Dez Bryant says he’s in the best shape of his life

Dez Bryant AP

Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant says an offseason of hard work has already translated to the best physical conditioning of his life, and is going to translate to the best season of his career.

I am in the best shape that I’ve ever been,” Bryant told ESPNDallas.com.

Bryant has been seen at NBA games and has traveled this offseason, but his workouts have never suffered.

“Trust me, I’ve been working hard,” Bryant said. “I’ve been working six days out of the week. Today is my off day, but I’m going to the facility right now. That’s all I’ve been doing. This year is special.”

Bryant is already one of the best receivers in the NFL, with two straight seasons of more than 90 catches, more than 1,200 yards and 12-plus touchdowns. If Bryant is in even better shape now than he was in the last two years, that’s very good news for the Cowboys.

Permalink 58 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
58 Responses to “Dez Bryant says he’s in the best shape of his life”
  1. youtubeingravenvids says: May 15, 2014 1:44 PM

This sure isn’t a statement we hear from players every year!!

2. dirtydrynn27 says: May 15, 2014 1:45 PM

And the Cowboys are all of a sudden SB bound right? Let the Dallas hype begin in 5 4 3 2 1……..

3. wisespeakersays says: May 15, 2014 1:48 PM

#DezBryantOwnsMidgetron

4. thestrategyexpert says: May 15, 2014 1:48 PM

Now all he needs to do is figure out what team to play for if things don’t work out with Dallas. You see a lot of big named WRs in this league that don’t go to the playoffs or win SBs, and I doubt that’s something that Dez Bryant is going to be cool with. The Cowboys need to win or he needs to get out of Dallas. But they will be approaching him with a contract extension before the season starts since this is his last year, so it should be interesting to see how confident Dez is in the shape of the team and if he will charge them a premium.

5. natelan69 says: May 15, 2014 1:48 PM

Just another slightly-above-average receiver. Romo is SO MUCH BETTER than most people give credit to. As a Chargers fan, if we didn’t have Mr. God (Rivers) himself, I would LOVE to have Romo!

6. petecarrolmorelikecheatpayroll says: May 15, 2014 1:49 PM

So in other words, he’s doing what he’s paid to do?

7. toddm1016 says: May 15, 2014 1:50 PM

Contract year

8. swaggyy says: May 15, 2014 1:56 PM

It’s a shame that Dez has to waste away his career playing for a losing franchise like the Dallas Cowboy’s

9. norseyapper says: May 15, 2014 1:57 PM

His body being out of shape hasn’t really been the problem has it?
    Now if he could somehow brag that he was giving the cheese whiz between his ears a good workout, perhaps then we could be impressed.

10. logicalvoiceslogicalvoice says: May 15, 2014 1:57 PM

Welcome to Philly Mr. Bryant.

11. johnodocks says: May 15, 2014 1:57 PM

The best news is that this is the only news I’ve read about Dez all off season.

12. fundamentals425 says: May 15, 2014 1:57 PM

People blast GM Jerry, but when he hits he hits. You knew Dez was hyped, and then you see those numbers and know why.

13. readysethike says: May 15, 2014 1:59 PM

he sure needs to be when he’s running all those routes and Weeden can’t throw him the ball. He’ll need to be in good shape when he has to constantly run back to the ball

14. zam0854 says: May 15, 2014 2:00 PM

BUT your QB is in the worst shape of his life. And your running back depth chart has more holes in it than Andy Reid’s gameday underwear. So regardless of what shape your in, you will be playing from behind the whole season.

#RG3 Numbers

15. trollaikman8 says: May 15, 2014 2:00 PM

This has more credibility than Miles Austin saying his hamstrings are stronger than ever.

16. surfinbird1 says: May 15, 2014 2:01 PM

Bet you’re not 110%.

17. thetruthcampaign says: May 15, 2014 2:02 PM

Is he 110% or 125% or what??

18. politicallyincorrect says: May 15, 2014 2:04 PM

extremely overrated player; my team does not seem to have much trouble handling him

great match for Cowboys

19. sportzpig says: May 15, 2014 2:05 PM

Too bad Romo/Orton/Weeden is your QB..

Oh, and that Jerrah is your GM…

20. footballtalk1 says: May 15, 2014 2:09 PM

Stay healthy Dez. Keep that back strong. #INJURYFREE

21. bearshaterseverywhere says: May 15, 2014 2:10 PM

Crybaby Dez, no one cares!

22. bennyb82 says: May 15, 2014 2:10 PM

I’d like to see Romo throw the ball Bryant’s way more this season. Bryant is like Calvin Johnson in that he is still able to make plays even when he is covered.

23. trollingforjustice says: May 15, 2014 2:18 PM

did he just replay that from the past 3yrs?

24. bluenose1965 says: May 15, 2014 2:26 PM

Physically fit Dez?

How about mentally fit?

25. nickinneohio says: May 15, 2014 2:26 PM

When “Dez does” exceeds “Dez sez” We will then see the full potential we’ve all been waiting for.

26. 1harrypairatesties says: May 15, 2014 2:28 PM

It won’t matter how good a shape you’re in. Tony Romo is still your quarterback. No playoffs for you!

27. curbprophet says: May 15, 2014 2:29 PM

The part of this statement that stands out to me is that “this is a special year”,speaks volumes !!! True greatness strives for greatness always ! in every moment, in everything ! not just when its time to get paid. smh

28. itstulwutup says: May 15, 2014 2:44 PM

Man I can cover Dez Bryant… 8-) !!!

29. conormacleod says: May 15, 2014 3:00 PM

So is Calvin Johnson. And they will both be home for the playoffs, just like us.

30. tripsz says: May 15, 2014 3:18 PM

1) Calvin Johnson
    2) Dez Bryant
    3) Everyone else

31. jayovalentine says: May 15, 2014 3:19 PM

DeAngelo Hall just yawned.

32. malab377 says: May 15, 2014 3:21 PM

The problem will be the same with Dez. 12 catches, 150 yards, 2 TDs in a game, then he disappears for 2 games.

33. dycenyne says: May 15, 2014 3:22 PM

Dez makes Megatron look like a child. Dez dat boy!!!

34. wolff111 says: May 15, 2014 3:26 PM

“I’ve been working six days out of the week. Today is my off day

– yeah right!

35. shatho1 says: May 15, 2014 3:32 PM

Welcome to Philly Mr. Bryant.

lololol!!! don’t u wish. ha ha ha

36. medialovesthecowboys says: May 15, 2014 3:34 PM

Dez is a beast. A model teammate and wants to win more than anything else. Anyone who says otherwise is not watching every Cowboys game and is certainly not aware of what’s really going on. Good kid. And I hope he does well.

37. 668jbyrd says: May 15, 2014 3:37 PM

I can understand not liking Dez because he plays for the Cowboys or his past offseason conduct. However, to suggest that he is overrated is truly an asinine statement. He’s one of the top 5 receivers in the entire league.

38. dbones641 says: May 15, 2014 3:41 PM

I mean i love dez bryant, and i believe he’s a top 5 wide receiver in the NFL, but what’s he supposed to say, that he hasn’t been working hard in the off season?..I dont think so?

39. deltaoracle says: May 15, 2014 3:43 PM

So when they lose a big lead late in the game, he’ll be able to sprint off the field with even more time left on the clock!

40. dannersthemanners says: May 15, 2014 4:07 PM

And que Trent Dilfer talking about how the Cowboys are soooooo talented….Soooo annoying.

41. luvmnsports2012 says: May 15, 2014 4:24 PM

Jeez this guy is almost worse than Owens! Every year it’s something! Hashtag get over yourself!!

42. punkrock21 says: May 15, 2014 4:56 PM

This 8-8 season is special!

43. davikes says: May 15, 2014 5:17 PM

There are only a few teams who wouldn’t instantly trade their #1 for Dez. Detroit, Denver, Atlanta, Cincy, Chicago. Colston has equivalent talent, but I would take Dez just because he has healthy knees.

44. 668jbyrd says: May 15, 2014 5:24 PM

People will continue to try and find negativity in ANY story involving Dez. He can do no right in haters’ eyes. Get over your selves!

45. bigbenh8tr says: May 15, 2014 5:25 PM

zam0854 says:
    May 15, 2014 2:00 PM

#RG3 Numbers
    ________________________________
    Sorry for Romo will never have more turnovers than TDs in a season

46. boudinhider says: May 15, 2014 5:48 PM

This guy has got talent I’d love to see what he’d do in a proper organization with better head coaching and management. Same goes for Romo and Witten, another system and they may have a few rings by now. I wonder what the players think when they see former coaches like Payton and Ryan winning in other cities.

47. firstdownpunt says: May 15, 2014 7:19 PM

When hes focused, he’s a monster. When he’s not, hes still pretty damn good.

48. cguy7 says: May 15, 2014 7:39 PM

He better be because they have -0- defense…

49. boyzfantildeath83 says: May 15, 2014 7:52 PM

A lot of people talk about dez’s outbursts, and his temper and yes walking off the field was the wrong thing to do. But over the last couple seasons I have watched him mature greatly to become a leader. Last season when one of these so called “outbursts” was caught on tape and it showed that Dez Bryant was actually trying to pump his team up with positive motivation. And was followed by multiple apologies to Dez For judging him without the knowledge of the situation By th e media. Dez loves his boys and he loves to win and I don’t know about anybody else but that’s the kind of guy I would want on my team if I was playing. He strives for greatness and expect the same from his teammates which is the right move

50. jacunn2000 says: May 15, 2014 7:53 PM

We will never go anywhere with Romo and Garrett.

Struggling 40 year Dallas fan.

51. boyzfantildeath83 says: May 15, 2014 8:00 PM

I only wish Jerry Jones would hire a coach that has the same kind of fire for the Dallas Cowboys. I believe that our players have a lot of work to do but I don’t believe that our losing seasons are solely on our players I believe it is on our coach who has horrible play calling abilities. I remember multiple times last season yelling at my TV begging to call a run play but for whatever reason he wouldn’t. I just hope that Jason Garrett has done some studying in this offseason and gives his team the opportunity to be as great as I believe they can be.

52. zack2482 says: May 15, 2014 8:14 PM

Once the 5.5 mil comes back from Austin dropping off the cap, expect Dez to sign a long term contract.

53. stonefish67 says: May 15, 2014 9:10 PM

Physically he says he is OK
    How about between the EARS.
    All kinds of ?????????? I would guess

54. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: May 15, 2014 9:31 PM

Little doubt Dez can be a beast if Romo will get him the ball. Hopefully the new offensive play caller from the Lions will make sure Dez is featured more.

55. titusyoungslegalcounsel says: May 15, 2014 9:48 PM

Sammy Watkins> Dez Bryant

56. firerogergoodellnow says: May 15, 2014 9:48 PM

What do the Tampa Bay Bucs, Oakland Raiders and Jacksonville Jaguars have in common?

They all have more playoff wins in the last 15 years than the Dallas Cowboys!

57. thornziegler says: May 15, 2014 11:10 PM

Tom Brady will make him the next coming of Randy Moss.
    A receiver like Dez is the missing piece in New England. The D is stronger, the O-line and D-line have gotten a boost in the draft.
    He knows it, and he wants that bling. It’s his for the taking. Just take that call from The Hoodie and you’re golden, son!
    And you know it too, haters.

58. mychode says: May 15, 2014 11:25 PM

According to the photo the cowboys have finally found an answer at the qb position.