Patriots select Dominique Easley at No. 29

Toledo v Florida Getty Images

Taking a calculated risk on talented player with a history of injuries, the Patriots selected Florida defensive tackle Dominique Easley with the 29th pick in Round One on Thursday night.

Durability is the major concern with Easley, who suffered a right ACL tear in 2013. He also suffered a left ACL tear in 2011. However, if he returns to form, the 6-foot-1, 288-pound Easley would add some youth and explosiveness to a Patriots defensive tackle group that has a pair of older regulars in Vince Wilfork and Tommy Kelly.

By taking Easley in Round One, the Patriots can retain his rights for a fifth season should they choose. Considering that he’s coming off of a significant knee injury, Easley’s primary impact could come down the road.

Easley appeared in 32 games for Florida, notching 72 tackles and 5.5 sacks.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
37 Responses to “Patriots select Dominique Easley at No. 29”
  1. picksix401 says: May 8, 2014 11:43 PM

Easley the best player on the gators’ D

2. ncphinsfan says: May 8, 2014 11:48 PM

This guy is always injured! I am a Gators fan. This is finally the end of the Belechick “genius” stuff for sure!

3. rtroy23 says: May 8, 2014 11:50 PM

Love that they took a kid with 2 bad knees in round 1

4. jaydm84 says: May 8, 2014 11:51 PM

Steal. He isn’t injured he may have beat out Clownwy (much better work ethic). Dominated opposing olines, watch film from the UM game he was insane. I hate the patriots.

5. freddypatsfan says: May 8, 2014 11:54 PM

the two torn ACLs are scary but potential to be a pro bowler

6. trevor123698 says: May 8, 2014 11:56 PM

the fact that he has two torn acl’s saddens me. Dead athletes dont lie. hes not going to last long.

7. jolink653 says: May 8, 2014 11:57 PM

I’m not sure about this pick. I know the kid has a lot of talent, but the first round isn’t a place to gamble on a kid who tore up both ACLs. I could see trading up in the second, but I’m not crazy about picking him in the first round. First rounders have to be a guaranteed star or it can set your team back. I guess it’s a swing for the fences kind of pick

8. bubbybrister/shovelpass says: May 8, 2014 11:59 PM

I’m really proud of this team tonight. This pick will be just as terrific as NE’s usually are…

9. eldarknight says: May 9, 2014 12:02 AM

REEAACCHHH………………… Panic time in the videodome……..

10. dalcow4 says: May 9, 2014 12:03 AM

Rooting for him to make it, but…

11. harrisonhits2 says: May 9, 2014 12:11 AM

If he’s healed up well great pick, if not terrible pick. I don’t think there’ll be much of a middle ground with this guy.

12. dickshotdogs says: May 9, 2014 12:12 AM

ACL’s are like ingrown toenails now. Most people come back from the injury relatively quicker and stronger. You can bet The Patriots medical staff were very thorough in their research. He is absolutely a steal. Very intense player with enormous talent. And he plays pissed off. I like those kinda guys.

13. 6ball says: May 9, 2014 12:21 AM

Reportedly, the Seahawks had interest in Easley at 32. With their player off the board, Seattle made the deal with MInnesota.

14. simplegodfather says: May 9, 2014 12:26 AM

Ha.. you can see only few pat fans posting this comments.. because most pat fans don’t like this pick because of 1 simple reason.. you don’t waste 1st pick on injury phone player… only 2nd round pick or less..
    Look at Griffin, even though he is really good at QB, but isn’t really worth spending 2x 1st pick on him since he miss alot of games so far, and redskins still last in divison… Not that I feel sorry for Pats, but happily that they took him with regrets.

15. Patskrieg dot com says: May 9, 2014 12:41 AM

Love love love Easley the player. But taking a guy with 2 ACL injuries with the 29th overall pick scares the crap out of me.

16. nflwatcher says: May 9, 2014 12:54 AM

I’m not a doctor but I play one on PFT, isn’t a repaired ACL similar to a rebuilt upgraded engine that’s better than a original 22 year old worn model? Doesn’t it have less a chance to break down? Do they offer some dead athletes ACL’s at higher prices, kind of like thoroughbread horse racing. Will the Ryan kids be fighting over who gets Nolan’s ACL’s?

17. mrwalterisgod says: May 9, 2014 12:55 AM

I really wanted Seattle to get this guy. He will be really good, provided he stays healthy.

18. salutethis says: May 9, 2014 1:04 AM

This is a great pick as long as the guy is healthy on the field. the same issue with Gronk. Possible insane talent, but the guy is ALWAYS hurt.

19. lostsok says: May 9, 2014 2:24 AM

Over Kony Ealy?

20. truetrue85 says: May 9, 2014 2:27 AM

I flat out hate this pick no matter how I look at it. Tom Brady will be 37 years old this season and this is NOT the time to be drafting young developmental players in the first round… they need to draft for their needs RIGHT NOW. Why not take the best TE on the board? Hernandez is in prison and Gronkowski can no longer be counted on. Why not take the best receiver available? Amendola can’t be relied on, Edelman is a slot receiver, Brandon Lafell is a 2 at best and don’t even get me started on Dobson, Boyce and Thompkins. Why not take the best RB on the board? Blount is in Pit, Ridley can’t hold onto the ball and Vereen’s wrist still isn’t 100%. I could go on for days, but at this point I’m completely at a loss with this pick… and that’s not even mentioning the reasoning for BB picking a DT in the first round. Vince Wilfork is coming off a torn achilles, Tommy Kelly is coming off a torn ACL, Will Smith is coming off a torn ACL, Armond Armstead missed all of last season with some undisclosed infection and they just drafted a DT in the first round… THAT IS COMING OFF OF 2 TORN ACL’S!!!!

That is all for my rant… good night.

21. dsully69 says: May 9, 2014 6:01 AM

The first round is a different place now. The costs are controlled and you get the 5th year option. Buys you an extra year to let a kid like this get healthy and excel.

22. pats777 says: May 9, 2014 6:23 AM

The way the Pats run their sub/base D, they don’t need this kid to play 80 snaps a game. This pick has potential to be a brilliant one, but give it some time folks.

23. restorativejusticeprogram says: May 9, 2014 6:27 AM

What are the odds of blowing out both knees a second time? He has gotten all his injuries out of the way in college and should have a 10 year injury free NFL career.

24. ubeengronked says: May 9, 2014 6:59 AM

Figured the Pats would be a little gun shy about picking players with a serious medical history after dealing with Gronk, his ailments, and lost playing time.

However, they did address the need, but I think they would have better served with the a safer pick in Nix or Tuitt.

25. kaspauf says: May 9, 2014 8:16 AM

I am a big Gator fan but NE is my least favorite NFL team (unabashed Jet fan here) it is crazy to see how many Gators end up in NE. This kid has a motor like no other, very good work ethic, and will not give up on plays… I think injury is the main concern but the ceiling for this kid is high.

26. lemmetalkwouldya says: May 9, 2014 8:28 AM

A first round pick who starts his NFL career with two bad wheels already………..?

We’re going to look back on this as a wasted pick.

27. patriots87 says: May 9, 2014 8:30 AM

I think people are forgetting Armond Armstead. Obviously we don’t know what he will be yet, but I think BB has alot of confidence in him so that should allow Easley some time to ease into the NFL game

28. chc4 says: May 9, 2014 8:35 AM

Darren McFadden thinks this guy is injury prone.

29. clipper222 says: May 9, 2014 8:41 AM

Nix was there and the Pats needed him. Not only was Nix rated higher by most scouts than Easley, but Nix fills their biggest need. This is not a good pick for the Pats.

30. jnbnet says: May 9, 2014 8:42 AM

———————————————-
    The pick was so late in the 1st that it might as well have been a 2nd. With the implementation of the rookie wage scale, first round picks are a bit less of a gamble than they used to be.

31. firstdownpunt says: May 9, 2014 8:45 AM

A team with few holes has the ability to make a risky pick on a potential stud. Won’t make or break this team by any stretch but could be game changer.

32. igotgamenj says: May 9, 2014 9:13 AM

two acl tears one more this kids career is done !

33. realnflmaster says: May 9, 2014 9:18 AM

What an awful pick. We got Calvin Pryor for 16 starts a year, the pats got this guy who will be on the trainers table 16 starts a year.

34. surfinbird1 says: May 9, 2014 9:21 AM

Seahawks hate this pick.

35. rc33 says: May 9, 2014 10:09 AM

Seahawks bailed at 32 when Easley was taken ny N.E. at 29. Clearly, the Patriots weren’t the only team ready to take a shot at him in round 1.

36. gimmeabruschi says: May 9, 2014 1:33 PM

After Dowling, Vollmer and Gronk you would think BB would realize taking injury prone guys isn’t maybe the most genius decision one could make.

37. jrcoop says: May 9, 2014 3:01 PM

The real problem with players with a history of injury, aside from rehab time countering developmental time, is they tend to continue to get injured. It’s like they can’t avoid it.