Derek Carr says teams tell him they’d like to pick him in the 20s

Royal Purple Bowl Football AP

Former Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr says teams are telling him they’d like to draft him somewhere with a pick in the 20s on Thursday night.

One team with a pick in the 20s in this year’s draft, Cleveland at No. 26, is reportedly interested in Carr. But the team that picks Carr might be a team that trades into the pick: According to John Clayton of ESPN, Carr says four or five teams have told him they would like to trade into the 20s to draft him.

It wouldn’t be surprising to see a team with a high second-round pick trade up into the 20s to take Carr there. The new Collective Bargaining Agreement makes drafting a player in the late first round preferable to the early second round in one key respect: First-round picks have fifth-year options on their contracts, whereas second-round picks become free agents after four years. That means that if Carr develops into a franchise quarterback, the team that drafts him gets an extra year before having to break the bank to lock him up with a long-term extension. (With Colin Kaepernick wanting $18 million a year or more on his next deal, San Francisco may wish it had traded up and taken him late in the first round of the 2011 NFL draft, instead of trading up to take him early in the second, so that it would have a fifth-year option on his rookie deal.)

Carr’s stock seems to be rising as the draft approaches, and there’s now a lot of talk that he’ll be drafted higher than former Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater. There’s a good chance that after Johnny Manziel and Blake Bortles, Carr will be the third quarterback off the board, perhaps in the late first round.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
45 Responses to “Derek Carr says teams tell him they’d like to pick him in the 20s”
  1. barsfordays says: May 4, 2014 7:49 PM

This guy scares me becuz of his family ties. If he has his brothers genes, he’ll be in the CFL by 2016.

2. thepftpoet says: May 4, 2014 7:51 PM

As an inside source I can tell you this.

The Minnesota Vikings already did their scouting report on Derek Carr and he’s not a franchise quarterback by any means.

He would be a good fit for lesser teams than us, but we actual have high standards.

Mark my words on this:

Johny Manziel and Teddy Bridgewater will both be franchise QB’s in this league and will thrive.

Blake Bortles and Derek Carr = Blaine Gabbert & Jake Locker 2.0

My advanced scouting techniques make my football knowledge so great.

3. nomoreseasontix says: May 4, 2014 7:52 PM

Could also see a team trading down into the 20s to get him.

4. soldyou says: May 4, 2014 7:53 PM

Cardinals??

5. bennyb82 says: May 4, 2014 7:56 PM

I think you might be overstating the importance of the 5th year option for QBs. If a guy is worth keeping for the amount it costs to retain him in his 5th year, he is most likely a guy you want to lock down for the long term.

6. braincake63 says: May 4, 2014 7:56 PM

He’s a game manager at best.

7. gbatap says: May 4, 2014 7:57 PM

Have to imagine with no second rounder, that the Chiefs are open for business as far as trading back from #23. Wouldn’t surprise me if a team like Houston passes on the QB early and comes up to the early 20s to get Carr or a sliding Bridgewater.

8. billclintonspetkraken says: May 4, 2014 7:59 PM

Don’t berate him just because his brother’s career got destroyed by having the worst o-line the league has ever seen c’mon now.

9. PFT's Acclaimed Philosopher says: May 4, 2014 8:08 PM

The Vikings like reaching for QBs.

10. bennyb82 says: May 4, 2014 8:12 PM

Kaepernick reminds me of buying stock in a flashy new social media company that everybody uses and loves, but isn’t quite sure will be profitable. I think the 49ers will just keep waiting and buy low.

11. thesmartest1 says: May 4, 2014 8:12 PM

2nd best QB in the draft.

12. bennyb82 says: May 4, 2014 8:15 PM

———————-
    Oh and when I told my neighbor ‘Jaws’ about it, he sold his house and put his life savings into the stock.

13. tonyc920 says: May 4, 2014 8:19 PM

I would be very pleased to have GB trade #21 to Cleveland for #26 and #71.

14. gborange says: May 4, 2014 8:24 PM

I think it’s fair to say that there are no likely franchise QB’s in this draft. Manziel is by far the most talented, but I see him getting banged up a lot. Bridgewater is the most overrated QB in the last 10 years

15. dickjagger says: May 4, 2014 8:25 PM

I really hope there’s a run on QB’s and at least four of them are gone by the 20′s, even though I don’t see that happening at this point. Just the same, it would be cool as my team has a Q5B and therefore will have other prospects slip to us with the other organizations over reaching. This is a great draft for the 15-20 slots, like my team.

16. kev86 says: May 4, 2014 8:30 PM

He will win a playoff game before RGIII

17. 305phinphan says: May 4, 2014 8:30 PM

I heard the Dolphins are looking to trade down. If a team really likes him it might be smart to move up to #19 now just to be safe.

18. wolfies30 says: May 4, 2014 8:36 PM

Everyone on here slams David Carr incessantly. Yet, 99.9% of the posters on here would trade in their career for his in a heartbeat (myself included). The other .1% are lying.

19. Dogsweat says: May 4, 2014 8:45 PM

Minnesota bound

20. kevbot86 says: May 4, 2014 8:51 PM

While it is impossible to predict if a quarterback will succeed in the NFL, no one should hold Carr’s brother against him. Eli and Peyton are both excellent quarterbacks, but it is way more likely to have one great and one terrible/average quarterback in a family. Carson and Jordan Palmer, Aaron and Jordan Rodgers, Terry and Craig Bradshaw.

21. kamthechancellor says: May 4, 2014 8:52 PM

Reminds me of Kevin Kolb material. Sorry Derek.

22. MostlyRight says: May 4, 2014 8:59 PM

Either Cardinals take Carr or Bridgewater to groom behind Palmer a year or two, or they trade out of the 20th pick to a team that’s wants their QBOF. Teams will try to jump ahead of Cleveland at 26…Cleveland has plenty of picks to cut them off at the pass and should be working a deal with the Cardinals now. Have Dockett and Dansby work it out over Twitter.

23. gerwinke1985 says: May 4, 2014 9:12 PM

wolfies30 says: May 4, 2014 8:36 PM

More likely the .1% are smart enough to not willingly play behind that atrocious line they had in Houston. On the bright side for David Carr….he probably doesn’t even remember that dark part of his life.

24. coltzfan166 says: May 4, 2014 9:18 PM

This kid will be drafted before Bridgewater.

25. gomybirdsgo says: May 4, 2014 9:20 PM

IMO Carr is the second best QB prospect in this draft. Bortles is a slight bit better because of size and mobility.

My favorite spot for Carr would be Cleveland. They have a good core on the oline and a better than average D. They also have imo one of the better RB, WR, TE combinations in all of football. Give a guy like Gordon a QB who has the arm to keep up with Gordons skills and I see big things in Cleveland.

If they get Carr I could see Cleveland taking a big jump next year and maybe not winning the division but being right there until the end.

26. fordmandalay says: May 4, 2014 9:22 PM

I think the Cardinals are a pretty good bet to take him, if he’s available. It’s hard to believe, but they’re finally pretty solid in other positions, and since Palmer only has 1 or 2 years left, they’ve got to start looking for a replacement. I say give him a shot.

27. HippiePeaceAliens says: May 4, 2014 9:23 PM

“Derek Carr says teams tell him they’d like to pick him in the 20s”……

Yeah, 2015

28. notthetroll says: May 4, 2014 9:34 PM

teams say lots of things before the draft

29. victorycruz says: May 4, 2014 9:47 PM

Lol, just to let ya’ll David Carr haters know, he does have a Super Bowl ring, and a bank account ffull of money. #Winning

30. boyshole25 says: May 4, 2014 9:53 PM

How do people say David Carr was a bust? He was the number 1 overall pick pre new cba=monster rookie deal. Played ten years in the league and has a ring

31. boyshole25 says: May 4, 2014 9:54 PM

By that logic I wish I was considered a bust.

32. justinnelson71 says: May 4, 2014 9:59 PM

I lived in Fresno for a year and saw some of his games. He is a solid QB but played against some weak talent. I do think he can be a good QB in this league if he goes to the right team. Maybe sit behind a QB like Rodgers for a few years.

33. thegreatgabbert says: May 4, 2014 10:12 PM

Blekk Bortles is going to be about 26 years old before he gets drafted. He’s the one who will be riding the Bobsled To Hell at the draft, I think.

34. jerjaxon says: May 4, 2014 10:42 PM

Man. Not having a QB sucks. I remember the feeling well when Hass bailed and the Hawks had TJ. Looking forward to the next batch of franchise QBs. Best of luck to these dudes and the teams that draft them…except for the vikings. Why do you guys hate seattle so much? Is there some kind of rivalry going on that only vikes fans know about? Its kinda sad.

35. fordmandalay says: May 4, 2014 11:35 PM

I still say David Carr is a better QB right now than anybody playing for the Titans, Jaguars, Raiders, Bills, Bucs, Vikings, Browns, and Jets. And I might have forgotten some.

36. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: May 5, 2014 12:09 AM

A cynical person might conclude Carr is saying that to lay the foundation to set a draft selection floor to any teams who may be interested in his services, thereby coming out of the gate with a more lucrative contract.

Just sayin’.

37. jerrysglassescleaner says: May 5, 2014 2:16 AM

David Carr is the most sacked QB in NFL HISTORY! It’s not cause he sucked. Ah there ya go, a light bulb just dinged in your head. So being scared of Derek Carr having the same genes as David is just plain stupid. The kid is very coachable. Derek, here is some advice son, your comment just did those teams a favor. They are downplaying you but once you get within their range, they are gonna jump on you like white on rice. Hec no he won’t make it to the 20′s .

38. jeremycrowhurst says: May 5, 2014 2:35 AM

You have to think that the league learned something from 2011, when the Titans, Jags, and Vikings all overreached and set their franchises back three years. None of these guys is worth a pick in the first, except maybeJohnny M for a team like Denver or KC who can let him sit for a couple of years.

39. sourdoughsam says: May 5, 2014 4:22 AM

First word I ever read was “Bulldogs” on the front page of the sports section. Needless to say, I’ve been watching Fresno State football my entire life and I’m confident in saying Derek Carr is the best QB to have played at my school in that time. For people who doubt him because of his level of competition, keep in mind that Joe Flacco played at Delaware and he was a SB-winning MVP a couple years ago.

40. brownsmakemecrazy says: May 5, 2014 4:41 AM

Derek Carr is awful. He is the next Tim Couch. I hope Farmer is showing interest to decoy teams into taking him. He will be out of the NFL in 4 yrs if Browns draft another sorry QB and the Browns will have blown another draft and wasted another draft pick on a scrub that has no business being taken before the 4th round. Go watch the USC tape. He was horrible vs the only good competition he played all year

Please BROWNS DO NOT DRAFT THIS STIFF

41. nitro276 says: May 5, 2014 8:24 AM

Both of the Carr brothers should just shut up at this point and let the draft play out. Keep on yapping about teams’ plans isn’t going to help them.

42. chargrz says: May 5, 2014 9:18 AM

20′s? More like the teens!

43. theytukrjobs says: May 5, 2014 9:57 AM

He’s very precise, quick, strong armed, etc. He’d be good in a rigid system. A system QB.

But he lacks that “it” factor in my opinion. The top 3 QB’s seem to be able to make things happen as they break down, including Bridgewater.

But then again in the NFL the system type QB’s who don’t do a lot of improve are often among the best in the league.

44. praetorian12 says: May 5, 2014 10:27 AM

I would tell Carr to leak this information too, whether it was 100% accurate or not. Even if there is only one “team” truly interested, his agent can try to create a market for Carr, so that the one team takes him in the 20s instead of the 30s.

45. Scott McCollum says: May 5, 2014 10:52 AM

@thepftpoet said:
    As an inside source I can tell you this.

Mark my words on this:

Blake Bortles and Derek Carr = Blaine Gabbert & Jake Locker 2.0

My advanced scouting techniques make my football knowledge so great.

=================================
    Just the fact that the Vikings have scouted or I should say mis-scouted Carr and have graded him
    as a bust or not a franchise QB should be all the more reason for “real” teams to take him. The Vikings lack of ability to grade talent over the years (with the exception of AP) has kept the Vikings mediocre at best. That along with the Vikings history of Superbowl chokes ensures many future seasons irrelevancy Also my true inside sources (from Oklahoma) tell me that AP is not happy in
    Minnesota and wants out!

The fact that Minnesota still hasn’t locked AP down with a very deserving contract displays even more debacles from Vikings management. Out of all the QBs in this draft, Carr will prove to be a steal for whichever team takes him. The real bust in this draft will be Johnny Manziel. He was a great college QB but will be a huge bust in the NFL. He is to short and many of those backyard lucky throws he made while scrambling in college will get picked off many more times than he completes in the NFL. Also his style of play will get him hurt in the NFL. He is a huge gamble and definitely not a 1st round talent. Carr, Blake Bortles and AJ McCarron are the best 3 QBs in this draft and will be successful at the pro level and deserving of a 1st round grade.