Jadeveon Clowney: I work as hard as anybody

Capital One Bowl - Wisconsin v South Carolina Getty Images

Jadeveon Clowney is sick of all the talk about his work ethic, and he wants his future NFL teammates to know that they’re going to see just how hard he works.

“I think I work just as hard as anybody,” Clowney told the Associated Press. “If you pick me and pair me with guys, I’m going to try and outwork them also.”

Clowney would like to stop discussing his work ethic, but he knows that the questions about it won’t go away any time soon.

“I’ve been tired of it, but you have to keep doing it,” he said.

The good news for Clowney is that the pre-draft hype is almost over. In 11 days he’ll be in the NFL, and he’ll have the opportunity to prove those who doubt him wrong.

Permalink 61 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
61 Responses to “Jadeveon Clowney: I work as hard as anybody”
  1. St. Louis City of Champions says: Apr 27, 2014 10:08 AM

So glad the Rams won’t draft this looser! We will get Jake Matthews and Sammy Watkins and win the Super Bowl and Sam bradford will be named SB MVP!!!! #ramsowntheseahawks49ersandredslurs

2. kwjsb says: Apr 27, 2014 10:10 AM

“Jadeveon Clowney: I work as hard as anybody”

I know politicians that say the same thing to bricklayers, and we know that ain’t true

3. cmart0907 says: Apr 27, 2014 10:10 AM

Everyone has a right to their own opinion lmao.

4. nomoreseasontix says: Apr 27, 2014 10:19 AM

Why do I get the feeling that this guy is a Rolando McClain type of “sure thing”?

5. jmsieli says: Apr 27, 2014 10:27 AM

Just keep telling yourself that, remember your the one who said I’m done working out for anymore teams, I’ve never seen so many red flags on a possible #1, the teams who are the most desperate will take the chance, I’m betting on the Falcons?

6. frotoon2 says: Apr 27, 2014 10:27 AM

He also holds out as hard as anybody.

7. bworacle says: Apr 27, 2014 10:30 AM

Maybe in the weight room but not on the football field where it really matters.

8. et2house says: Apr 27, 2014 10:33 AM

If you’re a hard worker, you don’t have to go around telling people, they would already know.

9. skins4me says: Apr 27, 2014 10:34 AM

I’ve watched you play a lot of football. There have been plays where you could have made a difference and just didn’t want to. Taking a play off is one thing, but when your involved in a play and you don’t give it your all is another. As much as your about to be paid you better be ready to fight on every play.

10. plarkin88 says: Apr 27, 2014 10:35 AM

A true #1 pick should be saying he outworks everyone, not that he works as hard as anybody. Hell I’m anybody and I barely do anything. This guy relies on talent not hard work, that’s pretty obvious. We’ll see how hard he works once someone gives him a bunch of money.

11. luz56 says: Apr 27, 2014 10:36 AM

With football people we have two sayings….. Game film don’t lie… or Eye in the sky don’t lie.. Tell me JC who’s lying????

12. realnflmaster says: Apr 27, 2014 10:37 AM

Aaron Curry was a “sure thing” too. These sure things bust all the time when work ethic comes into question.

If the work ethic isn’t there, you won’t produce in this league. It is THAT simple.

13. SAV says: Apr 27, 2014 10:40 AM

Clowney doesn’t have a true passion for the game but I think he likes it enough to make a career out of it. I know Id hate to pick him that high.

Too much Vernon Gholston there for my taste, IN THIS DRAFT. Last years draft I’d take him #1 without batting an eye. This year id go:

1. Jake Matthews (pedigree factor)
    2. Khalil Mack
    3. Sammy Watkins
    4. Mike Evans
    5. Jadeveon Clowney

14. SAV says: Apr 27, 2014 10:40 AM

1. Jake Matthews (pedigree factor)
    2. Khalil Mack
    3. Sammy Watkins
    4. Mike Evans
    5. Jadeveon Clowney

That’s me. I see the love of the game and freakish talents in the first 4. Clowney I see superfreak but questionable motivation and love for the game. The NFL ain’t no joke son! And you ain’t built like no Reggie White! Looking like a Javon Kearse!

15. justwinsomeday says: Apr 27, 2014 10:40 AM

Don’t work as hard as anybody. If you want to be the best out work them all. Call Jerry Rice if you have further questions.

16. hakunamangata says: Apr 27, 2014 10:42 AM

I work as hard as anybody, just not on my technique or craft.

17. jacobslatter says: Apr 27, 2014 10:43 AM

He does work hard at his Predator hairdo.

18. jimmysee says: Apr 27, 2014 10:43 AM

Is he measuring?

Not a good sign.

19. mykpfsu says: Apr 27, 2014 10:43 AM

I don’t think in Madden 25 counts Jadeveon.

20. wtfchiefs says: Apr 27, 2014 10:47 AM

I’m so tired of this. Can we just have the freaking draft already!?

21. nflr92 says: Apr 27, 2014 10:50 AM

Poor man’s Mario Williams

22. 1pwrightt says: Apr 27, 2014 10:50 AM

I hope everyone believes he is lazy and falls to my Cardinals.

23. heeeeelzfan says: Apr 27, 2014 10:57 AM

Clowney doesn’t frequent the weight room at USC. I have a friend closely associated with South Carolina’s program and everyone knew this guy was playing by a different set of rules. Caution: Buyer Beware.

24. billbrasky72 says: Apr 27, 2014 11:11 AM

I think that answer says all. You would have zero chance of getting a job if you say that during your interview. He needs to say that he works HARDER than everyone else.

25. realdealsteel says: Apr 27, 2014 11:21 AM

When your own college coach says that you didn’t work as hard as others, that’s pretty much all I need to know about your work ethic.

26. psly2124 says: Apr 27, 2014 11:21 AM

If anybody is named Jamarcus Russell or Albert Haynesworth. Then maybe

27. paulz624 says: Apr 27, 2014 11:26 AM

Actions speak louder then words and your actions say otherwise.

28. bbwasright says: Apr 27, 2014 11:40 AM

This guy just needs to show teams he can ignore all the stupid news analysis from people who don’t know anything. IF he is lucky, he WILL drop 5-7 spots, losing a million over the first 5 years, but getting onto a much better team where he actually fits their plan (rather than a desperate team just looking to fill one of their many holes with “the best player available.”) In the long term, getting onto a team with a winning culture and a plan to work him in will be better for him anyway. No player should WANT to go first overall (unless it’s a team that trades a lot to move up there).

29. bassplucker says: Apr 27, 2014 11:54 AM

Kinda depressing that Clowney and Manziel are considered the front runners for the #1 pick and I can’t stand either of them. Oh well thankfully my team isn’t drafting high enough for either of them to be a concern.

30. iamdinguskhan says: Apr 27, 2014 12:00 PM

Clowney is a heck of a talent but he will underachieve in the NFL. To be great in the NFL it comes down to work ethic ,drive and mental. Example Russell Wilson he wasn’t a top pick but has all these qualities and now has a Super Bowl ring his second year. The list of great talents who busted is to long to mention. I have a feeling Clowney will be added to that list

31. scw37 says: Apr 27, 2014 12:01 PM

Good luck out working JJ Watt…

32. keeney38 says: Apr 27, 2014 12:04 PM

The fact He has to continually say he works as hard as everyone else probably means he really doesn’t…

33. richardmb52 says: Apr 27, 2014 12:09 PM

Please drop to 14 lol

34. justsomerandomguy24 says: Apr 27, 2014 12:11 PM

It would be REALLY good for Steve Spurrier’s future recruiting ability to have one of his players go #1 overall. Yet Spurrier refuses to give Clowney a strong endorsement. That should be a huge red flag…

35. redfield11 says: Apr 27, 2014 12:13 PM

Just not as often

36. fdugrad says: Apr 27, 2014 12:25 PM

Yeah, especially if “Anybody” is a three-toed SLOTH.

37. themiamidolphins says: Apr 27, 2014 12:38 PM

There are going to be a lot of unhappy people here when Clowney becomes a beast and breaks records his rookie year.

38. bassplucker says: Apr 27, 2014 12:50 PM

People can down him all they want but fact of the matter is that he is not getting past the Falcons. The only question at this point is if it’s gonna happen at their natural spot or if they will trade up so it happens sooner. Unless Clowney commits capital murder in the next 11 days his floor is the #6 pick. I don’t care for the kid personally, but that’s how it is.

39. burtmurphy1 says: Apr 27, 2014 1:02 PM

He will have to work hard to really get his pay day. And he will have to work.

But some of you guys are just haters. He has every bit the potential to be an elite pass rusher, and should be the first overall pick.

The texans aren’t stupid. And somehow pairing Watt with Clowney?

Yeah, good luck, Luck.

Or pass on him and let the Falcons grab him.

40. iamdinguskhan says: Apr 27, 2014 1:16 PM

We aren’t hating we have seen this many many times. Ryan Leaf, Arron Curry,Tim Couch, Tony Mandrich, David Carr, Gholston, Maybin, Heath Shuler, Charles Rogers, Jamarcus Russell, Akil Smith, Darren Russell, Mark Sanchez, Desmond Howard. Should I go on?

41. darthvoter says: Apr 27, 2014 1:20 PM

#Bustwaitingtohappen

42. notthetroll says: Apr 27, 2014 1:32 PM

I hope he does work really hard and becomes a great player no matter who he ends up with. Be nice to see someone with a hole shot to be great follow through.

43. dalcow4 says: Apr 27, 2014 1:36 PM

If you during your life up to this point you worked as hard as anybody…. you wouldn’t have to tell people you work as hard as anybody as the draft approaches.

44. ugadogs21 says: Apr 27, 2014 1:43 PM

Has the physical build and talks like Mandingo.

Plays like Fred Sanford.

45. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Apr 27, 2014 1:56 PM

I’m afraid Clowney misses the point. Everyone else isn’t a first pick in the draft and teams want to know they are investing in a player with above average motor at that point.

46. hyperalgesia says: Apr 27, 2014 2:02 PM

Fwiw, Derrick Thomas didn’t even attend the sports combine. He turned out ok…oh and he ‘walked through’ Friday practices according to Marty S.

Looks like the Texans will have an amazing gameday defense for years to come.

47. iamdinguskhan says: Apr 27, 2014 2:21 PM

Derrick Thomas never took plays off and played his butt off for 60 min. Gameday he was all in. Can you say the same about Clowney? What we got to go by that’s a big No. Walking through practices and how you play on game day are totally different.

48. yesser12 says: Apr 27, 2014 2:37 PM

Robert Nkemdiche > Jadeveon Clowney

49. hehateme1 says: Apr 27, 2014 2:38 PM

I actually laughed when I read the headline.

50. mtrhead269 says: Apr 27, 2014 2:52 PM

The guy averaged 3 tackles a game in college.

51. jmc8888 says: Apr 27, 2014 3:03 PM

So he likes announcing that he is in denial to 32 NFL Front offices a week and a half before the draft?

Smart move there, smart move.

Remember folks, you can be a hard worker, and still not be anywhere close to the Jerry Rice’s work ethic level.

So when you say ‘as hard as anyone’, you better be in that top niche of outworking everyone.

Otherwise, you’re just talking nonsense, and are in denial of what it takes to be a true professional.

His words are so obviously untrue it’s like saying cube is a sphere. Is he really that dumb to think he can pull this over on us?

These last couple of years he’s gotten away with saying no to a lot of stuff that as soon as he’s drafted, he will no longer have an excuse to say no to.

Again, as for work ethic, he’s nowhere close and the fact he doesn’t realize this and will announce it shows he has a lot of growing up to do. Because right now he’s not in reality. Sorry Clowney, you’re not anywhere close to having a true top NFL work ethic.

Maybe in time you will. But what you think is excellent as a college athlete preparing for the NFL, you will find is piss poor in comparison while in the NFL.

52. c297201d says: Apr 27, 2014 3:23 PM

I work just as hard as anybody…when I want to.

53. derekgorgonstar says: Apr 27, 2014 5:07 PM

I always tell me son, “don’t talk about yourself. If you’re good at something, other people will talk for you.”

54. derekgorgonstar says: Apr 27, 2014 5:07 PM

my*

Sounded like Popeye there…..

55. magicmtndan says: Apr 27, 2014 5:28 PM

“I work as hard as anybody,” said a guy named Clowney.

Any questions?

56. luz56 says: Apr 27, 2014 5:29 PM

I’ll add to the hype list of… Tom Cousineau.. Brian Bosworth…Bruce Clark…Demetrius Underwood….

57. overdrawnagain says: Apr 27, 2014 5:41 PM

Who is he trying to convince?

58. thelastwordyaheard says: Apr 27, 2014 6:44 PM

All-Pro for the next dozen or so years.. book it

59. temikenthomas says: Apr 27, 2014 8:37 PM

that’s the problem, Mr. Clowney…

the great ones don’t just work as hard as anyone, they work harder than everyone

60. htowntexan says: Apr 27, 2014 11:23 PM

3 sacks last season. Complete bust in the nfl.

61. clintblairjr says: Apr 28, 2014 8:16 AM

He should of said he works harder than anybody! Then it would at least make you think, “Maybe he is legit?”