Jameis Winston blames “youthful ignorance” for “terrible mistake”

Jimbo Fisher,. Jameis Winston AP

Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston, who was suspended from the Seminoles’ baseball team after he was cited for shoplifting seafood at a grocery store, has released a statement on the matter.

“As reported in the news, last night I received an adult civil citation for petit theft from a local supermarket,” Winston said. “I went to the supermarket with the intent to purchase dinner but made a terrible mistake for which I’m taking full responsibility. In a moment of youthful ignorance, I walked out of the store without paying for one of my items.”

This isn’t the first time Winston has raised eyebrows with his off-field conduct, and he acknowledges that’s a problem.

“I realize that I am in the public spotlight and my conduct needs to be above reproach,” Winston said. “Over the last year I’ve learned that my accomplishments on the fields can be a wonderful thing for my school, teammates, friends, and family. At the same time, I must realize that my mistakes are magnified and can bring great embarrassment to all those who support me every day. I make no excuses for my actions and will learn and grow from this unfortunate situation. I hope and pray my friends and family will view me as the 20-year-old young man that I am, and support me through this unfortunate situation.”

Winston may be a “20-year-old young man,” but that’s old enough to know you can’t just walk out of a store without paying for the merchandise you take. Winston is a supremely talented quarterback, but his off-field act is wearing thin.

Permalink 65 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
65 Responses to “Jameis Winston blames “youthful ignorance” for “terrible mistake””
  1. Remember Brian Brohm says: Apr 30, 2014 3:53 PM

Youthful ignorance? How old do you have to be to know that you shouldn’t steal stuff?

2. Remember Brian Brohm says: Apr 30, 2014 3:54 PM

In other words, “please overlook my bad character because I’m also stupid.”

3. snoqualmkanem says: Apr 30, 2014 3:54 PM

The only reason he is sorry is because he was caught.
    Now he is making excuses.
    Youthful ignorance…. bull-ony.

4. 10kmp says: Apr 30, 2014 3:54 PM

He’s an idiot. Got the world by the tail and he insists on screwing it up. Already sick and tired of this joker…

5. ravensfaninflorida says: Apr 30, 2014 3:55 PM

Sorry buddy. The ignorance is thinking that your notoriety is above the law.

6. cakemixa says: Apr 30, 2014 3:56 PM

Yeah, that wasn’t written by a PR person at all. His own words!

7. olcap says: Apr 30, 2014 3:57 PM

Doesn’t one have to be older and wiser to even be able to recognize “youthful ignorance”?

Youthful mischief from a so-far inconsiderate person. That’s more like it.

8. channer81 says: Apr 30, 2014 3:58 PM

And then he was also caught with Old Bay and two sticks of butter, along with garlic salt. Why do I have the feeling the evidence will be gone this time tomorrow.

9. greej1938l says: Apr 30, 2014 3:58 PM

Seafood….lol

10. purpleguy says: Apr 30, 2014 3:58 PM

All this smoke indicates a pretty darn big fire somewhere.

11. kamthechancellor says: Apr 30, 2014 4:00 PM

Really Jameis? Come on, man. Character counts in the NFL when it comes to quarterback. Look at Rothlisberger, Kaepernick, RGIII…er, my bad.

12. zoellner25 says: Apr 30, 2014 4:01 PM

Are we ever going to read or hear a statement from an athlete that is not pre-written by an attorney? Who uses the term “youthful ignorance”? He’s stupid and that works for me.

13. ravensrooster94 says: Apr 30, 2014 4:01 PM

4th round.

14. mikejune says: Apr 30, 2014 4:01 PM

You would think that “youthful ignorance” would have been tempered by nearly getting indicted for rape.

15. tigers182 says: Apr 30, 2014 4:02 PM

At what age are you required to know stealing is bad?

16. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: Apr 30, 2014 4:03 PM

I stole some Rolo’s from Lucky Supermarket when I was 5. My mom whipped me on the fanny with my Hot Wheels track. Haven’t stolen anything since

17. thegreatgabbert says: Apr 30, 2014 4:03 PM

Shameless Jameis.

18. bradycheats says: Apr 30, 2014 4:04 PM

At least he didn’t rape anyone this time….allegedly

19. psmith7716 says: Apr 30, 2014 4:07 PM

This guy better grow up and act like a responsible man, or he will see his glorious future fade into the limelight. What a shame and pity that would be.

20. Matt dog from C-town says: Apr 30, 2014 4:07 PM

I remember being that age and doing crazy stuff like that and looking back it wasn’t a big deal…but when you couple it with the rape allegations it makes it look alot worse…

21. cguy7 says: Apr 30, 2014 4:07 PM

Youthful enough to be tried as an adult in any State. Ignorant enough to think he could get away with it, and ignorant enough to think anybody with common sense buys that lame excuse…

22. seaeagle707 says: Apr 30, 2014 4:09 PM

For all of its braggadocio about it being a “business”, the NFL doesn’t set its standards very high. If it did, consistently, young men such as Winston, would be keeping their noses clean at an earlier age and wouldn’t be attempting to “get over on” those who run the draft process. But with all of the criminal behaviors exhibited by pro players today, that are seemingly swept under the carpet by the league, guys like Winston are still acting like punks, even as their draft nears. They simply have no incentive to do otherwise.

23. slick50ks says: Apr 30, 2014 4:10 PM

He’s already auditioning for the raiders.

24. cowpiesnotcowboys says: Apr 30, 2014 4:10 PM

“I forgot theft was illegal.”

25. BigAlHeBDMan says: Apr 30, 2014 4:10 PM

“I realize that I am in the public spotlight and my conduct needs to be above reproach so that my draft stock doesn’t fall causing me and My agent to lose millions of $$$ due to character issues,” Winston said.

26. larrydavid7000 says: Apr 30, 2014 4:15 PM

My Bad. and FSU = FREE SEAFOOD UNIVERSITY.

27. joemammy says: Apr 30, 2014 4:22 PM

Mistake, my ass. A mistake is turning left, when you meant to turn right.

Stealing isn’t a mistake. It’s a criminal act…like rape.

28. djshnooks says: Apr 30, 2014 4:23 PM

He’ll still be the best QB to come out in the past 3 years, come June 2015.

He would have gone #1 last year, this year and he will go #1 next year.

29. tennesseeoilers says: Apr 30, 2014 4:24 PM

I don’t want him on my team! And Lord knows the Titans could seriously use his kind of talent.

30. longcutskolvikes says: Apr 30, 2014 4:26 PM

This dude is a total chooch.

31. schmitty2 says: Apr 30, 2014 4:27 PM

From a rapsheet prospective he is already a pro player.

32. you know who says: Apr 30, 2014 4:27 PM

shabazz was right.

33. defscottyb says: Apr 30, 2014 4:29 PM

His lawyer didn’t write that statement… Nah…

34. patsfan says: Apr 30, 2014 4:30 PM

To his credit, he has a good pubicist and doesn’t go off script. If he keeps reading his apologies just the way they are writtnd for him, he can go a long way in the NFL.

35. Scott McCollum says: Apr 30, 2014 4:32 PM

“I walked out of the store without paying for one of my items.”

Sounds like he is insinuating that he had other items and paid for those but not crab legs which in my mind is him acting as if it were a simple mistake instead of him taking full responsibility as he claims to be doing.

I would like to know if he had the money on him to pay for the crab legs and if he did in fact pay for some other items but not the crab legs.

36. Chris says: Apr 30, 2014 4:38 PM

The guy just likes his crabs.

37. tigersfandan says: Apr 30, 2014 4:43 PM

As someone who was born the exact same day as Jameis Winston, I could almost be offended by his statement as it basically insinuates that people our age don’t know that stealing is wrong.

38. chargrz says: Apr 30, 2014 4:48 PM

His lawyer writes his apology so everything is chill.No problem. Now that he has been suspended temporarily from the baseball team it gives him more study time for his classes.

39. uglydingo says: Apr 30, 2014 4:49 PM

He may have made an honest mistake. Tallahassee CSI are on the crustacean case and are set to make an arrest. The media is trying to whip it up.
    4 months ago he was the nation’s hero, today he is portrayed as a sinister criminal because he made a mistake and forgot to pay for the crab and when it was raised, he paid. Jameis needs a session with Bobby Bowden to help him become a better citizen and learn from his dumb mistakes.

40. thisdamnbox says: Apr 30, 2014 4:51 PM

Come on, everybody! If the NCAA would just give these athletes a decent wage after earnjng the schools billions poor players like Winston could afford a nice seafood dinner!!!

//sarcasm

41. realfootballfan says: Apr 30, 2014 4:57 PM

As much as I criticized him earlier in the day when this first broke, you might want to add some context to the story as it seems to have been more of a mistake than anything from all accounts. He walked out the door with a cop in front of him as he went out with it for Christ sake and apparently frequents this very Publix and a Winn-Dixie also near campus as well buying this same item frequently. But don’t let me get in the way of everyone getting up on the soapbox instead of finding out what actually happened.

42. bearfan34 says: Apr 30, 2014 5:02 PM

I have the perfect solution: Have Peter Warrick come back and take him for a shopping trip to Dillard’s. Makes sense to me.

43. vicksprman says: Apr 30, 2014 5:02 PM

Love the holier than thou set on here, I have seen adults get seafood or fish put them in their shopping cart pay for other items and walk out thinking they were paid for. If this knucklehead went in and just ordered crawfish and crab legs and walked out without purchasing anything else nor have any money then this apology is just more hogwash. But please stop acting like 20 year olds regardless of their circumstances do everything the right way 100 percent of the time.

44. thegreatgabbert says: Apr 30, 2014 5:03 PM

He can add this to his list of citations –

Heisman Trophy winner
    SEC Offensive Player of the Year winner
    First Team All American
    Theft Under $50….

45. thegreatgabbert says: Apr 30, 2014 5:05 PM

After Jameis was sighted leaving the store with crab legs under his shirt, he was cited with leaving the store with crab legs under his shirt.

46. nyctraffic says: Apr 30, 2014 5:11 PM

At least the Browns will have another high-character prospect to consider next year when they pass on Manziel.

47. uglydingo says: Apr 30, 2014 5:20 PM

Damn that crab is expensive. $30 for crab legs. Tarnishing character – priceless.

48. posmoo says: Apr 30, 2014 5:28 PM

Odds he wrote that statement? I’ll give you +15000.

49. canuckinamerica says: Apr 30, 2014 5:29 PM

This statement sounds like he wrote it himself.

50. muddert44 says: Apr 30, 2014 6:08 PM

Free Shoes University to be renamed Free Seafood University

51. melikefootball says: Apr 30, 2014 6:24 PM

When are the colleges going to step up and make these people grow up, kick them out of school. They all have tons of excuses when they get caught and ALWAYS blame it on anything but themselves.

52. Ferdinand says: Apr 30, 2014 6:27 PM

“Youthful ignorance”????

Most us don’t make it out of pre-school without having ‘taking something that doesn’t belong to you’ drilled into our heads.

Is he saying he’s less mature than the average 4-year-old?

53. terumiarai says: Apr 30, 2014 6:30 PM

“Above reproach”…that line is getting old. Get a better script writer.

54. patriotsarespygaters says: Apr 30, 2014 6:45 PM

At least he didn’t get caught stealing signals

55. uscoach says: Apr 30, 2014 7:35 PM

What a moron. How can he not be a bust?

56. posmoo says: Apr 30, 2014 7:42 PM

He keeps using the word unfortunate, like he got hit by a meteorite or something. Lucky had nothing to do with this.

You don’t just trip while walking in a Publix, fall on a big bag of frozen king crab legs that stick to your palm and then accidentally fall out the front door.

57. vwbrown19 says: Apr 30, 2014 7:54 PM

He’s 20 not 10 too old to use that one.

58. 92nick182govikings says: Apr 30, 2014 9:03 PM

I still would love for my Vikings to get this guy. Especially if the vikes get stuck with another ponder-cassel go around. And its looking more and more like the Vikings will not get a star qb this year. Wait for Winston vikes!

59. barneyrumble says: Apr 30, 2014 9:16 PM

Gets away with one thing and thinks he can get away with everything. There will be more stories of “youthful ignorance” until eventually he finally learns the hard way.

60. hmannnn says: Apr 30, 2014 9:31 PM

Youthful ignorance huh? He is a fully grown man! I may buy that if he were 6 or 7 years old!

61. nomoreseasontix says: Apr 30, 2014 10:05 PM

The kid is clearly an idiot.
    He should stick with baseball.

62. higheriqthanyou says: Apr 30, 2014 10:30 PM

I was his age once, never got popped for shoplifting.

63. jpaq68 says: Apr 30, 2014 11:20 PM

Leon County officials looked the other way when this guy was accused of rape. Does anyone think they’ll do anything about some pilfered seafood?

64. ninjapleazee says: May 1, 2014 7:47 AM

How does one hide crab legs

65. robdolphins says: May 1, 2014 1:38 PM

On the bright side, guess he is not getting $$$ from agents or boosters.