Josh Freeman: I still see myself as a starting-caliber quarterback

Josh Freeman

Josh Freeman rapidly declined from a franchise quarterback in Tampa Bay to a disappointment in Minnesota to a backup where he is now, with the Giants. But Freeman thinks he can be a franchise quarterback again.

Although Freeman knows he has no chance of beating out Eli Manning this season, he believes that a good year as a backup for the Giants can put him back into position to start somewhere else a year from now.

I still view myself as a starting-caliber quarterback,” Freeman said, via NJ.com. “I love the situation because I have the opportunity to be around a guy that really had a lot of success, year after year and continues to win and get his team to the playoffs consistently. It’s a really, really cool opportunity.”

Freeman admits that he played “an awful game” the last time he was in New Jersey, his lone start for the Vikings against the Giants. But Freeman says he didn’t have as much time to prepare for that game as he would have liked, and he thinks he’ll be better when he gets time to settle in to a place where he’s comfortable.

“Looking back, maybe not as prepared as I’d like to have been for the situation, or as much as I thought going into the situation,” Freeman said. “But like anything in your past, it’s an experience to learn from.”

At just 26 years old, Freeman still has time to gain more experience, and to become a starter again. It just won’t happen this year, as long as Manning is healthy.

Permalink 83 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
83 Responses to “Josh Freeman: I still see myself as a starting-caliber quarterback”
  1. ydousuk says: Apr 23, 2014 12:08 PM

Too bad no one else does…

2. youtubeingravenvids says: Apr 23, 2014 12:09 PM

Nobody else does.

3. adross47 says: Apr 23, 2014 12:09 PM

So does Uncle Rico

4. lennydpocketqb says: Apr 23, 2014 12:11 PM

There is enough tape on this guy to stop him from basically everything. Let us pray for the health of Eli Manning.

5. mythaimyke says: Apr 23, 2014 12:11 PM

Dream-on, Never have and never will be!

6. Pittsburgh Steelers says: Apr 23, 2014 12:12 PM

Your favorite target is the sidelines.

7. shaggyjeff says: Apr 23, 2014 12:13 PM

Good team and good coaching is all he needs…. 8 franchise records at age 25 is pretty dang good…. Besides Manning is on the decline and Free will take over a good situation.

8. hrmlss says: Apr 23, 2014 12:15 PM

Look out Eli, your reinvention of yourself, may turn you into Josh Freeman….

9. blowpackblow says: Apr 23, 2014 12:16 PM

If you can’t make it in MN I have got bad news for ya buddy! Christian Ponder beat you out! Time to get a real job…

10. swaggyy says: Apr 23, 2014 12:16 PM

Hey Josh, I think you need laser eye surgery.

11. phillyguyindc says: Apr 23, 2014 12:16 PM

I get that it could be a possibility that he wasn’t prepared for the first start in Minny, but if they didn’t play him for the rest of the season that has to say something.

12. feelnsavage says: Apr 23, 2014 12:16 PM

Freeman lol u r officially a clown for that comment… In what world do you live in ? where Eli gets the Giants consistently to the playoffs?

13. nonetruerthanblue says: Apr 23, 2014 12:17 PM

Plenty feel like he can be. If you knew the guy, you’d think differently about him. Humbled by this experience and why can’t he have a shot at redemption?

14. lsuzilla says: Apr 23, 2014 12:17 PM

Dude must be still suffering from the effects of his last concussion.

15. kneelbeforesod says: Apr 23, 2014 12:17 PM

Of a really bad (and desperate) team.

16. theclink12 says: Apr 23, 2014 12:18 PM

It’s nice that you do but unfortunately 32 NFL teams disagree with you.

17. mnjoemama says: Apr 23, 2014 12:19 PM

37.5 qb rating

18. justintuckrule says: Apr 23, 2014 12:19 PM

Love the Eli haters…..here’s the deal…

Giants fans take your QB to win our FF leagues and watch our own QB with NFL leagues.

#bestofbothworlds

Cheers!

19. officialgame says: Apr 23, 2014 12:21 PM

We have much in common I see myself as Tom Brady.

20. tundratommy says: Apr 23, 2014 12:21 PM

If he couldn’t start for the horrid Viking team, he’ll have to go to the arena league or Canada to fulfill his fantasy.

21. buddysguys says: Apr 23, 2014 12:21 PM

really? all i see is a chump who threw lob balls to Williams and VJ.

22. iceburgskin202 says: Apr 23, 2014 12:22 PM

Even though Eli had a rough season last year I beg the Giants brass to find a way to play Josh Freeman!! Signed Redskins, Eagles, Cowboys

23. cuda1234 says: Apr 23, 2014 12:22 PM

Shouldn’t he worry about beating out Curtis Painter and Ryan Nassib first?

24. holla2626 says: Apr 23, 2014 12:22 PM

It is official …concussions cause brain damage

25. mrtullymars says: Apr 23, 2014 12:23 PM

He might view himself that way, but the key is to make other people view him that way. He has the physical tools, but mental toughness and emotional stability are big question marks. He’s young enough to get another chance, but someone will have to take a big chance on him acting like a grown up.

26. usmutts says: Apr 23, 2014 12:24 PM

It was ridiculous the way the Vikings threw him into the fire with minimal practice. I don’t know if this guy is a starter quality QB or not, but I know he wasn’t coached at all last year.

27. vikingdoode says: Apr 23, 2014 12:29 PM

bwahahahahahaha oh boy this was good

28. piglesias20 says: Apr 23, 2014 12:29 PM

Josh Freeman better never play a down of football again. He is not a good NFL QB…He was not a good College QB for that matter. I really hope he gets laughed out of NY/NJ. I wish nothing but the worst for him.

29. daburgher says: Apr 23, 2014 12:31 PM

Career Passer Ratings

Freeman 77.8
    Eli 81.2

Both of these guys are extremely average

30. sportsfan18 says: Apr 23, 2014 12:33 PM

Physically you have the tools…

Mentally… well if you’re looking for a reason WHY you’re not a starting QB in the NFL… there is your reason…

I mean you’re 6′ 6″ tall and weigh 240 lbs

You’ve got the size and the strength, the arm strength etc… (one 2011 article when I Googled Josh Freeman arm strength listed him at #3).

Josh is kind of slow as his 40 yard dash time was only 4.9 but fine he isn’t a running QB… Neither are most starting QB’s.

Peyton Manning ran a 4.8 when he was a kid at the combine… and he’s much slower now…

So Josh has all the physical tools to play QB…

10 cent brains don’t last long as starting QB’s in the league Josh…

31. fartweasel says: Apr 23, 2014 12:34 PM

He has a very high opinion of his own importance. Look at his stats since his one good season. His td/int ratio is backup quality at best so is lucky to have a job. He was thrown into the fire by the vikes, but that didn’t affect his ability to hit an open receiver, which he can’t.

32. daburgher says: Apr 23, 2014 12:34 PM

@piglesias20
    Did freeman punch your kitten or something?

33. nykfanwakemeupin2015 says: Apr 23, 2014 12:37 PM

I am shocked he is a back up. He is still better then some of the starting QB’s in the league. He had an ok couple of years before Schiano.

34. icanspeel says: Apr 23, 2014 12:37 PM

What else do you expect him to say? “I see myself being the best backup ever, especially if I don’t get to play!”

35. ghost26 says: Apr 23, 2014 12:38 PM

‘Josh Freeman: I still see myself as a starting-caliber quarterback’

Good for him. The problem is that NO ONE else does.

36. nomoreliesfortoday says: Apr 23, 2014 12:41 PM

Eli consistently gets his team into the playoffs?

lol….okay.

37. stevenray72 says: Apr 23, 2014 12:45 PM

Just be glad that you are still an NFL Quarterback.

38. qdog112 says: Apr 23, 2014 12:45 PM

4-year starter the same age as Super Bowl winning QB, Russell Wilson. If this kid has no substance abuse issues and can overcome the stench of the dysfunction while playing for a coach bent on his destruction, he’ll make it.

Being in the NFCS, I saw him play alot and his trajectory was headed up until Schiano came in. Where is he now? Blame Freeman all you want, Greg Schiano was the major problem there. If he wasn’t, why is he GONE?

Freeman just can’t get rabbit ears, hearing all the experts, who have never played anything but … themselves. At 6’6″ 240 and only 25, you guys are kidding yourselves.

39. psuorioles says: Apr 23, 2014 12:46 PM

Remember when people said Freeman was better than Flacco? That was funny

40. nite2al says: Apr 23, 2014 12:46 PM

Wow, you guys are harsh. There is so much that goes into playing well in the NFL as far as timing, coaching, the team you’re on and being in the right situation at the right time. I hardly think this guy’s career is over. There was a time when Kurt Warner couldn’t make a practice squad.

41. nflviewer says: Apr 23, 2014 12:47 PM

Why would any write something like the posting quoted below?

“I wish nothing but the worst for him” Why would anyone write something horrible like that?

==============================

piglesias20 says:

Apr 23, 2014 12:29 PM
    Josh Freeman better never play a down of football again. He is not a good NFL QB…He was not a good College QB for that matter. I really hope he gets laughed out of NY/NJ. =====I wish nothing but the worst for him.=====

==============================

42. Remember Brian Brohm says: Apr 23, 2014 12:51 PM

I could see where Freeman maybe wasn’t well-versed in the playbook when he made his start against the Giants last year, but how does that explain throwing the ball 10 yards over the head of a wide open receiver? Besides that, there was obviously something going on behind the scenes that made it obvious the Vikings didn’t want him around in the future.

43. ravensfaninflorida says: Apr 23, 2014 12:51 PM

Maybe in the CFL !!!!!

44. thefiesty1 says: Apr 23, 2014 12:51 PM

If Eli throws for another 20 plus ints Freeman may get his chance before the season is over.

45. bullcharger says: Apr 23, 2014 12:52 PM

Of course he does. Why would he want to think of himself as a back up. He’ll probably never start again though. That’s just reality.

46. Big Ant TV says: Apr 23, 2014 12:54 PM

my cleveland browns would take freeman all u need is coaching!!!!

47. theflyingelvis says: Apr 23, 2014 12:55 PM

I know I’m in the minority here, but I think that in the right situation with the right coaching this kid could be a pretty good ( not great) starting QB. He’s got the size and strength, and he has a cannon of an arm, but he still looks raw. Maybe sitting behind Eli for a bit will help him, and the Giants are a pretty strong organization. You can’t hold the Minnesota debacle against him, that shouldn’t even count. What a bunch of morons. They give the guy like five minutes of practice with the team and then throw him out there. Dumb.

48. haytammy says: Apr 23, 2014 12:55 PM

Aw, that’s cute.

49. englishguy24601 says: Apr 23, 2014 12:58 PM

HA! Reality just sent you a text Josh. You’re a joke of a player. Have fun NOT playing.

50. DitkasHair says: Apr 23, 2014 1:01 PM

Once you have a skill you OWN it….if he can find it, maybe he will be.

The Vikings were dreadful, can’t blame that one on him.

51. wawa33 says: Apr 23, 2014 1:04 PM

Josh Freeman; “Unicorns are real.”

52. pfatl says: Apr 23, 2014 1:17 PM

To the guy who said that it was telling that Freeman didn’t play after the one game in Minn (where he didnt have the benefit of an offseason or even a reasonable amount of time to learn the scheme), your point makes no sense. Same for those of you who knock him for not beating out Ponder in Minnesota (who did have the benefit of an offseason and prep time).

Remember, there was a time that Drew Bledsoe’s practice evaluations put him in over Tom Brady.

At the end of the day, you don’t know what a guy has until you give him the right opportunity with the right supporting cast. It’s clear that Freeman hasn’t had that. Not clear what he’d do with it.

Oh, and I hate the Giants so I hope this isnt the right place for him or that he doesn’t have what it takes.

53. realskipbayless says: Apr 23, 2014 1:18 PM

He’s a turrible knucklehead and a turrible qb

-Charles Barkley

54. jdbaker01 says: Apr 23, 2014 1:25 PM

It would take a real idiot of a GM to make him a starter again. In other words, Jerry Jones.

55. rickrock6661982 says: Apr 23, 2014 1:25 PM

He couldn’t start on the Minnesota Vikings.

And that inept franchise brought back two of the slugs that beat him out last year.

56. tinbender2000 says: Apr 23, 2014 1:26 PM

Freeman>Ponder

57. nflinsider711 says: Apr 23, 2014 1:31 PM

I’m not gonna write him off just yet. The way Eli’s play has been trending lately, I wouldn’t be surprised if Freeman is starting by Week 8.

58. bosshoghussla says: Apr 23, 2014 1:32 PM

I am heading to Vegas tomorrow, putting all my money on Eli getting injured week 1 or 2.

Freeman comes in and plays OK, going .500.

After the season, Oakland grossly overpays him, continuing their remarkable trend of acquiring every veteran who can’t hang on to their starting job.

59. llojac1 says: Apr 23, 2014 1:38 PM

yea, makes alot of sense. if he truly believes he’s a starting QB, then why sign with a team that he’ll never see the field with? How is that going to prove to others that he’s a starting QB? What a dummy…

60. petedutcherjr says: Apr 23, 2014 1:40 PM

Frasier threw him to the wolves in ONE game and then dumped him. Freeman was not given a fair chance there.

In Tampa, he was fine until his last year, in which things then went downhill. I believe his horrible agent gave him bad advice on how to get out of Tampa and it backfired.

If the kid gets on a good team with good coaching, plays in a backup role for a short while, he may just turn his career around.

People thought Warner sucked at one time as well.

61. chris6523 says: Apr 23, 2014 1:49 PM

What’s he supposed to say “I’m just here to cash a check and since I’ll probably never play because Eli rarely misses any action, I really don’t care to prove myself”

62. jgedgar70 says: Apr 23, 2014 2:00 PM

“I still view myself as a starting-caliber quarterback,” Freeman said

Well, you’re the only one, dawg. You’ll be holding that clipboard for a while.

63. dcstinks says: Apr 23, 2014 2:16 PM

In the CFL or Arena.

64. winstonjed44 says: Apr 23, 2014 2:23 PM

Of course he’s says that and believes that. What is he supposed to say: I am a terrible qb and teams my only hope is to be a serviceable backup? If he isn’t confident enough in his abilities to think he can start, then he is of no use to a team. Every backup in the league believes they have what it takes.

65. ninjapleazee says: Apr 23, 2014 2:27 PM

I remember when he first got drafted and proclaimed himself to be the starter. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

66. rikker12 says: Apr 23, 2014 2:34 PM

“I still view myself as a starting-caliber quarterback,”

Ponder said the same thing!
    And so the Vikings are looking for a QB…… Again!
    And all of the really good to great QB’s are taken. I guess your SOL again Vikings.
    Another 3-13 season is upon you.

67. khenien says: Apr 23, 2014 2:51 PM

So much hate. Every QB in the NFL needs to tell himself that he could start to build some confidence. Is he supposed to say that he’s happy being a backup? He sucked last year, but that doesn’t mean his career is over. I hope he does well.

68. edelmanfanclub says: Apr 23, 2014 2:57 PM

That makes you and ….you.

69. dbones641 says: Apr 23, 2014 3:10 PM

You suck bro. Deal with it. Settle as a backup or go to Canada but stop bitching about how good you “think” you are.

70. harrisonhits2 says: Apr 23, 2014 3:16 PM

Its hard to tell because Tampa and Minny were so awful last year.

The fact is that half the QBs that fail in the league might have been successful on better teams. The bad teams almost all have terrible Olines, and it doesn’t matter even if you had Brady or Manning if the Oline is really bad the QB is not going to be successful

71. St. Louis City of Champions says: Apr 23, 2014 3:17 PM

Josh Freeman>RGMe

Rams will beat both of these losers en route to a SB win anyways!

72. fanofthegame1 says: Apr 23, 2014 3:28 PM

So…. all you experts think he should say he sucks and has no chance. I guess he should just retire, because you guys know everything about everything. The only one’s bitching are you guys.

73. kingokra says: Apr 23, 2014 3:32 PM

“I still see myself as a 24 year old stud.”
    – me at 51 years old

74. bbbmf says: Apr 23, 2014 3:52 PM

You don’t throw for 3400, 3500 and 4000 yards in successive seasons by accident…the kid can play. The Schiano and Minnesota experiences definitely reflect negatively but to discount his talent reflects uninformed bias.

75. nflcommissioner says: Apr 23, 2014 3:54 PM

I see yourself working at McDonalds

76. beerndrums says: Apr 23, 2014 4:00 PM

Eli might be average but he taught the cheaters in NE a lesson or two

77. whatjusthapped says: Apr 23, 2014 4:14 PM

I still see myself as a stand in replacement for Johnny Holmes but that ain’t happening either.

78. cptbuff says: Apr 23, 2014 4:44 PM

And I want a toilet made of solid gold but its just not in the cards, baby!

79. cptbuff says: Apr 23, 2014 4:45 PM

Who cares about Career Passer Rating?

Career Super Bowl Victories

Eli Manning: 2 (with 2 MVPs)
    Josh Freeman and hundreds and hundres of others: 0

80. ksiner says: Apr 23, 2014 5:00 PM

Well of course you do, just like I see myself as a starting corner. The problem is like with me, no one else sees it!

81. zerole00 says: Apr 23, 2014 5:45 PM

I’m sure Vince Young thinks he’s starter caliber as well.

82. nomoreseasontix says: Apr 24, 2014 1:24 AM

The guy has the physical tools, but he’s just not smart enough to be a very good quarterback.
    Many times that’s the difference between a good QB and a bad one.
    The good ones process information faster.

83. ixdarexu says: Apr 24, 2014 8:59 AM

Might get his shot Eli is on the decline.