Peyton visits New York to pay respect to Jeter, Letterman

Manning AP

As Peyton Manning gets far closer to the end of his career than the beginning of it, he’s spending some time with a couple of icons who soon be doing what Manning will be doing, sooner rather than later.

Manning has traveled to New York, site of his Super Bowl XLVIII blowout loss (sort of), for a Sunday visit to Derek Jeter at Yankee Stadium and a Monday visit to David Letterman at the Ed Sullivan Theater.

I came to see Derek play,” Manning said Sunday, via Kieran Darcy of ESPNNewYork.com.  “Derek and I have been friends — he’s a couple years older than me, but we’ve been pretty much professionals at the same time.  So I wanted to pay my respects and see him play for the last time.”

On Monday, Manning will visit someone who’s a couple decades (actually, three) older than Manning.

“I’m doing Letterman tomorrow night, so I’m paying my respects to him, who’s also retiring,” Manning said. “I’m sad to see some of these guys retiring.  I’m not far behind.”

So when will Manning call it quits?

“As long as I’m still enjoying the preparation part of it, as long as I can still produce and help a team — I don’t want to just be out there hanging on — then I’m gonna keep doing it. . . .  I hope I know when the right time is.”

If he doesn’t, the Broncos will let him know by dumping his $18 million annual salary — and the rest of the NFL will let him know by not offering him anything close to that amount.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
26 Responses to “Peyton visits New York to pay respect to Jeter, Letterman”
  1. vbe2 says: May 4, 2014 9:27 PM

Letterman deserves no “respects”. He’s just a washed up has been.

2. thegreatgabbert says: May 4, 2014 9:42 PM

I’m sure that Letterman and Jeter will visit Cleveland to pay their respects to Peyton when he retires, as well.

3. craniator says: May 4, 2014 9:42 PM

I want to see Peyton keep playing until he forces Tom Brady and Bill Belichick into retirement . . . then he can retire.

4. somethingsmellsrotten says: May 4, 2014 9:52 PM

I know when the right time is MegaHead…right now. Please go away already.

5. stonefish67 says: May 4, 2014 10:07 PM

Jeter has the morals of a Tom cat.
    Letterman is a no good closet socialist.
    Great choice of “friends”
    You are getting as bad as your old man, Archie
    Eli is the best of the bunch.

6. bennyb82 says: May 4, 2014 10:07 PM

Peyton being classy as he always is.

7. j0esixpack says: May 4, 2014 10:08 PM

Damn – that reminds me, I need to get myself booked on Letterman before it’s too late.

Dave – if you’re reading this, I’d like to pay my respects to you as well.

Put me on the show. C’mon… I’ll represent all the JoeSixPacks out there who watched you loyally throughout the years!

8. bullcharger says: May 4, 2014 10:19 PM

Peyton is a class act.

9. westpalmlion says: May 4, 2014 10:51 PM

I wonder if they went to Derek Jeter’s Taco Hole for dinner

10. staffordsyear says: May 4, 2014 10:58 PM

As a Peyton Manning fan i say keep it going..no your playoff record isnt that great but your still fun as hell to watch and a HOF for sure.

11. andrewluck12 says: May 4, 2014 11:06 PM

I wish people would stop bashing the man. He’s done nothing but great things for the fans and the NFL. He’s a true living legend and its sad people can bash someone with so much heart.

12. disturbedshifty says: May 4, 2014 11:13 PM

Doesn’t the title sound like something out of a mafia movie? Manning to pay his respects to Jeter and Letterman.

13. slugbaitspace says: May 4, 2014 11:14 PM

“Manning has traveled to New York, site of his Super Bowl XLVIII blowout loss (sort of)”

Um…”sort of”? Srsly?

14. eugenesaxe1 says: May 4, 2014 11:31 PM

Wow, lotsa douches around here.

15. elranchotropicana says: May 4, 2014 11:42 PM

Peyton was at the derby on saturday to pay his respect to the horseface of the year candidates,shannon sharp was leading down the stretch but elway won by a tooth

16. kd75 says: May 5, 2014 12:35 AM

And CC Sabathia stunk the joint up like Peyton Manning did in the Super Bowl.

17. getsomebeerandsomecleaningproducts says: May 5, 2014 12:59 AM

Hey vbe2 – what the heck do you know? Enjoy your Jimmy Fallon show, you little tweener. What a nincompoop! I remember I thought I new it all when I was seventeen. The age of “comedy’” died when Adam Sandler became your hero.

18. edithpiaf51 says: May 5, 2014 1:01 AM

Peyton comes to NY for all these people but never for his brother Eli. He loves him so much and he just ignores Eli. It is terrible.

19. scw1993 says: May 5, 2014 1:43 AM

The pedigreed golden boy who sexually harassed a female trainer, he’s a real class act.

20. nfceastisbeast says: May 5, 2014 5:17 AM

What he wanted to say was, “after I hold every passing record, then I’ll retire…but he’s too ‘classy’ to be honest.

21. occamssabre says: May 5, 2014 6:06 AM

This makes my brain hurt this early in the morning.

22. trublazer says: May 5, 2014 6:53 AM

classic act! not a colt or bronco or even a Yankee fan

23. anchorbarred says: May 5, 2014 7:34 AM

vbe2 says:
    Letterman deserves no “respects”. He’s just a washed up has been.
    ———–
    People who point out has-beens tend to be a never was.

24. doubleogator says: May 5, 2014 8:22 AM

Peyton is a class act…wrong, Peyton is an attention grabbing phony…

25. chris1cat says: May 5, 2014 10:49 AM

Is Peyton a class act? I guess so if you call him a “married man” in an “open” marriage. Geeeez nice morals pal. Disgraceful fool!

26. weepingjebus says: May 5, 2014 10:54 AM

Manning’s true talent is making a purely self-interested post-blowout media tour sound like him just “paying respects” to various people who happen to have talk shows etc.

p.s. I don’t remember Jeter ever losing a game by 35 points