Hard Knocks choice coming soon

HardKnocksGetty Getty Images

Eight teams can be tapped on the shoulder and assigned the obligation of appearing on Hard Knocks this year, whether they want to or not.

On Thursday, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said at a meeting of the Associated Press Sports Editors that a decision on a team is coming soon.

“There are several clubs that are interested in doing this,” Goodell said, via Adam L. Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times.  “I just don’t have an update on which club, whether it’s going to be a volunteer or if it’s somebody who is going to have to fulfill the obligation.  But I’m sure that decision will be made pretty soon.”

The Bills, Bears, Cardinals, Giants, Jaguars, Raiders, Rams, and Steelers can each be drafted to accept the assignment under rules that the NFL passed last year.

All others teams fall within one of the three exemptions:  (1) teams that have appeared on Hard Knocks in the last 10 years; (2) teams with new head coaches; and (3) teams that have made the playoffs in either of the last two years.

Goodell acknowledged that he has detected some resistance from teams.

“To be fair yes, sure,” Goodell said. “That’s one of the reasons why we passed the policy that we did is to get every team the opportunity to do this.  We understand that it’s an additional responsibility, that it’s an additional thing to film out around your [training] camp and some clubs prefer not to have it.

“But it’s important for all clubs to contribute to it in some fashion.  I think we designed a very interesting concept that allows teams if you have a coaching change not to have that be an issue, but also have some kind of rotation to it.”

That still may not be enough to get teams to agree to do it.  Cardinals coach Bruce Arians has said that he’d fight an involuntary assignment “tooth and nail,” due in part to his reluctance to publicize the act of firing employees.

“I think when players are released, some of the things that are said between coaches and players are too personal, and nobody else’s business,” Arians has said.

Amen to that.  Of course, broadcasting Hard Knocks without the players getting cut would be like showing auto racing without the wrecks or hockey without the fights.  People want to see the most real aspects of reality TV; keeping the cameras out of such interactions results in a less compelling product.

Still, the cameras should be kept out of such interactions.  Especially since Commissioner Roger Goodell has said he’d like the process of cutting players to become more humane.

Permalink 68 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Buffalo Bills, Chicago Bears, Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, New York Giants, Oakland Raiders, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams
68 Responses to “Hard Knocks choice coming soon”
  1. lennydpocketqb says: Apr 26, 2014 12:38 AM

So the Steelers or the Giants.

2. mantastic54 says: Apr 26, 2014 12:43 AM

I can understand the teams with new coaches, but what is the reasoning behind not making teams that have been to the playoffs in the past two years able to be forced to be on the show?

3. cags777 says: Apr 26, 2014 12:54 AM

If it were up to me, I’d pick the Steelers. Might get Mike Tomlin to lighten up a little around the cameras.

4. 92nick182govikings says: Apr 26, 2014 1:04 AM

Mike Zimmer and the revamped Minnesota Vikings defense!

5. 2debs says: Apr 26, 2014 1:05 AM

Interesting how recent playoff teams can’t do it

6. thestrategyexpert says: Apr 26, 2014 1:10 AM

These teams probably all hate me for saying this but I don’t even think one team is enough. The game is too big and there’s too much to see and we can’t wait 32 years to see 32 teams. I think there should be more, but that’s based purely on the motivation that I want to watch more. The NFL also has a monetary upside so I wish they were more motivated to make the product of professional football more comprehensive and encompassing in grander ways because I can’t get enough and I want to see more football action on and off the field.

Stop holding out on me and give up the stuff I want to watch on TV!

7. mark4steelers says: Apr 26, 2014 1:18 AM

Garbage TV.

8. tampabucks05 says: Apr 26, 2014 1:31 AM

Josh Freeman Tanks Part 3, Episode 1

9. jtbaudendistel says: Apr 26, 2014 1:45 AM

I love that show more than women

10. wyrdawg says: Apr 26, 2014 2:04 AM

Tell it to your Commish, Bruce. You’ll have to call him on his cell as he’s setting up the 2015 Rockettes Extravaganza in Radio City Music Hall for around this time next year.

11. bbking0420 says: Apr 26, 2014 2:07 AM

Bears or Bills are my two favorite teams!!!

12. antneejay2 says: Apr 26, 2014 2:13 AM

” Of course, broadcasting Hard Knocks without the players getting cut would be like showing auto racing without the wrecks or hockey without the fights. People want to see the most real aspects of reality TV; keeping the cameras out of such interactions results in a less compelling product.” -Florio

It’s pain, suffering,violence, death and destruction that the human species finds compelling. Those things don’t pique our interest because they are more real. Watching a walk through may be as boring as heck, but it’s just as real as a player getting cut.

I’m just saying.

13. jamarcusgabbert says: Apr 26, 2014 2:32 AM

Raiders would be perfect. Then again, I wouldn’t watch it.

Go Lions!

14. wadrules1 says: Apr 26, 2014 2:40 AM

Goodell will pick the Steelers knowing that they definitely don’t want to do this.

15. eaglesnoles05 says: Apr 26, 2014 2:46 AM

Roger Goodell is a real piece of work.

16. jaypell says: Apr 26, 2014 3:30 AM

As a steelers fan I want to see them…but not at the cost of a good season from them..so pick the giants…watching Eli’s come back or career falling apart is better t.v…

17. kirburnicus says: Apr 26, 2014 4:55 AM

The team that won the Super Bowl should have to do it every year since a repeat is unlikely.

18. bigredtuna says: Apr 26, 2014 5:00 AM

Goodell says several teams are interested, but he doesn’t know if the choice will be a volunteer or a conscript. What a tool.

19. anthonyromo says: Apr 26, 2014 5:14 AM

I think Hard Knocks is great. It lets you get a chance to see the players under the pads and helmet. I know I learned a lot about Bengal players and rooted for them through the season. I didn’t even need to see the cuts, all the other stuff they show is enough for me.

20. northpackalacky says: Apr 26, 2014 5:20 AM

If it ain’t got Rex Ryan, it ain’t worth watching. This show was entertaining at times during that season, but otherwise it is just plain boring.

21. weismobile says: Apr 26, 2014 5:53 AM

Still not a substitute for real football.

22. i, flounder says: Apr 26, 2014 6:05 AM

forcing belichick to do it would obviously be the most entertaining.

23. moeman79 says: Apr 26, 2014 6:27 AM

Never seen it…reality tv is all staged anyhow

24. countmahdrof says: Apr 26, 2014 6:37 AM

“Obligation” – Who would have thought twenty years ago that an NFL franchise would be obligated to do some silly HBO show that has little to do with football and more to do with trying to manufacture news. Brave new world.

25. okeedokeesmokee says: Apr 26, 2014 6:41 AM

Id like to see Gus Bradley and the Jaguars with all their new players from free agency and their 11 draft picks. Should be a very competitive training camp like GB likes. Plus is personality is beastly!

26. RexCanCoach says: Apr 26, 2014 6:48 AM

All I know is that Goodell can say all he wants blah blah but there is no way on Gods green earth that he or anyone else on Madision ave would ever put the new york giants on hard knocks.

27. foooolerm says: Apr 26, 2014 6:49 AM

Playoff teams are excluded because that is the way Belichek wants it, so stop arguing.

28. amr615 says: Apr 26, 2014 7:09 AM

If the league has to force a team to be on the show, that should be a sign to Goodell that it isn’t a good idea. I suppose, though, that it goes hand-in-hand with a team in London and expanded playoffs.

29. bucnblood says: Apr 26, 2014 7:17 AM

Hard Knocks is great. With that being said I could care less if a bunch of millionaires feel like their privacy is being invaded while they play/coach a game for a living…..deal with it. Last time I checked the NFL is in the business of entertainment so shut up and do your job…..entertain me.

30. kd75 says: Apr 26, 2014 7:27 AM

Watching OchoCinco get cut was compelling TV.

31. crownofthehelmet says: Apr 26, 2014 7:43 AM

This feels like a Raider year.

32. rg3andthensome says: Apr 26, 2014 7:46 AM

JAX IS BEGGING FOR IT, WHILE ALL NFL FANS ARE BEGGING AGAINST THEM

33. greymares says: Apr 26, 2014 7:51 AM

I think it may be the dumbest concept of any TV show yet. It’s not like they don’t know they’re on camera.

34. kev86 says: Apr 26, 2014 8:18 AM

Coughlin respectfully declines.

35. wishingtonredslur says: Apr 26, 2014 8:40 AM

The Giants have a new coach, Ben Mcadoo the OC. Aren’t OC’s coaches?

36. redrew says: Apr 26, 2014 8:41 AM

Hope its the Pats. I will place a strip of sod next to my TV and see which is more interesting…..BB on Hard Knocks or watching grass grow.

37. rajbais says: Apr 26, 2014 8:41 AM

Please not the jets, bengals, or cowboys!

Maybe the Skins, bills, vikings?, or texans.

In a dream world, the colts or saints.

38. dolphins512 says: Apr 26, 2014 8:41 AM

Would like to see the Bills on hard knocks.

I’m a Phins fan, so definitely not a fan of the Bills…..but they have been around a long time and get little to no exposure in the NFL. I think it would be good PR for them and with a potential ownership change and talk of relocation…..it could be a good move to help their excellent fan base get excited about the team in 2014.

39. 700levelvet says: Apr 26, 2014 8:46 AM

Dallas would be good… Everyone loves puppets and the circus…

40. censoredagain says: Apr 26, 2014 8:49 AM

Only a true idiot would think that “reality” TV shows show anything resembling reality. This show, like every other show like it, is designed to draw in people who cant tell when they’re being played like fiddles. Life is not scripted, folks. These shows are. Now you know.

The whole concept of Hard Knocks is a complete joke, and forcing teams to participate against their wishes just goes to show how far Goddell has dragged the NFL down. Anything for the money. Image and integrity mean nothing.

41. clintblairjr says: Apr 26, 2014 8:55 AM

It should be the team that had the worst record at the end of the season. Also wouldnt mind the team with the best record gets 1st rnd pick so teams do not tank the season.

42. steelersfan92105 says: Apr 26, 2014 9:00 AM

I understand why teams don’t want to do it but as a fan I want to see more coverage of my team I think every team should do it for the fans that being said come on mr rooney lets see the steelers

43. birdzflyinhigh says: Apr 26, 2014 9:02 AM

Please not the steelers, that would be painfully boring.

44. sophandros says: Apr 26, 2014 9:11 AM

The playoff clause is probably a motivation/reward for success.

45. laxer37 says: Apr 26, 2014 9:12 AM

Would be surprised if the Steelers are picked. The league admitted to a blown call in week 17 that kept them out of the playoffs and made them eligible for Hard Knocks. Seems like the league would want to work behind the scenes to make sure the embarrassment of their error isn’t revisited.

46. maverickstar says: Apr 26, 2014 9:28 AM

If they wanted to get some eyeballs on it, I would pick the Steelers. I would then say the Raiders just because they are almost a different team from what they were last year.

47. ourempirestrikesback says: Apr 26, 2014 9:40 AM

Arians is right, it’s none of our business, and to argue otherwise is just ignorant. If teams don’t want to be on hard knocks, they shouldn’t have to be.

If you want reality television, watch some of the garbage on other channels. You can see staged drama there, NFL teams shouldn’t have to stoop down to the level of reality television.

48. magicmtndan says: Apr 26, 2014 10:13 AM

Hard knocks should spend this year inside NFL headquarters following the actions of the Wizard of Oz err NF, Roger and his minions as they pull the league’s puppet strings while walking on a tight rope of issues like “player safety,” player punishment (suspensions), “protecting the shield” and the integrity of the game while working to enlarge the size of the pipes carrying all the money to the 32 teams.

Watching the Wizard of Oz err NFL pull levers behind the curtain would be the most compelling TV ever. Which is why it will never happen.

49. therealtrenches says: Apr 26, 2014 10:42 AM

Having any sort of criteria in play to determine who can or cannot qualify for Hard Knocks means that the NFL acknowledges that being on the show may have a negative impact on the featured team.

That said, it seems contradictory to reward playoff teams with a pass; those are the very teams that must draft lower in order to promote parity.

Here are some possible solutions:

– Make the Super Bowl winner be the Hard Knocks team…period, no questions asked.

– Make the Super Bowl runner up the Hard Knocks team.

– assign hard knocks via a random lottery, taking any subjectivity out of the choice.

Any decision needs to be collectively bargained, since it affects all teams.

But the way they do it now, by knocking on doors and hoping someone wants it, is just nonsense.

50. kane337 says: Apr 26, 2014 10:54 AM

If the main gripe is showing the players get cut then just remove that part from the show. I could care less about showing the player getting cut from the coach. I really like all the other stuff: team meetings, practices, and interactions with coaches and players.

51. bassplucker says: Apr 26, 2014 10:58 AM

Of those teams, the Bears, Giants, Raiders and Steelers seem the most viable from a viewership perspective.

I’m a Bears fan but the last thing I want is my team subjected to that circus. So I hope they’re not the pick. The team I’d like to see out of those 4 is the Raiders. But in the final analysis I think the east coast bias as well as the Manning factor will prevail and it will be the G-Men.

52. sfinnj says: Apr 26, 2014 10:59 AM

Anyone who thinks reality TV is reality needs a reality check. Just as someone who would force a team to do this when there are supposedly volunteers needs one too. If there are so many teams interested, why is there a plan in place to force a team to do so?

53. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Apr 26, 2014 11:27 AM

Just make it the last place team in the NFL.

1. They usually have the first draft pick which will be an interesting story line.
    2. As the last place team, they probably could use the additional exposure.
    3. Bringing the cameras in serves as kind of a punishment for stinking the previous year.

54. tominma says: Apr 26, 2014 11:39 AM

More and more, TV is ruling the NFL! I don’t a Commissioner should be able to ORDER a team to appear in a series like “Hard Knocks”. It should be the teams’ choice. I also don’t think that players and coaches should be forced to wear mikes against their wills!

The only way to stop any nonsense in the NFL is to complain to the NFL! This isn’t a life and death issue but it IS BS!

55. koreystringerswidow says: Apr 26, 2014 11:46 AM

Frankly, a few cameras at Viking camp might prevent a lot of problems.

56. ampats says: Apr 26, 2014 12:04 PM

Bad news for those who want to see the Pats on Hard Knocks, Brady & Belichick are going to be around for another 4 + years likely making it 2020 before the Patriots can be eligible for Hard Knocks.

Keep posting and hating, Pats fans love it !

57. thephinatic says: Apr 26, 2014 12:54 PM

Only team I would care to watch is the cardinals or maybe and I mean maybe the giants. Cardinals don’t want to do it though.

58. madroaddog says: Apr 26, 2014 1:09 PM

Goodell has become a dictator and constantly bows to the demands of the ever changing political correctness mantra. He has to much power and is destroying the game. The ultimate decision making process should be left with the owners, a democratic process. A 40 million dollar raise for a misdirected dictator like Goodell means he will be always be compelled to change the game so that he feels good.

59. jaggedmark says: Apr 26, 2014 1:17 PM

I’d wait to announce until after the draft to see if Manziel lands on one of these teams.

60. smackingfools says: Apr 26, 2014 1:27 PM

No team should be forced to be a part of this show if they don’t feel like its beneficial.

61. thevza says: Apr 26, 2014 1:33 PM

How about putting cameras in Roger Goodell’s office and making a reality show about his day-to-day wheelings and dealings? C’mon Roger, got anything to hide?

62. greymares says: Apr 26, 2014 1:42 PM

If you earned the #1 draft pick you also earned Hard Knocks is the way it should play out.

63. johnjackguy says: Apr 26, 2014 1:44 PM

Poll please? I vote Steelers Mike Tomlin pulling back the curtain would be awesome.

64. raiderapologist says: Apr 26, 2014 2:03 PM

——————
    You had to pass a policy to force teams to participate, and you call it an opportunity? That’s some fine lawyering right there.

65. okeedokeesmokee says: Apr 26, 2014 2:17 PM

If Johnny football is drafted by the Jags. I think Him mixed with all the new free agent players and draft picks coached by GB in an open competition training camp will make for an exciting show in my opinion. But the league is full of Jaguar haters and fans of other teams who are stuck on teams everyone is sick of seeing constantly. As a Steeler fan Id rather see a team no one knows much about and on the rise. Khan has made it so apparent that he wants Johnny Manziel with out making it known out loud to the media and public. The fans want Manziel and this would be a good will jesture by the NFL after letting the world use Jax as a butt of NFL jokes.

66. GO FOR TWO SPORTS says: Apr 26, 2014 4:42 PM

SPOILER ALERT:

If you don’t want to see who is this years Hard Knocks DONT READ BELOW!

Jacksonville Jaguars will be on Hard Knocks.
    This is conformed by my brother in law who works with HBO SPORTS (east coast)

67. rextraordinaire says: Apr 27, 2014 5:41 PM

I’ll be Jags, Bears or Steelers in my opinion.

Hard Knock is right up the alley for the kind of exposure that Shahid Khan wan’t for his Jaguars, Bears GM said he took it under consideration both of the last 2 years, and if everyone else says no, the NFL will pick the Steelers because money.

68. theuglitruth says: Apr 29, 2014 5:22 PM

I think the Super Bowl winner should be automatically assigned the next years Hard Knocks. Clearly the fans of the winning team are going to flock to the series so the ratings will be sky high!