Byron Bell signs restricted free agent tender

Divisional Playoffs - San Francisco 49ers v Carolina Panthers Getty Images

The deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets with other teams has passed, leaving those players with the choice of signing their tender offers or sitting out the offseason program in hopes that their absence will lead to a long-term deal.

Panthers tackle Bryron Bell was in that predicament and chose the first option. Bell has signed his tender, guaranteeing him $2.187 million for the 2014 season.

Bell started at right tackle for the Panthers for most of last season and turned in an inconsistent body of work. With Jordan Gross retiring, the Panthers have floated the idea of moving Bell to the left side this year and coach Ron Rivera has said he thinks a return to his college position might lead to better results.

Bell may get a shot on the left side, but the Panthers are expected to address the tackle spot later this week so┬áthere’s probably some competition to come before September rolls around.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Byron Bell signs restricted free agent tender”
  1. jgedgar70 says: May 5, 2014 5:13 PM

I watched just about every minute of all 17 Panthers games last year, and I can’t remember this clown ever actually blocking anyone. Good thing for Panthers fans I’m not the GM. I’d be giving the Rams all kinds of picks to take Robinson at #2.

2. noelspot says: May 5, 2014 5:14 PM

Championship!

3. klgeorge13 says: May 5, 2014 5:14 PM

So he goes from being the worst right tackle in the NFL to the worst left tackle.

4. qdog112 says: May 5, 2014 5:44 PM

Gettleman has a plan … The rest of the NFCS like it alot.

5. pkaiser59 says: May 5, 2014 5:59 PM

Great! They’re paying this guy over $2 million to stand around and watch Cam get sacked. Geez! He does NOT know how to tackle! Why even keep him?!

6. dubsix32 says: May 5, 2014 6:51 PM

I knew we will take WR first round thank goodness! Take takle some other round mabe 3rd round wr round 1 and 2

7. clivingston81 says: May 5, 2014 7:47 PM

So we have a undrafted takle, which all 32 teams passed up, for a reason. Now he’s gonna protect our franchise QB? This all makes no sence! It doesn’t matter if you have the best wide recever in the nfl if your QB is on the ground or gets hurt! Where are we then? 2010 all over again, I don’t know, just sayin.

8. pilot2011 says: May 5, 2014 9:00 PM

Jordan Gross was a great, smart player… At his retirement he sent a couple not so subtle hints to Gettleman that Byron Bell is a starting caliber tackle in this league moving forward for the Panthers. If Jordan is willing to use his last moments of the only team he has ever known to reiterate his belief in Byron Bell then I have to believe him. If he and Ron Rivera believe Bell can be a left tackle then that is how it should be.

9. mattryansnoodlearm says: May 5, 2014 9:25 PM

I’m pretty sure Cam Jordan is happy about this. He abused this guy last season.

10. pantherpablo says: May 5, 2014 10:26 PM

I’d cringe if Bell is protecting Cam’s blindside this season. But there is something to be said for switching back to his natural position. Even though he’d generally face superior pass rushers, sometimes a linemen is just more comfortable with his hands and footwork on a different side. But at minimum the Panthers need some competition for the spot in camp.

11. motsuret06 says: May 5, 2014 11:33 PM

This guy was a “turnstile” at RT last year and I see Cam doing a lot of running for his life next year. Moving him to LT to protect Cam’s blindside will make no difference. A good pass rusher will be all over this guy and Gettleman failed to sign a veteran in free agency. Gettleman has a plan…to go 4-12

12. mdd913 says: May 6, 2014 1:35 AM

LOL 2 million for Byron Bell??? I could perform just about as well and I’d do it for half the price.

13. pwebster919 says: May 6, 2014 8:05 AM

For some reason; I believe he’ll work out on the left side.