

Bills Patriots Football AP

Bills coach Doug Marrone has disclosed that he recently had a cancerous mole removed from his skin.

“During a recent doctor’s visit, it was discovered that I had a cancerous mole on my skin, which has since been removed,” Marrone said in a statement posted on the team’s website. “The only follow up required is to have my moles checked every three months and that basically is the end of the story. The recent extraction procedure will have no effect on my ability to coach the team moving forward.”

Marrone, 49, did not specify the location of the mole or the type of cancer, which was discovered during a recent doctor’s visit.  Some forms of skin cancer, like basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma, are very treatable, if caught early.  Even the most serious form of skin cancer, melanoma, can be cured if detected and treated before it spreads.

Jim Johnson, former Eagles defensive coordinator, died due to melanoma in 2009 at the age of 68.

Marrone’s situation serves as an important reminder to examine all skin at least once per month for any abnormal moles or growths.  Ask your doctor to do a skin examination during check-ups and physicals.  And be sure to get any suspicious areas checked as soon as possible by a dermatologist.

As my dermatologist said in January after slicing from my leg a small growth that turned out to be benign, “A little paranoia can save your patients’ lives.”

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
13 Responses to “Doug Marrone recently had cancerous mole removed”
  1. abreathofsanity says: Apr 22, 2014 11:26 PM

Must be the water up there. Don’t see that problem in Tampa.

2. thegreatgabbert says: Apr 22, 2014 11:33 PM

After the doctor sliced that small benign growth from leg of Mr PFT his voice rose a few octaves.

3. rexryanseacrest says: Apr 22, 2014 11:37 PM

And in other news, Bill Belichick picked his nose and ate it when he thought no one was looking.

4. therealjr says: Apr 22, 2014 11:54 PM

You call yourself a lifesaver. I call you pimple popper MD!

5. connorchew says: Apr 22, 2014 11:57 PM

just hearing a JJ reference made me shed a tear

6. george1859 says: Apr 23, 2014 7:40 AM

Tampa?
    You can lose your life by going to a store to get a gallon of milk, and being robbed for your pocket change.

7. exboomer says: Apr 23, 2014 7:47 AM

Considering how much time coaches and staff spend outdoors it’s not surprising this could be a problem. I hope Marrone starts using sun screen during TC and during the season.

8. ralphwilsonisrich says: Apr 23, 2014 7:51 AM

Obviously he had it performed by a qualified skin doctor too.

9. mousetrap08 says: Apr 23, 2014 8:33 AM

These responses on here are disgraceful. Any kind of cancer I hear about I take very serious and these people who make jokes about it should be ashamed of themselves.

10. pioniere says: Apr 23, 2014 10:12 AM

Thank you Dr. Florio.

11. slamtrackslikeqbsacksfromlt says: Apr 23, 2014 11:07 AM

melanoma is nothing to mess around with. it enters the bloodstream real fast and metastasizes pretty quick.

basal cell on the other hand is pretty much cancer in name only… very common, very treatable and almost never deadly.

Cancer sucks, but hopefully Marrone had the latter.

btw, even though I’m a Giants fan and Eagle hater, I really miss Jim Johnson. One hell of a coach and he embodied a lot of the great things about this sport… RIP

12. hrmlss says: Apr 23, 2014 12:22 PM

“recently had a cancerous mole removed from his skin”
    Where else would it be? On his car bumper?

13. surfinbird1 says: Apr 23, 2014 2:20 PM

When I read the headline first thing I thought was that he got rid of Spikes already.
    Stay healthy coach.