Seahawks’ nine-man UDFA class includes son of Jim Jeffcoat

JacksonJeffcoat Getty Images

After the 2014 draft ended, the defending Super Bowl champions signed an undrafted rookie free agent whose father won a couple of Super Bowl rings during his NFL career.

Joining the Seahawks is Jackson Jeffcoat. The former Texas defensive end is the son of former Cowboys and Bills defensive end Jim Jeffcoat, who won championships with Dallas in 1992 and 1993.

Despite speculation that Jackson Jeffcoat would be moved to linebacker at the next level, the Seahawks list him as a defensive end, at least for now.

Also joining the Seahawks via the undrafted free-agency route were USC safety Dion Bailey, Montana linebacker Brock Coyle, Central Arkansas tight end Chase Dixon, Penn State tackle Garry Gilliam, Oklahoma guard Bronson Irwin, South Carolina cornerback Jimmy LeGree, Washington quarterback Keith Price, and Eastern Washington defensive tackle Andru Pulu.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
16 Responses to “Seahawks’ nine-man UDFA class includes son of Jim Jeffcoat”
  1. 4thqtrsaint says: May 11, 2014 1:07 AM

Saints added 19 UDFAs hours ago. You guys must be passed out from exhaustion.

2. beastmode5150 says: May 11, 2014 1:09 AM

Hawks make hay in UDFA.

3. kinglouie253 says: May 11, 2014 1:10 AM

Go hawks! Hopefully a couple of these guys will pan out because the niners have made ALOT of great moves

4. tacomatiger says: May 11, 2014 1:49 AM

I dont get keith price… we already have a great #2 qb with tjack. Most teams would settle with pryor as a #2. Either price or pryor would make a fine #3, someone is changing positions

5. seahawkfanfrom1970s says: May 11, 2014 1:59 AM

It almost feels like just yesterday that his dad was drafted by Dallas.

6. rwhite84 says: May 11, 2014 3:00 AM

He has the right size, speed, and he was successful in college, why change his position? He’s at his best as an edge rusher.

7. billybone says: May 11, 2014 5:15 AM

UDFA are the best. The odds are against them with little hope but then the likes of Doug Baldwin (aka Angry Doug) and all the other great UDFA that have also had success in the NFL and it make the NFL so amazing.

Sometimes the size of the chip on ones shoulder is greater than all others combine tangibles.

8. Largent#80 says: May 11, 2014 5:19 AM

I like the Price signing. He can develop into a decent backup.

9. kamthechancellor says: May 11, 2014 8:18 AM

I don’t see how Price makes the team with Pryor and Tjax there. Unless they’re thinking of moving on from Jackson, who is well regarded in the locker room, I don’t see the point.

10. gaper9999 says: May 11, 2014 8:52 AM

Wait…Jackson Jeffcoat, an All-American, Big-12 Defensive POY, Hendricks award winner, with NFL measurables, and NFL bloodlines didn’t get drafted? This guy played through significant injuries and played well at that. However, he is also a tweener, and a lesson for the media, PC crowd and non-football fans that only followed the draft this year because of the Michael Sam storyline…great college performance/production doesn’t translate to being a draft pick in the NFL

11. thekingdave says: May 11, 2014 9:15 AM

Jeffcoat not getting drafted is a complete joke

12. seahawksbmx says: May 11, 2014 10:31 AM

I saw this guy was projected to go somewhere in the 3rd-5th round. To get him for free was a steal. I think he has a great shot to make the team; practice squad at worst.

13. themackstrong says: May 11, 2014 10:51 AM

Keith Price more than likely makes our practice squad and can develop. BJ Daniels is also there so competition is going to be stiff. Even though I like T Jack as a back-up he is 31 years old.

NFC West had a great draft in my eyes. At first I wasn’t feeling great about our Richardson pick maybe only because Cody Latimer was still sitting there but the speed dynamic he could bring to our team is huge. Jackson Jeffcoat sounds like a perfect LEO prospect to me, thanks for sharing the knowledge because I don’t watch much college ball.

14. realitycheckbaby says: May 11, 2014 1:18 PM

Seattle is so far ahead pf the rest of the league it’s scary.

15. hickson88 says: May 11, 2014 11:08 PM

It’s all about competition!!!! GO HAWKS!!!!

16. seadawgs72 says: May 12, 2014 1:56 AM

Correct me if I’m wrong but i believe Jermaine kearse was another UDFA that has turned into a major contributor & i believe he can become a star wr in the NFL. Those of us in the northwest might be the only people that are really familiar worth him being that he played his college ball at Udub & his pro ball with the hawks. Maybe I’m incorrect & he was drafted in the Kaye rounds but I’ll almost sure he was a “walk on” for Seattle.