Evan Mathis: I’m not holding out

Philadelphia Eagles v New York Giants Getty Images

In March, we reported that Eagles guard Evan Mathis was given permission by the Eagles to seek a trade this offseason because the team wasn’t willing to give him the new contract that he craved.

That led to some speculation that Mathis would stay away from the team’s voluntary workouts, but he reported this week along with his teammates. On Thursday, he addressed the situation with reporters by saying he wasn’t going to talk about his contract and referencing former Eagle Terrell Owens.

“If I’m going to answer any contract questions I’d prefer to do it from the comfort of my driveway, while I’m doing a Richard Simmons-type workout,” Mathis said, via CSNPhilly.com. “Maybe some sit-ups and some curls or something.”

Mathis, who said he believes he’s the best left guard in the league, also said that he won’t be holding out of any mandatory activities later in the year in hopes of pressing the contract issue further. He added that he won’t let the contract issue become a distraction.

“A distraction? No,” Mathis said. “I mean, I’m not going to let anything distract me from my job, which is to play football. And I can handle anything you guys (reporters) throw at me. So that’s not going to distract me. If you want to keep asking questions, I’m here to answer them. So it doesn’t really bother me, and if people want to keep tweeting to me I’m right there. I’m wide open. I’m easy to get to, so it’s not going to be a distraction.”

After getting the chance to shop himself and finding no takers, Mathis doesn’t have much choice beyond doing his job as well as he’s done it the last few seasons and hoping for a better result in the future. In the meantime, he’ll have to be content with the $5.15 million he’ll make for the 2014 season.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Evan Mathis: I’m not holding out”
  1. nyeagles10 says: Apr 24, 2014 5:44 PM

haha love the personality of the o line so many characters

2. treye2 says: Apr 24, 2014 5:45 PM

Sign of a classy individual in a classy organization.

3. phillychzstk2012 says: Apr 24, 2014 6:20 PM

I can’t fault him at all for asking for more money. He’s nearing the end of his career (age-wise), he’s playing the best football of his life…he was a journeyman for soo long before he broke out with the Eagles. This could be his last chance at breaking the bank (which IMO for a guard he already is)
    That being said I fully trust Evan to play just as hard as he has the past few years and not be any sort of distraction, he’s just not that type of character.

4. bigballzchipkelly says: Apr 24, 2014 6:32 PM

Lol. I love this guy. He.completely gets it. This is what a professional looks like NFL. Jaccpot are you paying attention. Yes, he is the best guard in football and a good teammate. Go Evan.

5. csarneson says: Apr 24, 2014 6:38 PM

Evan is awesome.

While most guys arrive at the stadium in blinged-out cars, giant trucks, or even a tractor, he attended voluntary training today on a little scooter that probably cost $300 new. He’s my hero.

6. imnotsorryisaidthat says: Apr 24, 2014 7:07 PM

no wonder Jackson didn’t fit in

7. goldback20 says: Apr 24, 2014 8:29 PM

Dude, your a top 10 paid guard in the league. Your base is 7th in the league at guard. YOUR 32 yrs old going on 33 and the 2nd best guard on your team behind Herremans. Shut up. Love the witt though. But you play Guard. Stop talking like a left tackle.

8. wooshelius says: Apr 24, 2014 9:11 PM

#TwitterGenius

9. 1phillyphan says: Apr 25, 2014 12:10 AM

Well, being how he is on the wrong side of 30 and being paid VERY fair (translation:..nobody else wanted to trade for him)…the reason he won’t miss mandantorycamps later is that HUGE fine he will get daily..Evan..you’re good but w/o playing in between to Peters ( best LT in the NFL) and Kelce ( the best C in the NFL) you wouldn’t look half as good…the eagles o line is the sum of all parts…not great cuz you play LG…The Eagles could replace you in this years draft playing between those 2 lineman…

10. sumkat says: Apr 27, 2014 2:14 PM

Can’t blame either side. Nothing wrong with Mathis asking for an extension going into the last year of his deal and playing well. Nothing wrong with the Eagles not wanting to do it at his age

Bottom line, he can’t afford to not give it 100%. He’s on the wrong side of 30, and other teams will see him not playing as well, and there goes his chance at a big contract (he’s too old for a “show me” contract, at least one that leads to a long term)

If he plays as well as he did the last few years, I think the Eagles offer him a 2-3 year deal, a little below what he’s making now

11. dfco74 says: May 24, 2014 9:06 AM

Evan Mathis is the best guard in the league the eagles eould be foolish to play around here