Skip to content

Panthers moving Charles Godfrey to cornerback

New Orleans Saints tight end Jimmy Graham is tackled by Carolina Panthers strong safety Charles Godfrey during an NFL football game in Charlotte Reuters

Last week, the Panthers took away most of Charles Godfrey’s money.

Now, they’re giving him a new address.

Via Bill Voth of Black and Blue Review, Panthers General Manager Dave Gettleman said Godfrey’s going to compete for a roster spot as a cornerback.

Godfrey played cornerback in college, and figured to be in play for the nickel job, but the Panthers are covering up his path with other alternatives in case he’s slow to recover from last year’s torn Achilles.

They signed veteran safeties Roman Harper and Thomas DeCoud, then used a fourth-rounder on Tre Boston.

At corner, they signed veteran Antoine Cason, and have an odd lot of spare parts competing for the other job including Melvin White. They also used their fifth-rounder on Bene Benwikere, who could end up playing nickel as well.

The reality is, Godfrey’s competing for a job. He’s physical enough, and a smart player. But it if he doesn’t get back to his old speed, he’s going to struggle to earn playing time, or a job.

Permalink 5 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill
5 Responses to “Panthers moving Charles Godfrey to cornerback”
  1. qdog112 says: May 12, 2014 9:15 AM

    The fact is, that every secondary position is open for competition on the Panthers. Nobody has a spot.

    Only pressure from Gettleman to play the people he signed, can derail actual competition. If they have to earn spots, Godfrey has as much chance as anybody at starting at safety or CB, injury notwithstanding.

    When the roster is blown up like Carolina, nobody knows how the depth chart will shake out.

  2. barsfordays says: May 12, 2014 9:25 AM

    Robert Lester should start at SS and let DeCoud/Harper compete for the other spot.

  3. sandersmarcus10 says: May 12, 2014 10:30 AM

    Should have drafted a DB higher in the draft

  4. jgedgar70 says: May 12, 2014 1:38 PM

    I’m confident that our secondary is improved – and it wasn’t bad last year. The spots were taken by players most people were unfamiliar with, and as we all know, there is that “I haven’t heard of you, therefore you suck” rule that almost all fans live by.

    Our WR group is also fine. Steve Smith’s competitive fire will be missed, but going just on total talent as a unit, Benjamin, Cotchery, Avant and Underwood is better than Smith, LaFell, Ginn and Hixon.

    Our defensive front 7, among the best in the NFL, is completely intact. We still have the running backs from last year with some depth added.

    Our only worry is O-line, where we lost guys to retirement. We added a couple pieces to increase depth, but have no obvious candidate for left tackle.

    So it appears that the predictions of gouing from 12-4 to 4-12 were grossly exaggerated.

  5. nonyt says: May 12, 2014 7:17 PM

    “So it appears that the predictions of gouing from 12-4 to 4-12 were grossly exaggerated.”

    You’d better hope so!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!