Mike Evans isn’t what we expect in a receiver

Evans Getty Images

The receiver position either attracts or creates prancing, preening prima donnas, who are loud and proud and sometimes downright obnoxious.  As a result, the fans and the media don’t quite know how to act when encountering a receiver who is quiet and measured and concise.

Enter Buccaneers receiver Mike Evans.

I interviewed Evans on PFT Live several weeks before the draft, and the outcome was a little rough.  And it was all my fault.

It was obvious from the get-go that Evans is the exact opposite of everything we’ve come to expect in a big-name pass-catcher.  But it was on me to draw Evans out of his shell.  Toward the end of the interview, I think I did.  A little.

When I interviewed him on the day of the draft, the product was a little better, in large part because I knew what to expect.

Via Deadspin, Evans appeared on Tuesday’s edition of The Jim Rome Show.  The interview went poorly, in Rome’s estimation.  Since I know Evans, I heard it a different way.  He was polite.  He answered every question without any hint of impatience in his voice.  He just didn’t say very much.

For example, when asked a “yes” or “no” question, he basically said “yes” or “no.”  Which makes it important for the interviewer to slide away from “yes” or “no” questions — something that’s far easier said than done when trying to turn around an interview that isn’t going the way the interviewer thought it would.

That’s not a slap at Rome.  He’s great at what he does, and I’ve very much enjoyed the times I’ve been on his show.  (He hasn’t asked me to be on his show in a while, which has prompted me to smell my armpits as I typed this.)

Evans is young, and he’s probably a little nervous and/or likely a little shy.  He’s nevertheless doing more and more media interviews, presumably in the hopes that he’ll improve.  He probably will.  Until he does, he deserves the benefit of the doubt.  Those of us who talk for a living often forget that it takes plenty of tries before a comfort level creeps in.

For Evans, it’ll happen eventually.  And he’ll get his next chance later today, as a phone-in guest on Tuesday’s edition of Pro Football Talk on NBCSN.  Tune in at 5:30 p.m. ET.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
28 Responses to “Mike Evans isn’t what we expect in a receiver”
  1. raidingtexas says: May 20, 2014 4:03 PM

Rolando McClain interviewed like this. Similar draft position too. Interesting.

2. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: May 20, 2014 4:07 PM

He sounds like Billy Bob Thorton in Slingblade…Mmm hmmmmm

3. 8to80texansblog says: May 20, 2014 4:07 PM

Fans aren’t really going to care that he is soft spoken once he starts lofting over DBs and hauling in TDs. The dude is such a red zone threat!

4. jetsjetsjetsnow says: May 20, 2014 4:07 PM

Ha Ha.. Talk about overstating your brand.. Those new Bucs uniforms are hilarious….!!

5. qdog112 says: May 20, 2014 4:08 PM

He’ll let his playing do the talking, unlike his former teammate, who sucked all the air from every room … along with a fair amount of alcohol.

The kid is a little shy and overwhelmed with his sudden stardom. Tampa is a good place for him to become more comfortable as he becomes great.

6. newdayintampabay says: May 20, 2014 4:14 PM

I love it. Took a few tips from Marshawn during super bowl week. How did that turn out?

I’d much rather him avoid media attention than say something he might regret. Let him focus on his 1,000 yard season and let his play do the talking

7. SAV says: May 20, 2014 4:19 PM

Evans ain’t shy, he’s confident and he isn’t a blowhard. He’s a man’s man. Walk the walk, dont talk the talk. Ask him some open ended questions with meaning, confirm things with closes ended questions and keep all questions real and rhetorical. You do that and you’ll have am interview. He ain’t about off the field self promotion, he’s about on the field production. Get ready for a beast of another color NFL. Your talking about anquan boldin attitude and skillset with mixed some Calvin-like athletcism. DBs be warned

8. mrheavyhustle says: May 20, 2014 4:20 PM

He’s from Galveston Tx most people from there are chill and quiet. Don’t get me wrong they have their fair share of nut cases also . It’s funny reading a story about a WR that’s “not” proclaiming himself the next coming of Jerry Rice or such. I wish it was more Mike Evans type players today, ones who just shut up and play football.

9. SAV says: May 20, 2014 4:20 PM

*not rhetorical

10. thepftpoet says: May 20, 2014 4:21 PM

Cordarelle Patterson > Mike Evans.

11. jpaq68 says: May 20, 2014 4:23 PM

Jim Rome roided out after Jim Everett beat him down on National television.

12. uglyglazers says: May 20, 2014 4:24 PM

The logo is a little big, and by a little, I mean very.

13. dannersthemanners says: May 20, 2014 4:30 PM

I get nervous before I talk in meetings at work…and there are only like 5 people.

I can’t imagine what it’d be like knowing millions will read what I say.

Sounds like he’s a good kid.

14. thegreatgabbert says: May 20, 2014 4:32 PM

Evans was easily the most impressive personality in this draft. One of the youngest players as well, which makes it doubly impressive.

15. thegreatgabbert says: May 20, 2014 4:35 PM

I would have drafted Evans first overall. He doesn’t have quite the natural physical gifts of J.C., but his leadership qualities more than make up for it. If you threw all the draftees on an island for a month, Mike Evans would emerge as the boss.

16. tvjules says: May 20, 2014 4:40 PM

Marvin Harrison was the same way.

17. somethinghappeninghere says: May 20, 2014 4:41 PM

He’s an Aggie not named Johnny Manziel, that’s why.

18. rockymtnphinfan says: May 20, 2014 4:49 PM

Mike Evans you are a smart young man.

Keep it simple. Do not, under any circumstances, give the media something to run with.

LET YOUR SKILLS MAKE THE HEADLINES.

Please be the beginning of the End of the primadonna WR’s.

You are reprensenting A&M the way they would want you to represent them.

19. scrotiemcb says: May 20, 2014 4:57 PM

There is this guy named Demaryius Thomas, a really good player, who’s been in the league four years now. He isn’t a loud, proud, and/or obnoxious prancer and preener. He is, in fact, quiet and measured and precise. He’s had, like, 190 receptions for about 2, 900 yards and 24 TD’s over the last 2 years.

You should look him up sometime.

20. pslbucfan says: May 20, 2014 5:08 PM

Sounds like a good kid. Glad he’s with my Bucs. That quiet attitude reminds me of another guy that was pretty quiet too, that let his play on the field do the talking. That guy was Barry Sanders.

21. bamboozle99 says: May 20, 2014 5:11 PM

Barry Sanders couldn’t talk to the media. I like Mike Evans.

22. somethingsmellsrotten says: May 20, 2014 5:12 PM

Evans is a punk…try looking at some game film sometime Buc fans and watch how he pouts when the ball doesn’t come his way or is not in his vicinity…nothing but a typical WR diva.

23. doubleogator says: May 20, 2014 5:51 PM

I love it, the hot dogs are getting old, Marcus Colston is quiet, and never tries to bring attention to himself, would be nice if more payers let their play on the field do the talking…

24. cliverush says: May 20, 2014 6:04 PM

Never write when you can speak, never speak when you can nod, never nod when you can wink. Old saying of politicians that should be taught to the young players in this age of instant media controversy.

25. lks311 says: May 20, 2014 6:17 PM

Calvin Johnson would have been the perfect mentor for this young man, but, it was not meant to be.

26. kev86 says: May 20, 2014 6:53 PM

ODB!

27. fancyleague says: May 20, 2014 6:58 PM

Jim Rome is good at what he does the way youtube trolls are good at what they do. He is nigh unlistenable.

28. asimonetti88 says: May 20, 2014 10:35 PM

So he’s honest and to the point. Jim Rome is a crappy broadcaster, ask better questions.