Call in the hogs: NFL schedule up against NBA playoff game

Jerry Jones AP

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban might not be happy that the NFL is hogging all the attention tonight.

The NFL’s schedule release has become a thing, tonight at 8 p.m.

As noted by David Moore of the Dallas Morning News, in a delightful coincident, Cuban’s Mavericks play the San Antonio Spurs in a playoff game at 8 p.m.

Wonder which will create more buzz?

Of course, tonight’s unveiling of the order of a list we already know the contents of is pretty much Cuban’s point, that the porcine NFL is risking overexposure.

But Cowboys owner and Arkansas alumnus Jerry Jones replied good-naturedly that he thinks everything’s going to be fine with his business.

“I respect Mark,’’ Jones said. But with all due respect, I know more about pigs than Mark does.

“I was taught as a Razorback to be lean and mean, not a little fat pig.’’

Of course, it’s easy for Jones to bring home the bacon, when his schedule release will draw more attention than Cuban’s playoff game.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
33 Responses to “Call in the hogs: NFL schedule up against NBA playoff game”
  1. doomsdaydefensetx says: Apr 23, 2014 8:26 AM

Niners @ Cowboys week 1 SNF

2. ctiggs says: Apr 23, 2014 8:29 AM

Jerry doesnt know much about anything.

3. qdog112 says: Apr 23, 2014 8:31 AM

Schedule Release …? I’m on the edge of my seat. Did Goodell secretly hire LeBron James or Johnny Wildcat to handle this production?

Perhaps they can get Jimmy Clausen to ride up to Times Square in a limo, step out to the sounds of trumpets to read the schedule to a throng of parade-ready NFL fans.

Wow, I can’t wait.

4. bucrightoff says: Apr 23, 2014 8:32 AM

NBA Playoffs are weak. NHL Playoffs are where it’s at.

5. thewiseowloftruth says: Apr 23, 2014 8:32 AM

If it was Game 7 of the NBA Finals, then maybe my response would be different.

Otherwise, i’d much rather watch a Jaguars v. Browns preseason game with the competitiveness of the Pro Bowl tonight than the Mavericks game.

6. 87hollywoodhorn says: Apr 23, 2014 8:33 AM

Okay Jerry Jones, I can dig that.

7. bmorepositive123 says: Apr 23, 2014 8:34 AM

I hate the NBA too, but honestly, I will not be watching any show related to the NFL’s schedule release.

I’ll save myself the hour worth of commercials and read about it an hour or two later

8. 52lightsxout52 says: Apr 23, 2014 8:36 AM

What is the “NBA” you speak of???

9. starfan79 says: Apr 23, 2014 8:37 AM

this is televised? Dont you just log on and glance at it for a second, predict a record and move on?

10. savocabol1 says: Apr 23, 2014 8:38 AM

I honestly don’t know why people care about this schedule release stuff.

11. jjb0811 says: Apr 23, 2014 8:41 AM

Mark’s right, I’m tired of mock drafts & non stop writing over what may or may not happen. Do the draft, set the schedule and get the players back on the field with their team.

I’m watching the college spring games not journalist grasping for straws about Clowney or Bridgewater.

12. ghost26 says: Apr 23, 2014 8:50 AM

…”I respect Mark,’’ Jones said. But with all due respect, I know more about pigs than Mark does.”

You said it Jerry. Just leave that alone & that’s the quote of the year.

13. dcapettini says: Apr 23, 2014 8:53 AM

College spring games? Wow, what a kick they must be; games that don’t count and are little more than glorified practices.

If you are not interested in the run up to the draft, don’t read and watch. Very simple. Kind of like the Kardashians or TMZ. I’m not tired of mock drafts; I don’t pay any attention to them, just like 90% of all the news stories I get in my paper or see on the internet.

14. cbosa says: Apr 23, 2014 8:59 AM

I’d rather watch grass grow than watch the NBA or NHL playoffs.

15. reesesteel23 says: Apr 23, 2014 9:01 AM

We care so we can pick/plan which games to buy tickets for!!!!

Stop raining on everyone’s parade trolls.

16. sterling7 says: Apr 23, 2014 9:12 AM

Does anybody watch the National Boring Association??? If they could format the NBA closer to the NCAA tournament-maybe people would care!

17. ampats says: Apr 23, 2014 9:13 AM

Does anyone think Goodell decided between Wednesday and Thursday night that since Cuban’s Spurs would be on National TV Wednesday night , what a better way to stick it in his face especially if the ratings ( which they will be ) are higher for fans watching a release of the NFL schedule as opposed to watching a NBA playoff game?

18. ampats says: Apr 23, 2014 9:13 AM

Mavericks I meant

19. jdbaker01 says: Apr 23, 2014 9:16 AM

If there is one thing that Jerry knows about it’s how to choose a good GM. Just look at the one he has now. Oh wait, maybe he doesnt know anything after all.

20. girthhammer says: Apr 23, 2014 9:17 AM

I wonder how the concept of NFL Network would have done on Shark Tank.

21. stealthscorpio says: Apr 23, 2014 9:26 AM

Schedule is a non event unless you run a blog

22. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Apr 23, 2014 9:30 AM

The NFL schedule must be released in prime time and the draft is in prime time instead of Saturday afternoon like many years before.

Perhaps Cuban had a point about the NFL being overexposed.

23. trollhammer20 says: Apr 23, 2014 10:04 AM

I can’t watch the show tonight.

I’m a partial “cord cutter” who only has cable TV from the second week of August until the first week of February. The rest of the time, it’s a complete waste of money for me.

You figure it out.

24. metitometin says: Apr 23, 2014 10:12 AM

Cuban has a point. I’ve never been into Thursday night football. Who needs it? Is anyone desperate for football on Thursdays? The games are terrible and the football is worse.

I miss when the NFL draft was an all-day Saturday affair and started at 12 noon on Saturday. Who wants to watch the NFL draft at 8pm on a Thursday night?

I’m just sick of the NFL putting everything in prime time slots, from the NFL playoff games on Saturday nights to Thursday night football and the NFL draft. It’s all done for the sake of ratings but there is a definite risk of overexposure.

25. wtfchiefs says: Apr 23, 2014 10:41 AM

I’m sorry, but if you spend 3 hours watching a schedule release, you really need to get a life.

26. djshnooks says: Apr 23, 2014 10:50 AM

That’s sad if people really watch either of these over playoff hockey.

A schedule show? Are you serious? What a joke…I hope it completely fails.

27. djshnooks says: Apr 23, 2014 10:52 AM

Not to mention the NFL show is 30 minutes…a basketball game is 2 hours.

The NFL is not very good at math.

But if people honestly tune into the schedule show, that’s pathetic…you have zero life and some serious issues.

28. SBoy says: Apr 23, 2014 11:00 AM

Cuban is not the best person to make the point because it is easy to see him doing the same thing if he was in a position to do so… I have no interest in watching a show about the schedule but the fact that there is a show about the schedule won’t make me any less interested in NFL games.

29. rcali says: Apr 23, 2014 11:25 AM

Are you kidding me! I’m have a “Schedule Release” party with the left over stale chips from my “Pro Bowl” party!

30. ivanpavlov0000 says: Apr 23, 2014 2:14 PM

I doubt that any bars are going to be more interested in the NFL schedule launch than an NBA playoff game.

31. hardrockfootballfanatic says: Apr 23, 2014 2:55 PM

I love the NFL but I am not going to put other sports down at its expense. The NBA Playoffs are a lot of fun and so are the NHL Playoffs.

32. laxer37 says: Apr 23, 2014 6:21 PM

Unless you live in an NBA city you probably didn’t even know the NBA postseason had started. The NFL has appeal everywhere year around.

33. Savage Lizard says: Apr 24, 2014 2:30 AM

The first minute of the schedule release I watched was more than the total combined NBA I have, or will watch. The NBA is beyond boring, every game is essentially the same, you’ve seen one you’ve seen ‘me all. Besides, the first 46 minutes of a basketball game is just filler, doesn’t really matter. Then a bunch of fouls, timeouts, and free throws. I seriously have no idea why anyone watches basketball.