Ryan Williams says he will be joining Cowboys

Ryan Williams, Mike Pouncey AP

Less than a week after being waived by the Cardinals, tailback Ryan Williams looks to have landed another NFL job.

Via Twitter, Williams said Saturday he would be joining the Cowboys, who reportedly worked him out today.

A second-round pick of the Cardinals in 2011, the 5-foot-9, 207-pound Williams rushed for 164 yards on 58 carries in his three-season stint with Arizona, with all of the work coming in five games in 2012. He missed his entire rookie season of 2011 after a patellar tendon tear, then had a shoulder injury end his 2012 season. He did not appear in a game for Arizona in the 2013 regular season.

In Dallas, Williams could compete for reserve reps with Joseph Randle and Lance Dunbar behind starter DeMarco Murray.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
26 Responses to “Ryan Williams says he will be joining Cowboys”
  1. vikesr4reel says: May 17, 2014 7:10 PM

Cowboys!!
    Lol

2. chex1868 says: May 17, 2014 7:15 PM

Neat

3. staikman says: May 17, 2014 7:17 PM

Great move Jerrah….with this magnificently rebuilt OL this puppy could be hitting that 2nd level on fire….

4. luz56 says: May 17, 2014 7:22 PM

Everyone’s got potential…. It’s too bad you got derailed and or that’s as good as you ever were to become …

5. pillowporkers says: May 17, 2014 7:28 PM

so what happens when dunbar, murray, and williams are all hurt at the same time, which is likely to happen at some point during the season?

6. 700levelvet says: May 17, 2014 7:28 PM

The. “Most mediocre franchise in sports”…

7. stunzeed5 says: May 17, 2014 7:37 PM

Poor guy…..I’d rather join the AFL than play for the Cowboys. Sigh…..

8. bennyb82 says: May 17, 2014 7:48 PM

Good signing. If he is healthy, he could end up being successful. Hopefully it does not reach that point. I’d like to see Murray stay healthy for the whole season.

9. ugadogs21 says: May 17, 2014 8:22 PM

Good move. He will push Murray if his knee is healthy.

10. stexan says: May 17, 2014 8:57 PM

Cards release a RB and the Cowboys jump to pick him off the waiver wire.
    My, my, my, how the times have changed.
    (Ain’t that right, Jerry?)

11. beardinals says: May 17, 2014 9:03 PM

No one hates the Cowboys more than me, but I’m really pulling for Williams. If he stays healthy, I believe he can be a force.

12. thegrigga49 says: May 17, 2014 9:22 PM

Classic Jerry Jones. Cowboys are really reaching searching the pile with this and the Okoye moves. I would really like to see this kid get 1 opportunity to see what he’s got. What an enigma. I truly feel bad for Dallas on opening day. The severe beating they are going to receive by The 49ers may completely demoralize they’re entire season for them when San Fran shows The Cowboys at Jerry World how really far they are away from competing for a championship. 49ers – 38, Cowboys -13.

13. defscottyb says: May 17, 2014 9:46 PM

I’m a Skins fan and a VT fan and I have to say this guy was scary good at VT. As a Skins fan I hope his injury hinders him on the Cowboys. Anyway good luck to him, he’s a good dude just got unlucky with injuries.

14. luz56 says: May 17, 2014 9:52 PM

That Cowboy vs 49er game will be close right up until the coin toss…

15. papadukes22 says: May 17, 2014 10:25 PM

Cowboys are due!

16. clssylssy says: May 17, 2014 10:49 PM

Best wishes to Ryan and good signing by the Cowboys. I would rather have seen him go to the Titans, where I think he would flourish under Coach Whisenhunt and be in a more growth producing environment. He never had a chance in Arizona to develop and play coming off his injury due to franchise politics. He wouldn’t be the first to leave the Cards and find success elsewhere.

17. National Fanatic says: May 17, 2014 10:58 PM

Ryan Williams is a bust…

18. MostlyRight says: May 17, 2014 10:59 PM

I wish him luck, even though I hate the Cowboys. Hated to see a young, promising back injured so early and often in his career.

19. 1pwrightt says: May 17, 2014 11:31 PM

The injury is in his head and he can’t run like he once did.

20. weekendwarriorko says: May 17, 2014 11:34 PM

Man, patellar tendon injuries are tough to recover from, the explosion almost never comes back. I can’t see him ever being a player to push Murray for significant carries, hopefully he can stay healthy and spell Murray here and there.

21. holographicribs says: May 17, 2014 11:58 PM

How long until he misses another season after breaking his collarbone opening up a jar of pickles or something absurd like that?

22. raiderufan says: May 18, 2014 7:25 AM

Talk about a kid that got bad advice. I realize he was a 2nd rounder but coming off a lost season due to…..you guessed it, injury…he left 2 years of eligibility on the table. He was super talented and really fun to watch even though he was at VT. Hopefully he can get and stay healthy.

23. cardsfann1 says: May 18, 2014 7:51 AM

Kid will help the Cowboys. He is really talented. He is completely healthy now since BA benched him all of last season.

24. duncanthecat says: May 18, 2014 7:59 AM

This dude is on the sidelines injured more than Sean Lee.

Bad signing.

25. bassplucker says: May 18, 2014 8:30 AM

If he stays healthy and has a great year for the Cowboys, there could be a lot of upset Cardinals fans. But fact of the matter is, when young players are chronically injured, you just have to cut your losses and move on. This guy has played 5 games in three seasons and hasn’t had a live action carry since October 2012. No matter how good a teammate he may be or how much talent he may have, that won’t get it done. If I were in Keim’s shoes I would have made the same choice.

I hope it works out for Williams in Big D, but I don’t fault Arizona for their decision at all, either.

26. jsrdc says: May 18, 2014 12:52 PM

This is an astute, low cost and very low risk signing for the Cowboys. They obviously didn’t sign him to be their primary back. Like most other teams, the Cowboys will be employing a RB by committee anyway.

The Cowboys signed him because he was obviously healthy enough to be able to compete in camp, and he would be retained if he makes the team as part of the RB rotation. He will have his work cut out for him to even make the team with Murray, Dunbar, and Randle ahead of him, but he deserves a chance after his college career and him coming off the injuries he has had in AZ. He will never be in college form of course, but as a short yardage guy, he could earn his keep. He had 4.49 speed out of college, and had soft hands as a receiver even though he wasn’t used in that capacity much in college at RB. He was definitely worth a cheap contract, even if only for depth.

Haters are simply jealous, and won’t ever give credit where it is due. Pathetic.