DirecTV sale won’t expand availability of NFL Sunday Ticket

DirecTV Getty Images

With AT&T buying DirecTV for the tidy sum of $48.5 billion, NFL fans have become fascinated with the prospect of getting access to NFL Sunday Ticket without having to buy a satellite dish.

Fascination is about as far as it will go.

AT&T’s purchase of DirecTV won’t give AT&T the ability to do anything more with TV rights than DirecTV already has purchased.  If AT&T wants to expand the ability to deliver NFL Sunday Ticket to consumers, AT&T will have to pay for that privilege.

AT&T will be paying in any event.  The package expires after the coming season, and the league may want even more for the rights now that there’s a deeper pocket into which the NFL can give.

Look for AT&T/DirecTV to fork it over.  The NFL continues to be one of the hottest properties in entertainment, and DirecTV could see a major exodus of customers (this one included) if NFL Sunday Ticket suddenly isn’t available.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
46 Responses to “DirecTV sale won’t expand availability of NFL Sunday Ticket”
  1. jacobslatter says: May 19, 2014 9:30 AM

Oh, so more of the unenlightened masses won’t get to see the Falcons run towards winning the Super Bowl later this year. :;

2. ar1888 says: May 19, 2014 9:31 AM

The nfl should be ashamed of themselves for the Direct tv deal. Mot everyone can get Direct tv. Online version is over $400.

3. timmons94 says: May 19, 2014 9:37 AM

Only reason I have directv is the Sunday ticket.

4. kissmytaintpatriotsrule says: May 19, 2014 9:39 AM

For an out of market fan the NFL Sunday ticket makes the most sense. I have used to have the package way back in the day. If you are just looking to keep up with all the games the red zone channel does an excellent job at not nearly the same expense.

5. shlort says: May 19, 2014 9:41 AM

NFL Sunday ticket priced itself out of my budget. I get to see my team on network TV, but used to enjoy watching other games when ST was reasonably priced. Had it for many years, but cancelled it once I thought the value was no longer there. NFLST is pure profit driven greed.

6. spreth1 says: May 19, 2014 9:47 AM

“now that there’s a deeper pocket into which the NFL can give”

“give” or “dive”?

7. kabasaman says: May 19, 2014 9:48 AM

Directv: = Greedy Bastards… You pay for the sunday ticket….OH, you want that in HD?…… That will be $20 more a week…… B.S. The NFL should be ashamed of what they charge people for watching their product……………..

8. redngold1 says: May 19, 2014 9:48 AM

I subscribe to DirecTV just so I can get NFL Sunday Ticket and Red Zone.
    Sunday Ticket and Red Zone cost $300.00
    I put away ONE DOLLAR a day for ten months. That’s my $300.
    And it’s so totally worth it.

9. blowpackblow says: May 19, 2014 9:49 AM

If you think the Sunday Ticket is expensive, try going to an actual game. Costs about $500 for 2 people after parking, couple of beers, snacks and decent seats. I will gladly pay the $200 for a full season and enjoy it from my couch!

10. patriottony says: May 19, 2014 9:49 AM

Virtually every person in the US can get DIRECTV,,PERIOD. Do you know they now sell portable dishes in the form of a briefcase? The top lid is the dish, and the box is inside…just have to plug your TV into it.
    As for Directv mobile,,,400.00 yr is like 35.00 a month, far less than having it as a regular dish installation. What else can you complain about?

11. trollhammer20 says: May 19, 2014 9:50 AM

People are cutting their TV cords at record rates, and AT&T just paid $70 billion for a TV provider.

I feel a little smarter this morning for some reason.

12. laurencejn says: May 19, 2014 9:52 AM

BEYOND a joke that the NFL Sunday Ticket is not available on all cable and satellite providers!
    First of all, a huge percentage of the country cannot even have access to Direct TV based on where they live. Secondly, it’s ALL about money for Goodell and the NFL. Why is the cash that the NFL gets from an exclusive deal with Direct TV more important than the happiness of it’s fans. Roger, you continue to choose money over the fans…shame on you! It’s an embarassment!

13. crazycane says: May 19, 2014 9:53 AM

I haven’t been under contract for over 3 years waiting to see if FINALLY other cable companies get access to this so I can bolt.

14. madpunter88 says: May 19, 2014 9:54 AM

I am fine with DirecTV overall but, make no mistake, I would leave for another carrier if they (or AT&T) lost Sunday Ticket. That was the only reason I signed up for it in the first place. I do not like having the large dish on my roof but that is about the only thing I dislike about DTV. Overall it is a good service.

15. scmems07 says: May 19, 2014 9:57 AM

in this day of fantasy football the NFL redzone is where it’s at anyway.

16. raiderlyfe510 says: May 19, 2014 9:58 AM

Just leave my “NFL Rewind” alone…please & Thank you.
    Might have to watch that Raiders Vs Chargers game today. When T Pryor tore up that Chargers secondary.

17. RexCanCoach says: May 19, 2014 9:58 AM

Just call DTV to cancel Sunday Ticket and if you are convincing enough they offer you a large discount.

Same for Sirius / XM radio…

18. dezno24 says: May 19, 2014 9:59 AM

Only reason why i have DirecTV. Like what was stated above, going to a actual game is very expensive unless your team suck.

19. tdl8 says: May 19, 2014 10:00 AM

Doesn’t matter as free online streaming sites get more popular and better quality. I watch any game I want for FREE every weekend and don’t have to deal with a dish that goes out every time it rains, snows or it gets windy! Or spend $300-400 on the package to pad the NFL’s un-American non-tax paying pockets!

20. shockey19 says: May 19, 2014 10:03 AM

The number of idiots crying about greed is astounding. Truly, it makes me head hurt.

The NFL is a business, morons. Businesses, typically, try to make as much money as possible. It’s not greed, it’s doing their jobs. Do you fools even know what greed means? I’m guessing not, based on your idiotic misuse of the word.

21. jerruhjones says: May 19, 2014 10:05 AM

Is ATT going to screw up DirecTV like everything else they own?

22. wny49er says: May 19, 2014 10:10 AM

I wish Direct TV would just offer your favorite team pricing. I have no need to watching teams like Jacksonville, Miami, Jets and the Raiders.

23. justintuckrule says: May 19, 2014 10:12 AM

Bad deal for AT&T. Cubans prophecy will be coming true in <5 years. Sheep will whine but if you're a real football fan you'll hope this league crumbles under the weight of its own greed and a new league that gives us a real affordable football product will rise from the ashes.

24. qdog112 says: May 19, 2014 10:12 AM

Ah, the Reagan gift that keeps on giving. Monopolistic America can be traced directly to the great GOP icon, Ronald Reagan.

Funny how we trumpet competition, yet allow monopolies to gobble up competitors. I guess there are advantages to one-stop shopping.

Reagan’s refusal to enforce antitrust law allowed “monopolistic corporate behemoths (who) have mostly taken the form of cutting employment so deeply, it has effectively crippled the ability of the U.S. economy to create jobs. ”

Hey, I know, let’s go to Wal-Mart.

25. titansbro says: May 19, 2014 10:15 AM

I’d happily pay for the online version except that I have to prove to DirectTV that their satellite won’t work on my house (it will). Really, I just DO NOT WANT satellite TV. It goes out with any inclement weather.

26. beardinals says: May 19, 2014 10:15 AM

Seems like the NFL could make A LOT more money by opening up any game, to anyone and having them pay for it as a package or individually through a ton of other providers.

I was shocked when they renewed with DTV. I guess there is a price for exclusivity, though.

27. northlandwi says: May 19, 2014 10:16 AM

DirecTV actually cut the price of NFL Sunday Ticket last year significantly. They also negotiate regularly on the price when you ask, especially if you are a repeat customer. What drives up all cable bills are channels like ESPN who charge each customer $6.00 per month whether they want it or not in almost all cable packages. At least Sunday Ticket is a choice. (And a good one!)

28. wtfchiefs says: May 19, 2014 10:20 AM

mo·nop·o·ly
    məˈnäpəlē/Submit
    noun

1.the exclusive possession or control of the supply or trade in a commodity or service.

29. nypd1056 says: May 19, 2014 10:26 AM

I live in Orlando Florida and have been a subscriber of DirecTV & the NFL Sunday ticket since 1998. I pay $37.49 in 6 monthly payments for a total of $224.94 to watch BIG BLUE and I couldn’t be happier than a pic in s–t.

30. tdl8 says: May 19, 2014 10:37 AM

shockey19 says:
    May 19, 2014 10:03 AM

—————————————————

The difference between a business and the NFL is businesses pay taxes! The NFL does not!

31. thestrategyexpert says: May 19, 2014 10:39 AM

Good move, these two weak-ass companies would eventually die if they didn’t desperately combine with each other.

32. malek773 says: May 19, 2014 10:39 AM

The only reason I have Directv is for Sunday ticket. I like many would leave to comcast or some similar cable company if Sunday ticket was available. FYI Redzone is good and I enjoy it but its not the same as watching the whole game. Also being able to watch every game over again without commercials or delays during the week is awesome. Guess I’m sticking with Directv for at least one more season.

33. 2ruefan says: May 19, 2014 10:46 AM

patriottony says: May 19, 2014 9:49 AM

****************************************************
    I have no idea what YOU are talking about here.
    This is simply not true.
    Here’ the reality:
    You don’t have a clear view of the “Southern” Sky for your dish (whatever form it is in) YOU CAN’T HAVE DIRECTV. PERIOD.

34. fc187 says: May 19, 2014 10:58 AM

Too pricy.

Getting to the point the average person will not be able to pay for it.

And It’s not that great.
    Blackout rules apply. And rain fade can cause you to loose signal.

35. schmitty2 says: May 19, 2014 10:58 AM

thestrategyexpert says:May 19, 2014 10:39 AM

AT&T is worth over 125 billion and Directv was worth 49 billion. I would hardly classify that as “weak-ass companies”.

36. kriswd40 says: May 19, 2014 10:59 AM

Don’t say virtually anyone can get DirecTV because that’s simply not true. Many in apartments cannot and those like me without a clear line of sight to the satellite cannot. I’d love for any other option.

37. greenwhodat26 says: May 19, 2014 11:06 AM

In the age of the 5th place consolation prize, people don’t understand what the word “exclusive” means. If you want NFL Sunday Ticket, then get Directv. If not, quit crying about it.

38. artn4gkr says: May 19, 2014 11:08 AM

Try NFL Replay for about $ 60 or so a year. Sure you know who wins but NO commercials is worth it to me. And I’m enough of a fair weather fan if my team doesn’t win I don’t watch. So pay your 300.+ a year.The 200 or so I save goes right in my pocket

39. ratedgap says: May 19, 2014 11:10 AM

At this point, if you’re still paying full price for Sunday Ticket, that’s on you. You may be “stuck” if you are under contract, but if you aren’t, there is zero reason you should ever pay full price for the ticket. Call them, be clear that the only reason you have DirecTv is for Sunday Ticket, and if they don’t work with you, you will cancel, as your brother/sister/neighbor/cousin/best friends/parents, pick one, just paid for Sunday Ticket and you will gladly watch with them for free. I’ve been getting Sunday Ticket for free for about 3-4 years now. And that includes the package that lets me watch on my ipad, iphone, laptop, etc. and HD.

But like everyone else, I would immediately jump ship if they lost exclusivity.

40. pillowporkers says: May 19, 2014 11:31 AM

This should be illegal to monopolize this stuff. It’s complete garbage. Everyone should be allowed to purchase the rights to watch all the NFL games, especially with the internet now. How come the MLB and every other league can get it right?

41. dontouchmyjunk says: May 19, 2014 11:42 AM

For those complaining that you cannot get Sunday Ticket without DirecTV… are you kidding me? Do you even try? I have had Sunday Ticket on my PC and tablet for the last three seasons without having DirecTV! Anybody can. I can connect my tablet to the big screen and watch.

DirecTV has been a good steward of the package by offering to non-subscribers for a price. Comcast would never do that. Neither would Verizon.

I think what people are really complaining about is they want Sunday Ticket for free or extremely cheap! Well that’s not going to happen any more than your doctor is going to treat you for free or inexpensively.

42. chrisallen3285 says: May 19, 2014 12:00 PM

I would love to see DIRECTV lose the rights to NFL Sunday Ticket. The NFL needs to do something about this and offer more options to people who can’t get DIRECTV where they live. Please bring NFL Sunday Ticket to Time Warner Cable!!!! I would gladly pay $300.00 if they could somehow offer NFL Sunday Ticket on other cable providers (Time Warner Cable, Comcast, etc).

43. smcswaw1982 says: May 19, 2014 12:17 PM

Look Directv is overpriced and the only reason I have it is Sunday Ticket. The minute they lose ST I am gone and I suspect that many other customers will bolt also.

44. patriotsdefense says: May 19, 2014 12:57 PM

Dish >> DirecTV

45. gobs56 says: May 19, 2014 2:08 PM

What they need is a streaming app for roku Apple TV chromecast ect like hbo go so us cord cutters can pay and stream for red zone and Sunday ticket.. Die hard fans like me would pay a decent amount for this feature.. Forget cable

46. jellis272014 says: May 19, 2014 5:51 PM

If people are not happy to be able to have to pay to watch a team they like at home, go out and watch games at a bar. On average, if you can get out of a bar with paying less than $20, you are still paying more monthly to watch games than you would for the cost of The Sunday ticket weekly from home.

I feel bad that we live in a country where entitlement is running so rampant, that people want to complain about commerce so much. If you do not feel your team is worth paying to see, then are you even a real fan?

I could care less about where the money for my investment goes in this instance, as long as I am getting value. There are worse choices out there than DirecTV by a long ways, and i realize that it does not fit for people who live in areas with high populations of large trees, but there are many avenues to take to get the product.

I wish more people could just be pleased with how many choices they do have in life, instead of getting all bent about how the world does not revolve around their every whim.