Dansby fires back at Dockett

Dansby Getty Images

Cardinals defensive lineman Darnell Dockett recently took issue with linebacker Karlos Dansby’s decision to sign with the Browns as a free agent, claiming that Dansby chased the money.

He chased the money,” Dockett said.  “I’ve got a lot of respect for our guy that left, I love him like a brother.  But we were one or two pieces away from really making a lot of noise. . . .  I personally feel like he chased the money versus chasing a ring.  No knock towards Cleveland — I don’t want people to try to think I’m saying Cleveland doesn’t have a chance; everybody has a chance — but I just felt like it was made for him to be here.”

On Wednesday, Dansby responded.

Via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Danbsy said Dockett’s comments revealed much about Dockett’s faith in his remaining teammates.

I feel he doesn’t believe in the guys in his locker room,” Dansby said.

As to the idea that Dansby chased the cash, he said of Dockett, “I can’t stoop to his level and go down that road with him.”

There’s no low road on this, however.  Dansby got paid.  So what’s wrong with that?  Guys should get paid, as much as they can when they can.

While it’s great to be a contender, there are way too many variables on the road to the Super Bowl.  There’s only one variable on the road to the bank:  How much is being deposited?

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
29 Responses to “Dansby fires back at Dockett”
  1. turkjones says: Apr 30, 2014 2:19 PM

Are the Cards really in THAT much better of a situation than the Browns? Especially considering all of the ammo the Browns have this draft.

2. beardinals says: Apr 30, 2014 2:20 PM

Can’t fault Dansby and Dockett knows he’ll be in the same spot soon.

3. dsonashville28 says: Apr 30, 2014 2:21 PM

Since Dansby is closer to the end of his career rather than the beginning, I can’t fault him if he did chase the cash. Get all you can before retiring. Who knows if he’ll have any health problems later on.

4. u2madbro says: Apr 30, 2014 2:25 PM

Docket loves the attention.

5. 12444uggg says: Apr 30, 2014 2:26 PM

The Cards would be a more legit threat if they weren’t in the NFC West. Awesome division. And The Rams aren’t bad either.

6. Remember Brian Brohm says: Apr 30, 2014 2:28 PM

Since when is playing in Arizona a ticket to the Super Bowl?

7. officialmiamidolphinsspokesperson says: Apr 30, 2014 2:29 PM

Doesnt even sound like Dockett was firing shots. he sounded more like someone who misses playing with his brother

8. thepftpoet says: Apr 30, 2014 2:30 PM

Two medicore players fighting about two medicre franchises.

Laughable.

9. timmylaz99 says: Apr 30, 2014 2:31 PM

Of course Dansby chased the dollars – Draft choices or not, it’s still Cleveland!

10. explosionsauce says: Apr 30, 2014 2:37 PM

Dockett is surely bitter.

11. osiris33 says: Apr 30, 2014 2:44 PM

Note to Dockett; the Cardinals are not contenders. 10-6 was a fluke

12. filmex2000 says: Apr 30, 2014 3:05 PM

Dockett was spot on. And he has some history on his side. Dansby chased the money after the Cards’ Superbowl run, went to Miami, and was never heard from again…until he rejoined the Cards.

13. cguy7 says: Apr 30, 2014 3:11 PM

Arizona needs a QB before they have a chance to win that Division, or hope for playoff expansion. QB,RT,RG, and four linebackers who don’t beat up women.

14. timsizzle83 says: Apr 30, 2014 3:17 PM

2 pro bowl caliber players arguing about their livelihoods, understandable. Dansby is a HOF’r buddy.

15. timsizzle83 says: Apr 30, 2014 3:19 PM

Seem to recall 2 120+ tackles seasons for ole los down there in Miami. Dude it’s a tackling machine wherever he is.

16. cards4lyf says: Apr 30, 2014 3:19 PM

I’m sure their rankings and D were both a fluke too last year!

17. irlfannphx says: Apr 30, 2014 3:44 PM

The FACT is that Dansby’s got a better chance of seeing GOD than he’s got of seeing the end of that contract. In 2 years MAX they’re gonna release him. Maybe even at the END of THIS year. But Dansby chased the 4 year contract in which the Cards offered him the EXACT SAME AMOUNT of “guaranteed money” that Cleveland offered over 2 years. Dansby’s ALWAYS been about the money. He made that known in 2011 when he left for Miami. I myself am GLAD he’s gone! We need to find out exactly what we have in Minter. If he’s not it we need to get one next year! But I just can’t see giving a LB the kind of money he’s getting. The only one I’d pay that much is James Lauranitis. But definitely not one as old as Dansby!

18. seahawkfanfrom1970s says: Apr 30, 2014 3:51 PM

Cardinals are loaded with great defensive players. I’m a Seahawk fan and I don’t like the Cardinals but I respect them. As far as them being a “mediocre” franchise, that would STILL make them better than that barrel of laughs the Vikings.

19. Matt dog from C-town says: Apr 30, 2014 4:00 PM

Do the Cards play the Browns this year?

20. kamthechancellor says: Apr 30, 2014 4:10 PM

Palmer is not Kurt Warner. Cards aren’t going anywhere until they get a playmaker under center.

21. misterdu1 says: Apr 30, 2014 5:04 PM

It seems as though so many (probably right coasters) have no idea how good the Cardinals were last year. The played The Seahawks (beat them in Seattle) and the 49’ers even and once they understood the playbook ended up 10 – 6 under a new coach. Cards lost their 1st round pick to a season ending injury so this year we have 2! This wasn’t a mediocre team last year with everything new to the team. Cards live in a conference with 4 of the best teams in the NFL and whoever wins it will go on to win the super bowl AGAIN! There losses are to each other! So Dansbyebye chased the money and misses out on a S.B. He always chases the money and Mr. D was spot on with his call.

22. djjackson81 says: Apr 30, 2014 5:08 PM

Bottom line Dansby plays maybe 2 seasons in Cleveland and cap cut. When we look back he would have got the same $ in AZ for the same years 2. Not to mention the gratitude for ending your carrer where u started. dD will be in the same boat next offseason when Keim is asking him to take a pay cut or he is on another team.

23. djjackson81 says: Apr 30, 2014 5:09 PM

Bottom line Dansby plays maybe 2 seasons in Cleveland and cap cut. When we look back he would have got the same $ in AZ for the same years 2. Not to mention the gratitude for ending your carrer where u started. DD will be in the same boat next offseason when Keim is asking him to take a pay cut or he is on another team.

24. theuglitruth says: Apr 30, 2014 5:40 PM

Yep, the Cardinals are loaded with talent…if you don’t know you better check your knowledge! Their #LEGIT!

25. jdphx says: Apr 30, 2014 6:48 PM

And Dockett, already making excuses for HIS team….

“But we were one or two pieces away from really making a lot of noise”

Implying they are now FURTHER from winning.

26. jamprince2 says: Apr 30, 2014 8:52 PM

Karma kills . Twice in a career that’s all wrong Dansby . All Cardinal fans got love for you and respect you as well as your teammates but, he so unpredictable and nerve-wracking . Your a great player but it seemed he wanted to re-sign more than Cardinals had interest . Shoulda asked for a match as browns offer if he wanted too re-sign .

27. luz56 says: Apr 30, 2014 10:34 PM

Dansby is NOT a HOFer….. Not even close

28. xsixgun65 says: May 1, 2014 4:29 AM

I like the people I work with and I like the company I work for but, if another company offered me more money to come work for them, knowing I could only probably physically work a few more years, I would leave in a heart beat.
    NFL= Not For Long. Get all you can while you can.

29. misterdu1 says: May 1, 2014 2:55 PM

I like my peeps too but given the chance to get a ring? Please! He had a chance in Arizona and no chance now. The good news for him is that he wont have to play in the NFC West! After his losing season he can watch the cards on TV!