Browns expect to sign Vince Young or Tyler Thigpen or both

Vince Young AP

The Browns have a quarterback on the mend, and one on the way.

But they’re trying to decide if they want to keep one or both of the other guys in camp with them this week.

According to Scott Petrak of the Lorain Chronicle-Telegram, the Browns are expected to sign either Vince Young or Tyler Thigpen, or perhaps both, after their tryouts at minicamp this week.

“I would think that we would sign at least one coming out of this camp,” Browns coach Mike Pettine said.

Young was in camp with the Packers last year, but hasn’t been on a regular season roster since 2011.

“The fire is lit always,” Young said. “One thing a lot of people don’t know, I love this game so much.
“I’m just happy to be here and just happy for the opportunity. I’m just going to make the best of it and hopefully I get an opportunity to make the team.”

For Browns wideout Josh Gordon, it was a bit of a star-struck moment, as he grew up in Houston watching the former Texas standout.

“We looked up to him,” Gordon said. “He was one of the best guys out of the city.
“He’s still got it.”

If he really had it, he wouldn’t have been out of work so long, with the scarcity of NFL quarterbacks.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
42 Responses to “Browns expect to sign Vince Young or Tyler Thigpen or both”
  1. explosionsauce says: Apr 30, 2014 10:53 AM

Something tells me the author doesn’t care for Vince Young….

2. r8rsfan says: Apr 30, 2014 10:57 AM

Always liked VY, hope he proves ‘em all wrong and makes it in C-town. He was magic in the national championship game.

3. mortyglickstein says: Apr 30, 2014 10:58 AM

Giants fan here, I remember him coming in for Vick in Philly and throwing for over 400 yds his first time off the bench.

What did Vince young do so terrible on the FIELD that he has a bad rap for a back up?

4. brownsdawg1984 says: Apr 30, 2014 11:02 AM

With Hoyer coming off an injury the Browns just needed bodies to throw at camp. So if he can still throw, he still has enough to fit they’re needs. Anything more is a bonus

5. kosarkid says: Apr 30, 2014 11:04 AM

Vince Young is a better back up than Weeden. Everytime Weeden came into the game it just sucked the life out of the stadium.

6. captainwisdom8888 says: Apr 30, 2014 11:05 AM

I find it absolutely appalling that the words “dream” and “team” are nowhere to be found in this article. What a pure abomination this is…

7. tennesseeoilers says: Apr 30, 2014 11:16 AM

This might sound trivial to some, but I think one of the more promising signs from Vince Young is that he ditched Twitter a few months back. His tweets only served to reinforce his bad reputation in NFL circles. Doing interviews about how you’re a changed, mature man now and then the next minute retweeting things like “I know what Jeff Fisher did to you” and “Fire Matt Schaub. Hire Vince Young” is just … well, telling. Hopefully, it’s also telling that he finally saw the need to avoid Twitter.

8. jackburton77 says: Apr 30, 2014 11:20 AM

You take VY there

9. rcali says: Apr 30, 2014 11:21 AM

I think what Josh Gordon meant to say was “Dream Team!”

10. trollhammer20 says: Apr 30, 2014 11:24 AM

Last time I saw Young on the field, he was throwing 2-3 interceptions in the second half of a preseason game for the Bills.

The mustard has been off of this particular hot dog for quite some time. Yes, he was brilliant in the national championship game sometime in the last decade. Then again, Matt Leinart played well enough to have his team in that game, too. Go figure.

11. doctorrustbelt says: Apr 30, 2014 11:24 AM

Akili Quinn is a BUST.

12. thegrigga49 says: Apr 30, 2014 11:26 AM

I hope they sign Vince. He deserves a role on some NFL team. I think we all know what Thigpens ceiling is. Vince Still has a winning record as a starter.

13. granadafan says: Apr 30, 2014 11:34 AM

You don’t appreciate something until it’s been taken away from you due to your own incompetence, laziness, lack of motivation, etc. Does Vince really miss the game or the paycheck? My guess is the latter with a smidgeon of the former.

14. ragnarthemagnificent says: Apr 30, 2014 11:34 AM

Someone has to give Vince a chance, he’s probably past the immature phase in Tennessee. Give the guy a chance!

15. gromit45 says: Apr 30, 2014 11:41 AM

I’m at the point with VY now that I hope he does get a legitimate second chance to make the most of it. It *sounds* like he’s cleared a lot of head demons. Now he just has to prove if he has the talent to play at the NFL level.

16. getyourownname says: Apr 30, 2014 11:42 AM

We heard the same comments from Rolando McLain a few weeks ago.

Too often, guys who tell you how much they want something never seem to actually want it, or to be able to do it.

17. rovadawg says: Apr 30, 2014 11:48 AM

I would like to see a Young signing. At this point he should be happy with the Veteran Minimum and likely could be cut prior to the season with no cap consequences. If that is the case, it is all reward and no risk.

I also like it because it signals the Browns are less likely to go for a QB at #4 overall or trade for Cousins. Having a capable, veteran backup to Hoyer at the beginning of the season would make it easier for someone like Murray or one of the other “second teir” to sit on the bench for a year or two and maybe blossom if the Hoyer experiment fails.

18. nickinneohio says: Apr 30, 2014 11:49 AM

Agree with above. Some of these athletes have been entitled their whole lives. Heres hoping VY has grown up realizing that. The talent is there. His problem has been the 5 1/2 inches between his ears.

19. dchetz says: Apr 30, 2014 11:56 AM

Since they’re stocking up on former Bills QB’s, why not go for Trent Edwards as well? (I also hear JP Losman is available too)

20. justintuckrule says: Apr 30, 2014 11:59 AM

Americans love themselves a redemption story. Look at all the 180s. Not long ago, people were chastising him for spending whatever it was on his b-day party.

I’m willing to bet the same posters are out in full force in 4 years rooting on JaMarcus Russell’s comeback story.

21. mogogo1 says: Apr 30, 2014 12:04 PM

Gotta say it mystifies me how some guys get branded as untouchable despite having had on-field success while other guys never play well but somehow always seems to get a job someplace.

22. catquick says: Apr 30, 2014 12:06 PM

They better draft a QB

23. tformation says: Apr 30, 2014 12:16 PM

I’m not a Browns fan, but, man, it’s hard not to root for VY. Seeing a guy fighting & clawing his way back into the league is admirable. Hope you’ve got you’re head on straight, Vince. Best of luck to you in Cleveland.

24. steelerdeathstar says: Apr 30, 2014 12:26 PM

Vince Young has likely matured a bit from his earlier years in the league. For certain, he’s had to eat some humble pie.
    Assuming he has his head on straight these days, he would quite possibly make a solid backup for the Browns.
    Tyler Thigpen has some talent as well, but he has to be in the right system to be able to use it pretty effectively. Don’t know if the Browns plan to run that type of offense…
    In any case, Hoyer is almost certainly their starter, and they’ll probably use their 2nd pick in the 1st round, or their high 2nd rounder on a QB.

25. losangelesbillsofbuffalo says: Apr 30, 2014 12:29 PM

Buffalo Bills 2012 Preseason Roster:

QB:

1)Ryan Fitzpatrick, journeyman backup
    2)Tyler Thigpen
    3)Vince Young

26. walkinginthewasteland says: Apr 30, 2014 12:32 PM

thegrigga49 says: Apr 30, 2014 11:26 AM

________

Waterboys league wide tremble at the thought that VY might replace them.

27. kj777 says: Apr 30, 2014 12:34 PM

I still think they should give Tebow a look…they have nothing to lose.

28. nomoreseasontix says: Apr 30, 2014 12:42 PM

Young may have matured some, but the fact is, he’s as dumb as a sack of hair. That’s not going to change.
    His inability to learn more than the simplest plays from an NFL playbook is his downfall. Not his athletic ability.
    A quarterback has to be able to completely understand the entire offense.
    Not just the easy parts….

29. brownsalwaysrebuilding says: Apr 30, 2014 12:47 PM

VY was always a winner but when things got tough for him he couldn’t handle the frustration and his attitude got the best of him.

He can still play. I hope my Brownies sign him and give him a chance to compete with Hoyer and whoever they draft.

30. nite2al says: Apr 30, 2014 12:51 PM

Somewhere Matt Flynn is laughing.

31. jeffreyshulenburg says: Apr 30, 2014 1:19 PM

As a Bills fan, I can tell you that the best part of Tyler Thigpens time in Buffalo is the GIF of him getting hit in the face by a football while warming up for an injured Fitzpatrick…I had never been so relieved to see Ryan Fitzpatrick run back onto the field.

32. cptbuff says: Apr 30, 2014 1:21 PM

Anyone who picks up Buffalo rejects as fast as the Browns are doing is on track for a Super Bowl.

33. sbchampsagain says: Apr 30, 2014 1:21 PM

VY can still play NFL football.
    At least for the Browns.

34. Matt dog from C-town says: Apr 30, 2014 1:25 PM

If he’s in shape and serious…give a chance as a backup or 3rd QB

35. jpaq68 says: Apr 30, 2014 1:48 PM

Has Cleveland now replaced Buffalo as the place where NFL careers go to die?

36. arcross12042004scorp15 says: Apr 30, 2014 2:16 PM

Being a Buffalo fan, I would have to say rummaging through our dumpster is probably not the best way to find a QB. Just sayin

37. nicknasti says: Apr 30, 2014 3:49 PM

No thanks. I’m not willing to take a chance on him being reformed.

38. djshnooks says: Apr 30, 2014 4:06 PM

Disclaimer: I understand every one of these guys are talented. They obviously made the NFL as a QB for a reason.

I’m just saying he is not who you want to go and get excited about having as a QB.

I’d more excited about Alex Tanney…although he couldn’t cut it in Buffalo either, he still can do trick shots! ;-)

39. hockeygod1 says: Apr 30, 2014 8:02 PM

Vince Young is terrible and needs to just retire and do us all a favor and fall away.

40. matthewmacisaac says: Apr 30, 2014 8:29 PM

I say don’t bother with these washed up guys. Give some young guys a chance. You never know when you’ll find the next Kurt Warner. Vince Young hasn’t done anything of note in a while, so let him keep walking, & Tyler Thigpen has never done anything to deserve a call. Don’t waste time or a roster spot with these two.

41. oldcracker says: Apr 30, 2014 10:45 PM

I hear T.O. is still available. He could probably outplay about half of the WR’s out there. Now, if they could just tape his mouth shut.

Just imagine, VY tossing to Josh Gordon and TO having a temper-tantrum on the sidelines.

42. jhoutz says: May 1, 2014 6:13 AM

Let’s see…. One of the most important positions on the field and once again Cleveland shows some head scratching choices. I know there is no Andrew Luck in this years draft, but Vince Young? What evidence do we have that says when in a game situation and not in shorts at practice, he will not revert to what we have witnessed over the last 8-10 years? The national championship was a long time ago and was a college game. I will be hopeful….but nervous.