Jason Witten: Tony Romo throwing with the same zip

Jason Witten, Tony Romo AP

Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo has been present for the team’s offseason workouts and one of his longtime targets has seen no change in Romo’s throws as a result of last December’s back surgery.

Tight end Jason Witten has caught a lot of passes from Romo and says that the ones he’s caught this spring have “the same zip, same as always.” Witten said it is a nice change from what Romo was able to do last offseason following surgery to remove a cyst from his back.

“You didn’t see him do much last year. I don’t know if it’s because [the surgery] happened later or what. But he’s been running and working out with us and doing the normal stuff,” Witten said, via the Dallas Morning News. “I think he is excited and I know he is embracing this challenge of people watching and thinking, ‘Is he going to be able to come back from this?’ I think just the will that guy has – it’s at the top of the list of the players I’ve seen. Like I said, we know what people are going to say. But I think for us and for him it’s just go out there and get better and kind of perfect that craft so when you get to the chance, you take advantage of those opportunities. He looks good.”

There’s been a lot of talk this offseason about the Cowboys adding a quarterback to the depth chart in the draft, something that would make sense even if the 34-year-old wasn’t coming off his second back surgery in as many years. Based on Witten’s review, though, any addition will remain a developmental prospect for the immediate future because Romo is on track for camp and the 2014 season.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Jason Witten: Tony Romo throwing with the same zip”
  1. fxg0201 says: Apr 30, 2014 7:57 AM

The only hope for the Cowboys is to see Jerry Jones channel his inner Donald Sterling, so he can be forced out.

2. gavriloprincip33 says: Apr 30, 2014 7:59 AM

Yes, but the real question is whether Romo will continue to target opposition corners and safeties in the 4th quarter…

3. bullcharger says: Apr 30, 2014 8:06 AM

Witten is the ultimate Romo promoter.

4. djbleedthestar says: Apr 30, 2014 8:32 AM

Romo! The most hated quarterback in the league who has done nothing to anyone nor has he ever been in trouble with the law. :) hate on everyone!

5. elliottcovert says: Apr 30, 2014 8:33 AM

That zip should really help him put some spin on those crucial 4th quarter interceptions.

6. qdog112 says: Apr 30, 2014 8:55 AM

The Romo/Witten marriage has won nothing and never will. T.O. was right. Romo is the face of a joke of a franchise that accepts mediocrity as OK.

Jerry’s World need only draft Johnny Wildcat to complete the 3 ring circus.

7. crubenst says: Apr 30, 2014 9:31 AM

Talk to me after he gets his back “adjusted” by 300 lbs moving at a high rate of speed.

8. skoldier612 says: Apr 30, 2014 9:51 AM

“Tony Romo throwing with the same zip [to opponents, when it counts most]“

9. dkalev says: Apr 30, 2014 11:08 AM

As a giants fan, I gotta say I actually like romo, and not because he chokes (which he does)… He’s actually a really good quarterback that sucks in crunch time, like a poor mans Peyton manning… Toss in the fact that he was an Undrafted fa and says the all the right things, I don’t understand how anyone can hate this guy… The only ill will I ever wish him is on two Sundays in the season 😉

10. competitivecompetitioncompeter says: Apr 30, 2014 12:24 PM

Consider the source, Witten has slowed down noticeably himself the last few years.

11. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Apr 30, 2014 1:37 PM

Good to hear but the real question is how Romo’s back holds up after a few hits during a game? Only time will tell us that.