Kurt Coleman says he turned down better deals to sign with Vikings

Kurt Coleman

Kurt Coleman thought Minnesota was the best place for him, even if the Vikings’ offer wasn’t the best one he received in free agency.

Coleman, a safety who signed with the Vikings last week, accepted a deal in Minnesota that pays a salary this year of $900,000, with nothing guaranteed. Coleman said both the Colts and the Jets offered him some guaranteed money, and that he got one offer with a higher base salary as well.

“But for me it was more important about finding the right opportunity and the right staff and an organization that believes in you,” Coleman told the Pioneer Press. “And I think in the long term I’m betting on myself to succeed, and I think I will. The money wasn’t there that I wanted, but that’s OK because I know that it will come around. . . . It’s about reasserting myself as a starter in this league and being a top performer as a safety.”

Even though the Vikings’ starting safeties from last season, Harrison Smith and Jamarca Sanford, are still in Minnesota this year, Coleman believes there’s a better opportunity for him to have an impact in the Vikings’ defense than there would have been anywhere else.

“Of course, I want to start,” Coleman said. “I’m a competitor. I want to get out there and I want to start and I want to be the best player that I can be, and I think I have plenty more room to grow.”

If Coleman grows into a player who can contribute to the Vikings’ defense, then Minnesota got a great deal.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
34 Responses to “Kurt Coleman says he turned down better deals to sign with Vikings”
  1. lmoneyfresh says: Apr 22, 2014 7:07 PM

I hardy think Sanford has a hold on that starting spot. He’s nothing more than a placeholder.

2. statsdolie says: Apr 22, 2014 7:15 PM

Coleman is a good backup and special teams player if he has to play extended snaps good luck minny.

3. jollyjoker2 says: Apr 22, 2014 7:18 PM

plenty of opportunity now that d line is blown up and the continuity excuse will run rampant.

4. tvguy22 says: Apr 22, 2014 7:18 PM

On behalf of Eagles fans everywhere, thank you Minnesota.

5. remyje says: Apr 22, 2014 7:21 PM

Harrison Smith is a better quarterback than Christian Ponder…

6. purplengold says: Apr 22, 2014 7:36 PM

There are many more important pieces still to find.

7. philadelphialovescheesteaks says: Apr 22, 2014 7:42 PM

Kurt is a great team player and a welcome addition to any backup corps!

8. mad55555 says: Apr 22, 2014 7:43 PM

In other words, he wanted to sign with a garbage team so he won’t get cut and get a chance to start. I totally understand and my condolences to your career

9. tinbender2000 says: Apr 22, 2014 8:03 PM

At least he admitted the Vikings were the only team crappy enough that he has a chance to be a starter.

10. greymares says: Apr 22, 2014 8:11 PM

I love the kids effort but his mind is writing a check his talent can’t cash.

11. vik3z says: Apr 22, 2014 8:32 PM

smart plan, hes gets to play for a defensive genius and if he can become a starter, next to a all-pro caliber safety in harrison smith

12. chicagosports2014 says: Apr 22, 2014 8:35 PM

Guess he is OK without having a Super Bowl

13. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: Apr 22, 2014 9:09 PM

He just knows that the Vikings defense is horrible enough that he’ll easily get to start over Sanford.

14. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: Apr 22, 2014 9:10 PM

Chicagosports- kind of like Jared Allen signing with the Bears

15. genericcommenter says: Apr 22, 2014 9:10 PM

He’s a minimum salary type player.

16. dontouchmyjunk says: Apr 22, 2014 9:19 PM

Not a bad career for a 7th round draft pick. Proves heart can take you a long way even if you’re a little short on talent.

17. Glassguy9 says: Apr 22, 2014 9:33 PM

I guess you can comment about a Super Bowl .Wait a minute how long since the Bears have won one,oh yea thirty friggin years.What have you done for me lately?

18. Remember Brian Brohm says: Apr 22, 2014 9:35 PM

Not unlike Brett Favre, Kurt Coleman’s fondest desire was always to play for the Minnesota Vikings.

19. mhm0428 says: Apr 22, 2014 9:36 PM

After seeing him play here in Philly for the last few years, he should have taken the guaranteed money and not bet on himself. He looses that bet most of the time.

20. banlarson says: Apr 22, 2014 9:38 PM

Kurt Coleman, Tom Johnson, Derek Cox, and Terrell Manning are all former starters that lost their job and all signed veteran minimums to come to MN. These all seem to fit what coach Zimmer looks for to motivate and get to play up to their potential. Will they all make the team? Probably not, but even if one ends up resurrecting his career its a win/win.

Pairing these guys with Linval Joseph starting NT, Corey Wootton (backup lineman for depth), and Captain Munnerlyn Nickel corner, two key positions were improved. Vikes have done well without spending much money and set them up to draft best player available.

21. simplegodfather says: Apr 22, 2014 9:49 PM

Mmm what?!? you picked non-playoff vikings but playoff bound Colts and Jets?
    Just you can be a starter, get coaching staffs to encourage you? all for less money than others?

I think he still having concussion while meeting vikings…

22. arnoldziffel says: Apr 22, 2014 10:13 PM

The Vikings are quite capable of finishing 5th in a four-team division …

23. nfl fan says: Apr 22, 2014 10:19 PM

This guys an idiot. It won’t be long before he commits his first personal foul.

24. Frazier28/7 says: Apr 22, 2014 11:11 PM

who wouldn’t? by the way paker weirdo’s, the signing of this guy would be declared as ted thompson most important move of the offseason

25. prs250player says: Apr 23, 2014 12:29 AM

Translation: This team has such crappy players that I might actually get to play!

26. knew8411 says: Apr 23, 2014 1:12 AM

This is the kind of player I want on my team. To me a move like this shows that there are guys who play for the love of the game, or their team mates, and dont make the almighty dollar their driving force.

27. mtx1992 says: Apr 23, 2014 6:11 AM

He still has nightmares of Trent Richardson

28. ragnarthemagnificent says: Apr 23, 2014 8:14 AM

In Zimmer we trust. We’re comin!

29. stellarperformance says: Apr 23, 2014 8:48 AM

In other words, “I am a normal player, nothing special. As a result, I took the first opportunity offered, knowing I could be replaced at any moment. I sure hope it works out”

30. peoriaviking says: Apr 23, 2014 10:16 AM

“the right staff and an organization that believes in you,” . . . didn’t believe in him enough to guarantee him a dime. Nevertheless, I hope he succeeds and best of luck to him.

31. whatjusthapped says: Apr 23, 2014 10:42 AM

Believe in him my butt. The Vikings secondary got whipped more than a rented mule last year so Coleman simply concluded that the Vikings were the worst in the NFL and if you can’t play for that team, you have no other chance.

32. officialgame says: Apr 23, 2014 12:26 PM

My Grandmother ran a faster 40 then Coleman. In a wheelchair.

33. deltaoracle says: Apr 23, 2014 3:40 PM

Vikings are clearly in a rebuilding mode for the next 2-3 years. Sorry Adrian.

34. phillysandiego says: Apr 23, 2014 11:54 PM

Better than average player. People criticizing him don’t know him. Just repeating after the comments before them. Can hit, can tackle and can run. Gives all out effort. Step below All-Pro, but is a consistent performer. Kind of player every team should have. No attitude problems, just wants to play ball. Good Luck Kurt.