Trent Richardson AP

Whenever the subject of Trent Richardson’s struggles in 2013 is broached, the running back says that one of things working against him was the lack of time he had to learn the offense because he joined the Colts once the season was already underway.

Time for education is not a problem in the offseason and Richardson says he’s been learning a lot now that he has time to focus on the playbook and scheme. The result has been a deeper understanding of the offense rather than simply memorizing what he’s supposed to do on every play.

“I’m learning a lot, as much as I’ve learned in this last week, [it’s] much more than I learned last year,” Richardson said, via the Colts’ website. “The off-season is very important because you have a chance to vibe with your team, to build that respect, to build that trust and then to build that team chemistry with your offensive line, with your quarterback. Knowing the concept of a play is the biggest thing because when it comes down to it, if you just remember what you’re doing, that’s not good enough. I remembered the playbook last year. I know it now.  I’m learning a lot this year.”

There are plenty of people who have other explanations for Richardson’s struggles, most of them based around Richardson’s skills rather than his familiarity with the Indianapolis offense. Those doubts existed after his rookie year in Cleveland as well, so it’s a big year for Richardson.

For his part, Richardson believes that the “sky’s the limit” for how good the Colts offense can be in 2014. If they do reach the stratosphere, there’s a good chance Richardson will be proven right about the power of education.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill
46 Responses to “Trent Richardson: I learned more about offense in last week than I did last year”
  1. 5150cd says: May 1, 2014 11:05 AM

If the Colts actually get a running game, they’ll be playing in the Super Bowl.

2. 1rockyracoon says: May 1, 2014 11:11 AM

He was with the team for 14 games and that apparently wasn’t enough time for him to learn the offense. The Colts didn’t have one coach to help him learn the offense? The average person could learn a lot about a topic in 14 weeks.

3. thegrigga49 says: May 1, 2014 11:11 AM

I’m tired of hearing excuses Trent, just shut up and play.

4. sulkaman says: May 1, 2014 11:13 AM

Awesome. Now if you could just get more than 3 yards a carry each and every time you run. I can’t remember who said it but I love this quote (paraphrasing): “If you need 2 yards Trent Richardson will get you 3. If you need 5 yards Trent Richardson will get you 3.”

5. joemontanawasthegreatest says: May 1, 2014 11:14 AM

He could still end being a good short yardage grinder but he will never live up to his top 5 pick expectations.

6. puckthefatriots says: May 1, 2014 11:17 AM

Good to hear that you’ve learned the offense. Now what will your excuse be next year?

7. calkinsrob says: May 1, 2014 11:17 AM

sleeper pick haha!

8. denverdude7 says: May 1, 2014 11:20 AM

Being a Browns -Bust does not usually translate into top performance elsewhere.

My bet is Trent will be bagging groceries fairly soon.

9. eriewarrior19 says: May 1, 2014 11:20 AM

Bust

10. joshr99164 says: May 1, 2014 11:21 AM

For someone that looked decent running into 8 and 9 man fronts in Cleveland as a rookie, I refuse to believe he is THAT bad. Maybe not the next great back, but give him a year in the offense before judging.

11. urbusted2 says: May 1, 2014 11:25 AM

As a Browns fan I can say this young man is a good kid. I wish him success.

12. jakezog3rd says: May 1, 2014 11:27 AM

Gonna be a monster for all you FFL’ers! Draft high!

13. clintblairjr says: May 1, 2014 11:27 AM

Doesnt seem to be a problem with other running backs who move from team to team in the regular season. Guess he struggles with basic run plays

14. filthymcnasty1 says: May 1, 2014 11:28 AM

I’m glad they finally taught him how to run fast.

15. zeedoubleyou says: May 1, 2014 11:29 AM

Speaking for Colts fans:

Trent, shut up. Focus on letting your play do the talking for you because nobody’s opinion is changing in May.

16. hakunamangata says: May 1, 2014 11:30 AM

“Run right, run left, run straight, DON’T fall down. Oh I see what I was doing wrong coach.”

17. sterlingrodgers says: May 1, 2014 11:32 AM

Eddie Lacy > Trent Richardson

18. indymarc says: May 1, 2014 11:33 AM

I’m having a hard time believing that Colts staff didn’t spend ample time with Trent last season helping him with the playbook . – Saying that, I hope he has a great season this year and proves his critics wrong.

19. brownsalwaysrebuilding says: May 1, 2014 11:35 AM

I liked him in Cleveland but he was never worth a #3 overall pick.

Peyton Hillis gave us a 1000 yd season and we traded Brady Quinn for him.

20. citizenstrange says: May 1, 2014 11:36 AM

It’s really rough on a fellow when you’ve only been playing football since the second grade.

21. jerruhjones says: May 1, 2014 11:37 AM

“So, I’m not supposed to stop moving once I get to the D-line? Ohhhhhhhhhhh, my bad”

22. thegrigga49 says: May 1, 2014 11:44 AM

Ill say this, I think the Colts have a great chance to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl this season. I think it comes down to either them or New England. The addition of Hakeem Nicks is the most underrated signing in the off season. If Reggie Wayne and Ahmad Bradshaw are healthy, look out for Indy. My pre draft SB prediction, Colts vs 49ers.

23. johnelwayishorsefaced says: May 1, 2014 11:47 AM

It never ceases to amaze me how many people post comments here as if the player they’re commenting about is going to read it and take whatever advice these people who never made it past Pop Warner are giving them

24. jdbaker01 says: May 1, 2014 11:59 AM

He reminds me of Ickey Woods. Not so much in the way he runs, but rather in the fact that when he is out of the NFL then he’ll be selling meat out of the back of his truck.

25. brownoholic says: May 1, 2014 12:01 PM

Richardson & Weeden in the same 1st round. Thank you once again, Mike Holmgren. Pure genius, that guy . . .

26. bloodthirstyojs says: May 1, 2014 12:03 PM

Blah blah blah blah blah…… Prove it!

27. albundy4tds1game says: May 1, 2014 12:03 PM

Not a colts fan but where the hell did Vick Ballard go? He was tearing it up lucks rookie year and a key part of their success that year

28. granadafan says: May 1, 2014 12:10 PM

We’re not saying he’s a slow learner….

29. diehardfootballfan says: May 1, 2014 12:11 PM

LOL

30. thegreatgabbert says: May 1, 2014 12:18 PM

Now that Trent doesn’t have to pause to consider which direction to run, he expects much better results.

31. 92nick182govikings says: May 1, 2014 12:20 PM

Colts will be going to the AFC Championship game to give Peyton the ultimate test to get to the super bowl. I think the colts are a 12 to 14 win team this season. Easiest schedule.

32. joefelicelli says: May 1, 2014 12:20 PM

With the variability in blocking schemes used by NFL teams, and the concept changes (3 or 4 versions of the same play, but each runs differently), I can see where he is coming from as far as having time to really grasp the offense from a concept level. Without that level of understanding, he could conceivably be working against the blocking scheme on a particular play.

But unless he finds a way to tap into the physicality he showed in college, he is going to struggle in the NFL to gain consistent yards after first contact.

Given recent news on Irsay, this trade is making more sense (and less sense at the same time).

33. camcameronsucks says: May 1, 2014 12:23 PM

This guy is gonna have a monster year in 2014.

Coming from a Ravens fan

34. td40 says: May 1, 2014 12:26 PM

Fleeced.

35. brynebrywilkerb0310 says: May 1, 2014 12:27 PM

Hitting the hole is something that can’t be taught. Either you have the instincts and heart to do it, or you don’t. Didn’t Indy bring in Edgerrin James to try and teach TR how to run??? Stop tap dancing at the hole and hit that SOB

36. mightbegoingtohellforthis says: May 1, 2014 12:34 PM

Trent Richardson lacks the size to be a true power back and isn’t fast enough to be a home run threat. He has poor lateral movement and rarely ever makes anyone miss. He is a slower, smaller(height), north-south runner with bad field vision and pedestrian like agility.

37. dowhatifeellike says: May 1, 2014 12:36 PM

I find it hard to believe that the Colts traded a first round pick for the guy and then didn’t have someone walk him through the offense.

38. cguy7 says: May 1, 2014 1:00 PM

He needs to hit the hole without hesitation. Bradshaw ran better behind the same line. Defenses aren’t stupid – when Trent comes into the game, they’re gonna run… Could upgrade that OLine.

39. torethatbridgeout says: May 1, 2014 1:07 PM

Knee surgeries took his speed. Good kid, though. Wish him the best.

40. kepdogg23 says: May 1, 2014 1:17 PM

Uh…Vick Ballard is back…he tore his ACL after week one last season. Had a decent first game, I believe 85 yards. If he can come back healthy, the Colts can afford a not so great Richardson.

41. tonybot3 says: May 1, 2014 1:50 PM

its my view that he intentionally hits the pile and tries to push it along on brute strength, because he feels thats a safer alternative on his body than trying to explode through a hole.

Its self preservation.

42. wolff111 says: May 1, 2014 2:32 PM

Trent meet the trunk!

43. kwjsb says: May 1, 2014 6:01 PM

Browns -1
    Colts – 0

44. brownsmakemecrazy says: May 1, 2014 7:51 PM

Im hoping T Rich has a great year. I am pulling for him.

45. ytownjoe says: May 1, 2014 8:51 PM

I hope Trent makes the Pro Bowl.

46. jwbuffett says: May 3, 2014 2:20 AM

T-rich will go over 1,ooo yards next year. You heard it here first.

Hang in there Trent. Don’t let all the punks on this board who never played football get you down. They expose themselves when they act like its not hard to learn a new offense in the middle of a season.