After closing the doors to national media for the team’s rookie mini-camp last weekend, the Cleveland Browns will open access for the remainder of the offseason.
According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, head coach Mike Pettine said access to the team would be open to national media again beginning this week.
Pettine actually took exception to the notion that national media was “banned” from last week’s rookie mini-camp.
“It was more rewarding the local media than it was punishing (the national media),” Pettine said. “The words ‘ban’ and ‘punishing,’ to me that was nonsense.”
Wednesday’s organized team activities will be fully open to the media, national writers included.
The Browns selected Johnny Manziel in the first round of last week’s draft. While the attention on Johnny Football will likely continue to be high throughout the offseason, it will be that much greater if he can turn the Browns around into a frequent playoff contender. At that point, the Browns won’t be able to keep the attention off of Manziel. He might as well get used to the attention sooner than later.