Aldon Smith: 49ers support me, and they wouldn’t if I was a thug

Aldon Smith AP

Aldon Smith, the talented but troubled 49ers outside linebacker, says the team continues to support him because the people who know him know he’s a good person.

The 49ers have supported me,” Smith told CSNBayArea.com. “As you can see, the option [for the 2015 season] got picked up. And if I was a thug or something, I don’t think they’d take those chances.”

The 24-year-old Smith is one of the best pass rushers in the NFL, but incidents ranging from drunk driving to weapons charges to allegedly making a bomb threat at an airport have led to some talk that the team might have no choice but to get rid of him. Smith, however, says there are misperceptions about what kind of man he is.

“I’m a good person, and the people who know me know I’m a good person,” Smith said. “Maybe after this is over, you can tell your friends I’m a good person. Anybody who hangs around me can tell that. A lot of these things are being painted in a picture that’s not true.”

It’s possible that legal issues or NFL discipline will keep Smith out of a 49ers uniform when the season starts. But for now, Smith feels good about having the 49ers’ support.

Permalink 64 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
64 Responses to “Aldon Smith: 49ers support me, and they wouldn’t if I was a thug”
  1. corvetteman6 says: May 17, 2014 7:15 AM

Sure. Totally believable. The NFLPA is a fraternity of idiots. Why should anyone be surprised.

2. mrbigass says: May 17, 2014 7:16 AM

Dude, if you were not a stud player you would be gone.

You are not very bright but the fact that you can play football trumps all……..

3. taskforcefreddy says: May 17, 2014 7:17 AM

Ummm… Yes they would because character means very little in that organization. They support you because you destroy left tackles.

4. 700levelvet says: May 17, 2014 7:23 AM

Lab rats have a higher IQ…

5. metalhead65 says: May 17, 2014 7:23 AM

they support you because you happen to be a very good football player. it has nothing to do with what kind of person you are, they just do not want to release you and have another team pick you up. you might decide to stop doing stupid things off the field and be a even better player.

6. luciussanford says: May 17, 2014 7:27 AM

You meant to say, “If I was a guy who couldn’t rush the passer, I they wouldn’t take those chances on me .”

7. vincespowersweep says: May 17, 2014 7:30 AM

I guess Mr. Smith has a different idea of what a “good person” is than most people.

8. jjb0811 says: May 17, 2014 7:31 AM

The only the kept you is because you sack qb’s.

9. jnbnet says: May 17, 2014 7:32 AM

Next, he’ll be telling us how classy he is

10. dennisatunity says: May 17, 2014 7:39 AM

Let’s see. You have 3 felony charges dealing with weapons when gang members crashed a party at your house and you got stabbed. You have a DUI charge. You made a bomb threat at LAX. You were just able to buy still one more postponement on your May 12 trial. I think that it just might be possible the 49ers are supporting you because you have 42 sacks in 43 games, rather than what a sweetie pie you are.

11. jayhawk6 says: May 17, 2014 7:44 AM

Well, nobody has ever said he is Richie Incognito redux, but that repeatedly displayed lack of common sense…

12. kenstabler says: May 17, 2014 7:52 AM

Your the bomb!!!

13. keeppounding says: May 17, 2014 7:53 AM

He wouldn’t have any class if you could buy it in the store

14. grantsbuds says: May 17, 2014 7:55 AM

Dumb Donald should stick to Cosby messages.

15. dacktle49 says: May 17, 2014 7:57 AM

Ok the 9ers should just cut their losses and release him then your team can pick him up and you can still judge his mistakes from your couch? Not a chance, you hypocrites would welcome him with open arms! BTW Remind me again of his convictions?

16. hawkstradamus says: May 17, 2014 8:00 AM

I knew aldon was dumb, but I didn’t know he was frank gore dumb (wonderlic score of 6). The Santa Clara 49ers don’t continue to support him because they think he’s a good person. They will live with the fact that he is a terrible dysfunctional self distructive and dangerous person for the simple fact that he is one of the best pass rushers in the league, and that’s the only reason. Otherwise tim tebow would be a third string QB somewhere.

17. 80sbroncofan says: May 17, 2014 8:05 AM

They support you because you were a first round draft pick. If you were a 3rd – 7th round pick then you would be gone.

18. officialgame says: May 17, 2014 8:08 AM

Dumb doesn’t even begin to describe a statement like that. The dude must live in a cloud.

19. mrlaloosh says: May 17, 2014 8:21 AM

You don’t have to be a member of Mensa to sack a quarterback. Obviously.

20. acousticphan says: May 17, 2014 8:21 AM

Al Capone thought he was a good person, too.

But you go ahead and keep knocking your skull around. There’s obviously little damage to be done at this point.

21. abninf says: May 17, 2014 8:30 AM

Actions speak louder than words to the media for damage control.

22. 9erandraiderfan says: May 17, 2014 8:32 AM

People… Please understand that playing professional sports is not like high school or college ball where playing is regarded as a privilege contingent on the likes of getting decent grads and being a good kid. This is pro-ball and if can get to the QB you have a damn job. It’s the ownerships risk in paying a guy boatloads of money and there’s a risk that his off the field issues will hinder him from doing his job on the field. I would presume that most pro organizations will keep an all-pro around even though he’s a knucklehead.

23. cguy7 says: May 17, 2014 8:32 AM

The key to a great lie – is that you believe it. Man this guy is delusional…

24. nflofficeadmin says: May 17, 2014 8:41 AM

We all need love.

25. sonofsamadams says: May 17, 2014 8:45 AM

They support you because you produce. If you were a bottom of the roster player they’d have made an example out of you and then Harbaugh would have given some jive turkey gobble gobble speech about being above reproach.

26. thegonz13 says: May 17, 2014 8:50 AM

No, dude. Like everyone said before, they’re keeping you around because you’re a very good pass rusher…. when your head is on straight.

Trust me on this. If you were a third-stringer, you would be flipping burgers at McDonald’s by now. They’re not keeping you around because you’re a model citizen, OK?

27. seatownballers says: May 17, 2014 8:54 AM

He still doesn’t get it

28. ctiggs says: May 17, 2014 8:55 AM

Get it together Aldon. #goniners #nobodyhasitbetter

29. u4iadman says: May 17, 2014 8:58 AM

Pats were also delusional with a player named Hernandez.

30. tv426 says: May 17, 2014 8:59 AM

This guy is so bat s&$# crazy he likely sleeps hanging upside down.

31. greymares says: May 17, 2014 9:01 AM

Good person does not translate to smart person. You sir are one of the DUMBEST people in the N.F.L.

32. tacomatiger says: May 17, 2014 9:03 AM

Aldon, Mickey mouse wants his gloves back

33. thetruthcampaign says: May 17, 2014 9:09 AM

No. They wouldn’t support you if you weren’t good at football.

34. tdshouldbeinthehall says: May 17, 2014 9:10 AM

Like a lot of people with a alcohol addiction he’s probably a good person sober but then he drinks and become a completely different person. I hope he finds the strength to give it up before it destroys his life. You don’t make a bomb threat in an airport if you are sober. Get back to rehab young man.

35. drsummeroff says: May 17, 2014 9:14 AM

LMAO! What an obtuse piece of 49ers flotsam! He doesn’t understand.

36. higheriqthanyou says: May 17, 2014 9:21 AM

Bad news for Santa Clara fans.

Translation: I’m above normal people and should be allowed to keep screwing up because in my mind, I’ve done nothing wrong.

After all, how many of us don’t know one or two “good people” who’ve been stabbed, face multiple weapons charges, got a DUI for running their car into a tree while blasted and heading to work, and made bomb threats at airports?

37. 1rockyracoon says: May 17, 2014 9:28 AM

He does not speak like a man who is in the process of changing his life. People deserve a second chance, however, they need to realize they need to change. It appears Aldon “Shoot Your Guns in the Air Like You Just Don’t Care” has not learned much from his mistakes.

38. 1pwrightt says: May 17, 2014 9:52 AM

The Patriots thought Aaron Hernandez was a good guy until he was charged with those two murders. One even slightly bad year and watch how fast the 49er’s turn on you and suddenly you become a nuisance.

39. milkcan44 says: May 17, 2014 10:24 AM

I wasn’t aware that he’s the lovechild of Mother Teresa and Mahatma Gandhi.

40. beastmode5150 says: May 17, 2014 10:51 AM

As a Seahawks fan, part of me wanted them to cut him, as he is a really good player. Now that I have thought about it, I want them to keep him, as the constant distractions that are building for Santa Clara/San Pedro are just too rich. The Santa Clara/San Pedro 49ers are in a free fall.

41. dstep24 says: May 17, 2014 11:06 AM

And please stop saying he’s one of the best pass rushers in the game. He’s completely ineffective without Justin Smith. That’s just a fact.

42. wininer says: May 17, 2014 11:12 AM

All you bashing Aldon in this thread are media driven sheep. Dude had a party, bought some guns legally, and lipped off to the TSA.

There is no proof he said the word Bomb with the TSA but there is proof that he was calm and not behaving abnormally, and there is audio to back both claims up. The charges will be dropped.

The guns were purchased legally and he was ignorant of the law that in CA they required alteration. The charges will likely be dropped, severely reduced at the minimum.

The thing he ia most guilty of is drunk driving, which is serious indeed, but something 50% of you bashing him are guilty of as well.

Congrats on being media driven sheep.

43. redandgoldhitman52 says: May 17, 2014 11:42 AM

whers all the stupid talk about 1st amendment , 2nd amendment. thats all i saw on the woman beater from the panthers. but Aldon Smith, suspend him for years and throw him in prison. hypocrites.

44. killitandeatit says: May 17, 2014 11:47 AM

I have only watched one interview of Aldon,it was on a local station. There was nothing that justifies all the trolling and assumptions by 95% of the posters. The guy really had a great interview,engaging and he is actually quite intelligent .If he couldn’t play he would not be in the NFL. The NFL does not pay a player millions of dollars because they are a “good guy”. The only thing I will not minimize is the( D.U. I.) he was stone cold convicted of. If Aldon was on your team would you seriously want him dropped and available to another team ? I guess with his guns and standing up to the T.S.A. most of you believe him to be some kind of giant black terrorist. Maybe your just afraid of what he can do to your quarter back from his defensive end position.

45. brend0 says: May 17, 2014 11:49 AM

Stay classy Santa Clara.

46. osiris33 says: May 17, 2014 12:00 PM

Yeah because “good” people shoot up parties, get busted on multiple gun charges, get stabbed in knife fights with gang members, end up blackout drunk with their car up against a tree and their foot on the gas, then go back to drinking and get arrested for making felony terroristic bomb threats at airports. Happens to the best of us.

47. toddm1016 says: May 17, 2014 12:06 PM

The 49ers support you because you can sack the quarterback. No other reason.

48. mickmars says: May 17, 2014 12:31 PM

Yes sir Aldon,you’re a veritable pillar of society!!! I know I’ve been in a few knife fights,I’m always stumbling through airports mumbling bomb threats,and am affiliated with all the local gangbangers when I’m not teaching Sunday school or working at the local soup kitchen…….

49. jmc8888 says: May 17, 2014 12:35 PM

Screw up again, and we’ll see if they still support you.

50. cguy7 says: May 17, 2014 12:39 PM

He’s a great guy until he takes down somebody in your family… He’s obviously more than a few fries short of a happy meal. Quit blaming the media and rationale people for your player’s shortcomings. Smith, Brooks, and Culliver would all be in jail if they weren’t in the NFL…

51. mcmccii says: May 17, 2014 12:49 PM

“I’m a good person”
    If you have to say that, you probably aren’t a good person. Words mean nothing, actions do.

52. Brinke says: May 17, 2014 1:08 PM

he’s a knucklehead. I am a staunch Niners fan, and I woulda cut him right now.

53. kamthechancellor says: May 17, 2014 1:08 PM

Can’t wait for the impending frisco implosion. It’s coming. Tick…tock…tick…tock…

54. piratefreedom says: May 17, 2014 1:17 PM

Has anyone pointed out that he still has a job despite his personal failing only because he is freakishly talented at rushing the QB ?

If not, then let me be the first to explain this mysterious secret.

55. jvibottomline says: May 17, 2014 2:18 PM

I like this guy. He’s young and dumb but there is something really likeable about him. He seems like a really team oriented superstar.

56. hoss408 says: May 17, 2014 3:05 PM

Haha. This guy is hilarious. Oh, wait, Aldon was serious?

57. niner13 says: May 17, 2014 3:22 PM

The takeaway is that despite a suspension, he’ll be back by Thanksgiving. That’s what matters.

58. raidersownyou says: May 17, 2014 4:22 PM

They support you because you are a star player. They don’t care about the other stuff.

59. hopper15 says: May 17, 2014 4:42 PM

He’s had problems with alcohol. He needs help, no doubt about that. That doesn’t make him a bad person.

60. melikefootball says: May 17, 2014 7:19 PM

It shows the 49ERS don’t hold anyone accountable for their actions.

61. hendeeze says: May 17, 2014 8:15 PM

look at all the bitter fans mad he didn’t get released so their team would sign him.

62. simonator917 says: May 17, 2014 10:37 PM

============
    You forgot to mention that his car drove ITSELF into that tree and then made it appear as if Smith was drunk so it wouldn’t be blamed.

63. bolvi says: May 17, 2014 10:46 PM

A lot of pathetic hypocrites posting today. And beastmode. We are in a free fall? Lmao! I might be nuts but the season doesn’t start for another 4 more months. Idiot

64. Johnny Chingas says: May 19, 2014 12:39 PM

Owning an assault rifle or getting a DUI doesn’t make someone a bad person…I know almost as many people with DUI’s as I know who don’t. His biggest crime is failure to realize that he is in the public eye at all times. The airport incident is the most questionable incident in my book. I don’t think he’s stupid I just think he is young and immature,,,I hope this will help him realize it’s time to focus on his craft and spend time with his family