Kyle Orton leaning toward retirement, but Cowboys want him to play

kyleorton AP

Cowboys backup quarterback Kyle Orton wants to walk away from the NFL, but he may not be able to afford it.

Orton has told the team he wants to retire, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports. The Cowboys don’t want him to, however, and Rapoport reports that the two sides are currently in a standoff.

Ultimately, this is a standoff Orton would win: If Orton wants to retire, the Cowboys can’t force him not to. But what they can do is force Orton to pay back $3 million of the $5 million signing bonus he received when he signed a five-year contract two years ago. And that’s exactly what the Cowboys will do if Orton walks away.

Maybe Orton has managed his money well enough that he can afford to write Jerry Jones a $3 million check and still have enough to live on for the rest of his life. But the Cowboys seem to be calculating that Orton simply won’t be willing to walk away from that kind of money, on top of the $3.25 million salary he’ll get if he plays the 2014 season.

Officially, the Cowboys are saying they expect Orton to play. If not, Plan B is for Brandon Weeden to back up Tony Romo.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
46 Responses to “Kyle Orton leaning toward retirement, but Cowboys want him to play”
  1. seabreezes51 says: May 23, 2014 6:04 AM

Nothing quite like forcing a disgruntled employee to come to work every day… They add so much to the workplace…

2. wallabear says: May 23, 2014 6:06 AM

Orton was always a great “T-shirt & shorts” QB (read: scrub) who once backed up Rex Grossman in Super Bowl 41. Funny, but, Orton would give the Cowboys a better chance at winning than Roamo [sic].

3. purplengold says: May 23, 2014 6:13 AM

6.25 million reasons to hold a clipboard, I expect him to “play” as well.

4. ubepunkedagain says: May 23, 2014 6:16 AM

Unless you want Weeden to play, you better start sweet talking Orton. Weeden shouldn’t even be in the league let alone a #2.

5. orivar says: May 23, 2014 6:30 AM

He’s only 31 and already leaning towards retirement.

Well if he does so that’s living the life. Retired in your 30s. Who wouldn’t want that? Not being forced to slave a system that gives you nothing when you die and enjoying life in leisure.

6. roth19 says: May 23, 2014 6:42 AM

Romo is the only reason Cowboys are even able to reach 8-8. He gets hurt and Weeden plays!? You’re looking at 3-13 best case scenario.

7. 505c says: May 23, 2014 6:55 AM

He can still afford his Jack Daniels.

8. drfeelyouup says: May 23, 2014 7:02 AM

Dallas fans better hope Weeden never has to play.

9. prgsdw says: May 23, 2014 7:16 AM

SO maybe a little more analysis is in order here…

Orton holds a clip board for most of 2 years in Dallas and then goes out and throws for 346 yards in his first real game in years and thinks “I can start in this league – how do I get out of Dallas?”.

“I want to retire”. So we play this charade of retirement knowing that not showing up will eventually force Dallas’ hand and they will cut him and file a grievance for the $3 million. Meanwhile, Orton goes and finds another team having “thought about it” and “decided” that “he wants to continue playing”… This whole retirement thing is a front – a means to an end – get out of Dallas where he has no chance to start to a place where he does have a chance to start.

10. tominma says: May 23, 2014 7:23 AM

Ah yes, Brandon Weeden, the latest in a long line of stars signed by that great personnel guru, Jerry Jones!

Can we have 3 cheers for Jerry???

11. ravenswhat says: May 23, 2014 7:24 AM

Really Jerry?? The giant jumbotron you put in was worth more. Come on man.

12. Chris says: May 23, 2014 7:27 AM

I don’t get this.

Cowboys are either not confident in Romo’s health, or not confident in Romo in general.

13. beattention says: May 23, 2014 7:28 AM

In as much as I can’t stand Jones he has the right to ask Orton to pay back money owed him if Orton decides to retire.

14. bradyisyourdaddy says: May 23, 2014 7:44 AM

I think the thought of more playing time scares this guy….

Personally I think he’s an upgrade to Tony “Count on me to Collapse when it counts most” Romo.

Looks like another losing season for “Americas Team”

Keep rooting for the playoff expansion “America”

15. bassplucker says: May 23, 2014 7:44 AM

Wow… you’ve got to hate your job pretty bad to be willing to lose $3 mil to be done with it.

16. blackqbwhiterb says: May 23, 2014 8:10 AM

If there’s a Mrs Orton, I can’t imagine she’s going to allow him to loaf around the house all day leaving basically $6.25 million on the table. Ask Brett Favre….

17. cowpiesnotcowboys says: May 23, 2014 8:33 AM

3.25M and the assurance of getting off work in January and February. What’s not to like?

18. dccowboy says: May 23, 2014 8:39 AM

If he retires and pays back the prorated signing bonus,l Dallas would realize a savings of almost 6 mil against the cap. They could use that money to give either Tyronosaurus or Dez a new deal. Most likely Tyronosaurous because that would lower his cap hit for 2015 and they could use that to resign Dez.

Orton has always been a strange one, I’m not sure he ever liked playing football and supposedly he was devastated by that game losing INT against the Eagles last year.

Not sure there’s a big difference between him and Weeden in any case. I hope he does retire and pay back the bonus. Even if he doesn’t Dallas realizes a $1 mil salary cap increase.

19. fordmandalay says: May 23, 2014 8:46 AM

How awful must it be to play for the Cowboys if you’re willing to pay $6 million NOT to?

20. Norseman says: May 23, 2014 9:13 AM

How much work is it to sit on the bench? I think I’d consider that for $5m.

21. dalfanforever says: May 23, 2014 9:21 AM

I’d love to ride the bench for $6M a year. But if he doesn’t want to be there, roll out and give another guy a shot to get to #2.

22. baddegg says: May 23, 2014 9:29 AM

As he’s only 31, I wonder if this is some sort of effort to get out of his contract with Dallas and play with someone else. Can you retire…sit out one year…and then come back a free agent?

Someone drop some knowledge on me. Seems odd to turn down a backup QB gig that will net you multiple millions of dollars…there has to be more to this story.

23. ugadogs21 says: May 23, 2014 9:31 AM

Hmmm…sit on my can and make no money or sit on my can, dress in a uniform once a week and make $6M??

The only thing that might stop me from sticking around is fear that I might have to play if Romo’s back isn’t healed and weekly reminders about that last interception from the press if we don’t win.

So the real question is “do I feel lucky?”

24. kingbishop704 says: May 23, 2014 9:36 AM

I think he hasn’t shook off throwing that interception aganistt the Eagles that cost the team the playoffs..

25. bornahawker says: May 23, 2014 9:46 AM

One more year Kyle, then move back to Iowa and live like a king

26. picksixx says: May 23, 2014 9:49 AM

If I had to guess, I would think Weeden goes into the game before Orton. I wouldn’t call Weeden a bust just yet. They know what Orton has, so it only makes sense to see if Weeden can improve.

27. dbones641 says: May 23, 2014 9:50 AM

Can somebody please tell me why we care of kyle orton plays? I think our defense should be of more concern..

28. mankato98 says: May 23, 2014 10:01 AM

I’m already hoping his Canton bust features a full, magnificent neckbeard…

29. mogogo1 says: May 23, 2014 10:01 AM

Effectively, Orton has been retired since joining the Cowboys. Don’t see why he’d leave money on the retire and officially retire now. He would have had an excellent shot at starting for KC (that was pre-Alex Smith where Matt Cassel was the biggest competition) but took the backup job in Dallas where he predictably has rarely played.

30. shayeezy says: May 23, 2014 10:08 AM

biggest bum in the league

31. nykfanwakemeupin2015 says: May 23, 2014 10:10 AM

The guy could throw better then other starters in the league. The boys circus might have run its welcome for him. I think he wants to play some where else

32. 700levelvet says: May 23, 2014 10:11 AM

How much does that renowned NFL guru Stephen Jones make for wiping glasses so pops can see the mess?

33. johnnyjagfan says: May 23, 2014 10:15 AM

So, Orton does not want to go to work but wants to get paid? Who does this guy think he is? Ed Reed?

34. crewchief15 says: May 23, 2014 10:15 AM

It still amazes me that everybody blames Romo for last year, people that believe that do not understand “Real Football” . I’m a cowboys fan and hate JJ as a GM, but Romo is the least of their problems (can you say Defense)

35. tonyc920 says: May 23, 2014 10:16 AM

The guy never got a fair shake especially going back to his Chicago Bears days. Cleveland should have been hunting this guy down like a hawk 3 years ago.

36. darkneptune73 says: May 23, 2014 10:22 AM

Don’t be a moron, Orton.

37. mljohns says: May 23, 2014 10:25 AM

Let him go and collect the $3 million. If his heart isn’t into playing, he won’t do much if pressed into service anyway. This is why you should have grabbed Murray or McCarron in a latter round of the draft.

38. hardrockfootballfanatic says: May 23, 2014 10:40 AM

I would agree that Orton is one of the better backup’s in the league but the bottom line is he said he didn’t want to play anymore. Don’t you really want a guy on your roster, who doesn’t want to be there?

39. joemontanawasthegreatest says: May 23, 2014 10:47 AM

I remember when he was to be traded to Miami with a chance to start and he balked at that to be a clipboard holder. That was when Parcells was there and the situation was stable.

That says something right there…..

40. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: May 23, 2014 11:14 AM

It may not be good to bring in a QB who really isn’t into playing this year.

Is it possible that Orton is strategically waiting to see just how healed up from back surgery Romo is? If Romo isn’t ready to go, then the need for Orton increases and that could mean more money for him?

41. jerruhjones says: May 23, 2014 11:22 AM

Can’t wait for We-Done to come in when Romo goes down!

How ’bout them Cowboys…bwahahahaahah…..

42. averagjoe says: May 23, 2014 11:28 AM

Passing on Manziel is beginning to look stupid, doesn’t it?

43. lscratchingthesurface says: May 23, 2014 12:12 PM

Orton signed a huge deal to be #2 QB. He was claimed by the Chiefs the season before and when he came in after a Cassel injury, he continued to say this is Matt’s Team. I think he went to Dallas for the money alone and now complains after getting paid?

Kyle, you need to make up your mind and stick with whatever decision you make.

44. footballtalk1 says: May 23, 2014 12:25 PM

6.5 million? Yeah that’s easy to walk away from. See you on the sidelines in September Kyle

45. ytrappin504 says: May 23, 2014 1:31 PM

Cuz he’s sick of jerrah and wants to win

46. wabbitslayer says: May 23, 2014 1:58 PM

I have always been an Orton fan but if he passes up a three million dollar salary AND has to pay three million more back just so he won’t have to stand on the sidelines this fall….he is an unbelievably huge idiot.