Dave Gettleman: Watching Kelvin Benjamin reminded me of a young Plaxico Burress

Kelvin Benjamin AP

The Panthers made wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin their first-round pick earlier this month and General Manager Dave Gettleman said Wednesday that Benjamin was more appealing to them than some other receiving prospects because of his size.

Gettleman also said the team wasn’t turned off by negative reports about Benjamin’s character. Wide receivers coach Ricky Proehl and Gettleman both spent time with Benjamin during the pre-draft process and “felt very good about him as a person” when the meetings came to an end.

Gettleman felt good about Benjamin as a player too. Ross Tucker of Sirius XM NFL Radio asked Gettleman about people comparing Benjamin to Brandon Marshall and the former Giants executive responded with the name of a player he used to watch closely in New Jersey while adding a bit of text speak to a lexicon that already includes “blue goose” and “hog molly.”

“When I watched him, I thought I was watching a young Plaxico [Burress],” Gettleman said. “He’s a better athlete than people realize, he plays faster than a lot people think and he made some ‘OMG’ catches in the rookie minicamp. He’s talented, he has good focus, he learns well and it’s important to him. It’s really important to him.”

Burress generated a few character red flags over the course of his career, but he also generated a lot of catches, yards and touchdowns for the Steelers and Giants before bringing things to a halt with a self-inflicted gunshot to the leg. They’ll want Benjamin to steer clear of that fate, but the Panthers would surely be happy with Burress’ on-field production.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill
33 Responses to “Dave Gettleman: Watching Kelvin Benjamin reminded me of a young Plaxico Burress”
  1. davidmoffetthock says: May 21, 2014 4:11 PM

He shot himself in the leg in a strip club?

2. thepftpoet says: May 21, 2014 4:14 PM

Cordarelle Patterson reminds me of a Cordarelle Patterson.

There is only one like him.

He’s his own unique top 5 NFL Reciever.

3. 4thqtrsaint says: May 21, 2014 4:15 PM

If only Newton reminded him of Tom Brady…

4. holla2626 says: May 21, 2014 4:15 PM

“Hey Greg Hardy, can I borrow that AK-47? Club Buddah is calling my name and I need some protection tonight.”

- KB

5. twilson962 says: May 21, 2014 4:16 PM

Then please please please do not let him wear sweatpants to the club!

6. finleye says: May 21, 2014 4:18 PM

Haters gonna hate. Welcome to the NFC South, Kelvin.

7. doctorrustbelt says: May 21, 2014 4:21 PM

“When I watch him, I think I am watching Plaxico Burress”

- Gustav Gettleman (Berlin 1933)

8. teek77 says: May 21, 2014 4:34 PM

Before the draft, Benjamin was my 1st choice for the Panthers. Evans was another good receiver but with Johnny F-Ball at QB , he usually had 30-60 seconds to get open. He won’t have that long to get open in the NFL. Gentleman made a good choice.

9. rickywatts80 says: May 21, 2014 4:46 PM

Reminds me of Mike Williams.

10. pancaketaco says: May 21, 2014 4:52 PM

Reminds me of a guy that has as many catches in the NFL as all of us.

Gettleman quick question…with no NFL caliber OT’s on the roster how is Cam getting him the ball?

11. chaseutley says: May 21, 2014 5:13 PM

Limas Sweed also reminded people of Plaxico.

12. datageek94 says: May 21, 2014 5:20 PM

“Gettleman also said the team wasn’t turned off by negative reports about Benjamin’s character.”

And that, my friends, is the biggest problem with the NFL right now.

13. rodh32340 says: May 21, 2014 5:35 PM

He is RAW but a blessed receiver…best I saw all year but I live in N. fla ..so he was in a lot of games I scouted.

14. kylexitron says: May 21, 2014 5:40 PM

Plaxico says, “I used to be a football player like you, and then I took an arrow to the knee.”

15. claymatthewshairplugs says: May 21, 2014 5:53 PM

“Dwayne Jarrett reminds me of Randy Moss”

- Dave Gettleman

16. wallabear says: May 21, 2014 5:54 PM

Dag! Thought you meant OchoUno (T.O.). But Plaxico… eeww!

17. bassplucker says: May 21, 2014 6:00 PM

Benjamin strikes me as a kid who might have some problems with his weight every now and then. I’m not sure I would have made him a 1st round pick but then there weren’t many teams in worse shape at WR before the draft than the Panthers so I can see it, I guess.

18. slamtrackslikeqbsacksfromlt says: May 21, 2014 6:10 PM

Besides the height, I dont really see the comparison here. Plaxico was faster, had better hops, and a skinnier frame. Not knocking Benjamin, but I’d compare him to a taller Boldin if I had to pick a guy.

19. thrstr says: May 21, 2014 6:19 PM

“Watching Kelvin Benjamin reminded me of a young Plaxico Burress”
    so he thinks he will have a few decent games then fail epically?

20. tee1227 says: May 21, 2014 6:28 PM

As a Saints fan this kind of made me chuckle. A young Plaxico Burress? You better hope the outcome is different.

21. mrlaloosh says: May 21, 2014 6:44 PM

Is he like Quick Draw McGraw? Make him take a gun safety course.

22. thegreatgabbert says: May 21, 2014 6:49 PM

Even Plax is smarter than this guy. Benjamin had a 7 on his Wonderlic test.

23. justintuckrule says: May 21, 2014 6:54 PM

Keep hatin’ on Plax. My man caught the dagger against the undefeated Pats. If not, Giants likely lose and we’d be listening to Pats’ fans saying “best ever” til the end of time. He did us all a favor and you should thank him for it.

24. calibama707 says: May 21, 2014 7:30 PM

He will be a star in yr two book it

25. uglydingo says: May 21, 2014 7:44 PM

Benjamin was described by a draft analyst as being just a good cheeseburger away from playing Tight End.

26. qdog112 says: May 21, 2014 7:47 PM

Big kid. Better keep him from that Church’s Chicken on Beatties Ford Road. Chicken on steroids. Not only will he test positive, he’ll be 260 before you know it.

Kids his size are running 4.5s. He’s at 4.61. A couple biscuits and he might be Olsen’s TE replacement. He’s on my team, so I hope he succeeds.

But I never listen to anything Gettleman has to say. He thinks he’s stand up comedian. We’ll see how funny he is after week 6.

27. hammertime1280 says: May 21, 2014 11:38 PM

This was an awesome pic if you watch the taoe id much rather have him over evans. Gilbert and benjamin are the silent gems of the draft. Nice work getting him, he is big and goes after that ball with aggresion. He is megatron,boldin and demaryus in one. He might not start out the fastest but for a 2 or 3 yr span he will put up numbers even watkins cant touch!

28. djshnooks says: May 21, 2014 11:55 PM

The wonderlic means nothing. And at his size, the 40-yard dash means nothing. He is not there to out-run guys, he is there to out-jump them. He is a stud WR, and between Cam’s athleticism and KB’s catch-radius, I don’t think OT will be that big of a concern either. They’ll be just fine.

29. ncphinsfan says: May 22, 2014 12:13 AM

Way too many critical Drops when it mattered most… Yeah, he is like Plaxico.

30. jasongrosecarl says: May 22, 2014 9:31 AM

hope he doesn’t shot himself in the leg

31. mackie66 says: May 22, 2014 2:50 PM

Better watch that OMG thing,,,one NFL player has already been sent to a 2 day re-education camp for posting OMG, and never type horrible.

32. jgedgar70 says: May 27, 2014 4:30 PM

Hog mollies, blue goose, OMG catches…

Well, Jim Rome made a nice career for himself creating a new language. Maybe Jerry Reese’s meetings had one and DG is just using it in public. What I know for sure is that DG was part of a front office that got 2 titles and we have never had back-to-back winning seasons. So I’ll give DG’s new language another year or two before passing final judgment.

33. bobbmills83 says: Jun 2, 2014 5:00 PM

Kelvin Benjamin aka “optimus prime” nuff said. We now have the second transformer installment on this panther receiving corps at Cams disposal. Great move Dave and ron in crew spoting this incredible talent. The next ten years should be fun!