Michael Sam would have had four offers if undrafted

AP

The Rams made history when they used the 249th pick on Missouri defensive end Michael Sam.

But if he had lasted through eight more picks, he’d have had his choice of offers.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, Sam would have chosen between offers from four teams — the Rams, Bears, Giants and Ravens as an undrafted free agent.

To be honest, it’s surprising more teams wouldn’t have wanted to bring him in, or at least let it known they were interested in possibly doing so.

The Ravens are the only base 3-4 defense of the bunch, but they’ve shown a flexibility over the years that would have allowed him to find a spot.

But the Rams made it a moot point by taking him with a compensatory pick.

58 responses to “Michael Sam would have had four offers if undrafted

1. Came awfully close to being this year’s Mr. Irrelevant. I hope he gets a fair shot to show what he can do with the Rams.

2. Aside for being unable to keep his private life private, why all the fuss, there are hundreds of others who will get multiple invites from teams.

3. I found it interesting when Jeff Fisher said afterward “we had him quite a bit higher on our board, AS DID EVERYONE ELSE, but when he started to drop and got this far we had to get him.”

4. You didn’t even know him until he told the world about his “personal” life. Before you say I am bashing him, I would say the same about Kim Kardashian, Paris Hilton, and everybody else who wants to push their private lives into our livingroom. If the dude could play good, if not then see ya

5. By refusing to attend the draft and have a camera in his face, Sam has tried to set the tone that he’s all about football. I just hope (though I doubt) that the media lets him focus on work. I have a feeling he’s going to be one of the hardest workers in camp.

6. kwjsb, then why comment? And, just curious, do you cry about Tom Brady being unable to keep his private life private? How about Eric Efron, who talked about how he got engaged just before the draft…he’s unable to keep his private life private, right? Why no comment from you on that?

7. kwjsb: are you really that clueless, to not realize that gay people have had to deal with a huge amount of discrimination (and in many cases violence), and that being the first openly gay player in the history of the NFL is significant? If you were around back in 1947, you probably would have said “why all the fuss?” about Jackie Robinson….

8. There are a ton of awfully good players that didn’t get drafted. With the exception of wide receiver, which just got hammered, I would be virtually every position has at least one player with a consensus fifth round grade that didn’t get picked. Of course, not a single one of them will get a mention over some miscarriage of justice that they didn’t get picked. Skov, Bullough, Jeffcoat, Groy, Pedersen, Loston, Bailey, Christian Jones. And that’s just the start of the list.

9. jaggedmark says: May 10, 2014 7:58 PM

I found it interesting when Jeff Fisher said afterward “we had him quite a bit higher on our board, AS DID EVERYONE ELSE, but when he started to drop and got this far we had to get him.””

Actually thats the most reasonable and obvious thing Fisher could say.

His teams need another DE maybe the least of any NFL team.

The only rational reason to take Sam for such a case is if he becomes an exceptional value.

10. The only game I saw Mizzou play was against Auburn and based on that game I would have ventured to guess there wasn’t a single player on that defense worthy of getting drafted.

11. shockey19, because that’s what prejudiced people do. They act like it shouldn’t be talked about because it’s a non-issue, when what they mean is that it shouldn’t be talked about because they don’t agree with it.

12. kwjsb: are you really that clueless, to not realize that gay people have had to deal with a huge amount of discrimination (and in many cases violence), and that being the first openly gay player in the history of the NFL is significant? If you were around back in 1947, you probably would have said “why all the fuss?” about Jackie Robinson….
    —————————————————————–
    Jackie Robinson’s discrimination came from an overt difference that he could not suppress….color of his skin. Being gay does NOT have to be a point of interest or reference in one’s job anymore than dating a different race or culture is or being a-sexual with no sex drive at all. I do not understand why a personal preference i.e. which sex one prefers to be romantically involved with has any relevance to one’s job

13. I really don’t appreciate ESPN and the NFL attempting to normalize Michael Sam’s lifestyle. They’ve spent more time talking about him than they did any other player outside of Johnny Manziel. And why? Because of what he’s done on the field? No, precisely because of what he’s done off of it. I don’t wish him any ill at all. If he makes the team, great. What I don’t want is for the NFL to turn into a politically correct organization, and I certainly don’t want to see his lifestyle projected on the screen every time the Rams come up in conversation. Let the replies fly, my comment get flagged for being insensitive, and PFT remove it as they’ve done four times already this weekend on this issue and the Redskins’ name.

14. I wanted him on the jets. However, the people who cover the team would have made this a nightmare. jets easily have the worst beat in sports.

15. How about ESPN analysis double talk that every new player picked “best player on my board, I thought he is the most physical, this guy was my #1” when a quick review of their comments pre round 1 shows contrary. So lame, all for tv.

16. His agents did a wonderful job of taking a non-draft player and creating enormous buzz by focusing on his off-field activities and getting him drafted.

17. The problem is not who drafted the first openly gay player, the problem will be who wants to cut the first openly gay player! I think thats why he dropped so much, who wants the hassle!

18. Now if he can’t perform there’ll be pressure to keep him on the roster anyway. The kid set himself up to get every benefit of the doubt, where a normal 7th round pick would get cut & forgotten… This kid can’t be cut, no matter what. Plays 3-4 yrs even if he’s bad, then writes a book…. Or if he can play, good for him! But one thing he’s already done is made his name a hot- potato so he will get paid one way or the other…. Chuck Bednarik & Co are absolutely embarrasseed of this league, I’ll tell you that

19. Someone from the league office placed calls to several teams to give them a nudge to pick Sam. Goodell definitely didn’t want the negative press that was coming. This would have made Donald Sterling situation look like no big deal.

20. If you don’t agree with the Pro gay media and comment on a ‘Sam’ story, you will be censored… so Yaay Sam… I’ll bet this one makes it through lol

21. They drafted him to ruin him. No way he wins a a spot in that deep rotation and they will say “we gave him a chance but he couldn’t play now he can go whatever he needs to do.” He would have made the Giants or Bears.

22. You mean the assistant commissioner.. Mr Kraft, the real commissioner. was calling the shots on this..

23. matman13 says:
    May 10, 2014 8:25 PM

_______________________________________

So…what EXACTLY constitutes “his lifestyle being projected on the screen”?

24. He probably would have went higher if it weren’t for all the media baggage that comes with him. I know the media thinks they are doing something good by promoting this guy and shoving him down everyone throats but in the short term you may have actually cost this guy some money.

But either way, you get a story and that’s all you care about.

25. “Jackie Robinson’s discrimination came from an overt difference that he could not suppress….color of his skin”
    ———————————————————–

What you are implying is that gay people are just supposed to suppress their orientation to appease discriminatory straight people.

Funny how straight people think that’s no big deal, but you don’t see straight people never holding hands in public, never putting a picture of their significant other at work, or never telling their friends and family who their partner is.

26. lurch61- You are crazy. Dude think about everyday at work when your coworkers ask “what are you doing this weekend?”
    If he wasn’t out he’d have to lie about his entire social life . Just the everyday day small talk.
    You’re right we can pretend we’re straight and hide it . BTW, when exactly DID YOU choose girls?

27. Tebow proudly spoke of his religious beliefs and he was hated. Sam confesses he is sexually attracted to other men as he is labeled a hero.

28. wizardburialground says:
    May 10, 2014 9:10 PM
    matman13 says:
    May 10, 2014 8:25 PM

____________________________________
    So…what EXACTLY constitutes “his lifestyle being projected on the screen”?
    —————————————————–
    Anything other than what he does between the lines to help my team win.

29. csbanter is right. furthermore, the real story is how a quality player drops to the sixth round, but rapists, murders and dog fighters are welcomed to big contracts with open arms. Uncle Roger’s empire is truly built on sand.

30. I have no problem if a person is gay…however, I am not too excited to ESPN show two men kissing or even a man and a woman but Nooooooooo! Espn had to ram the man kissing and rubbing down our throats and I had to turn off the show.
    Thanks for nothing or for making a big deal out of a potential special teaser at best…,,

31. Easy for teams to now say that they would have signed him. They all had multiple opportunities to draft him. Notice that the 2 old teams with allegedly the most powerful and influential owners in the NFL – ie NY Giants (Mara) and Pittsburgh Steelers (Rooney) were teams about to make an offer. Goodell was probably encouraging behind the scenes.
    Jeff Fisher was the only one with the guts to do it.
    Good luck to Michael Sam. I hope he makes it onto the Rams 53 man roster.

32. These teams are just trying to save face. The truth is, no one wanted to draft him. Because he’s not a good football player. I’m sure the NFL gave the Rams an incentive so they wouldn’t have to deal with the PR nightmare that would have ensued had he went undrafted.

33. shockey19 says:
    May 10, 2014 8:03 PM

_______________

shockey19: you are genius & the hero of this post.

34. I agree with gborange… Tebow says he’s a christian and he gets smashed for it… This guy says he likes duded and he’s some sort of Hero??? Ya, not so much. If he was a hero, he would have kept his mouth shut and not drawn attention to himself. Soldiers are heroes, not this mediocre bum.

35. The media is ready to anoint him as a modern day Jackie Robinson because the media supports the gay agenda (as is their right) except they overlooked one very important factor, Jackie Robinson was a great player. Michael Sam’s fate in the NFL will rest on one attribute and one attribute alone, can he make plays?

36. gborange says:
    May 10, 2014 9:45 PM

______________

Tebow was hated, mostly, because of the circus that surrounded him. The same thing will happen to Sam if the hype doesn’t die down. I believe it will, but that is just one person’s opinion.

37. As Jackie Robinson probably predates most users on this board how about:

Warren Moon having to go to Canada to be a QB as the NFL had a “color line” when it came to blacks playing QB.

Was he not good enough?

Sam was to Co-DPOY in the SEC. Look at the others. They all got drafted in the 1st round except Demarco Ryans who got drafted 33rd overall.

Sam was 7th last in the draft. People think the fix was in.

If he gets cut all knowledge fans should know why, but all the gay hate here is interesting.

38. Shame on you guys for acting like openly gay is not a big deal. It is not a private life bc it is different from the norm heterosexual. We as heteros need to understand that our lifestyle is accepted everywhere but a gay lifestyle is not and most are not remotely comfortable with. If he was not open about it he would always feel unaccepted and living a secret life. He can now find true friends who like him for how he his and avoid the ones who dont.

39. The reason why Sam is being portrayed as a “hero” is because he has opened himself to hateful remarks. I never had a problem with Tim Tebow other than his being massively overrated and discussed at length even after people knew he wasn’t good enough to start in the NFL as a QB. It annoyed me that people acted as if he was the one to invent Jesus, when NFL players have been praying on the field and giving shout outs to their lord and savior for years. None of that means he is a bad guy or that he wasn’t a great college QB. Just as Sam isn’t a bad guy because he chose to be honest about his sexual orientation.

40. matman13 says:
    May 10, 2014 8:25 PM

____________________________________
    wizardburialground says:
    May 10, 2014 9:10 PM

So…what EXACTLY constitutes “his lifestyle being projected on the screen”?
    ____________________________________

How many stories do you think ESPN will do on Michael Sam during training camp? How long before there’s a 30-for-30 episode devoted to just him? Assuming he makes the team, how much focus do you think there’ll be on him during the Monday night game against the 49ers? And this doesn’t begin to cover how FOX, NBC, CBS, and the NFL will celebrate his lifestyle.

I don’t watch the NFL to find out about what charity events Peyton Manning did, or what red carpet event Tom Brady went to with his wife, or how Michael Sam is adjusting as a gay man in the NFL. But that’s where were headed. Michael Sam. Gay man. NFL hero. And I’ll be forced to talk to my children about what being gay means, and why we believe it’s wrong instead of just enjoying two teams playing football.

That’s what projecting his lifestyle means. He is free to live however he wants to, but that doesn’t mean I have to accept it. And I sure as heck wish we weren’t subjected to endless stories about it. I DON’T like it.

41. matman13 says: May 10, 2014 11:12 PM

———————————————————-

Truth is that media are constantly projecting the lifestyle of their straight players all the time. Remember the Tony Romo stream of girlfriends saga? Google Ryan Tannehill’s name and half the images that pop up are of his wife. Ray Rice and his fiance made tons of news this summer. I see Eli Manning’s wife all the time on Giants broadcasts. The people who really have a problem with Michael Sam’s haven’t made a giant stink about those lifestyles being projected but suddenly now that it is a gay man it is a problem? I think I sense some hypocrisy here…

42. I really dont care who he sleeps with
    But If he only wanted this to only be about his football prowess why did he come out just prior to the combine and create the media circus?

43. You guys are pathetic… You expect ESPN not to report on these very relevant stories? 99% of you were glued to the TV screen wondering where Johnny Football would be picked in the draft, and ESPN shouldn’t make it the lead story?

The first openly gay person gets drafted and this is not news? Please come out of your little cocoon.

And I’m sick of all the ESPN bashing! Do you realize what this channel has done for athletes and people who love sports? Again, 99% who bash ESPN have it on 24/7.

44. Just remember history has never looked favorably on hate no mater what philosophical argument you wrap it up in. Most of these post in ten years will be looked at with the same disgust that racism is looked on today. Wise up people you don’t want to be the new Sterling when you hit old age.

45. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: May 12, 2014 6:18 PM

As a giants fan…THANK YOU RAMS!!!!
    __________________

As a Rams fan, thank you Giants for leaving Aaron Donald on the board.

46. weaponx73 says: May 12, 2014 3:31 PM