DeSean Jackson says his teammates love him

New York Giants v Philadelphia Eagles Getty Images

DeSean Jackson has heard the talk that he was cut by the Eagles because he’s a locker-room trouble maker, and he doesn’t appreciate it.

Jackson said in an interview with DJ Skee that in reality, his teammates in Philadelphia were sorry to see him go.

“The funniest thing, man: all this stuff like he’s not a locker room player, he don’t get along with his teammates, the people that really know me, they’re like ‘Man where is all this coming from?’” Jackson said, via Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post. “I had teammates texting me and hitting me up, teammates that’s still on the Eagles right now, like ‘What were they talking about you ain’t a team guy, you don’t get along with people in your locker room?’ Everybody in the locker room loved me, you feel me?”

Jackson also said he appreciated teammates like LeSean McCoy, who has been publicly supportive of Jackson.

“I know who my real homies are,” Jackson said. “The real homies stepped up. My boy LeSean McCoy, one of the best running backs in the NFL, he stepped up, he said some real stuff. But in this league bro, a lot of people are scared and afraid to speak up, because they feel like they’re gonna be the next one cut. They feel like they’re gonna be the next one cut. So the ones that really did step up and speak up, I salute all of them.”

Jackson may be right that his teammates loved him. But for whatever reason, Chip Kelly didn’t like him. And Chip Kelly runs the show in Philadelphia, which is why Jackson is now in Washington.

Permalink 93 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
93 Responses to “DeSean Jackson says his teammates love him”
  1. yourfavoriteteamstinks says: May 22, 2014 6:28 AM

Philly was downright foolish to let Desean go after his best year for such little compensation.
    Just one year after Rick Spielman received a haul for Percy Harvin.

2. urmomsmyho says: May 22, 2014 6:30 AM

Doth protest too much

3. fiverings37 says: May 22, 2014 6:32 AM

as far as he knows

4. ejm845 says: May 22, 2014 6:36 AM

what a jack a–

5. eagleswin says: May 22, 2014 6:37 AM

What’s next, a player by player interview on whether DJax is loved by all?

Wait until DJax burns through the signing bonus money with his rap label. Then see how well he’s liked.

6. mickmars says: May 22, 2014 6:39 AM

Sure they do.Let me know how they feel about him after the first time he feels he “didn’t get enough touches”or that he’s underpaid. That should be in about 4 months or so…..

7. NFLisnotreality says: May 22, 2014 6:42 AM

Yup. He’ll fit right in with the red potato skins… only time will tell.

8. dirtydrynn27 says: May 22, 2014 6:43 AM

The Eagles are gonna be sorry they let this guy go!

9. mrbigass says: May 22, 2014 6:46 AM

Hmmm…….where was this outpouring of support when you were released?

10. bmore44 says: May 22, 2014 6:50 AM

That’s right ! Shut your mouth and work. Does anyone “STEP UP ” to their boss ? LOL. I still can’t believe, some of these clowns are Multi Millionaires.

11. GenXJay says: May 22, 2014 6:56 AM

love his jive talkin’, he knows his gang affiliates still love his-self.

12. So, Goodell, which is it? says: May 22, 2014 6:58 AM

Okay?

13. craigkintexas says: May 22, 2014 6:58 AM

He’s got a lot of growing up to do.

14. mustbechris says: May 22, 2014 6:59 AM

For the record, McCoy is the only Real Homie who defended him. Mike Vick said Jackson needs to grow up, and that was in response to a question about whether he wanted Jackson on the Jets.

Jeremy Maclin is reading this article somewhere and having a hearty laugh. Good one, DeSean.

15. greymares says: May 22, 2014 7:02 AM

Can’t go over the middle, WON’T BLOCK, runs out of bounds when about to be hit, starts fights on the sidelines with coaches, misses or comes late to meetings, and admitted to not giving effort while involved in contract negotiations. WHAT’S NOT TO LIKE ?

16. bobbyhoying says: May 22, 2014 7:02 AM

Time will reveal the truth. Let’s revisit the situation after the season.

17. bullcharger says: May 22, 2014 7:05 AM

He sounds like a complete fool! Why on earth is he still talking about this? His poor little feelings were hurt too badly I guess.

18. addict2sport says: May 22, 2014 7:05 AM

Hey homie.,.if you quack like a ducc, you just might be a ducc, cuhh

19. ravenswhat says: May 22, 2014 7:07 AM

He’s right about fear of getting cut. That whole smear campaign was a huge joke. Just a terrible franchise.

20. psly2124 says: May 22, 2014 7:09 AM

And the award for the most selfish player in the NFL goes to……DeShean Jackson.

21. fanofthegame1 says: May 22, 2014 7:14 AM

Enjoy the basement D-jax.

22. heisthejuan says: May 22, 2014 7:16 AM

This guy might be the least self aware person ever.

23. dlw492 says: May 22, 2014 7:18 AM

I don’t see LeSean retiring with the Eagles- or even playing there past 30

24. babych99 says: May 22, 2014 7:20 AM

You feel me dawg? Know what I’m sayin?

Give it a rest D-Jack, move forward now.

25. rutchaser says: May 22, 2014 7:23 AM

Homies, bros, hitting me up…you are a delightful and intelligent speaker Desean.

26. geniusesq says: May 22, 2014 7:23 AM

Josh McDaniels didn’t like Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall either…..how’d that work out for him.

#NapoleonComplex

HTTR

27. tinytoolalldrool says: May 22, 2014 7:26 AM

Being a Pittsburgh fan I could care less but I hope he has great games against his old team.

28. seabreezes51 says: May 22, 2014 7:32 AM

If Jackson had any trade value he would have been traded. Even Washington didn’t want to trade for him. No one did.

29. eaglesw00t says: May 22, 2014 7:33 AM

Im really sorry to see him go as a player. He was very exciting to watch. Ive got his jersey in my closet, and I hate to throw it out.

When all this came out, it sure hit me like something from out of left field.

But the fact is, the Eagles couldnt get a 7th for him in trade. And when he was released, there was interest from only a select few teams, and none of very high quality.

Granted, his contract was outrageous for the trade part…but the fact that any coach who has worked with him expressed that they had 0 interest in him is telling. Dont tell me Andy Reid had interest either, because PFT had an article quoting him that said “absolutely not”. The only thing saying he had interest was speculation.

30. giantsfan82 says: May 22, 2014 7:34 AM

One trick pony

31. hotfire6388 says: May 22, 2014 7:37 AM

If this interview was done with DJ Skee it must be legit. Guy is the next Anderson Cooper.

32. grantsbuds says: May 22, 2014 7:45 AM

When dude is broke as a joke, like TO, he still won’t get it.

33. ronin262 says: May 22, 2014 7:47 AM

Desean always keeps it real………stupid

34. rumblefsh9 says: May 22, 2014 7:55 AM

We feel you, monica…fall back….aint no thang….

35. themonkeyman says: May 22, 2014 7:57 AM

He reminds me of Molly Ringwald character Claire in the Breakfast Club “everyone loves me at this school…”

36. kastout11 says: May 22, 2014 7:58 AM

Just because a few guys said they loved him does not mean all of them did. Just ask Jason Kelce. In Washington, they will love him until he starts bitching that he is not getting the ball thrown his way enough, even during games his team wins. He is and always has been selfish. It is all about Desean and him getting the ball. Wins are secondary to him, behind success that he achieves individually.

37. kst2074 says: May 22, 2014 8:02 AM

Redskins got a hell of a player, REDSKINS will win the NFC east HTTR

38. russrpm says: May 22, 2014 8:02 AM

Almost word for word what T.O. said when he left Philly and Dallas.

39. uncletuna says: May 22, 2014 8:02 AM

Desean Constant: Mouth > Production

40. bmorepositive123 says: May 22, 2014 8:03 AM

Well it was in an interview with “DJ Skee” so it must be 100% informative…

41. politicallyincorrect says: May 22, 2014 8:08 AM

you have to laugh at Eagles…. cowards simply did not own up to reasons they let DJax go…

there is a reason the Eagles are the NFC East laggard… only team to have never won a damn thing (all other division teams have minimum of 3 SB wins)

42. doubleogator says: May 22, 2014 8:14 AM

His new teammates love him, just ask him….

43. therealtrenches says: May 22, 2014 8:14 AM

Desean claims his teammates loved him. But then, in the very next breath, he goes on to contradict himself by saying he knows who his real homies are, suggesting that there were really only a few who liked him.

He really is dumber than air.

44. tory707 says: May 22, 2014 8:19 AM

I can’t wait till he blows up in washingtons face. They deserve it. It will happen. Trust me.

45. titusyoungslegalcounsel says: May 22, 2014 8:21 AM

DJ Skee?

So is anyone now qualified to call themselves a DJ? Thanks MTV

46. getyourownname says: May 22, 2014 8:23 AM

He and Little Danny should form a support group.

47. Grulks says: May 22, 2014 8:24 AM

Doesnt matter if your teammates flat out loved you (they didn’t), you wore out your welcome with the coach and GM. The fact that you not only cant grasp this, but speak about which “homies” know the real you, is glaring.

Normally I’d tell you that if you don’t like what you see in the mirror, don’t break the glass, change the reflection. In your case you’re too immature to understand that, youd rather not take any responsibility for anything, you just want to explain away why you are where you are.

48. dxh02 says: May 22, 2014 8:26 AM

The Eagles salute you, too, bro… a one finger salute in your honor.

49. burgundyandgold says: May 22, 2014 8:28 AM

I really dislike this kid. He should at least try to speak like a grown man. I would have preferred that the Skins have not signed him. No arguing his talent but I have a hard time even looking at him – and no, I don’t think he is a bad person or a criminal or gangbanger. He just reminds me of an obnoxious adolescent – who has time for that? You feel me bro?

50. officialgame says: May 22, 2014 8:31 AM

All you need is love, dog.

51. timbuttrum says: May 22, 2014 8:31 AM

Little concerned about the fact that he is making the statement that “my teammates love me” rather than “I love my teammates”. Very self centered.

52. iamdinguskhan says: May 22, 2014 8:32 AM

This is going to be interesting to see how this all plays out. If he lights it up in Washington Chip will have mud in his face and look like a egomaniac to his team and fans but if DJax fails the Chip will look like a genius… Great storyline to follow 2014

53. crubenst says: May 22, 2014 8:37 AM

Lazy insubordinates are even worse when they’re well liked. They might get some followers in the locker room. Time to poison Washington….

54. gobs56 says: May 22, 2014 8:40 AM

Eagles gunna regret that one.. Laughable

55. 10elite says: May 22, 2014 8:41 AM

Perhaps the issue wasn’t that guys in the locker room didn’t like him, perhaps the issue was that the younger guys in the locker room were actually looking up to him. As a coach, he isn’t the guy I want my other players emulating.

56. bobbybudnick says: May 22, 2014 8:41 AM

Notice that HE is the one saying that?

57. b3nz0z says: May 22, 2014 8:42 AM

anyone who thinks “everyone” loves them is incorrect

58. eaglesou says: May 22, 2014 8:44 AM

It sounds like Jackson is suffering from high school jock syndrome.
    Under the assumption that everyone loved him when really people
    Just accepted him, being embraced in the locker room is absolutely different. Those people that so called stepped up to speak on his behalf they didn’t go out of their way to dismiss the allegations so obviously something was true. DeSean clearly believes he’s loved instead of celebrated, I mean who wouldn’t be happy about 82 catches 1332 yards and 9 touchdowns.

59. bhindenemylines says: May 22, 2014 8:47 AM

As long as they’re wearing the right Colors and throwing the right gang signs, sure.

60. trollingforjustice says: May 22, 2014 8:54 AM

just let it go dude…….get your revenge on the field

61. copperchrome says: May 22, 2014 8:59 AM

The fact that he talks about some teammates as “his real hommies” and identifies some as “the ones who really know me” just indicates that Jackson doesn’t get it.

How much time did Peyton spend talking about the Colts after he got cut? Is Ware chirping about Jerry Jones?

The answer, Desean, to all of these questions is: “I really enjoyed my time in Philadelphia. I’ve still got some great friends there and I’ll always have great memories. They decided to go in a different direction and I’m really happy to be a part of the Washington organization. I’m so excited about our team and the things this offense is capable of.”

Or, y’know, you could get caught up in questions about whether the Eagles mislead the media, and your reputation, and how popular you are with everyone.

Best of luck.

62. dycenyne says: May 22, 2014 9:09 AM

I’m sure teammates love guys who are all about themselves and ask for pay raises every year. Guys like Jason Kelcy kept it real too and went out on twitter supporting the move. Is he afraid of being cut too? Funny thing is Desean just wen to the biggest circus to formally end his career as a joke.

63. rickywatts80 says: May 22, 2014 9:11 AM

Reminds me of Victor Hampton’s “I’m not a bad guy” tweet.

If you feel the need to tell people something that should be a given, you’re probably lying.

64. blkandgld4eva says: May 22, 2014 9:17 AM

I’m sure they love him now, but that relationship will go south. It will happen after his first sideline blowup complaining to RGIII why he isn’t getting 10 passes thrown his way because he’s wide open on every play.

65. bigsam64 says: May 22, 2014 9:17 AM

if he has to tell everyone his team mates love him…. do they ???

66. birdgang321 says: May 22, 2014 9:23 AM

I see this as a 50/50 thing, the eagles did him dirty by covering up the fact they didn’t want to pay him with the bad character stuff. On the other hand Jackson is a moron and was never a leader or perhaps even liked by the locker room. Can’t forget how many times he let us down in the post season too.

67. gotdressedinabooth says: May 22, 2014 9:27 AM

Question to all those posting negatively about Desean:
    Were you in the locker room?

I would imagine not. With that being said, who’s to say. Maybe he is exaggerating, or (my guess) maybe Chip Kelly had a little success in his first year and is totally power tripping. You work with players like that, players who take punt returns to the house and win games that send you to the playoffs. We’ll see how long Chip thrives with all that offense and no defense. Anybody got Peyton’s number?

68. whodeytrox says: May 22, 2014 9:28 AM

The people who thought he was a freaking jerk aren’t going to call him or text him asking “what are they talking about”….You feel me?

69. stini777 says: May 22, 2014 9:34 AM

All of Donovan’s new teammates loved him too…how did that work out?

70. sdffa11 says: May 22, 2014 9:42 AM

Some of you making comments are stupid. Yes it was time for him to move on and I got sick of him too but I NEVER heard him complain about not getting the ball enough. He had other issues on why he was cut (late to meetings, bad attitude with coaches, etc) but if you’re going to smear his reputation, tell the truth.

71. tmcrouch1 says: May 22, 2014 9:51 AM

Was watching all time free agent signing busts on Nfl network a couple days ago and Washington was #1 with all their free agent signing(s) throughout history. I guess they’ll have to edit show in a couple years and add Desean to that list.

72. godeepwvu says: May 22, 2014 9:58 AM

Jaccson really needs to look inside a little without the Desean colored glasses.

73. gooseusaf1 says: May 22, 2014 10:00 AM

There is a difference between teammates loving you and teammates putting up with you because they have to, DivaSean.

74. janvanflac says: May 22, 2014 10:17 AM

When the Eagles finally spoke up they said they released him for “Football decision”.

I liked having him on the team but the fact is he disappears against good teams, in big games etc. And he does not deal with adversity, and if there’s one franchise which is guaranteed to have adversity it’s Washington.

No doubt he’ll put up some highlight reel games, but he won’t turn that team into a winner.

75. birdsfan7 says: May 22, 2014 10:25 AM

I am sooooo tired of him already, enjoy last place desean, as for you redskins fans, if you think he will take you to the playoffs, you are even dumber than I thought

76. truthofthefootballbusiness says: May 22, 2014 10:25 AM

…”one of the best RBs,”……, not The best

77. mtsquad says: May 22, 2014 10:28 AM

Yeah.. everyone loves me too!

78. yb1956 says: May 22, 2014 10:41 AM

Jeremy Maclin is still search for the words to say how much Jackson was loved as a team mate.

79. jsrdc says: May 22, 2014 10:49 AM

Yeah, MeSean

We all know who your homies are, too. That is why you got cut from Philly – because of those “homies” who are known to have gang ties.

Dan Snyder is the guy with a proven track record of bringing in high profile FA’s who don’t pan out. He is very much on par with signing you.

Have fun residing at the bottom of the NFC East with the rest of your “homies” in Philly.

80. wallabear says: May 22, 2014 11:09 AM

2014 NFC East: 1. Eagles (11-5); 2. Giants (10-6); 3. Cowboys (8-8); Redskins (6-10)

81. buckethead1 says: May 22, 2014 11:10 AM

Love him like root canal….

82. eaglesfanalways says: May 22, 2014 11:33 AM

DeSean complains about his contract during the post-game interview following the playoff loss to the Saints…and he claims he’s universally loved by his teammates? What am I missing here?

83. iceburgskin202 says: May 22, 2014 12:17 PM

It’s funny how this has become a issue the Eagles are and have always been cheap 10.5 wasn’t worth it in a reciever heavy draft all these fake eagles followers wanna trash the dude it shows the class act y’all fans have been year after year smh!! HTTR

84. intelligent cement says: May 22, 2014 12:22 PM

The real issue here is…

What exactly is a DJ Skee?

85. hotep999 says: May 22, 2014 12:22 PM

Dey luh some MeJax!!

86. 1phillyphan says: May 22, 2014 12:51 PM

he still hasn’t learned…Just shut Up D jax….you were not cut because some team mates didn’t like you. You were cut because you are a punk. You missed team meetings, You admitted to not playing hard when you wanted a new contract. after you received the contract, you cried about wanting to be top 3 highest paid WR’s in league. Even though before Chip you NEVER finished top 30 in the NFL in receptions, never finished top 20 in yrds, or never top 25 in TD’s !! All D Jax wants to do is run his corny little rap label and be a part of the rap scene. Your rap song sucked, you stable or rappers suck, and you burn through money like its going out of style. Most of us Philly Phans wanted you gone 2 yrs ago.. watch as the Eagles WR crew of Maclin, Cooper, Mathews, Huff and TE Ertz light the league on fire. You’re too small, too mouthy, not a team first guy and just too into yourself to to do anything in DC but make one play ( run straight and fast)..Bye d jax..see ya week 3

87. sjoyner59 says: May 22, 2014 12:58 PM

Season ticket holder for 30 years and I have seen this act before with Reggie White,Trotter and now D Jackson. They can run the Eagles how they choose but when you part with a all pro wide out that 60 of his 82 catches were for first downs (its all about moving the chains is it not?) and get nothing for him you dropped ball.I think the Eagles made a good move in drafting the wide out Matthews as I think he has what it takes to be a great player who would have even been better playing next to a burner like DeSean Jackson ….his speed with Matthews size and physical play .This was all about saving 10 million,they better be right as they play a much tougher schedule and will sneak up on no one this year

88. afcdomination says: May 22, 2014 1:10 PM

wow. I would break those comments down and act surprised someone would talk about themselves like that—-

but why? this is d-jax. there is a reason one of the most WR needy teams(KC) who has a coach who drafted the guy, didn’t even return calls in regards to jackson

89. thatsjustchipper says: May 22, 2014 1:23 PM

Chip and co. are vindicated with each successive word out of his mouth

90. fartweasel says: May 22, 2014 1:50 PM

Not surprising the Eagles cut him. Instead of saying something like, “yeah, I should have done this or that and I’m sorry for how I acted”, he chooses to take no responsibility for the split by saying his buddies supported him and his antics. Typical spoiled athlete that can’t or won’t own up to their problems. Talented young man, I hope he grows up.

91. bigfuzzy says: May 23, 2014 6:28 AM

And how many of those teammates have come out in his defense? 1?

92. bigfuzzy says: May 23, 2014 6:29 AM

And how many of those teammates have come out in his defense? One, two?

93. politicallyincorrect says: May 23, 2014 8:56 AM

Eagles are the lone NFC East team to have never.. NEVER.. won a thing………. all others have at least 3 SB wins… why would anyone trust or ascribe any significance to the Eagles

and.. we all know Eagles lacked courage to say why they let DJax go and leaked misinformation to hide this lack of honesty and guts