Rams draft Michael Sam

michaelsam AP

Michael Sam is the first openly gay player in the history of the National Football League, and he’s a St. Louis Ram.

Sam, who came out as gay after ending his college career as a defensive end at Missouri, was selected by the Rams late in the seventh round, with the 249th overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft.

The Rams made history by welcoming the first openly gay player to the NFL, and by keeping Sam in Missouri, they ensured that he’ll be in front of a supportive fan base.

Sam is a former SEC Defensive Player of the Year, and the NFL will face some criticism from those who believe that Sam’s sexual orientation kept him from being selected until late on the final day of the draft. But it’s more likely that it was Sam’s workout at the Scouting Combine that caused his draft stock to drop: Sam struggled in his workouts, and many personnel people simply didn’t think he had the athletic talent to make it in the NFL.

Whatever the reasons, Sam lasted until the Rams decided to take him late in the draft, and he’ll join one of the best defensive lines in the NFL. He still has to battle just to make the Rams’ roster, but he has earned the opportunity.

Permalink 132 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
132 Responses to “Rams draft Michael Sam”
  1. elmerbrownelmerbrown says: May 10, 2014 6:53 PM

Your in the NFL son ,,,,congratulations !

2. dynamitelarry says: May 10, 2014 6:54 PM

Happy he got drafted.

3. shackdelrio says: May 10, 2014 6:54 PM

Good for him. A real trailblazer.

4. fumblenuts says: May 10, 2014 6:54 PM

No brainer, put the Rams on HBO Hard Knocks!!

5. theallegedone says: May 10, 2014 6:54 PM

Congratulations Michael Sam. Good luck. I hope you have a long career.

6. detectivejimmymcnulty says: May 10, 2014 6:55 PM

If the media leaves the issue alone he may have a chance. Looks like the Rams will be on Hard Knocks.

7. drs76109 says: May 10, 2014 6:55 PM

Not sure that he has “earned” the opportunity. But he will have “an” opportunity to earn a roster spot.

8. kerzondax says: May 10, 2014 6:55 PM

Gay/Straight/Christian/Atheist … It does not matter. If you can play and make the owners money, you get drafted. Only the fans care one way or the other about anything else.

9. motleytrap says: May 10, 2014 6:55 PM

At least he’ll have familiar faces rooting him on.

But how is he ever going to break into that rotation.

10. ramitbaby says: May 10, 2014 6:56 PM

Not going into any pride parades but I’m proud of my team today.

11. bennyb82 says: May 10, 2014 6:56 PM

If he already has a relationship with the media from going to school in Missouri, this could really be a win-win for Sam and the Rams. Maybe they will see him more as a football player than a gay football player.

12. raidadon says: May 10, 2014 6:56 PM

Congrats Michael Sam! Now it’s time to DO WERK!

13. dartwick says: May 10, 2014 6:56 PM

And the NFL dodges a bullet.

14. perspective2424 says: May 10, 2014 6:56 PM

Congrats Michael Sam. Good for him.

15. dartwick says: May 10, 2014 6:57 PM

This smells like a PR move – is there any team less in need of DE?

16. nfl4days says: May 10, 2014 6:57 PM

Robert Quinn and Chris long are two guys I would love to be my mentors. Congrats!

17. kwjsb says: May 10, 2014 6:57 PM

The big question will he keep his private life private or will he go for the publicity circus, the same circus that has Tebow out of football rather than being a #2 somewhere in the league, but no team wants a #2 with a circus when your starter have all the circus a team needs.

18. chrisdavidgarcia says: May 10, 2014 6:58 PM

Welcome to Rams Nation Michael.

19. muathjam21 says: May 10, 2014 6:58 PM

Congratulations, Michael.

Now if only the media would stay the hell out of his and the Rams’ business. Had they done so with Tebow, he might still be on a roster somewhere.

20. edelmanfanclub says: May 10, 2014 7:01 PM

Get ready for the Tim Tebow treatment kid

21. faepernick says: May 10, 2014 7:02 PM

Jonathan Martin to the 49ers, Michael Sam on the Rams and Richard Sherman on the Seahawks. All controversial players, but one thing rings true in our division, we are all about the bottom line.

NFC West only cares if you can PLAY FOOTBALL

WEST = BEST

22. shaunypoo says: May 10, 2014 7:03 PM

There, he got drafted, can we all move on now?

23. jem8705 says: May 10, 2014 7:03 PM

Congrats Michael Sam, now go do some work.

Enjoy the League!!

24. In Teddy We Trust says: May 10, 2014 7:03 PM

It was fun watching the draft with my young kids and having to explain what “openly gay” means.

25. thethunderofgunns says: May 10, 2014 7:04 PM

Political and sympathetic grab.

26. smelltheglove2 says: May 10, 2014 7:04 PM

Rad!

27. reptar310 says: May 10, 2014 7:04 PM

I’m a Niners fan, but I’ll be rooting for Michael Sam.

28. emperorzero says: May 10, 2014 7:04 PM

Now lets see if he can play at the NFL level.

29. knew8411 says: May 10, 2014 7:05 PM

Good for him, I wish him nothing bus success….now can we all just get past this whole making a huge deal about his sexual orientation? PLEASE!

30. axespray says: May 10, 2014 7:05 PM

A ton of dudes on that Defensive Line.

Brockers/Langford/Donald/Carrington on the inside.

Long/Hayes/Quinn/Sam on the outside.

That’s easily one of the most loaded defensive lines in the league.

31. wolfies30 says: May 10, 2014 7:06 PM

While they aren’t my team, today I am a fan of the Rams.

32. thetooloftools says: May 10, 2014 7:06 PM

ok… he’s drafted… can they just STOP PLAYING THAT DAMN DRAKE SONG !

33. fievel03 says: May 10, 2014 7:07 PM

The REAL question is will the media now back off of Sam & the Rams and just let them concentrate on football?

34. andrewluck12 says: May 10, 2014 7:08 PM

Congrats mike!

35. haraldsigurdson says: May 10, 2014 7:09 PM

Good luck Michael Sam.

36. vuudu says: May 10, 2014 7:09 PM

It was interesting examining my reaction every time he and his boyfriend kissed. I was uncomfortable however, I realized my uncomfortableness had nothing to do with how I saw the situation but I was rather worried about how the anti gay crowd will via it. It was very brave by ESPN to show that.

37. longsufferingkcfan says: May 10, 2014 7:09 PM

If he would’ve been the last player drafted, this years Mr. Irrevelavnt would be been anything but. Congrats Michael!

38. tennesseeoilers says: May 10, 2014 7:12 PM

Jeff Fisher making history again … The first coach to draft a black QB with a top 10 pick … 1995: Steve McNair, Round 1, 3rd overall pick.

39. stampnhawk says: May 10, 2014 7:12 PM

Rams get a 7th rounder, and a media circus that will be today/the next few days/the first days of camp larger than even Cleveland’s, as well.

Some liberal activists are likely upset that they couldn’t pen some scathing articles directed toward the NFL, though at pick #248 I am sure will still get some faux outrage to try and get some attention from said media)

40. pshrg says: May 10, 2014 7:14 PM

From Seattle: We may be mortal divisional enemies, Rams, but not today. Thanks for giving the kid a chance.

41. blackandbluedivision says: May 10, 2014 7:14 PM

In Teddy We Trust says:
    May 10, 2014 7:03 PM
    _________________

What took you so long?

42. deep64blue says: May 10, 2014 7:14 PM

“he NFL will face some criticism from those who believe that Sam’s sexual orientation kept him from being selected until late on the final day of the draft”

Whereas the reality is he never would have been drafted apart from his sexual orientation, no way the NFL lets him be an UFDA even if that’s what the evaluations say …

43. nfcrulz says: May 10, 2014 7:14 PM

Thank goodness, Tired of hearing about a 7th tound prospect, my goodness!

44. 49erfan44 says: May 10, 2014 7:16 PM

I’m a niners fan and I will not be rooting for Sam. Only because he is a ram though.

45. elmerbrownelmerbrown says: May 10, 2014 7:16 PM

To all the big tough guys on here ,,,how come your straight son didn’t make the NFL ?

46. norwegianwud says: May 10, 2014 7:16 PM

Example of sports actually progressing with our society. Kind of cool to have a team step up and take talent over an irrelevant stigma. I hope this turns into a non-issue and the media just leaves it alone… but that won’t likely happen for a while.

47. rrhoe says: May 10, 2014 7:16 PM

I just wanna see what happens when the Rams make a “football decision”,will they be commended for giving him a chance or destroyed because of his sexual orientation.

48. bengalskuta82 says: May 10, 2014 7:17 PM

Still not sure how this will be handled in the locker. Hope everything goes well for him.

49. defscottyb says: May 10, 2014 7:19 PM

Hometown mercy pick. Won’t make the team but a nice gesture.

50. chargerdillon says: May 10, 2014 7:19 PM

Making headlines for all the wrong reasons…

Proud of this man. He came out when for no reason he didn’t have to and it clearly hurt his draft stock.

Despite it all drafted by a class act coach in Jeff Fisher who will truly give him every chance he deserves to be a productive football talent.

Dude was a stud in college, it’s up to him now to make it or break it.

51. bamboozle99 says: May 10, 2014 7:22 PM

I’m happy he got picked by someone, congratulations. However, I am not so sure I’d want to watch that celebration with the pie involved.

52. supermanium says: May 10, 2014 7:23 PM

The Rams made me proud with this move and I’m glad to be a fan. A team can never have enough pass rushers.

The idiots in this post and elsewhere whining about having to hear about his orientation are just that: idiots, most of whom are too obtuse to realize their comments, in and of themselves, are intolerant.

53. staffordsyear says: May 10, 2014 7:24 PM

So they drafted him thats great..i’m curious to see what happens with the gay community if he cant cut it and he gets..cut. Will there but an uprising by the community that don’t watch football about letting him go because hes gay and not because he just cant play?

54. Gordon says: May 10, 2014 7:25 PM

In Teddy We Trust
    ——————————–

Interesting. What is it like when you are watching the news with your kids and have to explain what murder, rape, genocide and war mean?

Do you complain about having to explain those concepts to your kids?

55. barrywhererufrom says: May 10, 2014 7:25 PM

I hope that we all remember that Sam was a 7th round pick..I wonder if all those other 7th round picks will get the same consideration to make the roster as Sam does. No can would want PC issues to trump the best football player making their team.

56. it's all bs says: May 10, 2014 7:25 PM

Congrats to the Rams and to Michael…..I usually hate the Rams but NOT today!!!!!

57. noffy32 says: May 10, 2014 7:26 PM

Next thing on the NFL network will be “global warming” in football. This kid will be paraded around til he gets cut.

58. rcali says: May 10, 2014 7:26 PM

Ha ha, have to think the Rams got a call from the NFL on this one telling them who they are going to pick!

59. clintblairjr says: May 10, 2014 7:27 PM

Im no softy but seeing how happy this young man was to be drafted to a good team made my eyes water. So happy to be a fan of the NFL take notes NBA!

60. it's all bs says: May 10, 2014 7:27 PM

elmerbrownelmerbrown says:
    May 10, 2014 7:16 PM

_____________________________

Best post of the day^^^^^^

61. tennesseeoilers says: May 10, 2014 7:27 PM

This is a huge story, but I wonder how long it will take the media to figure out his twist:

Evangelical Christian Coach (Jeff Fisher) Drafts First Openly Gay Player

62. blueballz77 says: May 10, 2014 7:27 PM

Now get ready for the Huge backlash when he gets cut. trying to get on a team with a vicious D line. How long before We hear Michael Sam isn’t starting cus he’s gay

63. mediasloppy says: May 10, 2014 7:30 PM

stampnhawk says: May 10, 2014 7:12 PM

————————-
    You’re an idiot. $100 bucks says Rush and those GOP loud mouth personalities will be the ones ranting Faux Outrage.

64. commonsensedude says: May 10, 2014 7:31 PM

That was close! The Gay Mafia was about to whack the entire NFL in retaliation. I guess we have a couple of years before the left starts demanding the first openly gay head coach.

65. tanstewie says: May 10, 2014 7:33 PM

To the 4 or 5 idiots on here that say it was a pr move or a mercy pick or that he’s done nothing to deserve getting drafted…you are morons. You should just really stop watching football. He was the SEC defensive player of the year!!! You know, the SEC?? The best conference in football with the most nfl talent and best defenses. He may only be a special teamer but he certainly earned this opportunity! !! Idiots!!

66. shlort says: May 10, 2014 7:33 PM

Everything from here on out will be followed by the words “because he is gay” . If he doesn’t make the final roster. If he makes the final roster, If he doesn’t play a snap. If he plays a lot of snaps.

I think everyone gets the picture.

From what I saw of Sam, any team that picked him, drafted a project. He was good in a college system where the opposition is, in general, inferior.

Anyway, I thought Rich Eisen was going o vomit when Sam’s boyfriend started kissing on him after he got drafted. Rich looked disgusted.

67. supermanium says: May 10, 2014 7:35 PM

mediasloppy, you win.

68. Wisconsin77 says: May 10, 2014 7:35 PM

Great, now that is all they are talking about on TV now.

69. nyyjetsknicks says: May 10, 2014 7:36 PM

bengalskuta82 says:
    May 10, 2014 7:17 PM

____________________

All of his college teammates knew he was gay and they won 12 games.

70. supermanium says: May 10, 2014 7:37 PM

commonsensedude says:
    May 10, 2014 7:31 PM

________

Change your name. You are anything but commonsensedude.

71. winstonjed44 says: May 10, 2014 7:37 PM

What do you mean he doesn’t deserve the opportunity? It’s not as if this is some 3rd string player the was just handed a spot. He was the SEC player of the year, he was a good player with a high motor. He’s a tweener in terms of size and didn’t have a good combine so I understand why he fell, but it’s not as if he’s a bad prospect.

72. clintblairjr says: May 10, 2014 7:37 PM

In Teddy We Trust says:
    May 10, 2014 7:03 PM
    ——————————————-
    Your a parent its your job to explain things to your kids or do you want them to grow up oblivious to the real world?

73. danpatrickisatool says: May 10, 2014 7:39 PM

Michael and his boyfriend…get a room. That was way overdone, especially the whole cake eating display.

74. bigpinkee says: May 10, 2014 7:39 PM

I am a huge niners fan I am so glad he got drafted but I am also glad it wasn’t us..imagine the ongoing joke of him in sf

75. noffy32 says: May 10, 2014 7:41 PM

Breaking News!!!!! 255 straight guys get drafted!!!

76. nyyjetsknicks says: May 10, 2014 7:41 PM

shlort says:
    May 10, 2014 7:33 PM

I think everyone gets the picture.

__________________

You mean Rich Eisen who lives and works in CA? I’m going to guess that’s not the first same-sex couple kiss that he’s seen.

77. t500000t says: May 10, 2014 7:41 PM

All of his college teammates knew he was gay and they won 12 games.

_____________________________

I admit I haven’t been following the story that closely, but didn’t he just come out this week?

78. cursedvikings1998 says: May 10, 2014 7:45 PM

I’m very happy that Michael Sam got drafted.

The United States of America took a huge step forward today.

Now let’s see if he actually makes the team. He has work to do.

79. bornahawker says: May 10, 2014 7:46 PM

Two things, first Sam will be the first one in and last one out daily, sure to at the least be a special teams standout. Secondly, staying in the state of Missouri was destiny! His true fans are Missourians from his Tiger days and this man could be governor of that state someday. Go Hawks!

80. taintedsaints2009 says: May 10, 2014 7:46 PM

I was really surprised he fell that far. I was thing fifth or sixth.

81. shlort says: May 10, 2014 7:47 PM

danpatrickisatool says:
    May 10, 2014 7:39 PM

__________________________________

I turned the channel when they started kissing. I have nothing against the guy, gay or not, but I don’t need to see two dudes swapping spit on TV.

Did you see Eisen’s reaction to that kissing part? He definitely had a little vomit come up into his mouth there.

Oh, wait.. I am supposed to sit here and write that I enjoyed it even though it disgusted me. Last thing I want is to be labeled as something affiliated with hate. The progressives love to attack those who do not capitulate.

82. t500000t says: May 10, 2014 7:49 PM

The United States of America took a huge step forward today.

———————————————————-
    Dude, seriously?

83. coloradofort says: May 10, 2014 7:49 PM

Do we all get a participation ribbon?

84. supermanium says: May 10, 2014 7:52 PM

t500000t says:
    May 10, 2014 7:41 PM

All of his college teammates knew he was gay and they won 12 games.

_____________________________

_____________

His teammates knew prior to this past season. He made the announcement at a team building exercise. The team went on to win the SEC East. He made a public announcement early in the offseason to get it out of the way. When I mentioned it to my daughter, who is a junior at Mizzou, she informed me that she had known since mid season from one of his Tweets about his “boyfriend”. It was never a secret. It just wasn’t openly discussed until February of this year.

85. supermanium says: May 10, 2014 7:55 PM

danpatrickisatool says:
    May 10, 2014 7:39 PM

____________

If AJ McCarron & Katherine Webb were engaging in the same thing, would you make the same comment? I doubt it.

That is the nature of intolerance.

Now, just take some time thinking. It is probably not something at which you are very accomplished, but let it sink in.

86. spreth1 says: May 10, 2014 7:56 PM

noffy32 says: May 10, 2014 7:41 PM

Breaking News!!!!! 255 straight guys get drafted!!!
    ___________________________________

Statistically speaking, that’s doubtful.

87. it's all bs says: May 10, 2014 7:57 PM

t500000t says:
    May 10, 2014 7:41 PM
    All of his college teammates knew he was gay and they won 12 games.

_____________________________

____________________

he “came out” publicly a few months ago BUT his college team mates were already aware that he was gay and it made no difference to them so……

88. commonsensedude says: May 10, 2014 7:58 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, supermanium, but, no thanks. And please note that I did not say one bad word about Michael Sam himself. Believe it or not, I am happy for him – not because of his sexual orientation but because he, like all the other kids who were drafted this weekend, are getting a chance at starting a career after putting in a lot of work in college.

But there is a mentality amongst many people who proclaim themselves to be “open minded” who can’t help but automatically attack anyone who does not share their perspective. It’s not good enough to agree to disagree about an issue such as same-sex marriage. The “open minded” people want to declare people who disagree as evil, intolerant and deserving of ostracism. And by attacking me for attacking the hypocrisy of the situation, you reveal yourself to be one of these people who say you want everyone to be respected – but only if they agree with you.

I congratulate Michael Sam the young man, regardless of the details of his personal life. But I call out the hypocrisy of the left that seeks to insult everyone who doesn’t share the viewpoints of the LGBT agenda.

89. supermanium says: May 10, 2014 7:59 PM

shlort says:
    May 10, 2014 7:47 PM

______

This is a perfect example of intolerance. Shlort tries to disguise it as some sort of old fashioned thinking. As anyone with a brain is aware, however, old fashioned = intolerant.

Please feel free to turn the channel. Just shut up while you are doing it and don’t poison the world with your venom.

90. osiris33 says: May 10, 2014 8:03 PM

——————–

No. Because we’re dudes. And she’s hot…

91. In Teddy We Trust says: May 10, 2014 8:05 PM

I guess I’m just old-fashioned but I just think it’s nice for kids to be kids without having to be exposed to two men kissing on the sports station. I suppose the rest of you were talking to your kids about this in preschool.

92. doggeatdogg says: May 10, 2014 8:06 PM

His reaction was heartfelt and relieved like he was carrying all that weight on his shoulder. It’s not fair the media has done that to him. Best of luck. The real work begins in training camp because he’s going to have to prove he has the skill set for an NFL spot.

I’m glad it’s done because the days when being ‘gay’ in the NFL and NBA as a novelty piece are over. The next set of events involving all players should not revolve around their race, ethnicity, etc. Done.

93. supermanium says: May 10, 2014 8:12 PM

commonsensedude says:
    May 10, 2014 7:58 PM

_____
    The prototypical right wing nut job answer: “I am just expressing my opinion.” Wrong. You are intolerant and quite frankly, too dim witted to realize it. “Gay Mafia”? What is that? It is you putting your ignorance on display.
    And if pointing out your lack of intelligence and your intolerance of differences is a personal insult, please do take it that way.

94. duffelbagsports says: May 10, 2014 8:14 PM

Congratulations to Michael and anyone drafted…but didn’t it seem like ESPN was exploiting the whole thing? I mean the gay sports bar with dudes dressed up like Cinderella, what’s up with that?

95. shlort says: May 10, 2014 8:16 PM

spreth1 says:
    May 10, 2014 7:56 PM

noffy32 says: May 10, 2014 7:41 PM

Breaking News!!!!! 255 straight guys get drafted!!!
    ___________________________________

Statistically speaking, that’s doubtful.
    ____________________

Statistics do not apply in a game like football. Who employs more gays?

A). The NFL

B). Starbucks coffee houses

C). They employ the same amount.

Football being what it is. does not attract gay men to participate for whatever reason. Probably because of the mentality required to compete is a violent game.

96. wizardburialground says: May 10, 2014 8:21 PM

Let’s see how much of a steal the Rams got in the 7th round, especially if he can play like he did in college.

You have to remember, though, that the media made a big deal of Michael Sam’s sexuality, not Michael Sam. A reporter got wind of Sam’s sexual orientation and threatened to out Sam, which is why Sam came out publicly – so Sam could somewhat control the story before it became a clusterflock.

Remember, too, that the NFL wanted to give him a cam during the draft to follow him around during the draft process and he declined to do so.

Best of luck in the NFL, Michael. Knock ‘em dead, kid – here’s your chance.

- A Seahawks fan

97. defscottyb says: May 10, 2014 8:21 PM

He’s gay… wonderful… next.

98. shlort says: May 10, 2014 8:24 PM

_____________________________

Considering the acceptance of this activity is relatively new, I think I am on the side of right here. Your “new way, and everyone must think as I think or they hate” nonsense is just that.. nonsense.

Personally, I do not care about what people do in the privacy of their own homes and bedrooms. It is none of my business. Why do people like you continually make a point to make it my business?

You talk of intolerance, then you rant on in an intolerant manner against those who do not agree with you. How does that make you any better? Is your fight more worth fighting than the idea that others may have an opinion that differs from yours?

I’ll keep my opinions to myself, and you and the rest of the progressive loons keep their opinions to themselves. How about that? No more talk about it and I won’t say another word about it. Wait, that goes against the agenda to divide people along the lines of what you consider right and wrong. Forget it. I’ll keep saying what I want, and you can keep telling me I hate or whatever. I won’t lose a wink of sleep over it.

99. nyyjetsknicks says: May 10, 2014 8:26 PM

shlort says:
    May 10, 2014 7:47 PM
    danpatrickisatool says:
    May 10, 2014 7:39 PM

__________________________________

_________________

Agreed! They should have shown a fat, heterosexual couple caressing a bible and a gun. ‘Merica

100. drs76109 says: May 10, 2014 8:27 PM

Expected Berman nickname: I am, I AM, SAM I am…

101. dirk504 says: May 10, 2014 8:27 PM

All this attention to a late rounder? Oh yea, being gay makes him relevant…

102. tanstewie says: May 10, 2014 8:28 PM

Shlort- how the hell can u say such a stupid thing. Gays are in every part of society. Sports, the military and everything else you associate with violence or manly activities. Your close minded n ignorant

103. commonsensedude says: May 10, 2014 8:30 PM

Supermanium, since the only responses you are capable of giving are insults and cliches (“right wing nut job” – did you come up with that all by yourself?), I am not particularly concerned with your evaluation of my intelligence. Have a good day.

104. anarchcapitalist says: May 10, 2014 8:33 PM

the bar scene made me cry! Bravo Michael Sam. . . Bravo!

105. shlort says: May 10, 2014 8:37 PM

Well, all of you clowns who want to argue with me over my stance on the gay issue will have to wait. It appears as though certain points of view are not allowed and the censorship of the people who do not want to cheer for Mike Sam has begun.

So, sit around and pat each other on the back and pretend everyone agrees with you. You’ll be wrong though. It may appear that more support exists, but reality is that those with an un-PC point of view are not heard. Makes it easy to think you are on the popular side of the issue that way. More media manipulation.

106. anarchcapitalist says: May 10, 2014 8:37 PM

Was Sam’s cake eating scene an episode of Cake boss?

107. stairwayto7 says: May 10, 2014 8:51 PM

NFL made Rams take him so he stayed in state. Out of league within 2 years

108. barrywhererufrom says: May 10, 2014 8:52 PM

Now back to the Redskins changing their name ..-PC Police

109. the8man says: May 10, 2014 8:53 PM

I think a lot of teams just stayed away because they don’t want a media circus.

The problem with cameras in your locker room shooting one story is that they always get part of another. Wink, wink.

110. spreth1 says: May 10, 2014 9:04 PM

Statistics do not apply in a game like football. Who employs more gays?

A). The NFL

B). Starbucks coffee houses

C). They employ the same amount.
    ———————————————————–

Given that Starbucks has over 150,000 full time employees and the NFL (I’m guessing here) has less than 10,000, I’m going to choose B). I realize I’m applying statistics to determine my answer, though, so I could be wrong, since they apparently don’t apply.

111. duffelbagsports says: May 10, 2014 9:12 PM

Keeping it real you do realize rookies have roommates in training camp. Suppose his roommate disagrees with his lifestyle (let’s say for religious reasons). How do you work that out?

112. tomtravis76 says: May 10, 2014 9:12 PM

Cool. Awesome for the young man to have the courage to put his personal life out there for the close minded to judge. Now, can you play ball on the professional level, that is all football fans care about.

Hope he helps others to be themselves and realize this is a changing world, be you, just don’t be a bad person towards others.

113. nite2al says: May 10, 2014 9:19 PM

You guys act as if he has no skills, SEC Def POY, gotta count for something, besides, it was the 7th round, Rams got a steal.

114. sparty0n says: May 10, 2014 9:29 PM

I’ve posted twice and my posts are removed. Let me say it again, “YAWN”.

Everyone says his sexual preference shouldn’t matter. So, stop reporting on it because, IT DOESNT MATTER. It will be nice when this is a non-story and we can just talk about football and the Lions crappy draft.

115. Shinnbone says: May 10, 2014 9:37 PM

Shinnbone says: May 10, 2014 9:35 PM

Just make sure you know that when he’s cut it’s not because he’s “gay” it’s because he not a very good Football player. I’m 100% positive there will be a backlash when that happens.

116. tomtravis76 says: May 10, 2014 9:58 PM

Shlort,

What is your belief based on as to why you think being gay is wrong? Are you basing your opinions on a book that you were taught had all the rules of life?

Why does it matter to anyone as to which adults choose other adults as their partners? Shouldn’t being a good person to others matter more?

To each his own on their beliefs, but take the time to read more about religion and our planet….1 + 1 doesn’t equal 2 there…and that is facts, not story telling.

117. blueballz77 says: May 10, 2014 10:05 PM

After reading all these comments Supermanium You are wrong you are attacking and insulting everyone who expressed how they feel good or bad cus you don’t agree isn’t that what you stand for You don’t realize your liberalism sounds Ultra Ultra conservative. I’m sure you’ll have something Petty and uppity to say because I did “agree” with you. but Commonsense Has a point

118. gjdodger2 says: May 10, 2014 10:16 PM

spreth1 says:
    May 10, 2014 7:56 PM

noffy32 says: May 10, 2014 7:41 PM

Breaking News!!!!! 255 straight guys get drafted!!!
    ___________________________________

Statistically speaking, that’s doubtful.
    ____________________

Statistics do not apply in a game like football. Who employs more gays?

A). The NFL

B). Starbucks coffee houses

C). They employ the same amount.

Many, many gay athletes. Nature vs nurture is an old argument but the best athletes are segregated early and spend all their time in close proximity to people of their own age and gender. To suggest there are fewer of them in violent sports is a preposterous stereotype. You ever heard of gay biker gangs?

119. beerndrums says: May 10, 2014 10:28 PM

This clown will be lucky to make the practice squad.PR move by the Rams is all this is

120. simonator917 says: May 10, 2014 10:29 PM

It was an excellent pick all around: Sam went to school in Missouri so he has a following there, and this way Sam has a close support system. Go Sam. Go get ‘em!

121. cursedvikings1998 says: May 10, 2014 10:48 PM

Wow lots of hatred and venom toward the gays here. And lots of double standards as well.

I bet all those bigots who were praying he wouldn’t get drafted are crying in their beer tonight!

122. trollhammer20 says: May 10, 2014 11:43 PM

The greatest trophy in the game we Americans know as football is named after Vince Lombardi.

Vince Lombardi’s brother, Hal, was gay.

Lombardi loved his brother, and preached tolerance long before it was fashionable or politically correct. He knew he had gay players, protected them from those in the locker room who would do them harm, and had gay people working in his front office.

The only thing that Vince Lombardi would be disappointed about what happened today is that it took so long to finally happen.

America. Freedom. Heck yeah.

123. 4thqtrsaint says: May 10, 2014 11:57 PM

I hope stadiums kick out any fan who makes a slur at this guy. They will be drunk & it will happen. When it does, kick them out.

124. daddy619 says: May 11, 2014 12:59 AM

He won’t be playing in any nfl stadium

125. steelcurtainn says: May 11, 2014 3:32 AM

Good luck with that rams. Sorry, honestly, but thats not going to work in the locker room.

126. tominma says: May 11, 2014 6:21 AM

Im glad he for drafted. Any player that earns the SEC honors he did is probly a pretty good player . Now he’ll get to see if he can made a NFL team.

Too bad the media is making such a big deal out of it!!!

127. rationalitybias says: May 11, 2014 8:53 AM

Too bad Jackie Robinson didn’t play before Moses Fleetwood Walker or his brother.

128. sburn33 says: May 11, 2014 9:14 AM

Do defensive linemen cover tight ends?

129. tominma says: May 11, 2014 9:25 AM

I don’t profess to be an expert in evaluating football talent. It DOES confuse me that a man with the talent to become the SEC defensive player of the year “doesn’t have the talent” to make it in the NFL! I know his size is an issue but…….

I could understand it easier if he came from a non-competitive conference. but he played in the SEC!!!!! It’s probly the best football conference in NCAA football!

130. racefanbill says: May 11, 2014 10:10 AM

Not opened minded. Not liberal. Not politically correct. And it is a free country. I hope he gets cut and the Rams go 0-16.

131. romosrevenge says: May 11, 2014 8:04 PM

As television spectacle, the first two days of the draft were boring IMO. Accordingly, I didn’t see day 3 or the moment when Sam and BF bussed after Sam was selected. Another poster has said that no other 7th rounder was filmed getting congratulated. My question is how many times did ESPN instant replay it? In slow mo?

132. salvi18 says: May 14, 2014 3:58 PM

Ok, so he’s gay, who cares. He was picked in the 7th round because that’s what he is, a seventh round talent. All the awards he won were journalist awards which mean nothing. I hope he turns out to be a great player. I don’t want to hear about the gay thing anymore, to each his own but that draft day kiss was a little over the top, no need to make that point we already know. One of my teammates in College was gay and the guy let his playing do the talking and he is also fed up with all the attention this guy is getting because of his sexual preference.