Johnny Manziel: Browns want to win and we want to win now

manziel Getty Images

Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel said after he was drafted that he intends to reverse the team’s losing ways.

“Obviously, the team really wants to win and they want to win now,” Manziel said. “I’ve been a winner everywhere that I’ve been. Whatever the situation may be, I’m going to work extremely hard to put myself in the best position to continue that trend of being a winner.”

The Browns have finished either 4-12 or 5-11 every year for six straight seasons, but they had a very good first round on Thursday night, acquiring both Manziel and cornerback Justin Gilbert, while also acquiring the Bills’ 2015 first-round pick in a trade. This looks like a team on the rise.

Still, Manziel can’t help the Browns win until he’s on the field, and head coach Mike Pettine said Manziel won’t necessarily be the team’s starting quarterback.

“I don’t think you just hand jobs to people when they come in,” Pettine said.

At the same time, you don’t spend a first-round pick on a quarterback if you don’t see him as your future starter. If the Browns are going to turn things around, Manziel is going to be a big part of it.

Permalink 91 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
91 Responses to “Johnny Manziel: Browns want to win and we want to win now”
  1. pencilmonkeymagic says: May 9, 2014 6:20 AM

Cleveland are quietly putting together a strong team. If Manziel plays to his potential, they could make significant progress.

2. citiciti says: May 9, 2014 6:21 AM

Get the popcorn ready this going to be fun to watch.

3. babyphife says: May 9, 2014 6:31 AM

You go with your bad self John-John…….you think Josh Gordon is sleeping well tonight?

4. doctorrustbelt says: May 9, 2014 6:35 AM

REMIND ME: Who are Cleveland’s wide receivers???

Oh, that’s right… they only have one wide receiver (Josh Gordon).

Cameron is nice… but… a team doesn’t win with one receiver and a tight end in the modern pass happy NFL.

Have a nice season, Johnny.

The poor guy will get all the blame when they replace Bess and Little with two less experienced and equally as bad receivers.

5. jpaq68 says: May 9, 2014 6:35 AM

Then why did they pick you?

6. drfeelyouup says: May 9, 2014 6:37 AM

And we will win now.

7. freakish213 says: May 9, 2014 6:38 AM

If the Browns really wanted to win they would have drafted a QB with NFL level skills. #disaster #reach #thirdrounder

8. djstat says: May 9, 2014 6:38 AM

Tim Couch
    Kelly Holcomb
    Sprgyn Wynnn
    Derrick Anderson
    Brady Quinn

Need I say more? Johnny Football is no slam dunk

9. dumbpollack says: May 9, 2014 6:39 AM

I’ll say this, the kid has “it”, and he has it in spades. As a Browns fan for forty plus, I sure hope he can bring some magic to the pound.

10. boomgrounder says: May 9, 2014 6:39 AM

The Browns have never won anything in my life and I’m 51 years old Johnny! Sorry son your not in Texas any longer you’re in Cleveland and once you put on that ugly brown and orange uniform you will become a loser!

11. campcouch says: May 9, 2014 6:41 AM

It was nice to hear a player give a understandable interview after the day was over. He’s been groomed well.Hate the guy if you want,but Cleveland needs a character in the city. He’ll get endorsements easily,and as much as sports media seems to love the miserable franchises there,he’ll get plenty of press. It worked for LeBron James. Besides,once he gets to play and flashes that money sign to the Dawg Pound,he’ll be loved.

12. timmyp716 says: May 9, 2014 6:43 AM

Then why are they waiting to get a franchise QB?

13. steelersnowand4ever says: May 9, 2014 6:44 AM

Yeah they want to win now, but in the division with 3 tough defenses ole’ Johnny Football will be looking at the sky more than the endzone.

14. vincentvega513 says: May 9, 2014 6:45 AM

If it’s brown…

15. doctorrustbelt says: May 9, 2014 6:54 AM

Tim Couch was a good pick.

NOBODY could succeed with that offensive line and those receivers (weakly organized after modell moving to baltimore – no team in Cleveland 1996-1998).

Kevin Johnson, Darrin Chiaverini, David Patton, Quincy Morgan, etc..

Terrible.

16. qdog112 says: May 9, 2014 6:59 AM

Now here is a TOP 5 pick that hasn’t learned a thing. After sweating in the greenroom, like I predicted, (priceless pictures)the first thing he does is his “money symbol”.

Ray Farmer must have had a Haslim gun to his he to take that guy.

HEADLINE: CLOWNEY GOES 1ST, CLOWN GOES 22nd.

He is everything we’re taught sports, IS NOT.

17. ravenswhat says: May 9, 2014 7:04 AM

lol at Pettine trying to act like Hoyer will get a fair shot to start. They didn’t draft Johnny football to hold a clipboard.

18. juanweiner says: May 9, 2014 7:14 AM

The other 3 AFC north defenses will eat this kid up 6 times a year. The Browns and Bortles would have been a better combo.

19. ravensbob says: May 9, 2014 7:14 AM

Mr manziel, meet mr Suggs. AFCN will destroy him.

20. senormiyagi says: May 9, 2014 7:15 AM

Playoffs. Definitely next year. He’s gonna do it.

21. dontbugmeonsundays says: May 9, 2014 7:21 AM

From a Bills fan, good luck to you guys. Our teams both got excellent players in the first round. I would love to see the Browns and the Bills turn their franchises around and make the playoffs. I’m confident if the right pieces are around Johnny he’ll be very successful.

22. darthvoter says: May 9, 2014 7:21 AM

Cleveland =Football Hell, where QB’s go to watch their careers die.

I like Manziel. I would have liked him more if he were chosen by a better franchise. This kid’s going to get pounded in the AFC North. Cleveland best get busy choosing Offensive linemen to protect his small frame, otherwise he’ll be running for his life, literally.

23. logicalnaysayer says: May 9, 2014 7:22 AM

I think this a great pick for the Browns both for value and for relevance in the NFL. However, I question Manziel’s ability to succeed and get along with OC Kyle Shanahan. While RG3’s rookie season was phenomenal, there was obvious friction between the two. Shanahan has been labeled a “perfectionist” who stresses footwork and read progressions as a pocket passer. I question how he could handle his frustration with Manziel’s innate ability to “wing it” when a play breaks down. His ego vs. RG3’s talent/ ego lasted all of two seasons before the situation imploded. I wouldn’t be surprised if Cleveland has a new OC within that same time period…

24. floratiotime says: May 9, 2014 7:24 AM

This is in sharp contrast to every other team that wants to win too … but later.

25. ravensfranzy says: May 9, 2014 7:25 AM

Another poor soul devoured by the Factory of Sadness.

26. gborange says: May 9, 2014 7:27 AM

He may end up being a bust, but he is certainly more talented than Bortles or Bridgewater.

27. 1rockyracoon says: May 9, 2014 7:30 AM

That’s nice he’s been a winner every where he’s been. Now he’s going to play for the Browns. He might have to get used to losing seasons.

28. brownsfan39 says: May 9, 2014 7:43 AM

JOHNNY FOOTBALL=
    CLEVELAND SUCCESS
    GO BROWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. mad55555 says: May 9, 2014 7:44 AM

Put your hard hat on kid. You just started a career in the factory of sadness. More like where football careers go to die. I am sorry to say but your career died the second the Eagles traded away their pick to the skidmarks.

30. birdbrainsnj says: May 9, 2014 7:47 AM

This is the kind of terrible pick you expected by the browns. This guy does not have “it”. A slower, weaker armed, smaller, mike Vick is not going to takeover the nfl.

31. ddogdaddy says: May 9, 2014 7:48 AM

As a Colts fan I was going to write something about the Browns will be wishing they didn’t make “the trade” but I am not going to. I actually hope the kid does well for the Browns as I really do like watching him on the field. I hope T Rich does the same for the Colts. This trade may work out for both teams or not. I guess we will know soon enough.

32. heymister24 says: May 9, 2014 7:50 AM

The browns got lucky and were able to get john, so much better than bridgewater and carr. Johnny will sit behind Hoyer for awhile other than maybe running some packages. Now for round 2.

33. kosarkid says: May 9, 2014 7:55 AM

I look at it this way. It would be much worse if the Browns would have passed on Manziel and he would’ve succeeded on another team, than if he becomes a bust for the Browns. Also can’t believe we have 2 first rounders again next year. Great job Ray.

34. jpaq68 says: May 9, 2014 7:56 AM

Maybe they picked him because they felt sorry for him and didn’t want to see him cry on national television.

35. peytonsneck18 says: May 9, 2014 8:00 AM

B.u.s.t

36. peytonsneck18 says: May 9, 2014 8:01 AM

The Colts are laughing at.the Browns, wasted the pick on him, lmao!!!

37. t8ertot says: May 9, 2014 8:01 AM

All it takes is one good body slam from Geno Atkins and he’s done for

38. ickky says: May 9, 2014 8:01 AM

Kid has his work cut out for him

39. brintfatre says: May 9, 2014 8:01 AM

Want in one hand an spit in the other and see which one gets full faster…

Johnny Football just got banished to the outer rim of the football universe never to be heard from again!

40. joeywoge says: May 9, 2014 8:04 AM

BUST!!!!!

41. colv says: May 9, 2014 8:10 AM

As a Ravens fan it’s good to see that Cleveland may have turned the corner here. I think Cleveland fans have something to cheer for now with a more competitive AFC North. With so many top 10 picks during the last decade they really should have turned the corner years ago. Good luck to our fellow AFC North fans.

42. clbrwns says: May 9, 2014 8:13 AM

Love my Browns but not sold on this one. He reminds me of Colt McCoy with a big mouth. Please prove me wrong. Please..

43. nostradamus4192 says: May 9, 2014 8:16 AM

If it’s Brown…..flush it down!

44. vincentbojackson says: May 9, 2014 8:19 AM

Johnny will bring excitement to the art of holding a clipboard this season.

45. eman79 says: May 9, 2014 8:19 AM

Good pick by the Browns, but why people keep saying he’s a winner? He’s only won a Cotton, a Chick-Fil-A bowl and 1 game against Alabama. Shall I lower my standards?

46. teecouch says: May 9, 2014 8:22 AM

The other 3 teams in the AFC North all stood and cheered when the Browns made this pick.
    “Johnny Football”? omg.

47. ravenmadnky says: May 9, 2014 8:29 AM

Cleveland needs a WR badly. They pick 3rd in round 2. Houston will probably tempt fate by picking Carr, and Washington does not need a WR. Marquise Lee will literally fall into the Brownies laps. Factory of sadness no more? I hope not, but, if Manziel is even a decent NFL qb, the Browns are a team on the rise.

48. billsfan1 says: May 9, 2014 8:29 AM

He is the biggest boom or bust player, maybe ever. He won’t be average. He will either be very good or epically bad but either way it will be fun to watch him ball or implode

49. unclebluck says: May 9, 2014 8:36 AM

Anybody else enjoy watching Manzel squirm in the green room as he was passed over time and time again last night…..

50. johnqlunchbox says: May 9, 2014 8:42 AM

I’m a lifelong Browns fan but I’m NOT excited about last night’s result.

The Browns should’ve picked Watkins at 4, then moved up later to grab a cornerback. They could’ve taken Garoppolo tonight, who is more likely than Manziel to become a quality NFL quarterback. And moving from 9 to 8 to get Gilbert was wholly unnecessary and simply wasted a pick. Color me unimpressed.

51. thetxhammer says: May 9, 2014 8:46 AM

Cool use of hashtags.

52. 80sbroncofan says: May 9, 2014 8:46 AM

Cleveland, where quarterbacks go to die.

53. dannersthemanners says: May 9, 2014 8:52 AM

He couldn’t pass against LSU when it was 40 degrees and rainy.

Good luck with Cleveland’s weather.

54. tomkanpa says: May 9, 2014 8:59 AM

“I’ve been a winner no matter where I’ve been.”

And so the inflated ego begins…

55. msstiller58 says: May 9, 2014 9:07 AM

22nd pick, Cleveland….déjà vu all over again

56. sean222 says: May 9, 2014 9:08 AM

Last season the Browns blew 6 fourth quarter leads and just bolstered their top 10 defense. Secondly, they just drafted a guy who can keep a clock moving and is definitely better than the guys we had throwing the ball last year. If the Browns pull a top Guard with this pick tonight, I give us 10 wins.

57. purdueman08 says: May 9, 2014 9:13 AM

I hate players with the me me me attitude. That’s what this kid brought clear up to the draft.

58. crindal3000 says: May 9, 2014 9:20 AM

Josh Gordon makes any QB look good.

59. billytodd2013blbaad says: May 9, 2014 9:22 AM

simply the Browns being the Browns.

60. bonniebengal says: May 9, 2014 9:24 AM

And he’s going to be playing three very good defenses in the AFC North. Nobody’s gonna hand you wins because you won in college.

61. weepingjebus says: May 9, 2014 9:26 AM

See ya.

62. erock0129 says: May 9, 2014 9:26 AM

Whatever…we are Cleveland, we’be heard it all, you can’t offend us, just keep talkin’. Go Browns.

63. steelerdeathstar says: May 9, 2014 9:27 AM

I agree with the writer that said Johnny Manziel is no slam dunk…but this will be interesting to watch. Huge boom-or-bust-potential here for them. Jmmy G may have been the safer pick.

64. ballboy48 says: May 9, 2014 9:31 AM

Who would you rather have 2.7 YPC Trent Richardson or Johnny Manziel? Even Johnny can average more than 2.7 YPC.

65. Matt dog from C-town says: May 9, 2014 9:35 AM

that was sweet when he made the money gesture with the hands…..this guy hops out the bed with his swag-on!!!!

66. coop16 says: May 9, 2014 9:41 AM

Been a Browns fan for more years than I want to admit. They’ve done nothing but lose and every QB since the 1999 return has been a disaster. All I can do is shake my head when I read stuff like this post. A team on the rise … building a team to be reckoned with … drafting some exciting young talent … when have I heard that before? 2001? 2003? 2006? 2008? 2011? I remember all kinds of happy talk when we drafted Trent Richardson. Yeah, he really turned things around for us. I’ve had it up to here with happy talk. Win some frickin’ games for a change. Until then, shut up.

67. lbcoach34 says: May 9, 2014 9:43 AM

I know the jury is still out…but I did not get nearly as excited about Brady Quinn or Brandon Weeden at #22…

68. kneelbeforesod says: May 9, 2014 9:50 AM

Granted, Cleveland has certainly suffered enough. But I honestly don’t think this Bieberish bloke is the one to build a solid foundation for the future of the franchise.

69. ninjapleazee says: May 9, 2014 9:50 AM

Now let’s see who’s the first to sack him and mock that ridiculous money gesture if his

70. summitmech says: May 9, 2014 9:53 AM

Too bad you won’t have Norv Turner to actually coach any of your offense, lol. Oh, thanks for the free extra pick, again, btw.

Bridgewater will blow Manziel out the, well, water, haha!

71. reesesteel23 says: May 9, 2014 9:56 AM

He doesn’t have a 6′ 5″ receiver to just throw an alley oop too anymore lol. Be excited, but this dude is no lock

72. bonniebengal says: May 9, 2014 9:56 AM

Brady Quinn was the 22nd overall pick too..just sayin.

73. brianstevens0915 says: May 9, 2014 9:57 AM

I personally dislike Johnny Football. But I like the history of the Browns and what they mean to the NFL. So for that I hope he helps the team out. As long as I get to see him get lit up at least once a game to wipe that smirk off his stupid face I’ll be happy.

74. slash714 says: May 9, 2014 9:58 AM

So far the browns have aced the draft with the top corner and QB. There are a lot of ignorant people that don’t know a football star when they see one.. The browns were close, now they’re contenders..

75. ragnarthemagnificent says: May 9, 2014 10:02 AM

Johnny is curiously wearing a purple jacket.

76. hbdbrowns33 says: May 9, 2014 10:04 AM

You’re right, he’s only got a 6’3 pro bowl WR with 4.3 speed and a near 40″ vertical and a 6’5 pro bowl TE to throw to now. How will he ever manage?

77. bonniebengal says: May 9, 2014 10:09 AM

Meanwhile, Bridgewater, who they passed on, is going to be a star for the Vikings. Maybe not Year one, but he will be.

78. tictoccpthook says: May 9, 2014 10:10 AM

Steeler bait.

79. bcboncs says: May 9, 2014 10:16 AM

We have Josh Gordon, Andrew Hawkins, and Jordan Cameron as the primary targets for our QB whether it is Hoyer or Manziel. From my understanding, Hoyer will likely start or at least there will be a true competition. A report earlier yesterday indicated that Pettine thought Hoyer is still more NFL ready than any QB coming out of this class.

Give Manziel some time to simmer. We all know he wants to get in there and win but maybe he needs a small simmering period :D

Meanwhile, the Browns see what they have with Hoyer for real.

Go Browns!

80. defscottyb says: May 9, 2014 10:18 AM

Doesn’t sound like the Browns were totally sold on Manziel because they passed on him earlier in the first round and any team could have snagged him before the Browns picked again but I like the kid has heart. Good for the factory of sadness. As a Skins fan I actually feel good for them after the Rams screwed them by not dealing with them re: RG3 (Browns offered more than the Skins for the pick to get Griffin but the Rams wouldn’t talk to them). So, good for them getting Johnnie Football.

81. jerruhjones says: May 9, 2014 10:41 AM

He wasn’t my first choice, but give the kid a chance before you bury him.

Go Browns!!!

82. summitmech says: May 9, 2014 10:52 AM

They may FINALLY reach that coveted 6-10 record!

83. Canadian Betting says: May 9, 2014 11:01 AM

Would be awesome if the Browns become a contender all of a sudden. Hopefully he doesn’t end up like RG3

84. mogogo1 says: May 9, 2014 11:01 AM

Kyle Shanahan never got along with any QB in Washington and I’m doubting Manziel is going to break that string. It’s a strange marriage that looks doomed to fail.

85. bobzilla1001 says: May 9, 2014 11:07 AM

I’m wondering if Ben Roethlisberger shooting off this mouth about Manziel’s frailty will be used as bulletin board material. I bet Steelers linebackers coach Joey Porter is thrilled that Roethlisberger dragged his name into the discussion. Going to be interesting…

86. bartpkelly says: May 9, 2014 11:11 AM

Aaron Rodgers was a 1st round pick who didn’t start…for years.

87. NoobTubeTV says: May 9, 2014 11:21 AM

This was not a good ‘football’ move. As exciting and baffling as it all was… I still think we should have waited and taken Derek Carr or another QB that has fallen to 2nd/3rd Round.

88. urbusted2 says: May 9, 2014 11:53 AM

Hoyer will still begin the season as the Browns starter. If he wins, as I suspect he will, he’ll keep the job for the year at least. Quinn was picked at 22 and held a clip board for a while (and should have kept holding it) so being picked at 22 doesn’t dictate being handed the starting job. Manziel wasn’t taken at four (or 8 ) remember.

89. lgwelsh1 says: May 9, 2014 11:59 AM

The Circus has just come to town, it’s going to be a media frenzy of epic proportions!

90. bblocker68 says: May 9, 2014 12:03 PM

You realize what division you just landed in, Mr. Football?

Run for your life Johnny, run!!!!!

91. ksiner says: May 9, 2014 12:34 PM

Somewhere there is a freshman QB that will be the first round pick of the Browns in another 4 years after Manziel has followed Ryan Leaf into NFL obscurity.