CBS announces Tracy Wolfson as lead NFL sideline reporter

tracywolfson Getty Images

CBS has announced that its No. 1 NFL broadcasting team, which will call both Thursday night and Sunday afternoon games, has added a sideline reporter.

Tracy Wolfson, a veteran sideline reporter who has worked primarily on SEC football games and NCAA Tournament basketball games, will join the team of Jim Nantz and Phil Simms on CBS. The move was just announced today, but it was previously reported by Richard Deitsch of Sports Illustrated.

Although Wolfson has worked select NFL games in the past, having a sideline reporter working every week is a departure for CBS, which has generally shied away from sideline reporters during NFL games. In 2006, when CBS got rid of sideline reporters, CBS Sports President Sean McManus said sideline reporters were “diverting attention” from the announcers in the booth, adding that, “If I want to hear a perspective on the game, I’d prefer to hear it from Phil Simms than a sideline reporter.”

Maybe McManus has changed his mind about the usefulness of sideline reporters, or maybe the NFL urged CBS to add a sideline reporter to the Thursday night package, which Commissioner Roger Goodell has called a top priority for the league this season. Whatever the reasons, with CBS putting its No. 1 team on the air for big games both Thursdays and Sundays, NFL fans will be seeing a lot of Wolfson.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
32 Responses to “CBS announces Tracy Wolfson as lead NFL sideline reporter”
  1. sGoDonkos says: May 21, 2014 1:07 PM

or maybe she’s cuter than simms…? idk

2. sweepthelegjohnny73 says: May 21, 2014 1:08 PM

Awesome… more times I get to hear my Dad say “Wonder what position she played”

3. watermelon1 says: May 21, 2014 1:08 PM

I wish the networks offered a package for the not completely brain-dead fans.

One that comes WITHOUT commentary.

I means you’re still getting your ad revenue. What is the harm in letting fans see and HEAR the game without aomeone talking over it?

Oh, they’re afraid we might have an easier time seeing how scripted and fake it all is? Same reason we can REALLY get that “all 22″ view?

4. canetic says: May 21, 2014 1:14 PM

Good for her. But it doesn’t really add anything to the game.

5. ralphwilsonisrich says: May 21, 2014 1:15 PM

More hot chicks, If your a dude and you know football still forget it. Only hot chicks need apply just like all the weather persons now.

6. rufusporter says: May 21, 2014 1:21 PM

Please do away with sideline reporters as well any interviews with players or coaches before or during a game. They are a distraction and are never informative or entertaining.

7. roadtrip3500 says: May 21, 2014 1:23 PM

None of the TV guys have done 2 games a week before. Adding Tracy Wolfson allows CBS to delegate some of the prep/background work away from Nantz and Simms, as well as give their throats an occasional break. Smart decision to add help.

8. phooteballs says: May 21, 2014 1:24 PM

I can’t tell you how many times I have received really exciting and pertinent information from a sideline reporter. Oh wait I can, zero.

9. bringbackkosar says: May 21, 2014 1:25 PM

there’s always the mute button, doesn’t work on my old lady unfortunately

10. bassplucker says: May 21, 2014 1:29 PM

Not the best looking sideline bunny out there by a long shot, but she’s definitely paid her dues and seems reasonably competent.

11. schmitty2 says: May 21, 2014 1:30 PM

I vote they put her in the booth and Simms on the sidelines.

12. cleanface says: May 21, 2014 1:34 PM

Simms is awful! How does CBS consider him their best analyst?

13. jdhein22 says: May 21, 2014 1:36 PM

I think McManus finally realized that Phil Simms is a babbling moron.

14. thegreatgabbert says: May 21, 2014 1:42 PM

“O.K., that’s it from down here, back up to the fat guys……”.

15. terrybradshawisdead says: May 21, 2014 1:46 PM

please, ANYTHING, to divert attention away from Phil Simms’ monotone idiocy.

16. nygmann says: May 21, 2014 1:52 PM

Congratulations, Tracey Wolfson on your new job as the NFL sideline reporter for the CBS games! Best of Luck!

17. justwinbaby29 says: May 21, 2014 2:08 PM

Tracy isn’t bad but I’d go with Allie Laforce. Hey now.

18. jwh8541 says: May 21, 2014 2:11 PM

sideline “reporters” are a useless waste of time.

19. corvetteman6 says: May 21, 2014 2:14 PM

Perhaps the only sideline reporter of any substance. Anyone but the grossly overrated Erin Andrews

20. wisconsinhillfolk says: May 21, 2014 2:18 PM

Why not give AJ McCarron’s intended a shot? Someone in their household should be generating football-related revenue. Too soon?

21. honkerdawg says: May 21, 2014 2:34 PM

Didn’t realize we’ll have to put up with Simms and his terrible comments twice a week.

22. ghost26 says: May 21, 2014 2:34 PM

“….In 2006, when CBS got rid of sideline reporters, CBS Sports President Sean McManus said sideline reporters were “diverting attention” from the announcers in the booth, adding that, “If I want to hear a perspective on the game, I’d prefer to hear it from Phil Simms than a sideline reporter.”

I couldn’t agree more. The sideline reporters not only provide useless information but they’re annoying.

23. BigAlHeBDMan says: May 21, 2014 2:45 PM

I guess Erin’s gig on Dancing with the Stars rendered her unavailable. Oh wait, they’re in separate seasons.

24. theclink12 says: May 21, 2014 2:47 PM

Tracy Wolfson is smokin hot!

Saw her in person at a restaurant a couple of years ago and was blown away.

25. kpf1981 says: May 21, 2014 2:50 PM

thursday night football stinks no matter what network or commentators they have. it’s obvious the players aren’t physically ready from the week before. do we really need TNF? i’d rather have SaturdayNF after college is done. or here’s an idea. extend the season by 1 week and give each team another bye week. every teem playing on TNF is coming off a bye week. player safety right?

26. ghostofgilchrist says: May 21, 2014 3:03 PM

I’m sure Simms is a nice fellow, but he’s just brutal to listen to. Don’t these networks pay any attention to their viewers?

Here’s a fun game for Thursday nights…count the number of times Phil actually says something educational. You’ll have plenty of fingers left to grab nachos…

27. nflofficeadmin says: May 21, 2014 3:13 PM

That’s the Brett Favre type. Get em Brett!

28. tommyribs says: May 21, 2014 3:36 PM

Good Looking lady, and she seems to have gears turning in her head, gut the Goose is the best Sideline reporter out there.

29. bubbasmithguy says: May 21, 2014 4:20 PM

Congratulations Tracy. Good luck in your new job.

30. rando74 says: May 21, 2014 5:52 PM

How come you can get a job because your hot but you can’t lose one because you’re not? Seems hypocritical to me.

31. nygmann says: May 21, 2014 7:45 PM

I’m a Giant fan and I can’t stand Simms in the broadcast booth. Thank God he does not broadcast Giant games!!!!

32. DitkasHair says: May 22, 2014 8:32 AM

She’s a good fit with the Nance/Simms team for me…..the TV will continue to be MUTED so I don’t have to hear those guys spew irrelevant audio….who doesn’t love Rock N’Roll in the background!!