Ndamukong Suh suggests he could have been drafted elsewhere

Ndamukong Suh AP

Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh spoke to reporters Wednesday for the first time since his return to Detroit for offseason work, but he left them with more questions than answers.

He didn’t offer much in the way of updates on his contract situation, though he added this was the last time he’d talk about it, but then left the podium after dropping what might have been a bombshell (but might have just been him jabbering).

“Probably a lot of you guys don’t know, I could have gone elsewhere when I was drafted,” Suh said, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press“Had that decision in my hands. I chose not to take it because that’s just the way I saw it.”

Asked how he could have gone somewhere else, Suh replied: “There’s many ways to do things. You can drop down in the draft, you can move up.”

When it was mentioned that that wasn’t necessarily his choice, he said: “It is my choice. It is for sure, my choice. But like I said, that’s water under the bridge.

“I’m here in Detroit, I’m happy to be here in Detroit.”

He was asked for more clarification, but apparently walked off without answering how he might have steered this process.

His contract situation might not be progressing the way he hoped, but trying to rewrite history and pull a post-facto Eli seems like a stretch, unless it’s his way of telling the Lions he wants out. But he said he didn’t, so who knows really what he was getting at?

Permalink 102 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
102 Responses to “Ndamukong Suh suggests he could have been drafted elsewhere”
  1. ariani1985 says: May 21, 2014 12:49 PM

Could always be worse Suh, you could have been drafted by the clown college in green Bay.

2. dbones750 says: May 21, 2014 12:50 PM

He’s an idiot.

3. hakunamangata says: May 21, 2014 12:50 PM

Glad to see your antics aren’t just restrained to on the field incidents.

4. tennesseeoilers says: May 21, 2014 12:50 PM

This guy makes Albert Haynesworth look like the Rev. Reggie White.

5. timmmah10 says: May 21, 2014 12:51 PM

Yeah… that’s the way to win the fans back to your corner…

6. djg209 says: May 21, 2014 12:51 PM

Can you get a concussion while at a press conference?

7. reesesteel23 says: May 21, 2014 12:51 PM

He’s probably right. Fans don’t want to hear that though.

8. holla2626 says: May 21, 2014 12:53 PM

I hear the Alouettes offered him 25 gallons of maple syrup to forgo the NFL draft….but he wouldn’t settle for less than 50.

9. thetroofishere says: May 21, 2014 12:54 PM

Huh?

10. onebigredrocket says: May 21, 2014 12:55 PM

Who is this clown? Marbles are falling out of his ears

11. mattsffrd says: May 21, 2014 12:55 PM

He could have pulled an Eli and refused to play I guess.

12. titansbro says: May 21, 2014 12:57 PM

Lol, what the heck is that? Odd statement. I guess he could’ve gone to the CFL?

13. punkyqb says: May 21, 2014 12:57 PM

Could have ended up on the Cleveland.

14. jjb0811 says: May 21, 2014 12:59 PM

Tough enough rooting for the Skins and Jags but can you imagine being a Lions fan? At least I can hang my hat on 3 super bowls and a couple of AFC championship games. What does Detroit have record amount of 1st round bust?

15. hyzers says: May 21, 2014 12:59 PM

He’s not even a top 10 DT in the league and I heard he’s lazy and even stomped a guys face into a bloody pulp! I totally wouldn’t want him on my team!

16. 12444uggg says: May 21, 2014 1:00 PM

So he choose Detroit? This is some odd manipulation/rewriting of history, that doesn’t seem to be likely true.

17. johnnycash19 says: May 21, 2014 1:02 PM

I thought teams drafted players, I didn’t know the players drafted the teams.

Now I understand why teams never win the Super Bowl.

Like what the hell is he trying to say?

18. stewart09 says: May 21, 2014 1:04 PM

Did he realise he said something incredibly stupid so to avoid doing it again he ran away?

19. purpleguy says: May 21, 2014 1:04 PM

Well, at least it’s good to see he cleared up all the hulaballoo over the lack of attendance at off-season workouts.

20. yate3097 says: May 21, 2014 1:04 PM

The only place that he could’ve moved up to in the draft is to the Rams @ #1 overall. I doubt that though, because St Louis needed a quarterback at that time and drafted Sam Bradford.

21. baltimoresnativeson says: May 21, 2014 1:05 PM

All of you guys talking smack would gladly take him on your defensive line.

22. chieftaindawg says: May 21, 2014 1:06 PM

I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let’s face it…

23. foofooface says: May 21, 2014 1:07 PM

Beat reporters are just getting on his nerves, they’re much more critical of him than the fans are. Glad he actually said he’s happy to be in Detroit tho.

24. abqpacker says: May 21, 2014 1:08 PM

he could have tested positive at the combine so as to fall further down the draft board??? (maybe?)

25. bsandersislegend20 says: May 21, 2014 1:10 PM

Media just needs to shut up and let this man work.

26. icanspeel says: May 21, 2014 1:11 PM

Albert Haynesworth 2.0. Will get the big contract and quit trying

27. grantsbuds says: May 21, 2014 1:11 PM

The fictional goo between this guys ears compares to Millens drafts.

28. fishfiletkray says: May 21, 2014 1:11 PM

Gerald McCoy>Suh

29. peopletrains says: May 21, 2014 1:11 PM

Suh is a head case who is a minute from midnight.

30. dadsource says: May 21, 2014 1:12 PM

He meant hit a blunt and get caught to drop to another team, that Detroit should feel blessed to have him….smh

31. grantsbuds says: May 21, 2014 1:13 PM

Team has talent but with ‘leaders’ like this delusional kid talent leads to regular seasons.

32. izlez says: May 21, 2014 1:14 PM

Good job leaving out the majority of the quote to paint the picture that you want

33. 106reasons says: May 21, 2014 1:14 PM

As a Redskins fan, I deeply resent the remark that Suh is Haynesworth 2.0 lol.

Haynesworth’s uselessness as a football player is unmatched.

Suh is a minor disappointment in comparison.

34. firejerry says: May 21, 2014 1:15 PM

Suh is simply a jerk…..

35. raiders4ever says: May 21, 2014 1:15 PM

who wants to play for the Lions ..the Lions have not even been to a super bowl EVER

36. jaglazer says: May 21, 2014 1:17 PM

why is this so outlandish? teams meet with players before the draft. couldn’t a player could buttfumble or otherwise express disinterest in a team at that meeting?

37. crabtreeisapunk says: May 21, 2014 1:18 PM

He was probably asked in pre-draft interviews if he would like to be a Detroit Lion and it sounds like he wishes he had said “no” right up front. He’ll be gone soon anyways. He’d be happier back in the hicks with GB.

38. notthetroll says: May 21, 2014 1:20 PM

Unrequited love Detroit fans. We know you love him, but someone who loves you back wouldn’t say that. The translation is…Be happy I’m here and shut up.
    Sorry

39. bigb8989 says: May 21, 2014 1:20 PM

The reporters are morons if they keep asking how. As I agree it wasn’t smart for him to say that, he is right. In today’s nfl with the money thrown into these contracts if he doesn’t want to play/get drafted somewhere his agent could make it so and with relative ease. Would you draft a guy that high if he was gonna be a problem from minute 1? Exception bengals….

40. harrisonhits2 says: May 21, 2014 1:20 PM

The guy is obviously happy being on a terrible team as long as he’s getting paid big dollars.

41. imthedudedude says: May 21, 2014 1:20 PM

Really?! omg you could have been drafted elsewhere?! how this is not breaking news???!!!

42. kamthechancellor says: May 21, 2014 1:21 PM

This guy is more drama than a teenage girl.

43. bassplucker says: May 21, 2014 1:22 PM

Wow… barely into OTAs and it is very clear that Caldwell has his hands more than full. For his sake I hope he’s up to it but as a Bears fan I’m loving it that all indications point to the same self-imploding Lions for another season.

44. rjserratosportsmix says: May 21, 2014 1:23 PM

I’m 100% on board if Suh chooses not to be at Voluntary camp. Suh isn’t here for fan and media appeasement. Media is orchestrated a witch hunt to run Suh out of Detroit and everyone is buying into it. Not me. I’m sure the vast majority will do a 180 when Suh blows opposing QB’s this season. Let’s not be blindsided that he’s playing a lucrative contract. See everyone else on the Suh bandwagon in September…or January!

45. jm91rs says: May 21, 2014 1:23 PM

This guy’s attitude is one of several things that will keep him from being a great player. He went #2 overall, yet has been outplayed significantly by the #120 pick in the draft Geno Atkins. Geno already got his big pay day, because he doesn’t do stupid things off the field and dominates on it. Gerald McCoy is arguably more valuable than Suh at this point too. If he would just shut up and play (and stay out of the car after drinking) he could be a great.

46. 3yardsndust says: May 21, 2014 1:25 PM

Goo for brains.

47. jeff2380 says: May 21, 2014 1:26 PM

Glad the bucs got McCoy he’s a better player and a class act. I think the lions would have chose McCoy if they could do it all over again.

48. shayeezy says: May 21, 2014 1:28 PM

what a nutjob

49. ttime90 says: May 21, 2014 1:29 PM

I honestly don’t think he will re sign back in Detroit. If he walks at end of the season I simply am not gonna lose my sleep over it. His 22.5 mil cap number will come off the books and the salary cap per each time will also increase about 10 million next year. Those two alone will give lions about 32 million in cap. Last year lions got quin, bush and jones for 9.5 mil in cap. So with my case I’m willing to let suh walk and allow us to regain his cap number in order to sign up to 5 contributors that will make an immediate impact and not have to worry about one players ridiculous contract pre CBA changes and actually make the lions a legitimate contender.

50. bbb82 says: May 21, 2014 1:29 PM

He makes about as much sense as the Chewbacca defense.

51. goodellisruiningtheleague says: May 21, 2014 1:29 PM

Mr. Suh, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

52. vdogg says: May 21, 2014 1:32 PM

Banish him to Jags or Raiders…

53. izlez says: May 21, 2014 1:34 PM

Reporters: “Do you want to be in Detroit?”

Suh: “Of course. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t be here. I want to lead them to a championship”

Fans: “See! He’s a nutcase! He’s a jerk! He hates Detroit! He wants out! He is a plague to the team!”

54. schmitty2 says: May 21, 2014 1:38 PM

Without a shadow of a doubt one of most talented turds in the whole league.

55. myopinionisrighterthanyours says: May 21, 2014 1:40 PM

Ryan Leaf 2.0. Didn’t he “affect” his draft stock, too? The Lions did get a little more out of this head case. Gerald McCoy will be his Peyton Manning.

56. gustavejfrerotte says: May 21, 2014 1:40 PM

Whatever you have to tell yourself, Suh.

57. billsfan1 says: May 21, 2014 1:42 PM

Id rather take Kyle Williams or any number of DT’s that may not be quite as talented as he is, but will give 100% every time.

58. doncherry81 says: May 21, 2014 1:42 PM

Lion-ized.

59. contra74 says: May 21, 2014 1:43 PM

Smart of him to steer clear of Green Bay. Who wants to hear clown music during practice?

60. Norseman says: May 21, 2014 1:46 PM

Be interesting to see how the Lions coaching staff and players try to spin this one….

61. alamba78 says: May 21, 2014 1:50 PM

I think what he’s eluding to is the fact that he could have purposely got in some trouble pre-draft to cause his draft status to plummet, going to a playoff contender. Obviously, his agent would have had to have talks with certain teams to inform them of Suh’s intentions. Would he have lost out on millions? Sure. But, he would have been on a team he wanted to be on. He would have gotten a new contract after his rookie deal anyway.

This just makes it crystal clear that he doesn’t like being a Lion but can’t outright say that, risking alienating his teammates and coaches. Fans? Somehow, I doubt he gives a flying foot about the fans.

62. thestrategyexpert says: May 21, 2014 1:53 PM

He sounds like a man that is not happy or on the same page with his employer and that’s not good.

63. tedmurph says: May 21, 2014 1:55 PM

What a show of respect to his team and new coach. He’s trying to shoot his way out of town. I agree, once someone pays him his 2nd contract, it’s Haynesworth 2.0.

64. arcuesta730 says: May 21, 2014 1:55 PM

And now we return you to your regular program……

65. radiofriendly420 says: May 21, 2014 1:58 PM

Izlez is right. 100% on the money.

66. kazkal says: May 21, 2014 2:03 PM

What a Crybitch,He’s already the highest paid Defensive Tackle and he’s not even the Best DT that was taken that year.

He can’t even hold Geno Atkins Jock Strap.

67. proudblack says: May 21, 2014 2:05 PM

Suh could be GREAT, if he’d shut up and just play. Also, he’s gotta make smarter decisions on the field. I love his aggressiveness and the ferocious vigor he plays with, but there’s no place in the league for some of the stunts he’s pulled, e.g., blatantly stomping on other players.

68. gashmr says: May 21, 2014 2:06 PM

He could have very easily influenced the draft with his mind powers…

“This is not the DT you are looking for….”

He studied under Yoda….”sane, you are not”.

69. docsweeney says: May 21, 2014 2:08 PM

Yet another example of an athlete with million dollar talent and a ten-cent head.

Just play. I’m sure you will be fairly compensated. Why all the pouting and posturing?

70. vtown77 says: May 21, 2014 2:12 PM

Cheap shot and stupid
    He would fit in on Seattles squad

71. ragnarthemagnificent says: May 21, 2014 2:14 PM

Let me know how alienating the fan base works for you Donkey. How many teams win a superbowl because of the DT? ZERO. He is replaceable. While he is a great player at his position, he is not essential. He will never again get paid what he did on his first contract.

Detroit is one of the most exciting and up and coming teams in the NFL, if he’s not happy there, he shan’t be happy anywhere. He’s doing a great job at lowering his trade value and his future contract value. If that is what he’s trying to do, then congrats.

72. mickmars says: May 21, 2014 2:15 PM

And I could’ve married Scarlett Johannson

73. truelionsfan says: May 21, 2014 2:17 PM

Everyone who’s not a Lions fan is jealous, or doesn’t know crap about football. All the supposed Lions fans talking trash, you’ll be screaming, why did we let him go when he’s killing Staffy. Suh gets double teamed (sometimes triple)almost every play, and still plays almost every down. Geno was hurt all year, and Gerald McCoy also publicly stated he would never switch positions for a new player, and no one blew that up. Just wait. justin smith is over the last three years the best pass rushing DT. Not Suh, McCoy, or Atkins. Just saying. Suh gets all the attention of the opposition. I’m not sure any other DT does.He can say and act however, just keep eating QBs on Sunday, Monday, and Thusday. GO LIONS!!!!

74. deliveredbysherpa says: May 21, 2014 2:18 PM

I hear the Dolphins are searching for another excellent role model.

75. r8rsfan says: May 21, 2014 2:20 PM

Early alzheimers?

76. 1590t says: May 21, 2014 2:25 PM

IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!

77. beachsidejames says: May 21, 2014 2:29 PM

Well there is what he could have been..where he could have gone… Then theres what he is ..and where he is. And the answer is…unimportant and nowhere.

78. flickaboogie says: May 21, 2014 2:34 PM

So if you read this article without all the undue speculation, he said he chose Detroit and he wants to be there. He could have told the Lions that he didn’t want to play for them and they could have traded their pick. I don’t see the problem.

79. edavidberg says: May 21, 2014 2:35 PM

You have to pay Suh year to year, he can’t be trusted with a huge guaranteed deal.

80. cashedrealitychecknowbroke says: May 21, 2014 2:36 PM

Could be a vague way of saying other teams expressed interest in moving up to the #2 spot to grab him and he told them to save their picks because he wanted to be in Detroit. He may not be the brightest crayon in the box, but it is possible he’s expressing his frustration for Detroit not showing him the same kind of desire to keep him in Detroit as Suh once showed in wanting to be a Lion.

81. jayblack073 says: May 21, 2014 2:40 PM

If it’s water under the bridge then why even bring it up? What is the point of saying that other than to stir up drama? This Suh character is a real piece of work.

82. jaglazer says: May 21, 2014 2:55 PM

weird…. the full quote doesn’t seem to fit PFTs narrative

“I came here for a reason. I had an opportunity — probably a lot of you guys don’t know — I could have gone elsewhere when I was drafted. I had that decision in my hands and I chose not to take it because that’s just the way that I saw it. Same thing when I went to Nebraska. I wanted to be a part of something that wasn’t already set up — on its way to getting better.”

“I want to be one of the cornerstones of it, so that’s what I see myself here in Detroit. Being one of the cornerstones that gets this organization back to a championship level. Like coach Caldwell said, we’re not in a rebuilding year. We’re in a year of going to get a championship and that’s why I want to be here.”

83. radrntn says: May 21, 2014 3:01 PM

all I know is if the lions want to tag him next year it will cost them 28 million to do so….so in other words this guy is going to get a 6 year deal for around 70 -75 million next year.

84. devildog911 says: May 21, 2014 3:07 PM

Big player with little brain.

85. flexx91 says: May 21, 2014 3:16 PM

^^^^^Jealous of the Lions? LOL 0-16 only a few seasons ago and still no Lombardi? Yeah, we’re really jealous of those accomplishments.

86. Sir Bupkis says: May 21, 2014 3:19 PM

He truly is the most unlikable guy in the NFL.

87. sdiegosteel says: May 21, 2014 3:20 PM

I’ve long maintained that Suh was the 21st century Mean Joe Greene who also racked up a lot of unsportsmanlike penalties (back when you had to work to get one of those!) and had anger issues. But at this point in Greene’s career, he had turned the corner and was becoming great and a professional. Time may be running out on Suh from getting that second part of the equation.

88. 1rockyracoon says: May 21, 2014 3:22 PM

He makes it hard for Lions fans to root for him. He thinks he’s a gift for the league.

89. jokick2 says: May 21, 2014 3:35 PM

What a First Class Team…

90. themaddabber says: May 21, 2014 3:50 PM

So we’ve now had plenty of time to judge the Suh-McCoy debate. Gerald McCoy is a better player/teammate/employee/representative to the NFL than Suh. Tampa won that one for sure.

91. beerndrums says: May 21, 2014 3:56 PM

Johnny Cash…..He’s trying to say that he’s glad that he doesn’t play for the Vikings

92. aldavisjr says: May 21, 2014 3:57 PM

Ship this turd to Oakland. Please.

93. jasncondit says: May 21, 2014 4:32 PM

He could have chosen not to come to Detroit just like Deion Sanders did. Deion told the Lions if they were to draft him, he would ask for so much money they wouldn’t be able to afford the rest of the team. Not making that up, Deion wrote about it in one of his books. That is why we ended up drafting Barry Sanders instead. Thank you Deion!

94. fezaz says: May 21, 2014 5:04 PM

It’s true! Suh was poised to be the GREATEST DL in Arena Football history!

95. mrlaloosh says: May 21, 2014 5:05 PM

What was his GPA at Nebraska? Did they even make him go to class?

96. crindal3000 says: May 21, 2014 5:45 PM

Suh is a nice guy except when it comes to football.

97. wallabear says: May 21, 2014 5:49 PM

Did Suh just diss his team and his QB, Matty Stafford? lol

98. etyaps says: May 21, 2014 6:17 PM

We care
    Too much what athletes say! Most of these guys are far from being bright n articulate human beings. I don’t care what Suh says but I do care what he does on the football field cus he’s a terrific players but that’s it…

99. matteyghoukis says: May 21, 2014 11:49 PM

They wouldn’t put up with that ish here in Pittsburgh. They’d tell him to go somewhere else, and he wouldn’t have to ask again we’d pack his bags for him. Bad attitude and a dirty player..

100. bigwalt2990 says: May 22, 2014 6:42 AM

The decision to sign a contract is ultimately the player’s not the organization’s. It doesn’t matter where you get picked in the draft, it’s YOUR choice to sign, or not to sign that first contract.

101. bobsnygiants says: May 22, 2014 11:18 AM

why not , Elway did it , Eli did it ,

102. wipeoutweight says: May 22, 2014 9:25 PM

Get rid of him and get someone who will NOT be such a distraction off of the field ( Speeding, speeding and speeding/evading). He is also a distraction on the field with his STUPID penalties. We could get a few good trades for him!