Dolphins sign LB Jordan Tripp, WR Matt Hazel

Jordan Tripp AP

The Dolphins have reached deals with two more draft picks.

Linebacker Jordan Tripp (fifth round) and wide receiver Matt Hazel (sixth round) are the latest draft choices to sign with Miami, the club announced Friday.

The 6-foot-3, 234-pound Tripp recorded 100 tackles and hauled in three interceptions as a senior at Montana in 2013. He’ll likely compete for a reserve role on defense and playing time on special teams.

Hazel (6-1, 198) caught 70 passes for 990 yards and nine touchdowns for Coastal Carolina a season ago.

“We felt like (he) was a receiver with excellent hands, good quickness, good speed and he performed well when the level of competition was raised,” Dolphins G.M. Dennis Hickey said of Hazel after the draft, according to the club.

Like Tripp, Hazel figures as a reserve should he make the roster in Year One.

The Dolphins have now signed 3-of-8 draft picks, with tight end Arthur Lynch (fifth round) the other selection to sign.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “Dolphins sign LB Jordan Tripp, WR Matt Hazel”
  1. uglydingo says: May 23, 2014 11:15 AM

Tripp is very good. He dropped to the 5th round because he comes from Montana. Dolphins got an absolute steal, Tripp has 2nd round natural talent.

2. joemontanawasthegreatest says: May 23, 2014 11:19 AM

All the small school guys they drafted were productive and had good measurables.

3. rodh32340 says: May 23, 2014 11:26 AM

I dunno about some of these picks, I would have found the most successful schools of the past year and drafted any 4-year starting OL that I could uncover.

4. ncphinsfan says: May 23, 2014 12:55 PM

Tripp needs to bulk up a little and has the performance and attitude of a Zach Thomas. I bet he replaces Trusnick and will be a Special Teams Ace THIS year.

Hazel, I am not as high on… We are stocked at WR and plenty of Teams will be reducing from 90 players at Camp. I bet we can find improvements there for Practice Squad.

As for small school comments, they have validity but an athlete is an athlete and will require a little longer to develop them as they were not around the faster more powerful FBS game. However, for skill positions I don’t think it matters much unless they can’t comprehend Playbooks and NFL schemes. This is a major problem for well over 75% of these picks; FCS or FBS.

5. finsbooyah says: May 23, 2014 3:16 PM

Like ncphinsfan said, Tripp has tons of potential and the attitude/work ethic you would want in a LB. But, in college, he missed more tackles than he should have, and that concerns me.

I hated the Hazel selection. After drafting Landry in the 2nd (which I also have some issues with) Hazel is at best a super long shot to make the team. So right off the bat it’s a wasted pick. On top of that, while in college he had the tendency to alligator arm balls over the middle and to me, that is one of the most unforgivable traits a WR can have.

6. thelastpieceofcheese says: May 23, 2014 6:08 PM