Draft delay not good for the NFL

nfl-draft1 Getty Images

Mark Cuban may have been right.

It took me a while to type that.  I don’t want Mark Cuban to be right, for various reasons.  Including, you know, Mark Cuban.

But I’ve come to wonder whether Cuban may be on to something when he talks about the NFL getting too big for its own good.  Of the league getting so big that the audience becomes taken for granted.

Whatever the motivation — the given excuse was a scheduling conflict at Radio City Music Hall for an event that eventually was canceled due to lack of interest — the NFL’s decision to bump back the draft by two weeks has been as much of a dud as the NFL-sanctioned film Draft Day.  A palpable fatigue has emerged regarding the draft.  We sense it, and we (or at least I) currently have it.

While the league reportedly would like to space out the three major offseason tent poles (Scouting Combine, free agency, and draft) to March, April, and May, respectively, moving the draft to May while leaving the other two in place has created the worst thing any media-driven industry can have:  A lull.

No one likes the lull.  Also, agents don’t like the fact that teams have more times to ask players to engage in private workouts.  Teams don’t like having more time to evaluate and obsess and think and re-think.

As one G.M. said via text on Wednesday night, “Remind me again why the draft is not tomorrow? Is it so we can see another two weeks of mock drafts?”

We’ve yet to hear from anyone who likes the two-week delay, and the extended vacuum that it creates in the offseason.

By the time the draft begins, nearly two months will have passed since the start of free agency.  And while the schedule release provided a temporary oasis from the lagging of the offseason calendar, a feeling remains that too much time is elapsing between major offseason events.

Here’s hoping the NFL, in its admirable desire to always improve the product, recognizes and admits that the effort to improve the product by delaying the draft by two weeks hasn’t.  Here’s hoping that the NFL moves the draft back to what would have been tonight, keeping it there unless and until the other two major offseason events move deeper into the calendar as well.

Permalink 175 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
175 Responses to “Draft delay not good for the NFL”
  1. kingokra says: Apr 24, 2014 3:33 PM

I could not agree more!!!

2. westsiiide says: Apr 24, 2014 3:33 PM

Whatever. This gives you talking heads 2 more weeks to say outlandish things about Clowney which provides rational people plenty of entertainment. Win, win.

3. nfloracle says: Apr 24, 2014 3:34 PM

Lulls are nice. We should all turn off our damn computers and go fishing for a couple of weeks. Get some fresh air in our lungs and give our poor eyes a break from staring at monitors most of our walking moments.

4. 52lightsxout52 says: Apr 24, 2014 3:34 PM

Just think: Tonight would’ve been the first round, if they would’ve left it alone. [sigh...]

5. sandersmarcus10 says: Apr 24, 2014 3:34 PM

Moving the draft back two weeks was the worst idea since using replacement refs!

6. hanifmiller says: Apr 24, 2014 3:34 PM

I couldn’t agree more. Then there’s the format to consider. I used to have draft day get togethers on Friday and Saturday and now I can barely stay up to watch the draft on Thursday and Friday.

7. warhammer420 says: Apr 24, 2014 3:34 PM

2 more weeks of mock drafts… *shudder*

8. wchadwicks says: Apr 24, 2014 3:34 PM

Amen.

9. themonkeyman says: Apr 24, 2014 3:35 PM

Mark Cuban was correct. It may still take time but what he said will prove to be right.

10. johnnyjagfan says: Apr 24, 2014 3:36 PM

Hey! They released the schedule yesterday. We’ve had a week or so to talk about it & a show on the Network dedicated to it. Wasn’t that enough NFL for us to chew on until the Draft?

Just kidding. It’s dragging things out for the kids, teams & fans.

11. mikelitoris1 says: Apr 24, 2014 3:36 PM

It’s getting to the point where I feel like barfing every time I hear draft news / annoying smokescreens.

Thanks Goodell.

12. iwilltrollyoubad says: Apr 24, 2014 3:37 PM

Can someone see if Kerry Collins has any input on this?

13. dolphins4 says: Apr 24, 2014 3:37 PM

Moving the draft back is the worst idea the NFL came up with yet.

14. pooflingingmonkey says: Apr 24, 2014 3:37 PM

I couldn’t agree more. By now, the analysis has gotten tedious. At this point, I’ve completely tuned out the Mel Kipers of the world.

15. fin72 says: Apr 24, 2014 3:37 PM

By the time the Draft finally gets here Kevin Costner will be offering up FOUR 1st round picks for the #1 overall!

16. trbowman says: Apr 24, 2014 3:38 PM

Can’t speak for anyone else, but my personal interest in the NFL has declined significantly the last few years. Yeah, I’m still posting here and watching on Sunday – but the passion is missing.

I just miss the times where defense could actually be played and everything wasn’t a penalty against the defense. The game is so absurdly tailored to offense, especially QBs and WRs. It’s not the same as it used to be. I miss the old days.

17. b3nz0z says: Apr 24, 2014 3:38 PM

i bet goodell would claim the fans love it

18. We'reFineThere says: Apr 24, 2014 3:41 PM

Thank you. This is the least interested I’ve been in the draft since I started following it. I haven’t watched any coverage on NFL or ESPN this year yet and I bet web clicks are down on draft related sites this year. I always thought Combine/Free Agency to the draft was a little long as it was. This is the first year since before Carr/Peppers I won’t know the name of every first rounder (Tyson Alualu aside).

While we are it, I know this isn’t the NFL’s doing, but all the Donovan McNabb/Regis Philbin channels need to go to.

19. hrmlss says: Apr 24, 2014 3:41 PM

As it stands now the Draft is in the middle of Turkey season. In April, it missed it. As it stands now I’ll be dragging my butt and hopefully a bird out of the woods just in time to go a sleep on the couch and miss the draft.

20. elvis2013 says: Apr 24, 2014 3:42 PM

This sux… I really hope the NFL changes the draft back to where it is supposed to be. This 2 week delay, UGGHHH…

21. winstonjed44 says: Apr 24, 2014 3:43 PM

100% agreed. Everyone is tired of the mock drafts, and personal interest stories and anonymous quotes about prospects. Teams brought some prospects in they probably wouldn’t have normally just to fill the time. Just ready for the draft to be here.

22. mrags2000 says: Apr 24, 2014 3:43 PM

Truth.

23. calibear831 says: Apr 24, 2014 3:43 PM

Touché

24. theworkhorsebackdotcom says: Apr 24, 2014 3:43 PM

Excellent point about the lull, but there is bound to be a lull after the Draft as well. Maybe the after the draft lull is shortened now, but for the guys in the business who usually like the time off after the draft this must be a major inconvenience.

25. keylimelight says: Apr 24, 2014 3:43 PM

They gave the excuse that an Easter Pageant had beaten them out at RCMH which sounded improbable, now that so-called pageant has been cancelled.

Was league trying to nose its way into May for the May Sweeps revenue or does that not come into the picture?

What’s going on here?

26. reporterofthetruth says: Apr 24, 2014 3:43 PM

“It’s all about the money”
    Roger Goodell

27. kgsmith says: Apr 24, 2014 3:44 PM

draft needs to be moved back.. this is rediculous.

28. paulland81 says: Apr 24, 2014 3:44 PM

Amen! May was always full of analyzing what happened in the draft and looking forward to OTA’s, having the new players interviewed, etc. Goodell didn’t think this one through very well.

29. bbourne0 says: Apr 24, 2014 3:44 PM

I think it’s a forgone conclusion that this has been terrible. As a fan, I can only stand so much draft analysis (read: over analysis) until I’m blue in the face.

Probably a small thing here, but it also gives draft picks less time to become acclimated to their new situation before things pick up. Less time to shore up a living situation, less time to meet with new teammates, etc.

Move it back to April. Please.

30. areyouseriousrofl says: Apr 24, 2014 3:45 PM

The NFL flirted with an idea that proved unsuccessful. The draft will be in April in 2015.

31. oreo51 says: Apr 24, 2014 3:46 PM

Those of us in Seattle can entertain ourselves by watching reruns of the Super Bowl. Other than that, yeah, the extra couple of weeks is boring.

32. dinoman110 says: Apr 24, 2014 3:46 PM

Thank You!! this delay is not adding to the mystery it is exhausting.

33. hummer53 says: Apr 24, 2014 3:47 PM

To quote Ray Allen. Yes Yes Yes

34. kobesnotmike23 says: Apr 24, 2014 3:47 PM

Remember the days when you would get excited for ” draft weekend”?

Saturday being rounds 1-3 and Sunday 4-7. Ah the days

35. patriotsdefense says: Apr 24, 2014 3:48 PM

i still remember when the draft was in mid April

36. clownsfan says: Apr 24, 2014 3:50 PM

Next thing we’re gonna hear is that Roger wants to move the Draft to London

37. macdaddyspeed says: Apr 24, 2014 3:51 PM

Agreed. My way of coping is ignoring all things draft related due to the resulting frustration of waiting so long for the draft. Typically, I would love to read/watch draft rumors and stories. not now. the time lapse is too much.

38. thestrategyexpert says: Apr 24, 2014 3:52 PM

Yeah but the NFL could have done so many things differently such that the story would be a magnificent tale of success and prosperity, with they key focus being that those things also translate to new dollars and more fan enjoyment. But that ship has sailed because of the incompetent captain at the helm.

39. blazenhawks says: Apr 24, 2014 3:52 PM

I never thought that this was a good Idea moving it another 2 weeks the draft is fun to watch but 60% of fans only watch the first round and even than its not something that they are like on man I wish the draft was today.

This feels like when they tried to move the Pro-bowl nobody cared but the NFL.

40. jredshoes says: Apr 24, 2014 3:52 PM

The draft won’t be changed. May sweeps mean more NFL money and the wishes of the fans will be ignored. Just like crappy refs, defense being one big penalty, stupid Thursday night games. At some point either we or more likely our children will move on to something else because the NFL doesn’t care what the fans want

41. rickyspanish24 says: Apr 24, 2014 3:53 PM

2 weeks after the last weekend of April every year I’d find myself saying, “Man I wish the draft was this weekend.” This year, my dream becomes a reality.
    I love this move.

42. kabasaman says: Apr 24, 2014 3:53 PM

Time for a “New” Commissioner…….

43. zeke2517 says: Apr 24, 2014 3:54 PM

What’s wrong with Mark Cuban? He’s a hugely successful guy who made his fortune by actually creating something, which is hard to find nowadays. Most owners of sports teams made their money by buying and selling things without actually improving value. Or they inherited the team. Or they live in Green Bay and have nothing better to do with their money.

While Cuban’s opinions are usually rarely subtle and ruffle more than a few feathers, he is usually right. When he isn’t he is still trying to make something better. Most people, when asked questions on camera, say “the right thing.” That is why interviews with athletes and coaches are mostly worthless.

44. theclink12 says: Apr 24, 2014 3:54 PM

Great comments by Florio…I couldn’t agree more.

45. dickroy says: Apr 24, 2014 3:55 PM

Is there still such a thing as Football season, Baseball season, and Basketball season?

I know the NBA is close to year round.

46. willjasper says: Apr 24, 2014 3:55 PM

They moved it to May so they could take advantage of May Sweeps and charge more for it from their broadcast partners.

It was a money driven move.

47. flipola says: Apr 24, 2014 3:56 PM

Aside from the fact that fans just want the draft ASAP, the rookies could use this time to get acclimated to their teams.

48. audient says: Apr 24, 2014 3:56 PM

Once local sports radio in Cleveland was coming up with outlandish scenarios involving “what if the Browns could trade for Colin Kaepernick” then I knew this was taking way too long.

49. jxt2521 says: Apr 24, 2014 3:56 PM

It’s also reducing the time teams have to adjust their rosters after the draft. Not to mention give out contract extensions.

50. buddysguys says: Apr 24, 2014 3:58 PM

IT’S OUR DRAFT AND WE WANT IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!

#JGWENTWORTH

51. toddsage1billsfan says: Apr 24, 2014 3:58 PM

Bad move NFL! Overkill, beat to death, etc….pick the phrase. Cuban is exactly right, less is more….law of supply and demand….EVERYone is sick of the draft babble by this point and have largely tuned it out. Change it back to April.

52. dawksclaws says: Apr 24, 2014 3:58 PM

For what it’s worth all three have become totally watered down. What I use to watch as recently as last year I now don’t. Food never tastes good when you are force fed it daily.

53. dirtybird70 says: Apr 24, 2014 3:58 PM

Yes sir!

Draft would/should be just a matter of hours away :(

54. johnnyparada says: Apr 24, 2014 4:00 PM

Sounds like you are agreeing with the owners and the commissioner that we need extra games on the season.

55. fissels says: Apr 24, 2014 4:00 PM

Anyone know how to contact Goodell to tell him how much we hate moving pack the draft?

56. kansacity88 says: Apr 24, 2014 4:01 PM

Hell, I still remember when the draft was more than 7 rounds! I’m thinking that it’ll be moved back next year. That Easter thigamajig won’t have a second chance this time. No one is beating out the draft in RCMH next year.

57. seasickcecil says: Apr 24, 2014 4:01 PM

I couldn’t agree more. If I have to read 1 more mock draft I’m going to jump off a bridge.

58. scw1993 says: Apr 24, 2014 4:05 PM

The conflict with using the Radio City Music Hall venue could have been avoided by taking turns where the draft is held. How about each team’s city getting a piece of the draft, tired of it being in Goodell’s backyard every year.

59. chargerdillon says: Apr 24, 2014 4:09 PM

I always loved having the draft being on my birthday week/weekend as I always would tune in for it all day long.

We wait long enough already for the draft, all this speculation leads to overkilled speculation on what was already overkilled.

60. pickleman77 says: Apr 24, 2014 4:10 PM

It needs to go back to the Saturday-Sunday format too! I hate the 4 day, weekday night format.

61. whiteknightblackheart says: Apr 24, 2014 4:11 PM

I wish they’d make the entire draft on one Saturday again. So much better.

62. MasMacho says: Apr 24, 2014 4:11 PM

Man, this offseason has been bad:

The Browns are so bad even movies about their drafts are busts.

The schedule release was a grossly over-marketed activity that emphasized shock value and unnecessary drama. Tell me why again that SEA faces 3/4 pre-season opponents during the regular season? I read that they went through 500k permutations of the schedule before they chose…. the one that makes them the most money.

Fortunately for the NFL, the NCAA looks so bad right now that the shield and its ugly profit mongering is going mostly unnoticed.

Bad enough that the UFC is contending with an accused murderer and a convicted sex offender, but the NFL has a would-be terrorist, several wife-beaters, drug cheats, drug addicts, dead-beat dads, etc.

Good times.

63. bobzilla1001 says: Apr 24, 2014 4:15 PM

The draft should be held in EARLY APRIL, when the weather is still lousy. Plus, here in Pittsburgh, the Steelers are merely afterthoughts this time of year, pushed not just to a backburner but clear off the stove, in favor of the Penguins, who are the local media’s main focus from September until July each year. Seems as though the Pittsburgh sports media are unable to multitask. Very frustrating.

64. rocketcrab says: Apr 24, 2014 4:17 PM

Why is it that such a successful and popular business like the NFL constantly screwing around with what works? A team in London, a Super Bowl outside of the US, moving the draft to May……..or is it their willingness to try stupid new things the reason it’s so successful? Nah……..

65. longtimefanhtr says: Apr 24, 2014 4:18 PM

I think Goodell’s dog hates him.

66. raymondtx says: Apr 24, 2014 4:20 PM

Johnny Manziel hates it because he has to hold his beer belly in for 2 more weeks!!

67. bigredgoog says: Apr 24, 2014 4:20 PM

AT&T should sponsor the draft for 10 years and the ATT would stand for April-Third-Thursday.

In past years I tried to schedule around the draft and it was always somewhat hidden when it was going to be. Make it absolutely predictable.

68. veence69 says: Apr 24, 2014 4:20 PM

Roger Goodell is killing this league.

69. houndofthebaskervols says: Apr 24, 2014 4:27 PM

I’m sick of the NFL. I’m sick of the mocks, I’m sick of McShay and Hairdo, I’m sick of all the speculation and these ridiculous “visits” and private workouts. Get on with it for chrisakes!

70. jfholdforth says: Apr 24, 2014 4:27 PM

-“the NFL’s decision to bump back the draft by two weeks has been as much of a dud as the NFL-sanctioned film Draft Day.”-

So “Draft Day II” has been shelved?

71. cursedvikings1998 says: Apr 24, 2014 4:30 PM

Roger Goodell sucks almost as much as the Vikings do. But not quite.

72. beerbudsnbevo says: Apr 24, 2014 4:31 PM

Mel Kiper isnt happy either… All that extra hair spray cost a fortune

73. thegreatgabbert says: Apr 24, 2014 4:32 PM

It’s so they can make a sequel to “Draft Day”. To be known as “Draft Delay”.

74. motown81 says: Apr 24, 2014 4:33 PM

100% in agreement. Our entire football group at the office has gone completely stale on the draft as there has been too many mocks and too much delay. It should have been happening tonight. They blew this and need to fix it.

75. cliffordt says: Apr 24, 2014 4:33 PM

Is May sweeps month? That’s why I thought they moved it.

I remember when it was on January 28th.

April 28 is my birthday, let’s put the draft back to my birthday.

76. farmmbig says: Apr 24, 2014 4:37 PM

My suggestion for the 2015 Draft…. Being the NFL wants to be in the news all the time…

Begin it on April 1st—First Round consists of One pick per day for 32 straight days….. This way ESPN and NFL Network can devote an entire day of reviewing the pick/player/team and projecting what the next pick should/will do!!

Then have the Second and Third Rounds on a Thursday Night…

Fourth and Fifth Rounds on Friday Night…

And Sixth and Seventh Rounds on Saturday.

77. tribefan1199 says: Apr 24, 2014 4:41 PM

As several others have said, moving the first round to Thursday night and changing the weekend format already killed my interest in the draft. Sure, I’ll watch for when my Browns pick at #4, but then I’ll turn it off and go to bed. I’ll only stay up since they will be picking within the first half hour.

Go back a few years, my friends and I would have weekend long parties watching the draft, running mock draft pools, making up drinking/betting games during the draft, etc. Isolating the first round on a Thursday night killed all of that.

78. thefiesty1 says: Apr 24, 2014 4:45 PM

Absolutely! He who hesitates is lost. (Goodell) They could have started the draft on schedule and held it at Giants/Jets Stadium. Does anyone give a damn that it has to be at Radio City Music Hall? It’s the NFL Football Draft not a music concert.

79. uglydingo says: Apr 24, 2014 4:48 PM

Why was it imperative to put back the Draft by 2 weeks? Nothing happens in the NFL unless Commissioner Goodell approves it. Other sports have underlings who can make decisions but nothing gets done in the NFL without Roger. So why the delay?

80. newjerseygiants says: Apr 24, 2014 4:48 PM

A year ago I told my friends that if the NFL were a stock, its getting pretty close to selling it short.

81. phinagain says: Apr 24, 2014 4:49 PM

This draft date is not likely to change, but it did jump the shark.

Coming expansion of the playoffs will likely mean the whole off-season may move back. This would include the superbowl. Later superbowl means more cold-weather teams have a shot at landing the game, which means more competition for bowl bids, which means more money for the league. The result of the pushback means free agency and the combine also move back about two weeks, restoring the original spacing, but leaving intact the March-April-May format.

The end game is a year-round sport, because camps/activities would start in June.

Overexposure? Sure, at some point. But Cuban’s analogy missed the mark a little. They may be pigs now, but they want to be fat cats. They’re not trying to grow a sport, they’re trying to build an institution by keeping the NFL on TV and in the news year round. Americans love tradition, and the NFL keeps giving us new ones.

82. trollaikman8 says: Apr 24, 2014 4:53 PM

I remember the old days when the Draft was already over and done with and by now Jerry’s draft grade was a unanimous C- .

83. uglydingo says: Apr 24, 2014 4:56 PM

Why does the Draft have to be held in New York? It could be a positive to move it around to different cities, like different teams bid for the Super Bowl.
    Yes, Radio City Music Hall is a good venue but there are probably many others that would be just a successful. Big crowds would come in any of the major cities.

84. banlarson says: Apr 24, 2014 4:57 PM

Should have moved it up by 2 weeks, not back.

85. lscratchingthesurface says: Apr 24, 2014 4:57 PM

Move the draft back to April! Making all the rounds appear on 3 different days is stupid. Maybe the 1st round but not a separate day for round 2.

86. jagsandliquor says: Apr 24, 2014 4:57 PM

Agreed

87. theraptorpaddock says: Apr 24, 2014 5:00 PM

Sick to death of going round and round in circles discussing prospects. And we still have another two weeks of it. I try not to think about the fact that it should have been tonight…

88. shuttaman1990 says: Apr 24, 2014 5:02 PM

Goddell, this is all your fault.
    Again.

89. fwippel says: Apr 24, 2014 5:03 PM

Pushing back the draft was a VERY bad idea, and you can place the blame squarely on the shoulders of Roger Goodell. There was no purpose to or justification for doing this. The only possible reason for this was that it was a change from the norm, which apparently qualifies it as a good idea in Roger Goodell’s mind.

The one thing Goodell exhibits without fail is the knack for taking NFL fans for granted. From increasing overseas regular season games, to pushing for a London franchise to increasing playoff qualifying teams and watering down the regular season in the process, Goodell is killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

Yes, Mark Cuban is right about this, like it or not.

90. yooperman says: Apr 24, 2014 5:04 PM

Have the draft in the city that wins the Super Bowl.

91. tucobenedictopacificojuanmariaramirez says: Apr 24, 2014 5:11 PM

The draft should always be conducted in the third week of April and it should be hosted by the Super Bowl winning city from the most recent season. So, Seattle, this year and Baltimore, last year, etc.

92. axespray says: Apr 24, 2014 5:23 PM

The Farm on the Walking Dead was less boring than the wait for this year’s draft.

93. deke952 says: Apr 24, 2014 5:24 PM

Next they’ll hold one round per week so the draft can last from May into June. It’s almost enough to make me take an interest in the NBA playoffs and their draft.

94. larochex99 says: Apr 24, 2014 5:26 PM

I’ll give you another reason to change it back, It’s the Fishing Opener Weekend in Mn. A lot of guys can’t watch it now because they be out on lakes. I know in the grand scheme of things no big deal, but it does stink!

95. realfootballfan says: Apr 24, 2014 5:26 PM

Just another one of Roger’s gems.

96. abqhawk says: Apr 24, 2014 5:27 PM

I think its more about the talking heads having already ANALized everything and now have no new useless material to bombard fans with for 2 more weeks!

97. renbutler says: Apr 24, 2014 5:37 PM

So they tried it one year, and if it doesn’t work, they’ll go back.

Either way, this has absolutely nothing to do with Mark Cuban, or what he said.

98. coloradofort says: Apr 24, 2014 5:38 PM

I have stopped listening to any of it

99. footballalldayeveryday says: Apr 24, 2014 5:39 PM

Does else anybody think that the extra time for teams to bring in players has brought more mystery to the draft?

100. robdolphins says: Apr 24, 2014 5:41 PM

I agree with all of you that think this is dragging on. We are all complaining , but then we will all watch the draft on May 8 & ratings will be good. The NFL will not learn any lesson!

101. nonyt says: Apr 24, 2014 5:58 PM

I don’t know whose idea it was to move the draft back 2 weeks but, IT WAS A STUPID IDEA!

102. granadafan says: Apr 24, 2014 6:00 PM

The NFL has stopped caring about the fans long ago. They fleece/threaten taxpayers into corporate welfare for shiny new stadiums every couple of years, charge exhorbitant amounts for tickets, parking concessions, rake in billions off TV revenue then actively prevent fans from watching the game on TV if not enough people take loans out to buy tickets.

103. jeanoroid says: Apr 24, 2014 6:08 PM

The draft is the only offseason event I tune in for..
    The Nike Football League is doing a wonderful job of alienating all its old school fans.

104. CKL says: Apr 24, 2014 6:21 PM

I absolutely love all things football, but the NFL is teetering on the precipice of “the law of diminishing returns”. I have nothing against making money but at a certain point, all you’re doing is turning customers against you if you tinker too much. And it will be damn near impossible to get those people back once they put down the remote.

105. bayouranch says: Apr 24, 2014 6:22 PM

burnout and complete loss of interest

106. inallsincerity says: Apr 24, 2014 6:23 PM

If the NFL were smart, they would’ve held the draft last Thursday. It’s still early for MLB and the NBA regular season ended and playoff seedings were already determined. The NFL could’ve held their first three rounds Thursday and Friday and concluded the draft Saturday and Sunday. Had they done that, they could’ve gotten the ratings they wanted, and people would’ve have snuck a peak over the weekend during timeouts or between innings. Remember, greed is the root of all evil…

107. kev86 says: Apr 24, 2014 6:26 PM

I love the draft and bored reading about it. Been ready for weeks. Total buzz kill.

108. realdealsteel says: Apr 24, 2014 6:27 PM

This “pushing the draft back” issue is just another attempt by greedy owners to make every freakin move they make an “event”.

Just put the draft back to it’s original draft date and stop being so darn greed Goodall! Jesus Christ!

109. kabasaman says: Apr 24, 2014 6:30 PM

Why should Jet’s, Giant’s and Philly fans be the only ones, in reality, who are allowed to attend the draft. Same crap every year. Hearing all the fans of these three teams with all their nonsense. The draft should go to a different NFL city every year…. Rodger. NOT IN ENGLAND EITHER ……… RODGER….

110. rodh32340 says: Apr 24, 2014 6:31 PM

This delay will implode on the NFL…ratings will be worst in 5 years!

111. pikebg40 says: Apr 24, 2014 6:45 PM

Moving the draft back is the worst idea the NFL came up with yet to replacement refs.You can only do so many mock drafts and the draft analysis on ESPN, NFL Network and etc. are starting to get annoying. There I said it. Thanks Goodell but no thanks.

112. Frazier28/7 says: Apr 24, 2014 6:53 PM

Anyone else think the 2 less weeks these 21-22 yr olds have to get aclimated to their new surroundings and more importantly new playbooks will have a mjor impact on productivity from the rookies this year??

113. bassplucker says: Apr 24, 2014 7:15 PM

Of course it was a bad idea. Most of us fans called that the day it was announced. By 2nd weekend of May it is true spring even in the northern tier which means yard work, weddings, graduations etc. Whereas 2nd or 3rd weekend of April half the country still has snow on the ground and staying inside for 2 weeknights and a Saturday isn’t nearly as tough a sell.

Only Goodell thought was a good idea but unfortunately his is the only vote that matters

114. fish751 says: Apr 24, 2014 7:16 PM

Are they going to delay the start of training camps as well? No. So I am curious as to how many holdouts we will see as a result of this.

115. richardmswartz says: Apr 24, 2014 7:19 PM

The NBA and NHL playoffs will be late in their second rounds as opposed to early in their first too. That will take away viewership from the draft.

116. kurmudge says: Apr 24, 2014 7:20 PM

Indeed this is ridiculous. The delay helps no one. May is too late for this- they can delay the other events if they want, but I will stop watching, because the Combine was what we needed in the cold and snowy winter to forget the weather.

If they game this stuff any longer, I’m spending May outside, not glued to the TV.

117. armorgan67 says: Apr 24, 2014 7:22 PM

I don’t know why all of you bash Goodell, he’s just the commissioner, the owners run the league. Goodell is the face of the league and he has some power but not that much. Remember the owners hired him not the other way around. Pete Rozelle was the last commish to have the power everyone thinks Goodell has. All us fans can bitch and moan about the wait but when May 8 comes we will all be watching. If the ratings are bad only then will the owners think about moving it again and I don’t see that happening. Did anyone see the ratings for last night’s schedule show? It was thru the roof. This is about money and maintaining as much relevance throughout the year. Just looks at the months. January was the playoffs, February was the Super Bowl, March was signing big free agents, April was the schedule release and May will be the draft. June is really the only month where nothing big is happening. July camps start and August is preseason then the regular season. That’s what the NFL and its owners want and as long as we watch they will get it.

118. rascalmanny says: Apr 24, 2014 7:32 PM

I hate the delay! I’m already sick of mock drafts, etc.

119. lpsjlb says: Apr 24, 2014 7:35 PM

In the latest mock draft the Vikings were late getting their pick in and now will pick 9th, maybe.

120. lbcoach34 says: Apr 24, 2014 7:38 PM

It’f forcing me into watching the NBA

121. edenprairieballer says: Apr 24, 2014 7:58 PM

Since the NFL likes to pee on all of us I suggest everyone watch the Stanley Cup Playoffs!!!

122. raiderapologist says: Apr 24, 2014 8:05 PM

The two week delay just gives prospects two more weeks to get themselves in legal trouble.

123. neilanblomi says: Apr 24, 2014 8:06 PM

The draft will have ridiculously high ratings. I obviously like the rest of the world would like it to be today, but its not that big of a deal and I will just watch it in 2 weeks like everyone else posting here.

124. icup89 says: Apr 24, 2014 8:14 PM

So when the draft has just as good if not better ratings then last year is it still not good for them? I would rather it be today as its what I’m used to, but people aren’t going to not watch because its in 2 weeks.

125. eleventyeight says: Apr 24, 2014 8:15 PM

The heart of the game stopped beating when the league started calling it “the product”.

126. seahawkfanfrom1970s says: Apr 24, 2014 8:20 PM

I used to be nostalgic for the Pete Rozelle era. Hell, today under Goodell, even the Tagliabue era looks like the Golden Age of Football by comparison!

127. icup89 says: Apr 24, 2014 8:20 PM

Click like if you will watch the draft. Click Dislike if you won’t watch it because it is 2 weeks later.

128. fifthmaze says: Apr 24, 2014 8:25 PM

Give me a break. So it’s another two weeks away. Big deal. The NFL Draft will still draw more viewers than most sport playoff games.

Besides, what else you gotta do, Mike? So Christmas is moved back a couple weeks- don’t worry, you’ll still get all your toys. Promise.

129. ricardocabeza says: Apr 24, 2014 8:33 PM

Remember when we used to check the paper or see a list on ESPN to know who your team took in the draft. It is a non event either way. Now it is, “Oh look, my team is twelve picks from the podium,” channel surf, channel surf, “Oh look, they are 7 picks from podium,” take the dog out, grab beer, have beer with dog, “Oh look, my team is 3 away from podium” channel surf, get rid of beer….you get the idea

130. 1910nuffsaid says: Apr 24, 2014 8:35 PM

I keep reading that everyone is tired of it now, as it were being televised tonight. Its still 2 weeks away. Its not the delay its the continous inate babbling going on. Forget putting it back where it was, move it forward another 2 weeks. get it over with by the time all off-season activities start. In fact make it before free agency.

131. billytodd2013blbaad says: Apr 24, 2014 8:41 PM

Moving the draft back two weeks was the 3rd worst idea ever..#2 was using replacement refs and #1 was hiring that idiot Goodell as Commish!!

132. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Apr 24, 2014 8:51 PM

Totally agree! I can’t see any benefit to anyone involved having this late draft. But I see plenty of disadvantages.

Stop over thinking it and leave it alone.

133. icebowler says: Apr 24, 2014 9:19 PM

Ill tell you who isn’t complaining…the players and their union. Two less weeks for the rookies to get in the training room and the playbook, thereby decreasing their odds of taking the vets job this summer.

134. browns4ever says: Apr 24, 2014 9:31 PM

This goes for you NFL Games in Europe too! Not Cool.

135. steelerfan9598 says: Apr 24, 2014 9:45 PM

While you’re at it, move it back to Saturday and Sunday.

136. jetswithnoengine says: Apr 24, 2014 9:47 PM

The media has become the voice of the people the longer the fans wait the more time they get to speculate but I’ve yet to here of a fan who likes the delay it really just killed two weeks of excitement I mean people like suspense but to much of it can make you just loose interest I really do hate Goodell spell check capitalized his name but I used a lower case g for a reason his focus is to business minded to mesh with sports aren’t the ridiculous fines and constant changes enough his greed will kill America’s game

137. Pittsburgh Steelers says: Apr 24, 2014 9:48 PM

It’s refreshing to see an opinion piece that speaks the truth.

138. glenno08 says: Apr 24, 2014 9:52 PM

Even tonight is 2 weeks to late for me

139. bobsnygiants says: Apr 24, 2014 9:55 PM

Who’s idea was it anyway

140. boomgrounder says: Apr 24, 2014 10:06 PM

Word

141. gdeli says: Apr 24, 2014 10:08 PM

Perfect mike!

142. mangoman1966 says: Apr 24, 2014 10:23 PM

Hell. O can remember when the draft was the first week of February in the early seventies. Bring it back.

143. renbutler says: Apr 24, 2014 11:08 PM

Complaining this much about a two week delay due to a scheduling issue with the host location seems needlessly whiny.

144. garyhd01 says: Apr 24, 2014 11:25 PM

as a basketball and football fan i would have chosen to sit and watch the draft if it was tonight now in two weeks the nba playoffs will be in the 2nd round games and i may simply calcuilate when my team will be picking and choose to watch the playoff games instead nba gains nfl loses

145. jf203 says: Apr 24, 2014 11:37 PM

Only people benefitting from delay are injured college players that can have a later workout to show off and get more money than they would have

146. skinz31 says: Apr 24, 2014 11:46 PM

IF ITS NOT BROKEN THEN LEAVE IT THE HELL ALONE: Roger Goddell

147. jc327 says: Apr 25, 2014 12:02 AM

Doesn’t feel like an issue to me.

148. steelchampions says: Apr 25, 2014 12:05 AM

Waaaaaayyyyyy too long of a gap getting to the draft!

So tired of all the reports of ‘private work-outs’, mock draft number 77.0, and blah-blah-blah-blah…

These draft prospects are going to be too worn out to be of any use by the end of the season. Or worse yet, we’ll start to hear of injuries that developed during all of these work-outs that become a ‘nagging injury’ after only 2 weeks of the regular season.

NFL really botched this in a bad way.

149. drunkwino says: Apr 25, 2014 12:22 AM

Four years ago, I’d watch anything NFL obsessively
    Three years ago, notsomuch.
    Two years ago, I’d only watch my team
    Last year, I’d watch my team if it was on cable

I’m almost to the point of washing my hands of the NFL totally. It’s not football fatigue, I watch all the college football I can. I’m just tired of the naked cash grab that’s the NFL now.

150. motsuret06 says: Apr 25, 2014 12:59 AM

This was the worst idea the NFL has ever come up with and it was really stupid of Roger Goddell and the boys to schedule it for Mother’s Day weekend. They should move it back to April and everyone is for that except the suits at NFL HQ

151. bigtime1957 says: Apr 25, 2014 2:21 AM

as each day goes by I get less and less interested,

152. Savage Lizard says: Apr 25, 2014 2:47 AM

I guess I was the only one who liked a Draft a Day.

153. drwbrsdmndsnxplntn says: Apr 25, 2014 3:12 AM

I equate all of our psyches to be that of people that havent slept for days. Most people watch a couple highlight videos on YouTube, than hear a few people say “Savage is a first round pick” than everybody starts saying, “I wouldn’t mind taking Savage in the second round.” Bortles was first, if you’ve watched any of his film extensively he is Christian Ponder 2.0. Smart, Good Attitude, Hot Girlfriend, but a lack of understanding how to read even basic defenses.

Point being, our collective Groupthink is now even more now than ever, a tepid pool of acidic garbage, mob mentality. I am myself guilty of it as well, perhaps not nearly as much as my fellow football fans judging from the insanity I’ve been reading from my fellow football fans (of whom I respect each and every one), thus, subsequently in my merciful conclusion I would advocate allowing this May Draft experiment being catalogued, and within the realms of historical context and regard within the annals of Pro Football history in the same light as the time the Pro Bowl was in Miami. It just doesn’t work yo. In the same way we will realize the London Experiment will fail once we start hurling, perceptively, non-sensical insults across vast oceans at each other. Can you imagine Tom Brady being referred to as a “Bloody Wanker” in Published Sports Media? I am by no means a Traditionalist but… “If It Aint Broke…”

154. gillydee408 says: Apr 25, 2014 4:22 AM

Mark cubans right

155. campcouch says: Apr 25, 2014 5:12 AM

Ha! we still have OTAs,mini-camp,training camp and pre-season to contend with as well.

156. olcap says: Apr 25, 2014 6:05 AM

There is nothing admirable about these clowns’ desire to ruin pro football, which is what they’ve been doing ever since Roger Goodell became the sock-puppet commissioner.

157. krl007 says: Apr 25, 2014 6:05 AM

I’ve suggested it to the NFL before….take the draft OUT OF NY. Let the team with the #1 pick host the NFL Draft–get THEIR fans excited and out in droves instead of the majority Jets and Giants fans. Let THEIR communities financially benefit from hosting.

Oh wait….NFL HQ is in NY…oh wait…..having it NY is a tradition (yawn)

C’mon!!

158. mackie66 says: Apr 25, 2014 7:20 AM

There is no benefit for moving the draft back two weeks, there is no benefit for not moving the draft back to its original date,,,there is no reason for the draft to last a week (tongue in cheek). Move the draft back to one day,,,,

159. cgriffy84 says: Apr 25, 2014 7:23 AM

This is ruining the whole draft process because last year by April I was sick of mock drafts and hype you can only wait so long and get so hyped before u crash and just stop giving a crap sure you’ll watch the draft but you will stop caring about pre draft stuff all together Goodell is doing a good job of screwing this sport up and I truly believe this just adds to his horrible decisions column. It’s only a matter of time.

160. countyk66ers says: Apr 25, 2014 7:52 AM

I will be fishing.

161. chuckforeman44 says: Apr 25, 2014 8:05 AM

The NFL has broken the cardinal rule of success, “If it aint broke, dont fix it”.

162. phillyguyindc says: Apr 25, 2014 9:37 AM

If your life really hinges on the draft that badly, you need to get a hobby. Yes, you have to wait two more weeks but it’s not like there is anything tangibly bad about it. I don’t believe the NFL will lose any money or viewership when the draft finally does take place.

Everyone just relax lol

163. jobiwon22 says: Apr 25, 2014 10:20 AM

This is terrible. I’m going to ignore the NFL until the draft gets here. It should be two weeks earlier not later. The offseason events need to happen during the winter when I can obsess over them while stuck inside.

164. 1sttimepftcomment says: Apr 25, 2014 12:07 PM

Goodell is a tool, Cuban was right, and I liked the movie!

165. jollyjoker2 says: Apr 25, 2014 2:05 PM

draft s/b on Saturday and no delays..I want to party over the weekend and not blow up my week. Won’t do it.

166. jollyjoker2 says: Apr 25, 2014 2:10 PM

this draft analysis is like adding replay and another dozen challenge flags..ooh goody – you caught something and your right…I think I will go watch paint dry.

167. jbhackney says: Apr 26, 2014 9:58 PM

Truth is Goodell isn’t trying to reach profootballtalk readers, he already has us. We’ll still watch. He’s going for the casual fan who likes football but doesn’t watch the draft. Wait and see, this will be the most watched draft ever.

168. gregmorris78 says: Apr 27, 2014 10:09 PM

Their just experimenting.

169. hodag54501 says: Apr 28, 2014 8:06 AM

Maybe the gluttony of the NFL will lead to yet another league, one that doesn’t assume the fans will tolerate anything.

How about a new league based on the Green Bay model, all based on non-profit?

The NFL is a prime example of what happens when you have a monopoly.

170. igocommando says: Apr 28, 2014 11:29 PM

Thanks NFL. I can’t say I won”t watch the draft, but at this point I’m not sure when it is or if I really even care.

171. buzzardpointlookout says: Apr 29, 2014 3:34 AM

Your future NFL schedule template:

– 2 preseason games
    – 18 regular season games with extra bye weeks and even more games not played on Sundays
    – Super Bowl pushed back to President’s Day Weekend
    – Combine in early March
    – Free Agency starts the Tuesday after March Madness (early April)
    – Four day draft smack in the middle of Sweeps Week (May)

I hate, hate, hate this, but this where the NFL is heading. The only we as fans can do to stop the creep into May is to vote with our remotes. I’ll be watching the first round and loosely paying attention to round two while I flip between hockey, baseball & my typical Friday night grill/smoker session. Saturday I will not be watching at all. It is way to nice in May here in the Midwest to waste a weekend day to watch the middle & late rounds. I’ll probably have the draft on the radio while I do yard work.

We can gripe as much as we want. Fraudger and the owners will keep cashing those broadcast checks until we actually stop watching.

172. lionsfan41582 says: Apr 29, 2014 9:31 AM

I hope they realize their mistake. Delaying the draft was one of the dumbest moves they have made. Along with taking big hits out of football. Before we know it we will be watching flag football.

173. bunjy96 says: Apr 29, 2014 12:06 PM

What’s wrong with Mark Cuban?

Watch him 3 times a week on Shark Tank and I think he is excellent.

174. rabgers09us says: Apr 30, 2014 5:28 PM

I have tuned out ESPN and NFL network until the draft. I can’t take the mock drafts anymore and talk about Manziel or any of the others. Could care less about their personal lives or the size of hands they have. Just so sick and tired of hearing about what draft order analysts think players are going in just to change the next day. It is idiotic and really can’t see how anyone can stand it at this point. It’s amusing for a week or so then it’s time to get on with it. I’ll watch the first 10 picks probably then just follow up on how Denver is doing. I would have normally watched the first couple days but it’s going to be hard for me to hold back from puking just watching the first 10 picks.

175. All-American Voltron says: May 1, 2014 2:49 PM

Sorry but my body just shuts down its interest in the NFL by mid-April and doesn’t come back until August. AND I LIKE IT THAT WAY.

What’s that expression? How can we miss you when you never go away?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$