Jordan Lynch feeling comfortable at running back

jordanlynch AP

Jordan Lynch was a Heisman Trophy finalist as a quarterback at Northern Illinois, but it’s at running back where he’s trying to catch on as an undrafted rookie with the Bears. He says he’s just fine with that.

“That’s one thing I did do at Northern; carried the ball a lot so I kind of did some running back drills back in the college days,” Lynch said after the first practice of the Bears’ rookie minicamp. “I studied the playbook all last night and I felt very comfortable out there.”

Based on one practice, Lynch doesn’t see any reason he’ll struggle with a new position.

“It wasn’t tough at all,” Lynch said. “I’m a football player. I love football and I’ll do whatever it takes to stay in the NFL. I guess the toughest thing is some footwork drills playing running back and just trying to pick up on little things with special teams and running back.”

Bears coach Marc Trestman liked what he saw.

“Jordan’s a real football player; there’s no doubt about it,” Trestman said. “He certainly didn’t look out of place by any means today running around out there. It’s just the first day, but he didn’t seem awkward in any way running and catching the football in space.”

Lynch, like all undrafted rookies, still faces an uphill battle to make the team. But he understands the job he has ahead of him.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
29 Responses to “Jordan Lynch feeling comfortable at running back”
  1. qdog112 says: May 17, 2014 7:57 AM

Good for him to embrace the opportunity. It’s not unusual at all for players to move from QB to other positions, at all levels.

I would be interested to see a study done that shows how many current NFL players, ever played QB at any level of football.

I would not be shocked to see that 50% of the NFL players at one time played QB. The league is full of RBs, WRs, DBs, LBs and even linemen, who once took snaps.

2. grantsbuds says: May 17, 2014 8:00 AM

Good luck!
    Carpe diem.

3. chrisswitzer2189 says: May 17, 2014 8:00 AM

Danny woodhead jr

4. hawkstradamus says: May 17, 2014 8:02 AM

I hope terelle Pryor is reading this.

5. larryboodry says: May 17, 2014 8:06 AM

I hope the kid makes it.

6. seabreezes51 says: May 17, 2014 8:19 AM

Tim Tebow..take note

7. howiehandles says: May 17, 2014 8:19 AM

Would be a great local story if the kid made it.

8. ftball101 says: May 17, 2014 8:30 AM

This is how it’s done, Tebow. Play whatever position, do whatever is asked of you and do what it takes to keep playing the game you love. I hope he makes it, and at least make a mark covering on special teams.

9. grruffgrruff says: May 17, 2014 8:39 AM

Love the idea of a former QB turned RB.
    Hand off behind the line of scrimmage and surprise…throw deep.

10. jimmy53 says: May 17, 2014 8:44 AM

I don’t see Lynch blocking, which will severely hinder his ability to be successful.

He has always been a tough player to gauge–any time he played against tough competition he wilted, but then he didn’t exactly have a ton of talent around him or a big time O-line.

11. tongsareinyourseatback says: May 17, 2014 8:44 AM

I wonder if Cutler will be able to transition from being a crash test dummy to a QB this season?

12. chicagocane says: May 17, 2014 8:46 AM

While I don’t see a huge impact immediately I think he could already be the best goal line option on this Bears team if you really think about it. Trestman has already shown he likes to get wacky at the goal line!

13. campcouch says: May 17, 2014 8:49 AM

Take note Tebow. A man who just wants to play football in the NFL and is willing to do whatever it takes.

14. peppylapeu says: May 17, 2014 8:50 AM

If he can pick up the blitz and show good hands catching the ball he could be a good change of pace back. He’s an intriguing prospect and I’m glad Emery squashed any thoughts of him being a Qb immediately.

15. triumphdog says: May 17, 2014 8:56 AM

This is what Tebow should have done coming out of college. Worked at becoming a goal line/short yardage back.

Same with Denard Robinson. Why change to WR when you were one of the most prolific RUSHING quarterbacks in college football history? The obvious choice was at RB where he could be a “poor man’s” Darren Sproles.

16. codiablo says: May 17, 2014 8:58 AM

& somewhere north of the border Collin Klein furiously chomps a peanut butter sandwich.

17. squinn21 says: May 17, 2014 9:04 AM

Good attitude.

18. bassplucker says: May 17, 2014 9:36 AM

Love this kid’s attitude. This is the type of player Emery loves… team oriented, football savvy, tough and versatile. A guy who can be a situational RB, emergency QB AND contribute on special teams essentially saves you one or even 2 roster spots. If Lynxh can be that guy I think he has a great shot to make the roster.

19. elmaxoh says: May 17, 2014 9:51 AM

Great attitude and good spirit I hope this guy makes it !

20. jacobk621 says: May 17, 2014 10:00 AM

Hope the kid makes the team so that Tim Tebow and all his crazed posse can see what Choir boy should have done when he had the opputurnity

21. alshonbrandontandem says: May 17, 2014 10:10 AM

I’m rooting for this guy to make the team. He’s Tebow, but can actually play. If he’s cut from Chicago, he catch on someone else.

22. chinahand11 says: May 17, 2014 10:22 AM

Great attitude, the kid is a ballplayer. Good luck Jordan!

23. ryann252013 says: May 17, 2014 10:43 AM

He looks like he added muscle, hope he makes it. I’m sure Trestman will make it work.

24. lukedunphysscienceproject says: May 17, 2014 12:25 PM

Danny Woodhead Jr???

This guy could fit DW in his pocket. He the speed to make people miss and the size to occasionally break tackles when he doesn’t make them miss.

I’m rooting for him. Just goes to show what happens when a player is TRULY humble and selfless and doesn’t just play that character on TV.

Pretty sure everyone knows who I’m talking about.

25. 4thandlonger says: May 17, 2014 12:42 PM

If he can block and play special teams I reckon he will run well enough to make it. You’d carry him as the 4th RB in the rotation anyway even if he’s not a great runner.

If he can do the above then you can get a little funky with making him the kick holder and even some throwing plays in the offense somewhere for him.

26. chicagosports2014 says: May 17, 2014 1:14 PM

Full back?

27. ken0west says: May 17, 2014 1:36 PM

“Back in the College days”? Like last month?

28. pc1976 says: May 17, 2014 5:13 PM

Suddenly the Bears backfield becomes interesting – Forte/Carey/Lynch. Good attitude from Jordan – pistol anyone?

29. ppalian says: May 19, 2014 12:21 PM