Bill Callahan trying to make best of situation with Cowboys

Bill Callahan AP

When the Cowboys hired Scott Linehan to call plays on offense this season, they took away some of the responsibilities that offensive coordinator Bill Callahan had last year.

That reportedly didn’t sit well with Callahan, who received interest from the Browns and Ravens about coming onboard after the Cowboys shuffled up their staff. The Cowboys blocked those teams from interviewing Callahan, however, and he remains in Dallas trying to do the best job he can.

“I just take on the mindset that things happen for a reason,” Callahan said, via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “I live with that, and I move on. I make the best of every situation I’m in. I’ve never worried about anything else. I’ve always had confidence in myself and my abilities to do a good job. My focus has always been to do a great job where I’m at, and everything else takes care of itself. I’m not concerned about any of that stuff.”

The Cowboys ranked fifth in the league in points per game last season, but they put up their fewest yards since 2005 and blew their chance at a division title with a Week 17 loss for the third straight year. That led them to alter their coaching staff once again and left Callahan to focus on his offensive line coaching duties even if he might want to be doing more somewhere else.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Bill Callahan trying to make best of situation with Cowboys”
  1. thegreatgabbert says: May 18, 2014 12:26 PM

“Things happen for a reason.”. The reason being, that they don’t trust your judgment, Bill

2. Wineshard says: May 18, 2014 12:28 PM

Points > Yards.

3. 700levelvet says: May 18, 2014 12:32 PM

The. “Most mediocre franchise in sports”…

4. cowboysfaninbuffalove says: May 18, 2014 12:33 PM

As a Cowboys fan I don’t understand why Jerry loves to bring in a lot of mediocre coaches, just let him leave he does nothing to help us. I like what we have on defense as far as coaches, even though last year was ugly to watch but Marinelli and Kiffin are great defensive minds who got a lot out of very little talent.

5. xinellum says: May 18, 2014 12:33 PM

Forcing people to stay in positions they don’t want to be in and on a team they don’t want to be on does not seem to be a recipe for success in Dallas. Especially when he is being undervalued in Dallas and other teams recognize his true value. Only Jerry thinks that is a good idea.

6. bassplucker says: May 18, 2014 12:45 PM

I wish my Bears would have had the stones to do the same thing with Mike Tice a couple of years ago. Tice is an ok OL coach but has no business being an OC and the Bears offense under him was a dysfunctonal joke that nearly got our QB killed. As long as Callahan’s pay didn’t get cut I would advise he shut up, keep his head down and be thankful he still has a job. It could be a whole lot worse.

7. jpb12 says: May 18, 2014 12:54 PM

Their trying to get him to quit so they won’t have to pay him. It’s called progressive dismissal.

Classy.

8. tremoluxman says: May 18, 2014 12:54 PM

Let me see if I have this straight. An OC usually develops the offensive game plan, dials up the plays, and calls the game. But in Jerry’s World, he hires another guy to call the plays for his OC. Uh-huh. Typical. No wonder he’s in charge of the JJ Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus headquartered in Dallas.

9. abninf says: May 18, 2014 1:32 PM

They came a game away from winning the division even with one of the worst defenses in NFL history. Offense isn’t the problem.

10. idpfantasyfootball says: May 18, 2014 1:43 PM

Bill Callahan knows that revenge is best served cold and that timing is everything… as Tim Brown said and the Beastie Boys sing… ‘sabotage!’

11. mshawn75 says: May 18, 2014 2:11 PM

Eventually Jerry will hire the play caller that Jerry wants. HIMSELF.

12. pike573 says: May 18, 2014 2:22 PM

I’m not sure what the right decision is in this case, but whatever the wrong decision is, I’m sure Jerry will make it.

13. mackcarrington says: May 18, 2014 7:11 PM

They take away some of his responsibility, and won’t let him interview for another job. I guess he could have had a secret interview over the phone with another team and just resigned and taken another job. If everyone involved kept their mouth shut, who would know?

14. raiderapologist says: May 18, 2014 7:56 PM

jpb12 says: May 18, 2014 12:54 PM

Classy.
    —————–
    They don’t have to pay him if another team hires him away.

15. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: May 18, 2014 8:14 PM

Just ask Tim Brown about Callahan’s play calling in the super bowl. Jerry was foolish to let him ever be in charge of play calling at all.

Callahan might can handle coaching the O line but that’s about all he needs to be doing. If he isn’t happy with that, then move on.

16. harrisonhits2 says: May 18, 2014 9:40 PM

I don’t know what Dallas is paying him but at the very least its hundreds of thousands of dollars to run a pro football offense. He should be thanking his lucky stars every day he has a job like that which pays so well, no matter what the situation is.

17. simonator917 says: May 18, 2014 10:02 PM

This can’t possibly end well.

18. joetoronto says: May 19, 2014 6:32 AM

He has to be the dumbest coach in America.

Right, Bill?

19. gordonray7777 says: May 19, 2014 8:42 AM

Here we go again. This is the first indication of where this season is headed. Team is defined as two or more people working towards a comon goal. Not a bunch of whining and complainting.